• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Mindwipe

I got my Z3C back.

I suppose 8 days turnaround isn't bad, but it makes you miss being able to walk into Apple (well, subject to getting an appointment) and walk out with a fixed handset, especially when the problem was only intermittent.

So they gave me a new handset, and since then the battery life is at least 2.5x what I was getting before. So after all that hunting after wakelocks etc it turns out I just had duff hardware. Ah well. At least now I'm superhappy with the battery, and I've not even tried to aggressively cut out bloat yet.

Also: The WhatsApp backup and restoration process is the most insanely unfriendly thing I've ever seen. WTF are they doing? Why does Facebook not send them some client engineers to make it slightly less shit?

I'm not terribly impressed by the Sony backup software in general. It restores my bookmarks in Chrome, but disregards the entire folder structure. So then Chrome also syncs it, and now I have all my bookmarks in folders and a huge list of duplicates underneath. Thanks Sony. Also had my contacts restored untidily in a similar way.

Dobsie

I got my Z3C back.

I suppose 8 days turnaround isn't bad, but it makes you miss being able to walk into Apple (well, subject to getting an appointment) and walk out with a fixed handset, especially when the problem was only intermittent.

So they gave me a new handset, and since then the battery life is at least 2.5x what I was getting before. So after all that hunting after wakelocks etc it turns out I just had duff hardware. Ah well. At least now I'm superhappy with the battery, and I've not even tried to aggressively cut out bloat yet.

Also: The WhatsApp backup and restoration process is the most insanely unfriendly thing I've ever seen. WTF are they doing? Why does Facebook not send them some client engineers to make it slightly less shit?

I'm not terribly impressed by the Sony backup software in general. It restores my bookmarks in Chrome, but disregards the entire folder structure. So then Chrome also syncs it, and now I have all my bookmarks in folders and a huge list of duplicates underneath. Thanks Sony. Also had my contacts restored untidily in a similar way.
WhatsApp backup is easy, you just copy the WhatsApp folder from your old phone onto the new one and everything is perfectly intact. What's difficult about that?

Mindwipe

WhatsApp backup is easy, you just copy the WhatsApp folder from your old phone onto the new one and everything is perfectly intact. What's difficult about that?

You can only restore from backup on first run - so if you install WA and then want to restore the backup you have to delete the app and reinstall it.

In spite of the instructions, it actually saves the backup to your internal storage and not your SD card, so you might lose everything.

WhatsApp themselves have several contradictory FAQ pages.

You can't pick where the backup is created.

That's a horrible process.

Hasney

While I'm sure those prices will go up for the US release, I was impressed with the small difference in the price between specs. That's really good!

terrier

You can only restore from backup on first run - so if you install WA and then want to restore the backup you have to delete the app and reinstall it.

In spite of the instructions, it actually saves the backup to your internal storage and not your SD card, so you might lose everything.

WhatsApp themselves have several contradictory FAQ pages.

You can't pick where the backup is created.

That's a horrible process.

you can make a manual backup just before restoring, standard backup is done at 4.am if i am not mistaken- Just copy whatsapp folder and the paste it again to your internal storage before you use it again.

Hasney

Do they ever update their software?

Yeah, but it takes a while. Here's their current plans for Lollipop:

asus_android5_lollipop_update_schedule.jpg

Seeing ZenFone's 4, 5 and 6 has confused the hell out of me though.

1000 people laid off at Sony mobile in Sweden.

I know this was announced in January, but still.

Either there were 1000 people that have been on a payroll for nothing - which is unbelievably stupid and so New-Age-Sony-esque.

Or their services will definitely begin to have an negative impact...like very late future os updates compared to...oh wait nvm, its the stupid Sony-esque shit probably as the services are shit already.

Joke of a company, barely surviving on a gaming console.

Looks like hopes of 5.1 being put out around the apple conference have been dashed and reality has set back in... Google just sucks at fixing bugs and releasing maintenance patches in a timely fashion.

Apple is now working on the 4th large maintenance/features release since io8 debuted. Get your shit together Google.

Groof

I know this was announced in January, but still.

Either there were 1000 people that have been on a payroll for nothing - which is unbelievably stupid and so New-Age-Sony-esque.

Or their services will definitely begin to have an negative impact...like very late future os updates compared to...oh wait nvm, its the stupid Sony-esque shit probably as the services are shit already.

Joke of a company, barely surviving on a gaming console.
They had only announced that they were going to lay off people and how many. This was announced officially this morning at a meeting.

Wreav

Banned
Looks like hopes of 5.1 being put out around the apple conference have been dashed and reality has set back in... Google just sucks at fixing bugs and releasing maintenance patches in a timely fashion.

Apple is now working on the 4th large maintenance/features release since io8 debuted. Get your shit together Google.

N6 still releasing on Thursday with VoLTE, so I'm sure it'll hit sometime before then.

Cheebo

Banned

Apple has been working on OS updates for over 30 years. Google has been doing it since about 2008.

I would say that is part of the reason Apple and Microsoft have this down to a science and Google still seems to struggle.

They had only announced that they were going to lay off people and how many. This was announced officially this morning at a meeting.
Yeah but it was bound to happen.

Just like selling buildings.

Or reducing profit forecasts.

What would really surprise me with Sony if they would post a profit above expectation.

Apple has been working on OS updates for over 30 years. Google has been doing it since about 2008.

I would say that is part of the reason Apple and Microsoft have this down to a science and Google still seems to struggle.

google is just scatterbrained as a company, they've had more than enough time to be consistent with updates

Groof

Yeah but it was bound to happen.

Just like selling buildings.

Or reducing profit forecasts.

What would really surprise me with Sony if they would post a profit above expectation.
Oh absolutely. The mobile division sale is inevitable at this point.

Tim Cook is insane how the f do you price a watch 10k that isnt a handmade watch that is supposed to last 10+ years. This is still computer parts on a wrist, it will be old tech in 1-2 years.

The Apple Watch prices are insane. There's no way I could justify buying one of those over a significantly cheaper Android Wear or Pebble Watch. Not only is the Watch super expensive, but you know they'll gouge people on accessories for it like the watchbands.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Tim Cook is insane how the f do you price a watch 10k that isnt a handmade watch that is supposed to last 10+ years. This is still computer parts on a wrist, it will be old tech in 1-2 years.

And it's hideous too. I don't think I've met a single person IRL interested in the Apple Watch, and that includes my Apple loving friends.

As someone said in the watch thread people who buy that will buy it because it is a collectors edition.

The normally priced ones are about where I thought they would price but that $600 tag on the top end seems steep. Wonder what the screen on time is.

Personally I think Pebble is the only viable smartwatch platform at the moment

tr4656

China.
As someone said in the watch thread people who buy that will buy it because it is a collectors edition.

The normally priced ones are about where I thought they would price but that $600 tag on the top end seems steep. Wonder what the screen on time is.

Personally I think Pebble is the only viable smartwatch platform at the moment

Except for iOS users.

Happens every time apple releases a new product lol. And everyone is wrong. I'm not interested in any smart watch but I'm not going to make a comment either way. If anything it'll be super successful.

Cipherr

All I know is that its ugly. I was low key thinking they would redesign it. Seriously surprised that they stuck with that. Only the extremely expensive versions made of precious metals manage to make that hideous rounded monstrosity look decent.

Top Bottom