• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

j-wood

Super odd happenings with my nexus 6. This morning it fell out of my jacket while tying my shoes, less than a foot. Vibrate stopped working. I hit the back of the phone on my palm a couple of times, vibrate starts working again.

I go to lunch and drop my phone on the table. Vibrate stops working. This time hitting the back of it does nothing. I contact Motorola and start going through tech support to get a replacement. I realized that on lollipop rebooting the phone doesn't clear recent apps. So I clear those, tap the back again, and vibrate starts working normally.

I really don't want to swap phones. Can anyone explain what's happening? As long as my phone doesn't take a shot do you think vibrate will be fine?

j-wood

Does less than a foot really count as a drop? This thing is in a case and isn't made of glass. Obviously the motor isn't dead, I'm asking if anyone has heard of then coming lose or something.

So Verizon finally approved Lollipop for my phone. But now I need to swipe up when I wake my phone (One m8) to unlock it when I didn't before. Can't find the option any more? Halp plz

If confusing, I'd like to wake up my phone and be greeted with the pattern lock.

Quasar

Well. And to think I had finally been considering to upgrade my nexus 4 to a 5 as the on off button is now almost worn out and waiting for the next nexus seems too far away.

Maybe I'll just grab a cheap moto g and wait.

Jzero

Well. And to think I had finally been considering to upgrade my nexus 4 to a 5 as the on off button is now almost worn out and waiting for the next nexus seems too far away.

Maybe I'll just grab a cheap moto e and wait.

They're not that bad. I bought one for my mom and the second gen seems even better.

So i got my HTC M8 Lolipop update finally...And i don't care for it. I hate the double swipe down for "quick settings". Why the hell can't i just pull down the whole menu with one swipe?? And i HATE lock screen + security code. Apparently no way to get rid of lock screen? Even when i disable lock screen notifications i still have to swipe. It's so pointless for me. Blah.

So i got my HTC M8 Lolipop update finally...And i don't care for it. I hate the double swipe down for "quick settings". Why the hell can't i just pull down the whole menu with one swipe?? And i HATE lock screen + security code. Apparently no way to get rid of lock screen? Even when i disable lock screen notifications i still have to swipe. It's so pointless for me. Blah.
You can if you pull down with two fingers instead of one.

NotBacon

Nexus 6 on 5.1 is............ dank. It's never been a slouch, but now it's just insane.

This phone is 99% perfect now.
My last gripe: when you swipe away an app on the recents screen, occasionally the tip of the app card hangs there for a fraction of a second at the screen edge, before disappearing. It's off-putting and shows lazy programming.

kmfdmpig

Tablet question:

I want to buy a fairly nice tablet to read comics and perhaps browse/watch videos/play games, but mostly for reading comics. I currently use a Nook HD+, which is surprisingly good for comic reading.

The things most important to me are the aspect ratio (it must be 16:10) an SD slot (so no Nexus 9) and screen quality.
I was hoping the Galaxy Tab S 2 would be better than the original as it seems odd to buy something 9 months old, but the Tab S 2 will have the wrong aspect ratio and a lower res. screen. The Z4 Tablet seems interesting, but based on prices in Europe seems overpriced.

I don't see anything on the horizon worth waiting for and am therefore thinking about getting a refurbished Tab S. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Tablet question:

I want to buy a fairly nice tablet to read comics and perhaps browse/watch videos/play games, but mostly for reading comics. I currently use a Nook HD+, which is surprisingly good for comic reading.

The things most important to me are the aspect ratio (it must be 16:10) an SD slot (so no Nexus 9) and screen quality.
I was hoping the Galaxy Tab S 2 would be better than the original as it seems odd to buy something 9 months old, but the Tab S 2 will have the wrong aspect ratio and a lower res. screen. The Z4 Tablet seems interesting, but based on prices in Europe seems overpriced.

I don't see anything on the horizon worth waiting for and am therefore thinking about getting a refurbished Tab S. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Surface Pro 3

Dead

well not really...yet
Tablet question:

If 8.4" range is okay, then Dell Venue 8 7000 is one of the best android tablets around, has an OLED screen, microsd and is 16:10

Otherwise I would wait for the Z4

Tablet question:

get the Tab S

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just flashed 5.1 fresh on my N10 since this will be the last (major) update it will ever receive :''(
No, it isn't. This tablet is going to keep going strong!

Mario007

Hi guys, just a question. I just bought an Xperia Z2 here in China but it is the Chinese version of the phone, ie google services and apps are completely missing. Is there any way to get the play services on the phone without having to root it and flashing them in?

Dobsie

Maybe I'll just grab a cheap moto g and wait.
Try taking the back off and reseating the power button on the n4, it worked for me when I was using mine.

Some dude on Reddit swapped the battery in their n5 with a g2 battery

I really want to do this, but I'm not handy with these things so I'd probably burn it up
Wow that's brilliant!

vwnut13

from the other thread, other than health app:

Stability Enhancements

-Increases stability of Mail
-Improves stability of Flyover in Maps
-Improves stability of Music
-Improves VoiceOver reliability
-Improves connectivity with Made for iPhone Hearing Aids

Bug Fixes

-Fixes an issue in Maps that prevented navigating to some favorite locations
-Addresses an issue where the last word in a quick reply message wasn’t autocorrected
-Fixes an issue where duplicate iTunes purchased content could prevent iCloud restore from completing
-Resolves an issue where some music or playlists didn’t sync from iTunes to the Music app
-Fixes an issue where deleted audiobooks sometimes remained on the device
-Resolves an issue that could prevent call audio from routing to car speakers while using Siri Eyes Free
-Fixes a Bluetooth calling issue where no audio is heard until the call is answered
-Fixes a timezone issue where Calendar events appear in GMT
-Addresses an issue that caused certain events in a custom reoccurring meeting to drop from Exchange calendar
-Fixes an certificate error that prevented configuring an Exchange account behind a third-party gateway
-Fixes an issue that could cause an organizer’s Exchange meeting notes to be overwritten
-Resolves an issue that prevented some Calendar events from automatically showing as “busy” after accepting an invite.

all I know is apple released an update and I can download it on any ios device I have. This is 2015. Google pls.

I sure am glad that I use an operating system where system apps can be updated individually and not just through system updates.

Looking at that list, it seems to me a majority of the issues addressed in iOS 8.2 pertain to Mail/Maps/Music/Calendar.

In the time between the release of iOS 8.1.3 and of 8.2, Google has updates Maps three times, Play Music three times, and Calendar twice. Gmail hasn't had an update.

Hasney

Oh shit, I just had a UI redraw!!

5184625+_955cae8f093399fee194858095364f87.gif

I sure am glad that I use an operating system where system apps can be updated individually and not just through system updates.

Looking at that list, it seems to me a majority of the issues addressed in iOS 8.2 pertain to Mail/Maps/Music/Calendar.

In the time between the release of iOS 8.1.3 and of 8.2, Google has updates Maps three times, Play Music three times, and Calendar twice. Gmail hasn't had an update.

It also brings the fixes and improvements to older devices. I refuse to update my iPad 4 to iOS 8,because 7 already runs like shit.

Talon

Vaio is not part of Sony. This is a smartphone for the Japanese market to complement Vaio's laptop lineup. My guess is that they don't want to spend mobey on software so they are going to ship it with stock Android plus Google services.

Looks like a pretty good low/mid tier phone, maybe something to compete with the moto E.

Dreams crushed.
Forgot Sony offloaded Vaio laptops.
It's literally a rebranded Pantech phone.

Nothing to see here.

kmfdmpig

Listen to this guy. Tab S 2

Tab S 2? The one that is coming out in the future? It seems like a downgrade from the Tab S in a few ways to me (resolution + aspect ratio). I'm sure it will be faster at least, but the aspect ratio is a deal killer for me.

rrvv

since I am in japan I can confirm that the market share of phone market in japan is

70% iPhone
20% xperia
5% fliphone
5% others

based on my observation anyway

You can if you pull down with two fingers instead of one.

Ah, cool but i'm more of a thumb dude so still kinda shitty for me.

Oh nice.

Also noticed my One M8 can go to lock screen by swiping up (probably always there but I'm an Android newb still)

Wow, just noticed swiping up while screen off skips the lock screen and straight to security. Crisis adverted for now but still have to get use to it because i loved the double tap to turn on so much and swipe has a specific sweet spot. Hope the M9 fixes this.

Cheebo

Banned
Tab S 2? The one that is coming out in the future? It seems like a downgrade from the Tab S in a few ways to me (resolution + aspect ratio). I'm sure it will be faster at least, but the aspect ratio is a deal killer for me.

It's resolution will not be less. You are misreading the specs, the only reason it is technically lower is the changed screen aspect ratio to the more traditional tablet standard. It is exactly the same as the Tab S in terms of the actual screen resolution when factoring in the new aspect ration. 16:10 is no longer really the norm for Android tablets. If that is your requirement you are going to be really limiting yourself going forward. There is a reason Google had the Nexus 9 be 16:9. It's the tablet standard for Android now.

Cheebo

Banned
At this point anyone interested in Surface should just wait for Surface Pro 4. We should be seeing it around June or so.

Top Bottom