• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

3phemeral

I don't get the snarkiness for not wanting to pay $4 for a UI refresh. It's simply not enough for me to move over to a new app for the same features. BeyondPod was $7, and I paid for that before the Google Opinion Rewards app was available. Seems some of you are conflating "UI refresh not worth 4$" with "won't pay for apps."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some info on the next Android Wear update.

"First up is WiFi support, which most Android Wear watches have the necessary hardware for already. The Snapdragon chips that power most of the watches have a Wifi module that has been dormant thus far, as does the Broadcom ARM chip in the Smartwatch 3. That one also has GPS, which works after a previous update. Even the Moto 360 with its older hardware should have the silicon to support WiFi, but it's not clear if it has the proper antenna setup.

The promised gesture control will allow users to scroll through lists without touching the watch. A simple flick of the wrist will do the trick. Google is also planning to make it easier to access apps and contacts from the watch, though how that will work is not yet clear. Also unclear is when this update will happen. Presumably it will be based on Android 5.1, which is currently rolling out to Nexus devices."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...re-control-and-easier-access-to-appscontacts/

Wifi could be fantastic if the battery use isn't horrible. Being able to have whole house range would be great.

Not sure about the gestures. Autowear can do a bunch of stuff, but maybe the official ones will be useful.

I'd also like more control over how notifications are surfaced - eg let me choose to only have SMS/email show up as cards, and then let other info like weather/traffic etc be a swipe/gesture away so it doesn't clutter the watch face so much.

Edit: pocket cast update supports android wear! Nice. I know it supported play/pause/skip before but I had to line it up ready to go before, so this is something I want to check out. Also sounds like they played with up next, which is good because I found that clumsy to use before.

it seems like phones from 2 years ago are doing quite fine in the current market of smart phones. Is it because the newer operating systems have been designed to be more optimized or there arent really programs that require the raw power that has been put out as of late?
I think it's cause Google starting working more on optimizing with kitkat.

I have lollipop cm12 running on my note 2,and it runs like a champ. It gets benchmark results that are almost on part with the note 3.

markot

Banned
Place your mouth over something to vomit in before you scroll down!!!

nexus2cee_htc-one-e9-tenaa.jpg

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-inch-screen-3gb-ram-and-8-core-mediatek-soc/

jokkir

Why doesn't Google just wait until all the updates are ready before pushing it out rather than on just releasing it on selected devices? Google, please.

Jeff-DSA

I'm super frustrated. Bought my wife a Nexus 5 and the stupid thing only last 4-5 hours and she needs to plug it in for a charge. After 20 minutes charging, it already says 65% charged, which is obviously wrong.

I bought it off of someone local, so am I just screwed here? Seems like it. Also, it seems like the Internet is inundated with Nexus 5 battery complaints but very few solutions.

NotBacon

I'm super frustrated. Bought my wife a Nexus 5 and the stupid thing only last 4-5 hours and she needs to plug it in for a charge. After 20 minutes charging, it already says 65% charged, which is obviously wrong.

I bought it off of someone local, so am I just screwed here? Seems like it. Also, it seems like the Internet is inundated with Nexus 5 battery complaints but very few solutions.

If a clean wipe and install of Lollipop 5.1 doesn't fix it, it's a lost cause. Positive side: clean wipe/install can solve many issues.

Quasar

The difference is, I already have a player that probably matches PocketCasts' function for function. It seems most the comments here are related to UI design, and $4 is a hefty price for superficial elements.

Not that hard to grasp.

Well for me the killer function is cross os syncing between Android/iOS/web. Plus I like this developer.

3phemeral

Well for me the killer function is cross os syncing between Android/iOS/web. Plus I like this developer.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm not sure if BeyondPod has that functionality, but I'll look into it. I primarily listen to my podcasts via my phone/tablets out of convenience and I've never thought to do so via the web. How does Pocket Casts work? Do they have their own website where you just stream the content?

Quasar

Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm not sure if BeyondPod has that functionality, but I'll look into it. I primarily listen to my podcasts via my phone/tablets out of convenience and I've never thought to do so via the web. How does Pocket Casts work? Do they have their own website where you just stream the content?

Yeah. Though I'll admit the web version costs extra. But for me its worth it. they do have a 14 day trial.

https://play.pocketcasts.com/

markot

Banned
Samsung is dropping QUALCOMM, so all its bigger phones will run on exynos. I imagine mediatek will just be for lower range phones. They have to up fabrication already, plus deals with apple... etc...

3phemeral

Yeah. Though I'll admit the web version costs extra. But for me its worth it. they do have a 14 day trial.

https://play.pocketcasts.com/

Hmmm... I don't know if I'll ever use it but it's worth looking into. I've only ever use BeyondPod because (even though I was new to Podcasts), it was easy to integrate into my daily routine and make it a habit. It was also recommended by posters here from several threads ago. Funny thing is I used to think podcasts were only random individuals hosting their own content until I discovered I could save radio stations I loved to listen to and also easily find new content that I never knew I'd be interested in. I may like the web feature so I might have to check it out.

Thanks!

Jzero

Can you peeps recommend the best phone case manufacturer and list their best case line?

Tech 21 makes the best cases ive ever used. They even throw their phones on the floor to show how good their cases are. Its a shame they don't make much for nexus devices. Only buy the ones with D3O® in them though.

I personaly just purchased a Toast wood back for my Nexus 6. Didnt want some cheap little vinyl sticker, this is real wood. (not my photo)

3008_zoom_1423712937.jpg

PocketCasts update is ohmygod beautiful.

I use it on 3 different devices. Nexus 6 for all my work/where ever podcasts needs, iPod Touch for the car, and on my Tab S.

Avixph

Tech 21 makes the best cases ive ever used. They even throw their phones on the floor to show how good their cases are. Its a shame they don't make much for nexus devices. Only buy the ones with D3O® in them though.
Thanks I'll look into them, and can you me a suggestion on their best case line (please include pics).

I personaly just purchased a Toast wood back for my Nexus 6. Didnt want some cheap little vinyl sticker, this is real wood. (not my photo)

3008_zoom_1423712937.jpg
That doesn't look like it offers any protection.

Biker19

Banned
that makes no sense. if they were about emotional experiences, why would they continue to have that HTC bar that everyone emotionally despises? shouldn't they have worked to eliminate that shit? ESPECIALLY considering they didn't really do much to update the look? that one engineering/design change could have done wonders for their PR.

I agree. The problem is, HTC's too incompetent to realize it.

Groof

sounds suspiciously like a shot battery. The Nexus 5 battery life is bad, but not that bad.

Do as NotBacon said. Flash the factory image of 5.1 or do a full, clean wipe and see if it helps any. If not, consider getting the battery replaced. The Nexus 5 is easy to self-service if you don't want to pay someone else to do it.

Anymore recommendations?
I'm personally a fan of Ringke (their slim line).

I don't like cases so when I do use one I prefer a very slim one. And they are always on sale/cheap and the quality is solid and they use this soft touch material on some of their black cases which I like. Not sure about other colours.

Avixph

CaseMate is a known brand. At work so no pics. Sorry.

I'm personally a fan of Ringke (their slim line).

I don't like cases so when I do use one I prefer a very slim one. And they are always on sale/cheap and the quality is solid and they use this soft touch material on some of their black cases which I like. Not sure about other colours.
Thanks you guys. Also what do you guys think about Spigen cases?

Mindwipe

User log, 3/10/15: 5.1 came out, Bluetooth icon still Froyo style. Send help.

Are we supposed to look surprised that everything to do with Bluetooth on Android is still a fucking disaster?

I spent an hour yesterday trying to figure out why my Nexus 7 and Z3C have decided they will no longer stay connected to transfer files. Still no clue.

Top Bottom