• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Still using my aging Note 2. I had to help out at work and deliver stuff to drivers, so used my phone and gps'd my way to the first driver. Dropped off stuff, went to input 2nd address, and my phone turns off while inputting the address. Hmm, i pull battery, phone booting up and turns off again. The battery died. Not like low charge died, it died died. But guess what i did? I got back to work, switched out to a spare battery i got from ebay, and it fired right up. If that happened to me with a S6, id have to replace my entire phone AND lose access to all my pictures on the internal storage since there is no microsd.

Just shows that Note 4 is the only phone to get at this point, #teamnote4in2015.

Lol the battery on the S6 is dead the moment you buy it. Look at those pitiful stats 😂😂

ILoveBish

Take it to a professional.

I must be getting trolled. I don't want to have to go to a place that sells water bottle refills/smart phone repairs.

If the battery dies while it's under warranty you could take it in for repair and they would install a new battery. Duh.

Or, or.... Just stay with me here, i could just pop out the rear cover and replace it myself. Like i did today!

After one year, your phone warranty won't matter.

Can i come over and remove all your warranty stickers from all your products without warranty? Doesn't matter, right? Again, i feel like i'm getting trolled.

Lol the battery on the S6 is dead the moment you buy it. Look at those pitiful stats 😂😂

What do the stats have to do with having a easily replaceable battery? My 2 spare batteries in my pocket will destroy any batter life the s6 or s10 (omg is chevy going to sue when the day comes?!) anyday of the week.

Saiyan-Rox

Maybe that's why I haven't seen it, I rarely use Hangouts. How can I replicate it?

It happens on any SMS app from what I can see. Just make sure your app is closed open it and go change the notification sound to hangouts message and see if it playa wrong. Same with the dialer change the ringtone and see the start always play way too low.

Yeah, some people say toggling a setting in- Settings>Developer Options> Use NuPlayer (experimental), has fixed the issue for them but I had no luck with it.

I wonder if it's anything to do with the ascending ringtone being forced/baked into the OS, who thought this was a good Idea? I don't even know my phone is ringing until 3 rings in.

What's annoying is that if you google 'moto sound fade' you get forum posts from people with this exact issue on moto phones from 3+ years ago. Also while on the homescreen if I put the volume on max and slowly press volume down twice then volume up twice repeatedly the loudness of the beeps is very inconsistent. Sometimes the second loudest setting is way louder than the loudest setting, which makes me think some kind of terrible normalisation is going on.

I just wish google would acknowledge the bug its stuff like this that drives me nuts its even note strange that cyan hasn't fixed it either.

Milpool

minx

Any known fixes for this AT&T Galaxy s5 4.4 update where pressing the home button brings up Google now? Really annoying.

Is Amazon's app store still running within their app? I thought they had to patch it out? I just downloaded a game from the app and it shows up as an Amazon App Store app. The app even asks me to update the app upon launch.

Hasney

Is Amazon's app store still running within their app? I thought they had to patch it out? I just downloaded a game from the app and it shows up as an Amazon App Store app. The app even asks me to update the app upon launch.

Have you got the actual Amazon App Store installed separate? I don't know if they interact if that's the case.

Have you got the actual Amazon App Store installed separate? I don't know if they interact if that's the case.

I don't. Just the regular Amazon App. Version 5.2.0. Maybe it's old? But I haven't got an update prompt from the Play Store,just from within the app.

E: Yeah, it's old. And apparently not from the Play Store either. I don't remember sideloading it, though.

Or, or.... Just stay with me here, i could just pop out the rear cover and replace it myself. Like i did today!

I was replying to the fact that you said if the battery died you would need to "replace my entire phone AND lose access to all my pictures" and it would void your warranty to change swap the battery out. Which were a stupid comments.

What do the stats have to do with having a easily replaceable battery? My 2 spare batteries in my pocket will destroy any batter life the s6 or s10 (omg is chevy going to sue when the day comes?!) anyday of the week.

I have several external battery packs that I can charge my phone on the go with, extra batteries aren't the only option.

That quote on its own is pretty misleading, the S6 still has good battery life:

gsmarena_001.jpg

are we looking at the same image?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Holy fuck that whistle wasn't the twitter app?

Do do a do do. I whistled it every time I heard it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
are we looking at the same image?

Probably not if you disagree with me ;)

I don't know in what world those are considered "bad" numbers. Just looking at GSMArena's battery tests, it's slightly worse than the S5(unless you really care about the insane talk time on the S5) and it's hovering around the same battery life as the iPhone, OnePlus One, G3 etc.

Straight from the GSMArena review:

The battery scores aren't that bad and are in fact higher than average. The S6's battery had enough juice to last 17 and a half hours on 3G calls, almost 9 hours on non-stop web browsing and 10 and a half hours on looped video playback. The stand-by endurance is slightly above average too.

In the end the new flagship managed to achieve of respectable rating of 64h, which might not be as impressive as the 83h mark of Galaxy S5, but it still means your Galaxy S6 will last at least two and a half days if you are using it for an hour of calls, web and video playback each day.

Probably not if you disagree with me ;)

I don't know in what world those are considered "bad" numbers. Just looking at GSMArena's battery tests, it's slightly worse than the S5(unless you really care about the insane talk time on the S5) and it's hovering around the same battery life as the iPhone, OnePlus One, G3 etc.

Straight from the GSMArena review:

oh, now it's "insane talk time" ... more like shit antenna design killing talk time and idle battery life.

bringing 2012 back.

Avixph

This review seems fishy because how was GSM Arena able to post a review of the Galaxy S6 when all the other major tech sites haven't put theirs up?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
oh, now it's "insane talk time" ... more like shit antenna design killing talk time and idle battery life.

You do realize that their endurance rating for the S6 is still 64 hours...right? It's not like the phone will die the moment you unplug the charger.

And the S5's numbers WERE boosted by the talk time:

galaxy-s5-lolli-battery.jpg

(they were even lower at launch on Kit Kat)

worse talk time because of premium materials (aka shit antenna design) especially considering how much those chipsets have improved in power usage... they effectively made power sipping connectivity have worse life than generations ago with their apple chasing bullshit.

but guess what, when the screen is on it's about the same because holy shit their screens are damn power efficient, contrary to certain people bitching about resolution.

anyway... still the goat

waiting on FinFET 2/TegraZOWNED

Avixph

To anyone that lives in the UK, the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge will be available for people to experience starting today Saturday March 14th at all SESs (Samsung Experience Shops).
CAEz8tFXEAAcKPa.jpg:large

Source: @Faryaab Via: Sammobile

I just realized that Oxygen OS is STILL not out for the OPO lol. And the only pic they've released of it as far as I know is a pic that looks like regular stock:

FbCs4Bp.png

Not really inspiring much confidence in future updates considering how long this is taking but maybe it will be faster once they launch the first official version.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just realized that Oxygen OS is STILL not out for the OPO lol. And the only pic they've released of it as far as I know is a pic that looks like regular stock:

FbCs4Bp.png

Not really inspiring much confidence in future updates considering how long this is taking but maybe it will be faster once they launch the first official version.

What does this matter?

Saiyan-Rox

Looks like it's a 'feature not a bug' according to the chats people have had with moto support in this thread. It's probably built into the motorola audio binary so it's still present on custom roms. Something to do with front facing speakers and protecting our ears, do HTC phones have the same 'feature'?

The thing is if its a feature why doesn't it do it on all notification sounds and only the hangouts one? The feature if it is a feature and moto aren't just having a "tales from my ass" moment is lousy and stupid it makes the phone feel like its broken.

Uhhh if you're considering a OP2 this year it's something to think about. And this is an Android thread.

What a weird post.

Tbh the PA team keep the OS to as stock as possible then add their additions. I can't see oxygen ver 1 launching with more than what cyanogen has ATM on nightlies.

How is this update working anyway? I hear CM12S is due this month and so is oxygen so hows that going to work? 2 OTAs in one month? One with CM12S and then another to get rid of it?

Milpool

The thing is if its a feature why doesn't it do it on all notification sounds and only the hangouts one?

Yeah that's weird, I can't even replicate it with the hangouts notification at the moment. But the audio is randomly cut off no matter which sound I use when I get an actual message. They probably intended for it to only affect ringtones but it affects the whole system such as the speaker phone and notification sounds.

How is this update working anyway? I hear CM12S is due this month and so is oxygen so hows that going to work? 2 OTAs in one month? One with CM12S and then another to get rid of it?
oxygen isn't going to be OTA. You'll have to flash it yourself. Though it will probably start being OTA/launch with the phone with oneplus two.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Uhhh if you're considering a OP2 this year it's something to think about. And this is an Android thread.

What a weird post.
No, as a OPO owner, I don't see why them being late on releasing OxygenOS is a big deal.

And they have established pretty well with their CM updates that punctuality is not their strong suit.

No, as a OPO owner, I don't see why them being late on releasing OxygenOS is a big deal.

And they have established pretty well with their CM updates that punctuality is not their strong suit.
well CM isn't their fault really, they aren't the team doing those updates. Oxygen is in house. Also they have hyped it up a while ago even so much as putting out a countdown style invitation thing for an event where all they did was talk about it, and now there is one.single.screenshot.

lol. I didn't say it badly affects OPO owners now, I just said it's concerning going forward. They still have time though. They said March. 2 weeks left.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah that's weird, I can't even replicate it with the hangouts notification at the moment. But the audio is randomly cut off no matter which sound I use when I get an actual message. They probably intended for it to only affect ringtones but it affects the whole system such as the speaker phone and notification sounds.

When I get a message its the hangouts one that's cut off but the rest seem fine. I've ended up just using the calander notification sound for SMS now. I have to admit I'm tempted to sell this for another phone but not sure what I'd even get ATM.

oxygen isn't going to be OTA. You'll have to flash it yourself. Though it will probably start being OTA/launch with the phone with oneplus two.

Its not? So normal people who have the opo who have no idea about flashing are out of luck after the first CM12S?

Pooya

Samsung is essentially pushing people that liked their features to LG, LG has "exclusive" on replaceable battery+microSD in a flagship right now, hope it works out for them.

nataku

Hmm. I went into Sprint to look at the nexus 6. I like it, but they're telling me that old Alliant CU discount from the palm pre days will be taken away if i upgrade. I don't really want to do a contract, but can't afford to buy it outright, either. Easy pay puts my payments at around $102 a month, which is over $30 more than I'm paying now.

Omaha, Nebraska really sucks for taxes on mobile phones bills. My 4S is at the point where a lot of times it doesn't respond to my touches and just gets bogged down, then a few seconds later processes every touch all at once. I really need to find a new phone.

Saiyan-Rox

It's all up to cyanogen I guess how long they support the OG OPO. not really sure lol.

I'm sure the opo will be supported for ages when it comes to nightlies just a shame they're so quiet about what they're doing like they haven't a clue.

Have to admit if I do return this nexus 6 I'll probably go back to the opo or maybe wait it out for the next one. I live Sony's hardware but software not so much and they take ages to do anything. I know opo isn't much better but least its easy enough to flash.

If your download the Amazon app from the Amazon App Store, it's still the full Amazon app. The Amazon app available on Google Play is called Amazon Shopping and doesn't have the App Store functions.

Milpool

When I get a message its the hangouts one that's cut off but the rest seem fine. I've ended up just using the calander notification sound for SMS now. I have to admit I'm tempted to sell this for another phone but not sure what I'd even get ATM.

I'm in the same boat, but I know I'd miss the front facing speakers and OLED screen. Apparently the moto E and G have this sound problem too.

So my Nexus 4 is breaking, and I decided that it might be time for a new phone. Problem is that a lot of the latest phones are releasing sometime within the next couple months, but I don't think my phone can survive for that long. I'm wondering what the best Android phone is for a budget of around $300.

So my Nexus 4 is breaking, and I decided that it might be time for a new phone. Problem is that a lot of the latest phones are releasing sometime within the next couple months, but I don't think my phone can survive for that long. I'm wondering what the best Android phone is for a budget of around $300.

Look for a deal on a 2014 Moto X.

On a contract or off contract?

Top Bottom