• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Mindwipe

i don't get the anger.

my Surface Pro also has just 1 USB port, 1 charge port and 1 video out port...

So... triple the amount of ports this thing has then?

I wil put good money on the next revision of this machine having at least two ports, because 1 is a horrible mistake that I suspect we find is because of some pre-production issue and not actually because Apple thought it was a good idea at all...

Yeah and it's really stupid. I'm not happy with that on my Surface either.

I'm not sure what important ports you're missing. A USB which can be multiplied with a $15 USB hub, a mini DisplayPort which can output to HDMI with a cable, and the charge port. That's all I can think of needing on my Surface Pro 2.

So... triple the amount of ports this thing has then?

I wil put good money on the next revision of this machine having at least two ports, because 1 is a horrible mistake that I suspect we find is because of some pre-production issue and not actually because Apple thought it was a good idea at all...

Surface Pro: 1 USB port, 1 Charge port, 1 video out port.
MacBook (2015): 1 USB port, 1 Charge port, 1 Video Out port.

i mean, hey, that Micro SD slot is pretty nice. i have a 128GB MicroSD inside.
the new Macbook has Bluetooth right?

I'm not sure what important ports you're missing. A USB which can be multiplied with a $15 USB hub, a mini DisplayPort which can output to HDMI with a cable, and the charge port. That's all I can think of needing on my Surface Pro 2.
An extra USB port would eliminate the need for a USB hub. Why should I have to buy more attachments? That's really the only gripe I have because the Surface pro 3 is really good in my eyes.

jokkir

70% of the things on the front page of The Verge are all Apple

9QJyr0p.jpg

And an article about a table lol
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8174935/apple-watch-store-display

Anyway, when the hell are the Nexus 4 5.1 images coming out arrrg. Google are terrible with updates.

KevinRo

Hey guys, I screwed up my GS3 and I'm stuck.

A long time ago I had CWM installed previously with root access on my GS3. All of this was done without Odin. I was going to get around to installing a custom ROM but my cable broke and I just gave up. I eventually encrypted my device (foreshadowing) and left it alone.

Anyways, for some reason, I had the urge to factory reset my GS3 and when I did that my phone got stuck in a boot loop whenever I had to unlock the device encryption.

I tried loading a the stock ROM via USB but I couldn't get access to my phone's internal storage without having USB debugging mode on since I couldn't boot into the phone's OS. So then I decided I can't use CWM to install the stock ROM. I got around to flashing TWRP onto my phone as now I can actually see my phones internal storage but for some weird reason whenever I try to check if I have root by typing 'su' into the terminal window it tells me I don't have root. I'm at an impasse. I don't have root and I can't flash a stock ROM to the device.

Maybe I'm a noob but anyone have any idea what I should do?

*edit*

holy jeebus. i figured it out. Some reason I had to flash a stock 4.3 version.

teiresias

Flashed my N5 with 5.1. Snappy so far, but that's to be expected from a wipe and new install. Will have to give it like a month I think before I can tell for sure if it's any better performance and stability wise.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 10 stays winning. What a great long term buy.

The new MacBook is brilliant. Apple did everything right on it except for weak RAM.

I learned about the Apple watch and the new Macbook. I'm at a loss for words. Watch looks ugly as fuck and the laptop is literally $1500 paperweight.

Today made me realize that I am no longer interested in Apple's products. I just can't see myself ever spending $1300+ on a laptop. Hell, I am perfectly happy with my $170 Acer Chromebook. :)

So Android GAF, I'm going to take a trip to Europe in a few weeks and I need to know the cheapest way to get on the cell networks there with data access. Since I know that Verizon's "Global Roaming" plan with 100 MB for $25 is a ripoff, I would rather just buy a prepaid SIM in London when I land there. Is there a provider that I should buy the SIM from which will let me also use it in France, Germany, and Italy? Sorry that I don't know how it works in Europe with all these countries. :(

Nexus 10 stays winning. What a great long term buy.

The new MacBook is brilliant. Apple did everything right on it except for weak RAM.
You know what, my Nexus 10 is still running strong, and I bought one a few days after it first came out. Decent front facing speakers and great screen (outside of a little backlight inconsistency in the corners) make it great as a second screen media tablet. I don't love Lollipop on it though. I thought Kit Kat was great on the tablet since I could pull down from the different corners for different settings. I hate doing the double swipe/two-finger swipe just to get at all the info I want (battery %, WIFI toggle, etc.).

But I can't agree with the new Macbook though because...

...This is actually wrong and the laptop only has ONE port for all that stuff unless you get an $80 adapter. I had to triple check this since the idea of mixing all the (IMO) necessary ports of a laptop into a single port is just bad design to me. Like I think I mentioned before, I've got a little Dell tablet with this configuration and it sucks when you want to charge the device and use a USB peripheral at the same time.

It just seems like a more expensive Macbook Air with a Retina Display, but with less ports. That'll probably be a fine trade off for the people looking for a superlight laptop, but for the exact same price I would rather have the heavier more powerful Macbook Pro with Retina Display and a shitload more ports, and use a tablet for anything I need a lightweight device for.

Groof

So hey, here's a neat 5.1 change. When listening to media, the volume bar now has an alarm icon next to it. Tap it and it changes to notification volume. Slick.

Where is my OTA update?

e: I still chuckle every time I see the Nexus Q on the factory images list. Still on 4.0.4 and everything. What a hilarious piece of hardware that thing was. $299 Chromecast made in USA.

DarkFlow

Banned
Where is my OTA update?

e: I still chuckle every time I see the Nexus Q on the factory images list. Still on 4.0.4 and everything. What a hilarious piece of hardware that thing was. $299 Chromecast made in USA.

It's likely stuck on 4.0.4 because it has a OMAP4460 in it. Same reason the Galaxy Nexus got fucked.

It's likely stuck on 4.0.4 because it has a OMAP4460 in it. Same reason the Galaxy Nexus got fucked.

Even the Galaxy Nexus got at least 4.3. And the Moto 360 has the same SoC and shipped with 4.4W and got updated to 5.0W as well. Google just didn't really care.

OTA is usually within 3 weeks.

Thanks! I hope the update file gets released soon. That's how I updated from 4.4 to 5.0.

DarkFlow

Banned
Even the Galaxy Nexus got at least 4.3. And the Moto 360 has the same SoC and shipped with 4.4W and got updated to 5.0W as well. Google just didn't really care.

Thanks! I hope the update file gets released soon. That's how I updated from 4.4 to 5.0.

Yeah I'm sure the lack of interest from people also played a part, but TI skipping town didn't help either.

Groof

If you want you can always flash the factory image and bypass the full wipe by removing a line from the .bat file. That's what I did, no issues so far.

Jzero

So i've never updated while being rooted, can i just update OTA when the Nexus 6 gets the update without losing root?

So hey, here's a neat 5.1 change. When listening to media, the volume bar now has an alarm icon next to it. Tap it and it changes to notification volume. Slick.

Fucking finally, this has been bugging me for ever.

Mindwipe

You're misinformed about the new Macbook. It only has one port, that can be used for either USB, or charging, or video out. And only one of them at once without further accessories.

Back OT, anyone with a 2012 Nexus 7 who's flashed 5.1, did they fix the text wraparound bug on the wi-fi connection details screen? Or update the bluetooth file transfer dialogue boxes to Material?

rossonero

That's with a $80 adapter though. Macbook only has a USB-C port and nothing else.

EDIT: Damn it, Mindwipe.

Woo! 5.0 for Sony devices within the next few days. Just as I get a Z3 as well!

Just in time for 5.1 to be announced as well! Though a lot of the stuff that seems to be 5.1 specific is already present in Sony's customised 5.0 so really it is just the stability updates that need to be rolled in. Hopefully they do it soon since they won't need to change a lot.

About the job cuts mentioned above, the reason for them is what I outlined previously, Sony are moving the division to a high-end single board offering which means the development team will be much smaller since apps and builds only need to be optimised for one hardware platform per year starting from 2016 (Snapdragon 820 in 2016). All of their mid-range hardware is set to move to MTK boards and outsourced software/hardware with Sony branding and their app suite. Oddly this is a good move for SMC in the long term, though it is difficult for the 1000 people who are out of work from the end of this year it means the people who stay behind are on a much firmer footing going forwards and with a more focussed development plan updates should also be faster and more stable out of the gate.

Yoshida is making a leaner and meaner Sony, the process just started a year too late.

reKon

Banned
Woo! 5.0 for Sony devices within the next few days. Just as I get a Z3 as well!

Just in time for 5.1 to be announced as well! Though a lot of the stuff that seems to be 5.1 specific is already present in Sony's customised 5.0 so really it is just the stability updates that need to be rolled in. Hopefully they do it soon since they won't need to change a lot.

About the job cuts mentioned above, the reason for them is what I outlined previously, Sony are moving the division to a high-end single board offering which means the development team will be much smaller since apps and builds only need to be optimised for one hardware platform per year starting from 2016 (Snapdragon 820 in 2016). All of their mid-range hardware is set to move to MTK boards and outsourced software/hardware with Sony branding and their app suite. Oddly this is a good move for SMC in the long term, though it is difficult for the 1000 people who are out of work from the end of this year it means the people who stay behind are on a much firmer footing going forwards and with a more focussed development plan updates should also be faster and more stable out of the gate.

Yoshida is making a leaner and meaner Sony, the process just started a year too late.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/03/1...ny-mobile-indonesia-brief-changelog-detailed/

Move apps to SD card? Thank you Based Sony.

Top Bottom