• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Milpool

Bought it from carphone warehouse afaik they'll just send it to Google and leave me phoneless for a couple of weeks thats if they even believe me about the sound issues. I'm not even sure if it's hardware or software related or not.

The frequent xda threads about the issue seem to agree on it being a software issue, I didn't know it was so easy replicable. Closing hangouts and changing the notification tone, it has a missing start every single time for me too. Maybe it's some sort of super aggressive power saving feature?

Almost all the OEM ringtones, notification, and other random sounds are shit. Especially those from LG and Samsung. Glad to see Sammy is now getting it together in that regard.

Saiyan-Rox

The frequent xda threads about the issue seem to agree on it being a software issue, I didn't know it was so easy replicable. Closing hangouts and changing the notification tone, it has a missing start every single time for me too. Maybe it's some sort of super aggressive power saving feature?

Happens for you too then? yeah you can replicate it on the dialer too for every ringtone. I put the issue on the bug tracker guess that's all I can do on the matter. the messaging app doesn't do the issue for every sound like the dialer does it seems to be just the Hangouts message tone.

Has anyone been experiencing volume issues with Chromecast? I've never had to toggle the volume on my phone with apps like YouTube and Google Music before but when I started streaming today, with my tv volume set to its normal level, there was no sound at all. I had to crank up the volume on my phone to max, it brought up a chromecast specific volume bar that I've never seen/used before. Was this just always set to max by default without me noticing?

Milpool

Happens for you too then?

Yeah, some people say toggling a setting in- Settings>Developer Options> Use NuPlayer (experimental), has fixed the issue for them but I had no luck with it.

I wonder if it's anything to do with the ascending ringtone being forced/baked into the OS, who thought this was a good Idea? I don't even know my phone is ringing until 3 rings in.

What's annoying is that if you google 'moto sound fade' you get forum posts from people with this exact issue on moto phones from 3+ years ago. Also while on the homescreen if I put the volume on max and slowly press volume down twice then volume up twice repeatedly the loudness of the beeps is very inconsistent. Sometimes the second loudest setting is way louder than the loudest setting, which makes me think some kind of terrible normalisation is going on.

Wreav

Banned
Has anyone been experiencing volume issues with Chromecast? I've never had to toggle the volume on my phone with apps like YouTube and Google Music before but when I started streaming today, with my tv volume set to its normal level, there was no sound at all. I had to crank up the volume on my phone to max, it brought up a chromecast specific volume bar that I've never seen/used before. Was this just always set to max by default without me noticing?

It's been there forever.

It's been there forever.
I've been messing around with the sound settings on my phone lately. I used to permanently keep it on silent but I finally found where to disable the 'Wi-Fi hotspot available' notification and set my phones volume to max volume. Did I just somehow lower the volume on Chromecast? Does it use whatever volume setting I have music, media, etc. currently set to? Because I've tweaked that level constantly on my phone but it never affected my Chromecast's volume.

Quasar

Weird. Thats not happened to me before.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
DAT gsmarena review of the s6

lolol

google gonna goog man.

That quote on its own is pretty misleading, the S6 still has good battery life:

gsmarena_001.jpg

So I posted about possibly getting a note 4 or nexus 6 like a week ago and I ended up walking out with the note 4.

Coming from windows phone, what are some great apps for android/note 4 specifically?

Welp, I figured the battery would be worse than the S5. No amount of processor, display, whatever efficiency can overcome a small battery powering a phone running Android.

Of course, that's assuming GSMarena's battery testing is legit, and other outlets report similar findings.

So I posted about possibly getting a note 4 or nexus 6 like a week ago and I ended up walking out with the note 4.

Coming from windows phone, what are some great apps for android/note 4 specifically?
what kind of apps are you looking for? Good podcast app? Pocket Casts. Useful cool app? AirDroid. Launcher? Nova or Google Now launcher. File system type app? Cabinet. Definitely replace the stock messaging app with Google Messenger or Hangouts. Replace the stock email app with Gmail.

That quote on its own is pretty misleading, the S6 still has good battery life:
we're not supposed to be going backwards though

Jigolo

I think the funnier thing here is that people are already closing the chapter on S6 battery life after 1 review.

I'm leaning towards the One M9 now because Sense Lollipop is so smooth and there is no jank at all, battery life, and it's not Samsung no matter how uninspired it is design wise compared to last year.

Avixph

I'm leaning towards the One M9 now because Sense Lollipop is so smooth and there is no jank at all, battery life, and it's not Samsung no matter how uninspired it is design wise compared to last year.
Okay, but know this The G Flex 2 has a 3,000 mAH battery and GSMArena gave it a worse battery score than the Galaxy S6, so what battery score do you think they will give the One M9 that has a 2,800 mAH?

NotBacon

Airdroid looks really cool! Are there any good apps for reading manga or viewing reddit?

Sync for Reddit is the best of the bunch. I always try out others when they update, but then I find my self back on Sync. With small cards and night mode of course :p

Also someone just posted a thread asking about the best Android apps, so you might find good in there.

Nah Moto will dissapoint with battery and I don't want a Nexus 7 phone version. LG's UI and software will be jank like the G Flex 2.
moto x battery will be beast. Moto Maxx and Droid turbo combined beleeeeedat

But yeah battery was the one concern in just about every single review. I'll be surprised if they skimp again.

moto x battery will be beast. Moto Maxx and Droid turbo combined beleeeeedat

But yeah battery was the one concern in just about every single review. I'll be surprised if they skimp again.

I'd rather not wait 6 months for it as I have an upgrade around April. At this point it's do or die with the M9 or S6 and I think I've pretty much made up my mind. Lollipop on Sense is so good. It's even smoother than stock on Moto X.

Chorazin

Huh. If you hit a volume button to bring up the volume slider in 5.1, tap the Bell icon in the upper left and it'll put it on Vibrate mode! Is this new or am I just the last person to notice this?

ILoveBish

Still using my aging Note 2. I had to help out at work and deliver stuff to drivers, so used my phone and gps'd my way to the first driver. Dropped off stuff, went to input 2nd address, and my phone turns off while inputting the address. Hmm, i pull battery, phone booting up and turns off again. The battery died. Not like low charge died, it died died. But guess what i did? I got back to work, switched out to a spare battery i got from ebay, and it fired right up. If that happened to me with a S6, id have to replace my entire phone AND lose access to all my pictures on the internal storage since there is no microsd.

Just shows that Note 4 is the only phone to get at this point, #teamnote4in2015.

Avixph

Still using my aging Note 2. I had to help out at work and deliver stuff to drivers, so used my phone and gps'd my way to the first driver. Dropped off stuff, went to input 2nd address, and my phone turns off while inputting the address. Hmm, i pull battery, phone booting up and turns off again. The battery died. Not like low charge died, it died died. But guess what i did? I got back to work, switched out to a spare battery i got from ebay, and it fired right up. If that happened to me with a S6, id have to replace my entire phone AND lose access to all my pictures on the internal storage since there is no microsd.

Just shows that Note 4 is the only phone to get at this point, #teamnote4in2015.
If the battery dies on the Galaxy S6 you don't have to replace the phone just pop of the back and replace the defective battery.

Rootbeer

Banned
the best reddit app is Reddit Sync Pro. Accept no substitutes.

I used to swear by reddit is fun. it's still solid but Sync Pro has a way nicer interface (material design!)

Top Bottom