• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I don't recall them saying that the Lollipop update was coming to other mid range devices and it's well known that suck at updating those other devices. If you bought a mid range Sony phone with high expectations, that's your fault lol. I believe that they said that the update is coming to the ENTIRE Xperia Z line up. This would actually be news if Sony said, "sorry the update won't be coming to the Xperia Z1 phones"
They did. So it's not news.

Finally got lollipop on my HTC One m8.

Weather app is installed and running, but you can't actually get to it without going to the play store and telling it to launch from there. Also Firefox no longer works.

This is....not great.

Are people ever going to learn to factory reset before bitching on forums?

ILoveBish

Probably ditching my mint VZW note for the N6. What kinda deal you looking for? PM me.

I have 3 lines with unlimited in Verizon, 2 with 2 gigs. We transfer updates to the 2 gig lines to keep the unlimited data. So hoping for 199 or less from Verizon.

asdad123

I currently have a Nexus 6, and I find it a little too large. Someone is offering to trade me a Xperia Z3.

I will mainly use the phone as a phone and occasional internet browsing/taking pictures. I do not use any Apps apart from Pandora so I won't miss the snapdragon 805 vs the 801 in the Z3.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this trade?

Did you factory reset it? Makes me happy I bought a Note 4 :p My Galaxy Nexus went to complete shit after 1.5 years.

I install rooted deodexed de-Knoxed de-bloated Touchwiz ROMs, so I'm used to doing full wipes on version upgrades.

The storage on Android devices degrades quite rapidly in the manner that old versions of Windows used to, so doing full wipes on Android OS upgrades is still the best way to avoid problems. It's like trying to do an in-place upgrade of Windows, sure you can try to do it but most of the time you'll just fuck your computer up. Installing Windows fresh is the best way to avoid problems for the same reason.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a reason I can't browse the Google play website on my iPad? Eg if I find a link to the store on a website, it just refuses to open. Tried safari and chrome. It's frustrating because I should be able to remote install things while my phone is charging, and I use my iPad more when I'm searching for apps etc.

So my wife's Nexus 4 now has a broken screen, so we're looking at upgrading her phone. We're using T-Mobile and are looking mostly at the Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4, but we're open to suggestions. She's not big into heavy tech, so we're looking for the best value rather than the highest end phone.

tr4656

Is there a reason I can't browse the Google play website on my iPad? Eg if I find a link to the store on a website, it just refuses to open. Tried safari and chrome. It's frustrating because I should be able to remote install things while my phone is charging, and I use my iPad more when I'm searching for apps etc.

Mine actually works just fine on Safari. Have an iPad Mini 2 on iOS 8.

So my wife's Nexus 4 now has a broken screen, so we're looking at upgrading her phone. We're using T-Mobile and are looking mostly at the Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4, but we're open to suggestions. She's not big into heavy tech, so we're looking for the best value rather than the highest end phone.
Just give her the new Moto E. 150 bucks. Phone is goodenough.jpg.

Nexus 5 has bad battery life so that wouldn't be a good idea if she's a heavy user. Try to find a cheaper LG G2 over an S4.

Cipherr

Are people ever going to learn to factory reset before bitching on forums?

What the hell is everyone doing to their phones that it requires factory resets so often anyway. I don't get that. Unless you are using those dog ugly old Gingerbread devices, why the hell does your phone need a factory reset after an update lol.

What the hell is everyone doing to their phones that it requires factory resets so often anyway. I don't get that. Unless you are using those dog ugly old Gingerbread devices, why the hell does your phone need a factory reset after an update lol.

Must be the old Windows mentality.

You don't upgrade an old version!

My sister is looking to upgrade to something with a big screen, coming from an iPhone 4. She has an N7 and now really wants an Android phone. But she doesn't want to spend more than a $100.

She's really wanting the original GFlex now because it's only a penny on Amazon when upgrading, but I'm trying to find something better.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. She's on at&t, by the way.

My sister is looking to upgrade to something with a big screen, coming from an iPhone 4. She has an N7 and now really wants an Android phone. But she doesn't want to spend more than a $100.

She's really wanting the original GFlex now because it's only a penny on Amazon when upgrading, but I'm trying to find something better.

I would convince her to spend 100 more to find something midrange and stay off contract. Either that, or buy something worthy of committing to a telecom for another two years.

having an old Gflex in 2017 won't be a good look

meh 100 bucks aint even worth it, she's going to end up with a bad/outdated phone no matter what in that price range. Like I mentioned above though, for 150 the new Moto E is solid.

Has a bigger screen than an iphone 4 but it's not considered a big screen in todays standards though.

I would convince her to spend 100 more to find something midrange and stay off contract. Either that, or buy something worthy of committing to a telecom for another two years.

having an old Gflex in 2017 won't be a good look

meh 100 bucks aint even worth it, she's going to end up with a bad/outdated phone no matter what in that price range. Like I mentioned above though, for 150 the new Moto E is solid.

Has a bigger screen than an iphone 4 but it's not considered a big screen in todays standards though.
Thanks for the replies! After searching Amazon some more, they have a promotion for the G3 for a penny on at&t. She's going with that. Thanks anyway though!

Altazor

Someone I know has a bit of a problem with her Moto G (first-gen). Images are randomly disappearing - both photos she took with the camera and images she downloaded on her cellphone. Apparently it's just images, not other data.

So... faulty unit? Internal memory failure? Just an Android (KitKat, not Lollipop) bug? PLZ HALP

quoting myself for this page :(

3phemeral

quoting myself for this page :(

Disappearing as in, she can't find them with a file explorer at all? I've never heard of that so it's probably why no one's responded. You can try factory resetting to see if it makes a difference but it otherwise sounds like faulty memory because it doesn't sound like a common problem.

Altazor

Disappearing as in, she can't find them with a file explorer at all? I've never heard of that so it's probably why no one's responded. You can try factory resetting to see if it makes a difference bu tit otherwise sounds like faulty memory because it doesn't sound like a common problem.

thanks! I think she has tried with some standard file explorer (I actually don't know if stock android, or at least the Moto variant, comes with one) and images simply aren't there. Her phone isn't rooted, by the way.

And yes, I'm leaning towards faulty memory too.

Decided to try ricing for the first time:

01tS9kX.jpg

kIdMuScLe

T-mobile just updated their lollipop status page and it looks like Xperia z1s and z3 just entered preliminary testing. Hopefully we get it by may. :-(

Mik317

I am looking to upgrade from my HTC one to an lg g3... How is it? I loved my one but it's time and I'm a weirdo who likes to switch it up if I can.

I am looking to upgrade from my HTC one to an lg g3... How is it? I loved my one but it's time and I'm a weirdo who likes to switch it up if I can.
is there a reason why you don't want to get an S6 or just wait for a G4? If you want something cheaper than the G3 should be a big upgrade over the original HTC One assuming that's what you have. In every single way.

Nobody wants to go through the hassle of factory resetting each time an update lands. Its stupid.

Arent you going to ever learn that before bitching about peoples problems?

Android is not the new kid on the block anymore. The need to do a reset after a large ota is well known within the tech community. If you dont want to go through any hassles than you are using the wrong os or shouldnt be updating. Dont waste my time when in the end you will just have to reset anyway. If you want to legitimately complain or need help with the issues its all about doing the initial leg work first. Just look at stackoverflow

jokkir

Have to post about the shitty camera the Nexus 4 has and how Google doesn't want to fix it. Since around 4.3, the camera, when used on a Nexus 4, sometimes causes the camera to restart the entire device.

For the past 30 minutes, I've been trying to take a picture of something and it caused the phone to restart around 6 times. Six restarts caused by the stock camera and it's been happening for years since around Jellybean. What the shit, Google. This is a serious issue with the device that makes the phone really frustrating to use.

Here's the issue tracker
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=67113

And the Google Groups thread that was started in 2013
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/gsBvuZzG_xc[1-25]

Have to post about the shitty camera the Nexus 4 has and how Google doesn't want to fix it. Since around 4.3, the camera, when used on a Nexus 4, sometimes causes the camera to restart the entire device.

For the past 30 minutes, I've been trying to take a picture of something and it caused the phone to restart around 6 times. Six restarts caused by the stock camera and it's been happening for years since around Jellybean. What the shit, Google. This is a serious issue with the device that makes the phone really frustrating to use.

Here's the issue tracker

Yikes. It hasn't even been marked fixed for future release so the chances 5.1 will fix it are slim.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Here's the issue tracker

I thought my N4 had faulty hardware but huh, it is a thing. Sheesh.

longdi

Banned
If the Z4 isn't waterproof, I'm not upgrading.

It is last i heard.

Just the microusb is now flapless....and no more sdcard slot(sucks!)..

I love my Z2, never need to open the flaps unless upgrading the firmware. I use Sony's usb connectivity through Wifi. Godsend feature(also used in their cameras). Much faster and simpler pairing than Bluetooth and much stable files transfer. Not sure if other Android/Apple phones have this feature.

So i may not like their future exposed usb look.

No sdcard means no more loading on pdf and media files. 32GB will also mean 25-28GB usable after all the OS crap.

Mik317

is there a reason why you don't want to get an S6 or just wait for a G4? If you want something cheaper than the G3 should be a big upgrade over the original HTC One assuming that's what you have. In every single way.

I am not a fan of how the Galaxy's look in general but I could wait for a G4 if it comes out soon but then again I think my phone's battery is slowly dying so I was going to get something next month when my upgrade is available.

when does the G4 come out?

Danj

It is last i heard.

Just the microusb is now flapless....and no more sdcard slot(sucks!)..

Wow, okay, sounds like I'm going to dodge a bullet by upgrading to the Z3 instead of waiting for the Z4 then. Going to pull the trigger on that tomorrow (Monday) along with ordering a SmartWatch 3 to go with it.

longdi

Banned
What i mean is Z4 is still waterproof just case i was not clear earlier :p

My main concern is the SD810 processor inside Z4...the early rumblings is that Qualcomm fucked it up big time. benchmark only 15-30% faster than 801 inside Z3. But prepare to deal with thermal/throttling issues in realworld use.

I dont care about Galaxy devices, but the S6 Exynos looks killer and a real next gen Soc coming from 2014 handsets...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wow, okay, sounds like I'm going to dodge a bullet by upgrading to the Z3 instead of waiting for the Z4 then.
No, you aren't. Don't make stuff up just to comfort yourself. Buy whatever you want. The Z3 is fine.

Polari

5.1 is supposed to be a pretty minor refresh, no? I'm just hoping they manage to make Nexus 5 battery life suck less. :/

5.1 is supposed to be a pretty minor refresh, no? I'm just hoping they manage to make Nexus 5 battery life suck less. :/

Nothing is going to fix that battery. Or the camera. Nor do I think that Google cares about that phone anymore. Google is all about tablets now.

BTW, how is that Android TV Nexus thingy doing?

I am not a fan of how the Galaxy's look in general but I could wait for a G4 if it comes out soon but then again I think my phone's battery is slowly dying so I was going to get something next month when my upgrade is available.

when does the G4 come out?
I'd say within the next month or two. And LG teased that it's going to be a huge difference.

I'd say within the next month or two. And LG teased that it's going to be a huge difference.

Don't they usually come out in June or July? I guess the new One Plus would also come out around the same time. I think I'll pass if they haven't fixed the snapdragon 810 issues by then though.

I'm getting ready to drop T-Mobile and go to Cricket I think. 5 GB of data, unlimited text and calling is too good for $45.

Don't they usually come out in June or July? I guess the new One Plus would also come out around the same time. I think I'll pass if they haven't fixed the snapdragon 810 issues by then though.

I'm getting ready to drop T-Mobile and go to Cricket I think. 5 GB of data, unlimited text and calling is too good for $45.
The G3 came out late may. We're almost mid march so it's not like that's that far away. Just over 2 months!

Could be. Either way it's still not that far off. I feel like time has been going so fast. Shit I feel like it was the beginning of Feb yesterday.

Top Bottom