• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Sora_N

It was horrifying because I only have a shitty spare, but I rooted my phone last week (Galaxy S4) and I just installed Lollipop on it.

Hope it works....

EDIT:

giphy.gif

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
How's the nexus 6?

I'm getting a new phone and its between that, the note 4 and the iPhone six plus.

If you're at all used to Android, get the N6 or Note 4. I just got an iPhone for work and iOS may be the most archaic OS I've used in a long time.

If you're at all used to Android, get the N6 or Note 4. I just got an iPhone for work and iOS may be the most archaic OS I've used in a long time.

Yeah I love the look of material design and really hate the way ios looks.

But I also don't like that the nexus 6 doesn't have the phablet specific capabilities of the note 4...but I hate the look of touchwuz.

Lots of tradeoffs

How's the nexus 6?

I'm getting a new phone and its between that, the note 4 and the iPhone six plus.
Note 4 'cause you can go from this...

To this in 1 minute and 23 seconds (timed)

:D

On a less biased note (hehe), I think you can't go wrong with either a Note 4 or Nexus 6. I wouldn't get anywhere near an Apple 6 but that's for my personal use reasons. You have to decide what you value more.

Husker86

Note 4 'cause you can go from this...

To this in 1 minute and 23 seconds (timed)

:D

On a less biased note (hehe), I think you can't go wrong with either a Note 4 or Nexus 6. I wouldn't get anywhere near an Apple 6 but that's for my personal use reasons. You have to decide what you value more.

Nexus 6 at least comes with a turbo charger. I just found that out, and it's pretty impressive. Obviously slower than changing a battery, but eh.

People will still whine like children about SD cards, even though they're holding everyone back with their lack of cloud/streaming acceptance.

Yes, because cell coverage already covers 100% of the Earth
All of the 100% of Earth covered by cell coverage is LTE
Data is uncapped and unlimited everywhere on Earth

mrklaw

MrArseFace

How is the size vs 5-5.5" phones? Iphone 6+ is quite a big jump in how big it feels after my lumia 930, so is a 6" going to feel unwieldy? I'd pair with a smart watch to at least not be pulling it out of my trousers/bag all the time.

Nexus 6 seems a safe choice but note 4 would let me play with gear VR..

Hasney

How is the size vs 5-5.5" phones? Iphone 6+ is quite a big jump in how big it feels after my lumia 930, so is a 6" going to feel unwieldy? I'd pair with a smart watch to at least not be pulling it out of my trousers/bag all the time.

Nexus 6 seems a safe choice but note 4 would let me play with gear VR..

It's a very similar size to an iPhone 6 Plus, just a little thicker. The dimple on the back of the phone makes it much easier to hold.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a very similar size to an iPhone 6 Plus, just a little thicker. The dimple on the back of the phone makes it much easier to hold.

Cheers. The iPhone 6's do seem a bit space inefficient - tha cases are quite big for the size of screen. So a more efficient design probably wouldn't feel that much bigger even with a larger screen.

Yeah I'm sure an Android update (that the majority won't get for months and months) meant to fix all the bullshit that came with lollipop is really going to take some fanfare away from Apple's watch revolution.

Hasney

Yeah I'm sure an Android update (that the majority won't get for months and months) meant to fix all the bullshit that came with lollipop is really going to take some fanfare away from Apple's watch revolution.

It'll make me ignore it as I find a way to shove it on my N6. That's minus 1 fanfare and therefore:

b027_bush_mission_accomplished_2050081722-7750.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sony still not based

@roi_rdzdal Hi Roi. The Android 5.0 Lollipop update is only going to be available for the Xperia Z series, we do apologise.

— Sony Xperia (@sonyxperia) March 6, 2015

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It's fine with me because it makes Google news that more predictable.

reKon

Banned
I feel like there is no comforting way to buy a Sony phone these days. You could get screwed at any moment. And now they might close up shop too.

Their hardware is good but if I were someone considering it I'd get an S6 or something instead.

I don't recall them saying that the Lollipop update was coming to other mid range devices and it's well known that suck at updating those other devices. If you bought a mid range Sony phone with high expectations, that's your fault lol. I believe that they said that the update is coming to the ENTIRE Xperia Z line up. This would actually be news if Sony said, "sorry the update won't be coming to the Xperia Z1 phones"

Finally got lollipop on my HTC One m8.

Weather app is installed and running, but you can't actually get to it without going to the play store and telling it to launch from there. Also Firefox no longer works.

This is....not great.

Altazor

Someone I know has a bit of a problem with her Moto G (first-gen). Images are randomly disappearing - both photos she took with the camera and images she downloaded on her cellphone. Apparently it's just images, not other data.

So... faulty unit? Internal memory failure? Just an Android (KitKat, not Lollipop) bug? PLZ HALP

Also is there really any reason to wait on the S6 and not just get a Droid turbo now?

64bit CPU
Cheaper? 64GB version
S6 will probably come out before Turbo gets 5.0

TBH personally I would get the Turbo, 5.0 lacking and everything. I think it's the best phone out right now. Unfortunately it's Verizon only.

Top Bottom