• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I thought google wanted to fight the fragmentation.

Jelly bean and kitkat are still the most dominant.

OEMs are still the same old slow.

But whats worse, Nexus got bad too if you have an 'old' device.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Early impressions from people in the GAF hangout is good. The people in Europe have been up long enough that by now they would see app crashes or random redraws on the old 5.01/02

manfestival

it seems like phones from 2 years ago are doing quite fine in the current market of smart phones. Is it because the newer operating systems have been designed to be more optimized or there arent really programs that require the raw power that has been put out as of late?

Vanillalite

it seems like phones from 2 years ago are doing quite fine in the current market of smart phones. Is it because the newer operating systems have been designed to be more optimized or there arent really programs that require the raw power that has been put out as of late?

In Android land once hardware got to the stage of Quad Core with the S600 and LPDDR3 that's when we saw a general performance to start to even out.

Then the S800 solved the one problem the S600 had which was lowerish clockspeed as many apps don't handle multi threading/cores very well. Since then for general computing performance the average user from the Nexus 5 chipset on will have trouble really noticing a difference (not counting battery life or individual issues that can crop up).

reKon

Banned
I think I'm okay on moving apps to SD cards, but it's nice to have the option.

Hopefully there are also camera improvements.

If the bluetooth stack spoke to the N7's that would also be nice (though I suspect that's the N7's fault more than Sonys...).

Yeah, I actually don't really need that function as I don't do intensive gaming on my phone. I do only have 3.5 GB left in internal storage though (and I have the exact amount of games I want).

With this feature, the Xperia Z3 Tablet just reached God-tier status (128 GB expandability including apps, 15 hours+ battery life, waterproof/dustproof, 6.4 MM thin, android skin most similar to stock lollipop)

It makes sense that it's pricey, but I would still like to see it hit $350 now that the Z4 is coming (for the Wi-Fi only version).

...This is actually wrong and the laptop only has ONE port for all that stuff unless you get an $80 adapter. I had to triple check this since the idea of mixing all the (IMO) necessary ports of a laptop into a single port is just bad design to me. Like I think I mentioned before, I've got a little Dell tablet with this configuration and it sucks when you want to charge the device and use a USB peripheral at the same time.

It just seems like a more expensive Macbook Air with a Retina Display, but with less ports. That'll probably be a fine trade off for the people looking for a superlight laptop, but for the exact same price I would rather have the heavier more powerful Macbook Pro with Retina Display and a shitload more ports, and use a tablet for anything I need a lightweight device for.
it's technically accurate.

Sid

Android Lollipop came out in November 2014,we're halfway through March right now,I wish Samsung followed Apple in this regard

Hasney

Android Lollipop came out in November 2014,we're halfway through March right now,I wish Samsung followed Apple in this regard

But you don't need the latest software. 5.0 was shit for a lot of people, 5.1 should hopefully fix that so what you should really hope is that Samsung is working on that instead.

clav

I'm conflicted now. If there's a memory leak bug present in 5.0, then all devices running Lollipop prior to 5.1 have this issue?

I'm sitting here deciding between the Note 4 and S6.

Makes me want to go buy the Nexus 6.

Some info on the next Android Wear update.

"First up is WiFi support, which most Android Wear watches have the necessary hardware for already. The Snapdragon chips that power most of the watches have a Wifi module that has been dormant thus far, as does the Broadcom ARM chip in the Smartwatch 3. That one also has GPS, which works after a previous update. Even the Moto 360 with its older hardware should have the silicon to support WiFi, but it's not clear if it has the proper antenna setup.

The promised gesture control will allow users to scroll through lists without touching the watch. A simple flick of the wrist will do the trick. Google is also planning to make it easier to access apps and contacts from the watch, though how that will work is not yet clear. Also unclear is when this update will happen. Presumably it will be based on Android 5.1, which is currently rolling out to Nexus devices."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...re-control-and-easier-access-to-appscontacts/

I'm conflicted now. If there's a memory leak bug present in 5.0, then all devices running Lollipop prior to 5.1 have this issue?

nexus always wins

but between the note 4 and s6, s6 is the easy win just for the touchwiz improvements.

Vanillalite

It's an AOSP issue. If you aren't buying a phone with AOSP aka a Nexus device then you may or may not have this issue. Skins don't always use the exact same code or kernel so some stuff that is broken in AOSP gets fixed by Samsung or LG before they push out their version of Android.

clav

It's an AOSP issue. If you aren't buying a phone with AOSP aka a Nexus device then you may or may not have this issue. Skins don't always use the exact same code or kernel so some stuff that is broken in AOSP gets fixed by Samsung or LG before they push out their version of Android.

Why would third parties mess with the Android kernel?

Vanillalite

Why would third parties mess with the Android kernel?

There is no Android kernel anymore. Shit got merged into the mainline nix kernel a while back.

Edit: Also companies back port some of the newer kernel features because they are stuck on older kernels due to chip manufacturers.

SimleuqiR

Some info on the next Android Wear update.

"First up is WiFi support, which most Android Wear watches have the necessary hardware for already. The Snapdragon chips that power most of the watches have a Wifi module that has been dormant thus far, as does the Broadcom ARM chip in the Smartwatch 3. That one also has GPS, which works after a previous update. Even the Moto 360 with its older hardware should have the silicon to support WiFi, but it's not clear if it has the proper antenna setup.

The promised gesture control will allow users to scroll through lists without touching the watch. A simple flick of the wrist will do the trick. Google is also planning to make it easier to access apps and contacts from the watch, though how that will work is not yet clear. Also unclear is when this update will happen. Presumably it will be based on Android 5.1, which is currently rolling out to Nexus devices."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...re-control-and-easier-access-to-appscontacts/

Scrolling through a 10,000 row Google Spreadsheet

fap.gif

Husker86

Almost at the end of a full day of 5.1. I'm starting to believe. It's so smooth
Yup. I'm afraid I'm speaking too soon, but my Nexus 5 is noticeably better. Haven't seen a homescreen redraw yet. I also restarted my phone every day so I was always on a fresh boot with 5.0.1, and I can see a difference with 5.1.

edit: homescreen redraw after loading a game for a bit. Oh well...it is still smoother at least.

Groof

Yup. I'm afraid I'm speaking too soon, but my Nexus 5 is noticeably better. Haven't seen a homescreen redraw yet. I also restarted my phone every day so I was always on a fresh boot with 5.0.1, and I can see a difference with 5.1.

edit: homescreen redraw after loading a game for a bit. Oh well...it is still smoother at least.

I don't want to be so quick on proclaiming it fixed either, but I usually hit the memory leak issues around noon every day. I also reboot my phone every morning. Today I haven't hit any such issues. The one thing that makes me equally happy is how quick the multitask view is now. Instantaneous!

Depending on the game they can hog up all the resources, so a redraw is inevitable.

Nova launcher got a huge update, with Material Design and lots of other stuff.

How does it work with Android and different launchers? Does the stock launcher run in the background or does the 3rd party launcher terminate the process and is the only one taking up resources?

Did that LG G4 pic show it was curved,or was that just the angle of the picture that made it look like it was?
it's technically accurate.
That it has one port that can do three seperate things? Sure.
That it has three available ports and you can do those three separate things at the same time out of the box? No.

If I buy a $90 dock for my $180 Win 8 tablet I could technically turn it into a fully featured device too, and if I bought a minimum $1300 device I have slightly higher standards for what comes built into it.

longdi

Banned
Yeah they added it back into 4.4 for their low end phones, they had a shit load of demand for it in their high end devices as well so I guess they put the solution into 5.0 for everyone.

and they will taketh away with Z4 which is rumored to come without SD slot! Soneeeee!

but what about bloatware, lag, and unusable fingerprint sensor?

Plus, doesn't fake leather just become sticky over time?
and what about the great battery life and great camera and multitasking and pen input and removable batteries and expandable storage and what lag?

what is bloat? some people call like half of the apps that ship on a Nexus bloat. the fingerprint sensor isn't unusable, it's just not very good.

NotBacon

Guys I think they finally fixed the memory leak

Code:
android/platform/frameworks/base/df3ff654aba582fea27cae111294cf753f7d75ab^! / .

commit	df3ff654aba582fea27cae111294cf753f7d75ab[log][tgz]	
author	  Jim <jim@google.com>  Tue Mar 3 12:20:07 2015 -0800
committer Jim <jim@google.com>  Tue Mar 3 12:20:07 2015 -0800
tree    1c8f6a9f75e2bc81eb4be066fa1f7d76e434402e
parent	bad347aff3a234bcc89d81692388f3cbd5d2c986[diff]

Oops lol

Fixes bug 79897.

Change-Id: I32ef4b19979390e73b97239e489ad7ef82e0900f
diff --git index 2f2fbfe..e240ed8 100602
--- a/services/core/server/AllocateEverything.cpp
+++ b/services/core/server/AllocateEverything.cpp
@@ -705,1 +705,1 @@

void MemoryDestroyer::allocateAndNotify() {
         View * v = new View();
         v->notify();
+        delete v;
      }

that makes no sense. if they were about emotional experiences, why would they continue to have that HTC bar that everyone emotionally despises? shouldn't they have worked to eliminate that shit? ESPECIALLY considering they didn't really do much to update the look? that one engineering/design change could have done wonders for their PR.

NotBacon

what is bloat? some people call like half of the apps that ship on a Nexus bloat. the fingerprint sensor isn't unusable, it's just not very good.

They do. They're wrong, but they do.

Edit:
There are a lot of great things about the Note 4, but if you're trying to argue that bloat isn't a weak point you're sorely mistaken.
I almost forgot how simple and minimal my Nexus was until I used a Note again recently.
Sure you can tame the bloat by putting in effort, but I do not miss those days at all (Droid Razr line), and realizing my Nexus was soooo minimal OOB was a huge treat.

Top Bottom