• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

kmfdmpig

I can see why they would try. Apple knows people will pay for higher storage, hence the reason they offer 16/64/128gb storage. Most people cannot use 16 GB and will go 64. Sammy wants to pull the same trick. They already wowed many people online judging online impressions, so it remains to be seen how many they sell.

Hopefully the consumers that rewarded them for including pro-consumer things like removable battery and SD cards leave them now that they've decided to become less pro-consumer.

WP is attracting the type of customers that aren't valuable in India and Australia - those that are only looking to buy the cheapest device possible. Windows Phone isn't doomed because it's selling too little. Windows Phone is doomed because the bulk of Microsoft's customers are only buying solely on price, and commodity manufacturers like Micromax are going to snuff them out. Quite frankly, the transition that's happening that is WP's "growth" is end users that are ditching the bottom tier BlackBerry phones for the cheap, sub-$130 dual sim WP devices.

Not all consumers are equivalent. Market share as your sole metric is a failure unless your product is a commodity, single-use object (e.g. traditional CPG like Kleenex). Stickiness is important with smartphones when device turnover is high.

MS was finished in the market years ago, when Steve Ballmer famously laughed at the iPhone and then did nothing for 2 years while Windows Mobile rotted like a zombie. Meanwhile, the response at Google was less famously "We're going to have to start over." Which is exactly what Google did, and the T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream) launched only a year after the iPhone and quickly gained consumer interest because at the time the iPhone had carrier exclusivity in the US with AT&T.

By the time they launched Windows Phone 7 it was already too late to slow the advance of iOS and then upstart Android, which was being pushed by mobile carriers who didn't get exclusive deals with Apple. Anyone who knows the history of operating systems understands historically there has been room for 2 competitors, because developers really hate supporting more than 2 OSes at once. They then compounded their lateness by resetting the platform with Windows Phone 8 and abandoned the few loyalists who bought and championed WP7 devices to an uninterested userbase that was already invested in iOS and then Android ecosystems.

MS has had second and even third chances. As we've seen with Bing Rewards, when consumers literally won't even use your product when you're paying them to do it, you are at an impasse. There are no cards left for MS to play. They're done in phones. We're nearing 2 billion iOS + Android devices sold worldwide and the pace is accelerating. MS should be happy that Windows is at least making inroads in the tablet space, where people do have a use for a desktop operating system when engaging in productivity tasks.

MS probably won't formally bow out of the mobile phone market for at least a few more years but even they can see the writing on the wall at this point. After Ballmer left, Nadella has been very cautious about pouring money into the pit that Ballmer dug. This is one reason that MS hasn't really done anything with Lumia, it's Ballmer's Albatross and Nadella wants it to go away. He'll probably quietly kill Lumia after Win10's launch when it doesn't do anything for their phone sales and MS stock will go up again when that happens as relieved shareholders buy more MS stock using their iOS and Android trading apps.

markot

Banned
Apple has been playing that game for ages. I mean, the upgrade from a 128gig macbook to a 256 one is like $250.

Having used windows 10, at least the tech preview. I wouldnt place bets on microsoft lasting in the os and tablet space either >.< When its worse then windows 8, somethings going horribly wrong in that company, somewhere.

All they have going for them is office these days. And even then, its mainly because no one has srsly tried to build a competitor and they own so many of the standards.

Avixph

Hopefully the consumers that rewarded them for including pro-consumer things like removable battery and SD cards leave them now that they've decided to become less pro-consumer.
I thought that the average consumers don't care about expandable memory?

kmfdmpig

I thought that the average consumers don't care about expandable memory?

Clearly many don't as a lot of the top-selling phones don't have it, but I get the impression that a fair number of Samsung sales came, in part, because they had those features consistently when a lot of other makers did not. I know that for me it makes a difference and I suspect that there are many others (including several who mentioned that in this thread) in the same boat.

markot

Banned
Clearly many don't as a lot of the top-selling phones don't have it, but I get the impression that a fair number of Samsung sales came, in part, because they had those features consistently when a lot of other makers did not. I know that for me it makes a difference and I suspect that there are many others (including several who mentioned that in this thread) in the same boat.

Id think its less then 1%, and those lost sales will easily be picked up with higher profit margins.

Id think its less then 1%, and those lost sales will easily be picked up with higher profit margins.
Most likely. Sales plummeted last quarter and I doubt expandable storage makes a big difference to normal users. The internet forum posters in reddit/xda-developers/gaf aren't a large portion of their consumers.

IMO the only thing stopping the S6 from being a monster phone is a better battery. If it were rocking a 3000mah battery or something we could have some series shit going on there.

LG will probably deliver on that front...and hopefully Moto :(

IMO the only thing stopping the S6 from being a monster phone is a better battery. If it were rocking a 3000mah battery or something we could have some series shit going on there.

It blew my mind when I saw the decrease of the battery size instead of an increase, however slight. I don't care how efficient your display is, wow everyone with battery life.

Moto pls. Give us the Maxx we deserve.

markot

Banned
Why's everyone fixated on thinness? Most people would prefer a slightly thicker phone if it had better battery life.

vdlow

I have a Moto Maxx and the 3900mAh battery could deliver a lot more if it wasn't for that power sucking display. The results I get are almost the same I see here from the Note 4, and that's not a compliment I guess, considering the display is smaller (even if with the same resolution) and the battery is almost 700mAh bigger.

It's good to have a great display and still doesn't have to worry about battery life, but it could be so much more than it is, that I can't help but see the battery as a missed opportunity rather than an example to be followed on the next Moto X.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So how much has everyone earned so far using the Google Opinion Rewards App? I've brought in just over $32 in free Google Play credit.

reKon

Banned
So I played with a Nexus 9 for the first time today...

yawn..

Still, it's a solid replacement for Nexus 7 and I really like the size. It has the three top things I desire most in a tablet right now: 8 - 9 inch screen, good battery life, and strong performance. I could definitely see myself doing a little bit more tablet gaming on this because of the screen size alone.

If I list things I wish it had, I'd say bigger size offerings and a more premium design/feel for a $400 tablet.

So yeah, it's a solid replacement... that I won't be paying more than $300 for..

Maybe for a 64 GB version I would but, Google continues to make questionable decisions on their Nexus offerings, so NOPE.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've never used it.

Dude it's basically free cred. Surveys take maybe 30 secs and Google throws you the cred direct into your balance.

Only problem is you can go long stretches of having the app installed and no surveys. They seem to dole out the surveys randomly.

clav

I'm strongly considering the Galaxy S6 despite my dislike for TouchWiz and non-removable battery.

Am I crazy?

I don't like the size of the Note 4.

So how much has everyone earned so far using the Google Opinion Rewards App? I've brought in just over $32 in free Google Play credit.

$15.80. Not a lot, but I did stop at a time when months would go by and I received no surveys. Now they are more frequent, but it has been 8 days since the last one.

I'm strongly considering the Galaxy S6 despite my dislike for TouchWiz and non-removable battery.

Am I crazy?

I don't like the size of the Note 4.
Not crazy. I also dislike Touchwiz but the S6 is the first Samsung phone I could actually buy (won't since I have a Z3 Compact).

y'all talk about SD and power users etc, but the real truth is the average user doesn't care about battery life as long as it can last them all day with average user usage. every flagship already exceed that.

same here. a recent survey pushed me just over $32 earned.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Unwilling. Sorry, should have specified that. They are completely distinct, and I would like to keep my personal and professional inboxes apart.
Inbox and Gmail can do that. Why not those?

Actually the exynos processor is supposed to be really good on battery. Much better than qualcomm anyway? What's this I hear about it using a weak antenna though?

Xisiqomelir

Inbox and Gmail can do that. Why not those?

My impression is that the gmail app requires you to filter your other email accounts through Google servers.

Check emails from other accounts using Gmail

If you have multiple email accounts, you can check them all in Gmail. Gmail’s Mail Fetcher feature first imports all your old messages to Gmail and then continues to bring in new messages sent to your other account. You can add up to 5 accounts, including Gmail and other email providers.

XAL

I'm in the US on Verizon. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

What should be my next phone purchase? Since Verizon isn't ever going to update the OS.

(no upgrades, retail purchase only - don't want to lose my unlimited data)

Quasar

windows 10 is basically the last attempt for them. If it doesn't work they need to go back to the drawing board because it's clear people are just not into the OS/brand/etc...

Or Microsoft can continue to sink money into it hoping to change that. They can afford both options.

Which bums me out. I like the OS, but lack of certain apps makes it a deal breaker. Namely google apps. And googles denying those apps deliberately.

Not sure what the answer is. Allowing android apps to be installed on windows phones seems a terrible idea for instance.

thespot84

My impression is that the gmail app requires you to filter your other email accounts through Google servers.

is the hangup with email being on google's servers, or everything being in one inbox? You can have a separate gmail account for each (you just select which account to view in the app or in a browser), but, afaik, once you email hits gmail it's on google's servers

NotBacon

Unwilling. Sorry, should have specified that. They are completely distinct, and I would like to keep my personal and professional inboxes apart.

Gmail does that.
I use a personal Gmail, work Gmail, and personal Outlook.com account all through the Gmail app and it works just fine. Everything is kept separate and can be switched between in the nav. drawer.

Xisiqomelir

is the hangup with email being on google's servers, or everything being in one inbox? You can have a separate gmail account for each (you just select which account to view in the app or in a browser), but, afaik, once you email hits gmail it's on google's servers

Yes, that's not an option for some of my email. Regulatory requirements are that they are never forwarded to other servers (Please thread do not gripe to me about that, I don't write these laws).

After reading a bunch of Lifehacker-esque articles along the lines of "15 best email apps for Android in '15!" and installing/deleting a bunch, I'm using AquaMail and it isn't at all bad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's even stupider is that next year will be a lot better because Sony have moved to reduce their fixed cost base by cutting 2000 jobs and they still will barely be making a dent in the market. I have Sony at about $500m for next year, maybe slightly higher now that the Z4 is going to have it's whole life in the next financial year rather than a March shipment like the Z2.

Android is not good for companies who want to make money, it is only good for Google.

The aim, IMO, should be to sell 40-50m devices per year in the $500-600ASP range and not bother with the low and mid-range at all. Concentrate all of their marketing resources at the high end with three phones (compact, main and ultra) and three tablets (compact, main, ultra) per year. Have them all run on the same internal hardware so that the software team can concentrate resources as well.

There is literally no money for anyone in the mid/low sectors when Chinese companies can buy up MTK based boards for $10 and wrap them in plastic with a cheap screen on the front.

but then you end up with a situation where consumers have a choice between branded phones at flagship prices, or OEM junk. Is there really no market for reasonably priced mid-tier phones from the big players? Can't they recycle their older flagship phones into next years (or the year afters) mid-tier?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes, that's not an option for some of my email. Regulatory requirements are that they are never forwarded to other servers (Please thread do not gripe to me about that, I don't write these laws).

After reading a bunch of Lifehacker-esque articles along the lines of "15 best email apps for Android in '15!" and installing/deleting a bunch, I'm using AquaMail and it isn't at all bad.

does it really go through google? I have my work exchange account added to the gmail app and it appears as a separate inbox - surely google don't scan those?

Once you have separate accounts in gmail you can have separate widgets for each inbox so you can jump to the relevant inbox directly (or tap a notification)

Mindwipe

does it really go through google? I have my work exchange account added to the gmail app and it appears as a separate inbox - surely google don't scan those?

Once you have separate accounts in gmail you can have separate widgets for each inbox so you can jump to the relevant inbox directly (or tap a notification)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Exchange email doesn't go through Google's servers.

rip qualcomm

z4-810.jpg

Top Bottom