• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This new version of the Chromebook Pixel misses the mark just like the old Chromebook pixel.

While I generally like Chrome OS and yes it has "experimental" Android app support, the idea of paying $1000+ on a device that is essentially chrome + some extensions kills the value proposition.

Spec wise it's extreme overkill considering you are not gonna be running a ton of native apps that require intense processing power. You are also getting a multi touch screen for an OS that is not built around touch.

That being said the build quality and screen quality seem to be top notch. The price is 3 to 4 times your average chromebook price though which kills the value proposition.

At this price point higher quality Windows ultrabooks and Apple laptops come into the equation with an OS that won't hamstring you.

Hasney

What are you talking about, it says i5 or i7 right there

Oh sure, if you click "See all features and specs" like a chump.

So yeah, much faster than the new Macbook.
This new version of the Chromebook Pixel misses the mark just like the old Chromebook pixel.

While I generally like Chrome OS and yes it has "experimental" Android app support, the idea of paying $1000+ on a device that is essentially chrome + some extensions kills the value proposition.

Spec wise it's extreme overkill considering you are not gonna be running a ton of native apps that require intense processing power. You are also getting a multi touch screen for an OS that is not built around touch.

That being said the build quality and screen quality seem to be top notch. The price is 3 to 4 times your average chromebook price though which kills the value proposition.

At this price point higher quality Windows ultrabooks and Apple laptops come into the equation with an OS that won't hamstring you.

The UK price has transferred over pretty favourably, so I might grab one and dump Windows on it if I get in the market for a laptop at any point.

Jzero

I didn't click shit. It's on the top of the page.

KjEp4Pw.jpg

Vanillalite

The UK price has transferred over pretty favourably, so I might grab one and dump Windows on it if I get in the market for a laptop at any point.

Why not just get the Dell XPS 13 that already has Windows on it?

Saiyan-Rox

The price isn't actually that bad in the UK for the smallest one if i do manage to have enough I may just grab one at somepoint but agree with you on the internals I can't see an i7 being needed for much of anything on a chromebook

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
MacBook still reigns supreme. And it's cheaper than the only Pixel you'd buy.

Vanillalite

Google is trying to spin it as a dev platform, but for what?

Is this a niche device they can show off their new Android SDK for chromebooks on? Nobody is gonna do that because everyone wants to code for mobile on Macs since you can then do an iOS and an Android version.

Maybe Google has some secret Cloud9 or Koding platform we don't know about. At that point though why wouldn't Google just compile everything in the cloud as well? Which again means the hardware is overkill.

Give me this as a nicer alternative to the entry level Chromebooks at say $500 verses the cheap build quality of the $200 entry level models, and I could see a point. Sure for $500 they'd have to cut some things, but the hardware internals are overkill anyways.

Guys, the Chomebook Pixel is NOT a consumer device, a large majority of the pixels made are used by developers.

Vanillalite

Guys, the Chomebook Pixel is NOT a consumer device, a large majority of the pixels made are used by developers.

I addressed that in the last post.

Developers for what? You're locked into Cloud only IDEs. You can't develop for both mobile platforms. You can't test your apps unless you're making an "app" aka extension for Chrome on your Pixel.

Again what are you using this to develop?

SimleuqiR

Google is trying to spin it as a dev platform, but for what?

Is this a niche device they can show off their new Android SDK for chromebooks on? Nobody is gonna do that because everyone wants to code for mobile on Macs since you can then do an iOS and an Android version.

Maybe Google has some secret Cloud9 or Koding platform we don't know about. At that point though why wouldn't Google just compile everything in the cloud as well? Which again means the hardware is overkill.

Give me this as a nicer alternative to the entry level Chromebooks at say $500 verses the cheap build quality of the $200 entry level models, and I could see a point. Sure for $500 they'd have to cut some things, but the hardware internals are overkill anyways.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/11/go...age-with-chrome-updates/?ncid=rss#98A4Ud:MpKr

Not saying this is an excuse to buy the Pixel or coding is the purpose but Google wants to expand Chrome OS to more than just Chrome books.

Jigolo

I hope over the course of this year Chrome OS fleshes out even more to become a viable competitor to OS X and Windows. I haven't used a chromebook since the first generation when the Aura update first launched way back in 2012. Sold my Samsung chromebook and have been watching this baby develop for some time now. Google should embrace the offline and launch more standard apps not tied to Chrome extensions to really get this baby going. (Also lighten up Chrome a little, Googs)

The Pixel is fucking amazing hardware (minus the storage).

Saiyan-Rox

has anyone wondered how Google gets away with selling HD movies on Google play?

as it stands right now I can only play the DBZ movie in HD on my computer and N6 as for everything else those won't download or play in HD on either of them! i've had this problem before with movies and Google refunded me them but still how can they sell movies listed as HD if nothing can actually play the movies in HD? not my chromebook not my PC not my phone etc

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do people really believe this marketing nonsense? No. It's sold to the general public on the Play Store. It's a consumer device.

asdad123

The Z3 is great. Really, really great. Fast, screen is superb, touch response is excellent, it feels nice in my hand, the size is manageable and it just works.

I traded my Nexus 6 for a z3 on saturday and I love it! Wish I did it sooner. The size is just perfect. The nexus was too large and slippery in my hand.

And oh god the battery. Its amazing. I unplugged it at 4:30 am (15 hours ago) and I have nearly an hour of screen time and its only down to 85% battery. My nexus 6 would have been at like 60% by now

Groof

Welp. Just had to reboot my Nexus 5 because it started becoming a laggy piece of shit.

This is not the update we deserved.

Milpool

I traded my Nexus 6 for a z3 on saturday and I love it! Wish I did it sooner. The size is just perfect. The nexus was too large and slippery in my hand.

And oh god the battery. Its amazing. I unplugged it at 4:30 am (15 hours ago) and I have nearly an hour of screen time and its only down to 85% battery. My nexus 6 would have been at like 60% by now

If 5.1 doesn't fix the sound issues on my Nexus 6 I'm gonna lob it in the canal and maybe go with sony.

I've read elsewhere that the sounds fading in is a "feature" on all moto phones and wont be resolved... Can anyone confirm?

Saiyan-Rox

If 5.1 doesn't fix the sound issues on my Nexus 6 I'm gonna lob it in the canal and maybe go with sony.

I've read elsewhere that the sounds fading in is a "feature" on all moto phones and wont be resolved... Can anyone confirm?

Think I'll be doing the same as you in getting rid of the N6 if the sound issues don't get fixed! but not going to Sony though I love their hardware but software not so much.

Might wait and see if Google show off anything at I/O before I take the jump to a new device but I hope the sound issues are fixed.

yyzjohn

Banned
Welp. Just had to reboot my Nexus 5 because it started becoming a laggy piece of shit.

This is not the update we deserved.

That's weird, I flashed the 5.1 update to my Nexus 5 last night and haven't had any issues. The phone seems snappier than before.

Correction on "no issues", trusted places unlock used to work, now it doesn't.

Groof

That's weird, I flashed the 5.1 update to my Nexus 5 last night and haven't had any issues. The phone seems snappier than before.

Correction on "no issues", trusted places unlock used to work, now it doesn't.

I've had it up and running for 2 days now. First day after a flash is always going to be good. 3 days is minimum to make a proper assessment, usually.

Jzero

I've had it up and running for 2 days now. First day after a flash is always going to be good. 3 days is minimum to make a proper assessment, usually.

Nexus 5s are buggy. Glad I upgraded to the Nexus 6, its still has bugs but not as many.

NotBacon

Oh a new pixel https://store.google.com/product/chromebook_pixel_2015

doesn't look any different, just an internal change then.

Cool I guess. Still a steep price for an extended Chrome browser.

Throw Linux on there and it would become a real laptop. But I'd rather just get that XPS 13 for Linux. More storage and cheaper.

After reading THIS I think you all might be crazy for dissing on TouchWiz so hard.

I'll give them 3: close all recents, volume menu, power menu. The rest are personal preference, gimmicks, or things I can easily use a 3rd party app for.

I'd much rather have the choice to install features than having my system come with everything and the kitchen sink.

Cipherr

Do people really believe this marketing nonsense? No. It's sold to the general public on the Play Store. It's a consumer device.

Well something needs to give then. They are making a new pixel. If "no one buys these things" then why is another one being made? You seem to be immediately dismissing what they are saying as bs, but its the only thing that makes sense:

http://www.omgchrome.com/chromebook-pixel-2-teamwork-confirmed/
“We do have a new Pixel coming out and it will be coming out soon. We will be selling it but I just have to set your expectations: this is a development platform. This is really a proof of concept. We don’t make very many of these — we really don’t. And […] our developers and our Googlers consume 85% of what we produce. But yes, we do have a new Pixel coming out.”

I'm not finding that very hard to believe. Its on the store, but there is no way in HELL they are selling a lot of these things. Not even close. 85% being used internally and by developers sounds completely believable, even though I would expect it to be around 95% with another 4% being people who got one free from an I/O.

And theres no way they are manufacturing a lot of them, so....

Vanillalite

Well something needs to give then. They are making a new pixel. If "no one buys these things" then why is another one being made? You seem to be immediately dismissing what they are saying as bs, but its the only thing that makes sense:

http://www.omgchrome.com/chromebook-pixel-2-teamwork-confirmed/

I'm not finding that very hard to believe. Its on the store, but there is no way in HELL they are selling a lot of these things. Not even close. 85% being used internally and by developers sounds completely believable, even though I would expect it to be around 95% with another 4% being people who got one free from an I/O.

And theres no way they are manufacturing a lot of them, so....

Again a development platform with what? I doubt Google internally is using a 3d party cloud IDE. The experimental Android SDK for Chrome OS? I could see one or two people for testing purposes I guess.

I'm trying to even find the internal use for them. Everyone at Google already has either a Mac in some form other another PC using Goobuntu aka Google's customzied version of Ubuntu. Both of those can already run everything they'd want to run on Chrome OS.

It's literally the same situation internally as is it for anyone externally who wants one.They'd be gimping themselves for productivity usage.

clav

For people who only had Qualcomm processors available when others on different carriers had Exynos on previous Samsung models. I remember there was a severe S3 kernel bug that I didn't have to worry about since my phone ran on Qualcomm, not Exynos.

I'm thinking the S6 will probably be Exynos with a Qualcomm modem for those users or who knows Samsung might surprise them. Hence, I said don't laugh because we don't know what these users are going to get.

Top Bottom