• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I'm just going to leave this here:

DW3bnRd.jpg

What I gather from this pic is HTC RIP, sony lol. LG keep trying. Lenovo I think is in it for the long game, they knew what moto was when they bought em. Samsung could do a lot better if the S6 blows up but if it continues to decline...ouch.

All in all everyone sucks the race to the bottom etc etc. GG.

reKon

Banned
What I gather from this pic is HTC RIP, sony lol. LG keep trying. Lenovo I think is in it for the long game, they knew what moto was when they bought em. Samsung could do a lot better if the S6 blows up but if it continues to decline...ouch.

All of this has been well known for years. It's going to be interesting when Xiaomi comes to the states rebranded as something else. They probably won't be able to be as much iPhone cloning anymore.

Hopefully they'll the prices will still have some sort of effect on at least a small portion of iPhone users as well as the majority of Android users who can recognize high quality handsets and very affordable prices. If Xiaomi can provide a steady supply, it will be like the Vizio of smartphones

LG is lol too. They make slightly less in revenue than Sony.

Apple making so much money on each iPhone isn't a surprise. And they have the world in the bag.

gcubed

And still charging less per phone than Samsung will for the S6.

Well, that isn't too valid of an argument since the expensive features of a Samsung phone are much better quality, but they should still be better at reducing costs than they are.

All the other manufacturers are screwed because they don't make anything in house to reduce the price, and they don't sell enough quantity to get better discounts. Apple can dictate pricing when they sell the insane amount that they do

Wreav

Banned
That's a goofy post when you consider there is Samsung metal inside every iPhone, not to mention the whole Exynos thing.

longdi

Banned
I think Apple Apps store is what keeps people from buying iPhone again and again.

That early ecosystem win!

Im surprised at Sony essentially the distant second to Samsung. If Sony wants to fold up their phone division, the others behind them should too! Their no-show in NA markets is failing them hard.

I think Apple Apps store is what keeps people from buying iPhone again and again.

Im surprised at Sony essentially the distant second to Samsung. If Sony wants to fold up their phone division, the others behind them should too! Their no-show in NA markets is failing them hard.

What's even stupider is that next year will be a lot better because Sony have moved to reduce their fixed cost base by cutting 2000 jobs and they still will barely be making a dent in the market. I have Sony at about $500m for next year, maybe slightly higher now that the Z4 is going to have it's whole life in the next financial year rather than a March shipment like the Z2.

Android is not good for companies who want to make money, it is only good for Google.

The aim, IMO, should be to sell 40-50m devices per year in the $500-600ASP range and not bother with the low and mid-range at all. Concentrate all of their marketing resources at the high end with three phones (compact, main and ultra) and three tablets (compact, main, ultra) per year. Have them all run on the same internal hardware so that the software team can concentrate resources as well.

There is literally no money for anyone in the mid/low sectors when Chinese companies can buy up MTK based boards for $10 and wrap them in plastic with a cheap screen on the front.

Cheebo

Banned
Pretty clearly shows what competition can do to the same ecosystem. It's pc vs mac all over again

The only people that should applaud that high of a profit margin are investors and idiots.

It costs less to buy an iPhone 6 than a Galaxy S6. Apple isn't technically over-charing anyone. They are right in-line with the high-end handsets from Samsung, HTC, and LG. Huge profit margins and prices that are not above the competition at all. That's the dream scenario and they got it.

All the other manufacturers are screwed because they don't make anything in house to reduce the price, and they don't sell enough quantity to get better discounts. Apple can dictate pricing when they sell the insane amount that they do

They have to pay Google to license the Google Play suite of apps. And pay Microsoft for a number of Android patents used as well. Apple doesn't for either (they have a deal with Microsoft where they license patents to each other for free basically).

And lets not forget Google pays Apple A TON to have devices come with Google preloaded as the default search engine for each device. Apple has basically everything worked out perfectly, while Android manufactures have to pay out a lot of random companies that Apple does not.

If the S6 doesn't turn Samsung's falling numbers around I can see that being the death-knell of the Android high-end phone being any kind of focus for any of the OEMs. The focus is pretty much on the verge of being almost entirely focused on the low-end/mid-range.

ecosystem is a large part of it but there are other things. Consistent user experience, top notch hardware with very little issues overall, and another big one is customer service/apple stores.

Google finally put in the back button on Google Play Music on the lockscreen. Thank god. Only issue is that it seems to be GPM only as I tried Shuttle and it didn't allow for it. FFS.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
As long as it does a lot better than the S5. They need to go back to growing not shrinking rapidly. But even a slight improvement over the S5 isn't enough. Has to be big.

SimleuqiR

Apple fuckibg people with their profit margins.

Pretty clearly shows what competition can do to the same ecosystem. It's pc vs mac all over again

The only people that should applaud that high of a profit margin are investors and idiots.

In Apple's defense, no one is being forced to buy their product. Even poor people are willing to pay up the price to own iPhones. I'm not sure how you can break that sort of brand loyalty.

>"Samsung received some 20 million pre-orders for the S6 and S6 Edge _ 15 million of S6 and five million of the S6 Edge **from mobile carriers**, worldwide.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2015/03/133_174831.html

All of that without mounting a shitty bootleg broadway show.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

The Apple App Store is overrated, the difference between it and the Google Play Store is extremely exaggerated. Case in point, I wanted to upload a pic fro my iPhone to Imgur, but they don't even have an Imgur app on iOS.

Yes sometimes iOS gets an app before Android(and sometimes, rarely, vice versa) but that is becoming less and less common and is pretty much isolated to games.

The Apple App Store is overrated, the difference between it and the Google Play Store is extremely exaggerated. Case in point, I wanted to upload a pic fro my iPhone to Imgur, but they don't even have an Imgur app on iOS.

Yes sometimes iOS gets an app before Android(and sometimes, rarely, vice versa) but that is becoming less and less common and is pretty much isolated to games.
there is an imgur app now https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imgur/id639881495?mt=8

And as someone who always owns an ios and android product at the same time I still notice ios getting more quality stuff first all the time whether it's a game or productivity app of some kind. Exceptions here and there but rarely. Throw in tablet apps and it's a no contest.

The fact of the matter is, people who buy apple products are happy with the ecosystem and the product and the customer service. Whereas people who buy other products aren't. Hence the constantly fluctuations or outright plummeting sales.

Avixph

Samsung says Samsung poised to sell more than Samsung sold last time.

No kidding?

Did you read the article?

"Samsung received some 20 million pre-orders for the S6 and S6 Edge _ 15 million of S6 and five million of the S6 Edge from mobile carriers, worldwide. This is the record," a top executive at a leading mobile carrier in Europe told The Korea Times last week at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) expo in Barcelona.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
there is an imgur app now https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imgur/id639881495?mt=8

And as someone who always owns an ios and android product at the same time I still notice ios getting more quality stuff first all the time whether it's a game or productivity app of some kind. Exceptions here and there but rarely. Throw in tablet apps and it's a no contest.

The fact of the matter is, people who buy apple products are happy with the ecosystem and the product and the customer service. Whereas people who buy other products aren't. Hence the constantly fluctuations or outright plummeting sales.

Oh shit, I checked a few days ago, it must have come out just a few days later, downloading now :p

Anyways, the rest of my post stands, I think the differences between the two app stores is very exaggerated, mainly by Apple fanboys.

Is that 20 million number for the first day?
I wouldn't put too much stock in that number as of now lol

Thanks, I needed some confirmation, because that would mean that even Microsoft shipped more Lumia phones than HTC (10.5M in Q4). They're selling them at cost, obviously, but it's still a bit crazy to me, considering that WP and Lumia keeps dying.
aren't the really cheap lumia phones doing well in some territories?

aren't the really cheap lumia phones doing well in some territories?

They are and they're not doing super terrible in Europe, I think (8-10% market share in some countries?), but the global market share is still awful and keeps going down (below 3% now, iirc). And even in Europe Motorola is probably killing them with their E and G phones. I don't see them coming back from this. No new flagship since Q4 2013 definitely doesn't help (the Lumia 930 was launched in May 2014, but is a rebranded Lumia Icon from Nov. 2013 (was Verizon exclusive)). Next flagship is expected to launch with Windows 10. Way too late.

They are and they're not doing super terrible in Europe, I think (8-10% market share in some countries?), but the global market share is still awful and keeps going down (below 3% now, iirc). I don't see them coming back from this. No new flagship since Q4 2013 definitely doesn't help (the Lumia 930 was launched in May 2014, but is a rebranded Lumia Icon from Nov. 2013 (was Verizon exclusive)). Next flagship is expected to launch with Windows 10. Way too late.
windows 10 is basically the last attempt for them. If it doesn't work they need to go back to the drawing board because it's clear people are just not into the OS/brand/etc...

Or Microsoft can continue to sink money into it hoping to change that. They can afford both options.

Talon

WP is attracting the type of customers that aren't valuable in India and Australia - those that are only looking to buy the cheapest device possible. Windows Phone isn't doomed because it's selling too little. Windows Phone is doomed because the bulk of Microsoft's customers are only buying solely on price, and commodity manufacturers like Micromax are going to snuff them out. Quite frankly, the transition that's happening that is WP's "growth" is end users that are ditching the bottom tier BlackBerry phones for the cheap, sub-$130 dual sim WP devices.

Not all consumers are equivalent. Market share as your sole metric is a failure unless your product is a commodity, single-use object (e.g. traditional CPG like Kleenex). Stickiness is important with smartphones when device turnover is high.

Re: Xiaomi
Xiaomi doesn't need to bring their phones to the United States to be successful. It's a very western-centric mindset to think that's an inevitability. Sure, we have the world's best consumers in terms of buying power, but they're already selling to the world's fastest growing middle-class, and they're creating a suite of hardware that ranges from speakers to air purifiers. Xiaomi's more than a phone company. They're a full stack home products company.

They don't need the hassle of entering a brand new market where they have limited ability to take advantage of their direct to consumer knowhow and the extremely high costs of doing business here.

The US market is more of a "nice to have" for xiaomi. I'm sure they'll attempt it one day and if it doesn't pan out they'll scrap it and move on.

Wreav

Banned
windows 10 is basically the last attempt for them. If it doesn't work they need to go back to the drawing board because it's clear people are just not into the OS/brand/etc...

Or Microsoft can continue to sink money into it hoping to change that. They can afford both options.

Windows 10 is looking pretty bad, judging by the OT thread dedicated to it. I can imagine that it'll straight up flop.

Microsoft will never give up the ghost though. What the world REALLY needs is a solid desktop fork of Android.

This is why Samsung stock has been tanking and also why they are removing things that benefit consumers like microSD slot. Apple makes a killing off charging more for bigger internal storage and Samsung wants that blood money too.
I can see why they would try. Apple knows people will pay for higher storage, hence the reason they offer 16/64/128gb storage. Most people cannot use 16 GB and will go 64. Sammy wants to pull the same trick. They already wowed many people online judging online impressions, so it remains to be seen how many they sell.

Top Bottom