• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Rootbeer

Banned
My N5 got the 5.1 OTR update pushed! Imagine my excitement.

Imagine my frustration as the update failed after it rebooted to install it.

Jzero

Lame i couldn't sideload the OTA on my rooted nexus 6 for some reason. It was updating just fine but when it restarted i was still on 5.0.1

Fed up with my VZW G3 not having Lollipop yet, I pulled my Note II out of retirement, and updated it to the latest CM12 Nightly. It's glorious, and I'm tempted to ditch my G3 in favor of it as my daily device.

Is the interface pretty close to stock 5.0, or did CM add a bunch of stuff on top?

For people who only had Qualcomm processors available when others on different carriers had Exynos on previous Samsung models. I remember there was a severe S3 kernel bug that I didn't have to worry about since my phone ran on Qualcomm, not Exynos.

I'm thinking the S6 will probably be Exynos with a Qualcomm modem for those users or who knows Samsung might surprise them. Hence, I said don't laugh because we don't know what these users are going to get.

None of the other available SoCs are anywhere near the performance of Exynos 7420. Given the choice, Samsung will obviously prefer their owh flagship in-house SoC over third party ones for their flagship devices. The reason Samsung used Qualcomm Snapdragon in North American Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and Note 3/4 is because Exynos didn't have native support for radio/baseband chips and there wasn't anybody except Qualcomm who produced CDMA-capable radios anyways.

So it made sense on the NA flagships to just use the whole Snapdragon SoC with integrated radio/baseband rather than do what they did with the Note II which was use Exynos and then also an outboard Qualcomm radio/baseband chip. The all-important time-to-market was probably the reason for this decision, they didn't love Qualcomm or anything to begin with. Exynos was having issues anyways during this period as the transition to octa-core big.LITTLE was messy and early Exynos octa-core SoCs had some notable performance problems.

However now that Samsung has kicked Qualcomm to the curb because the Snapdragon 810 manages to get itself outperformed by a Mediatek SoC (lol) and runs way hotter than Exynos produced on Samsung's 14nm FinFET (LOL), they will probably go back to using Exynos + outboard Qualcomm radio/baseband.

Sell your Qualcomm stock if you have any.

Wolfson DAC coming back to Galaxy S6 and Note 5 will make anybody who uses their phone as their music player really happy.

Only 2 companies are currently on the 14nm node: Intel and Samsung. Being in Intel's company means you are pretty fucking advanced. Nobody else is remotely close to 14nm right now, although Intel is making way bigger dies at 14nm than Samsung are.

Is the Wolfson DAC confirmed?

Nope.

But who else are they going to use? They got burned by Yamaha in the Galaxy SII. Not a lot of other people out there making integrated mobile audio hubs.

Exynos variant Galaxy S3/4/5 and Note II/3/4 all used Wolfson DACs, I would be shocked if Exynos Galaxy S6 and Note 5 didn't use them.

Sid

So I'm using the default Samsung browser on my Note 4 and surprisingly it's a lot better than Chrome except at tab switching,pretty close to a perfect mobile browser for me

So the Nexus 5 is officially dead. Google is done selling them. There will be more inventory.

Bring on nexus phone 2015 full of fingerprint love and usb c and I'm sure 8 inch screen.

Hasney

OTA sideload went smoothly and everything does seem so damn smooth. I'll see if I get any issues and if I do, I'll install the factory when available and try it that way.

Sid

Why does Samsung have too many phones which all pretty much look the same? do they not get the message that they need to streamline (discontinue 90% of their phones) their lineup to be more appealing?

Rootbeer

Banned
flashed and did a fresh wipe and re-reoot / custom recovery of my Nexus 5 to 5.1. Everything going excellent so far. Think I have the rooting process pretty much completely down now (only my second time doing it)... so the next time there is an OS update I think I can handle it a lot faster.

Anyway, it's damn nice having a Nexus device. I chose to skip the N6 and wait for its successor later this year... still happy with that choice. N5 is still a really great phone.

Please add a fingerprint sensor to the N6 successor, Google! It's time to make it standard.

Please add a fingerprint sensor to the N6 successor, Google! It's time to make it standard.
Considering Android Pay will most likely be a very large part of Google I/O this year it would be laughable if the Nexus phone didn't have one.

Then again, this is google and doing weird things is their specialty. I also hope they copy Apple and give 3rd party access to the sensor which I'm not sure Samsung did, or at least they didn't mention it.

Saiyan-Rox

Well there seems to be some sound issues remaining on my N6 after the OTA but i'll leave it to sit a day or two just to make sure but i'll probably end up jumping back on cyanogenmod after they update to 5.1.

Speaking of cyanogenmod i'm real surprised they haven't fixed the lag issue when using a secure lockscreen! the whole system staggers and has lag when you turn it on.

Hasney

Nexus 6 gets the goods on 5.1. Aw yissssssssss.

Now give me my damn factory image

Seriously, the thing hasn't even hiccuped once today, even flitting around apps like a madman.

Will have to try the camera later.

EDIT: Fuck it, tried it now. In videos, it now doesn't focus as you move, only when you stop moving. It also feels a bit quicker to focus, so an improvement.

No idea if that's good enough or whatever since I never use cameras on the phone.

Hasney

I just went into a particularly gif heavy page of the wrestling thread and my N6 not only survived, but didn't even stutter.

That won't last.

zatara

its amazing how much battery life improves just by turning off google now. previously my g3 would get 3hrs SOT on most days, now I'm getting 5-6hrs easily.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
vaio_phone.0.0.jpg

ok then

My Nexus 5 is serving me pretty well today (for some reason).

I took if off the charger around 8 or 9 am, got 2,5 h SoT so far and still have 38% battery left. I did mostly web browsing on WiFi and some podcast listening.

It's not impressive by any means, but I feel like closing in on 3 hours SoT is rarely possible. Turning off voice commands from any screen could help as well. I still hope they're going to have a good follow up on the N5 for 349 this year.

The cached data blowing up for no reason is still annoying me. Here's my post about this from last week:
I complained about the huge cache on my device a while ago and after deleting it 3 or 4 weeks ago, I grew to 6 GB again, taking up all the free space on my phone. I really wonder what's causing this.

After that post, I delete it. Now I'm checking again and it's already over 3 GB big. I really don't understand it. I thought it might've been Tapet and it's randomly generated wallpapers that I set to change every 12 hours. Perhaps it didn't delete the old ones properly, so I deleted the app. Nope.

Maybe 5.1 can fix this.

SimleuqiR

Vaio is not part of Sony. This is a smartphone for the Japanese market to complement Vaio's laptop lineup. My guess is that they don't want to spend mobey on software so they are going to ship it with stock Android plus Google services.

Dreams crushed.
Forgot Sony offloaded Vaio laptops.

NotBacon

Seriously, the thing hasn't even hiccuped once today, even flitting around apps like a madman.

Will have to try the camera later.

EDIT: Fuck it, tried it now. In videos, it now doesn't focus as you move, only when you stop moving. It also feels a bit quicker to focus, so an improvement.

No idea if that's good enough or whatever since I never use cameras on the phone.

Obviously :p
It's always had that video focus issue.

Top Bottom