• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angela design reportedly won't be changed in the final verison of Silent Hill 2 despite negative internet reactions

She sure did. Let's remember that Angela was a traumatized, scared suicidal girl.

The narrative is that she's a sad and depressed kid who feels trapped, and wants to kill herself. That's the character they're portraying here. She's not supposed to be radiating beauty and sexuality here. But yes. let's blame SBI and DEI for accurate portrayal of the character. I'm guessing most people complaining about this haven't even played the game.

Here's the original meeting for anyone who gives a shit.

The characters in the original game looked like plastic dolls because that's what every character looked like at the time. Certainly ones out of Japan. The characters in this one look like normal people.

I would just like a distinct jawline as the face modeling looks bad otherwise.

FeralEcho

She sure did. Let's remember that Angela was a traumatized, scared suicidal girl.

The narrative is that she's a sad and depressed kid who feels trapped, and wants to kill herself. That's the character they're portraying here. She's not supposed to be radiating beauty and sexuality here. But yes. let's blame SBI and DEI for accurate portrayal of the character. I'm guessing most people complaining about this haven't even played the game.

The characters in the original game looked like plastic dolls because that's what every character looked like at the time. Certainly ones out of Japan. The characters in this one look like normal people.

I've never met a woman in all my 31 years that looks like current portrayal of Angela,maybe lay off the weed when you're walking on the street and "normal" women won't look like this to you my guy...

T92hC9L.jpeg

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I would just like a distinct jawline as the face modeling looks bad otherwise.
I've never met a woman in all my 31 years that looks like current portrayal of Angela,maybe lay off the weed when you're walking on the street and "normal" women won't look like this to you my guy...
Not arguing that the face model looks good. It's not great. I'll even go farther and say it's bad. What I am arguing is the narrative around why it looks like it does, what forces were responsible for the design decision, and what it should look like. This is just a case of Bloober doing the best they apparently can.

killatopak

Gold Member
I’ll stick to the original.

I’ll probably play it once just to see if it’s any better qol wise.

Fat angela who supposed to be
an object of desire of her father. Pretty obvious with her related boss fight.

And Maria who’s supposed to be
a sexual take on her true self based on James’ desire. Literally has a scenario where she works on a strip club/seedy bar

There’s just a lot of red flags with some scenes at least in the previous trailers that seem to think the audience are dumb and try to make some stuff super obvious instead of allowing you to gradually uncover stuff.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is a non-issue.

Ugly people exist. It just so happens that Bloober created a shitty character model of an ugly person.

The game looked phenomenal in comparison to the original and even recent titles like Alone In The Dark.
The issue is its just very poorly made 3D model, just look at Annette in RE2Remake...
E4-6G1jVgAwXoGM

She is no "super model" but its well made character model.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Not arguing that the face model looks good. It's not great. I'll even go farther and say it's bad. What I am arguing is the narrative around why it looks like it does, what forces were responsible for the design decision, and what it should look like. This is just a case of Bloober doing the best they apparently can.
I think they suck at modeling faces I agree,even James looks awful...he looks malnourished while she looks like she ate all his meals lol.

Still,this is a good topic to be had,because it's not the first time women are uglified in games,in fact it's quite the current trend and people are showing they are sick of it all and that's the issue here,it has nothing to do with her or Maria having to look like some top model or something,you can make normal looking women and men in games and still make them pleasent to the eye and Japan proves it can be done,however it seems the west is incapable of detaching itself from the woke virus and keep making repulsive women and males that look nothing like the actor that plays them in an atempt to uglify them to please the mentally ill crowd that needs "representation" and regardless of whether or not it applies here as well it is worth discussing and researching the issue to expose it if it's indeed the work of these comitees that seem hellbent on uglifying our beloved characters.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe its not fair of me comparing them to Capcom, those guys always good making character models.

Jessie from original Dead Riding on 360.
hz53XKM.png

Kinda concerned why people want their
incestuous rape victims
to look sexier!
I think people just want better 3D model of the character. like I show example with Annette in my last post, you dont have to make her "sexy" to have good character model.

Frwrd

Its not even about model looking “too realistic” it just looks like a badly made model with poor expression.

For Monster Hunter Wild Capcom making character models more “realistic“but still managed make them looking waaaaaaaay better.

JbxLI4f.gif
If you told me this character was made after [Redacted] I swear to God I'd believe you. Holy shit.

Frwrd

Angela looked awful. She portrayed none of the mystique or anguish that is associated with her character in that first meeting with James. A real disappointment to see such a downgrade to such an important character. Maria looked better aesthetically, but it's obvious now she will lack the sex appeal and dangerous, manipulative edge she had in the original. Sensitivity consultancy services? Just kick them to the fucking curb and go with your own vision. I don't understand why they have to get involved with the studio.
[Nothing].

Last edited:

Puscifer

Exactly this! Can't see the 'sex appeal' nor how can this bitch be manipulative at all. She looks more like the depressive/suicidal type, while the non-existent sex appeal makes her look like she's gonna want to give me a rim job and peg me right after (can I even say that shit on here? Ah whatever ban me if it's necessary.)
I've consulted the admin (I didn't) and we'll allow it (he might)

ZoukGalaxy

She's ugly as fuck and I really don't like what I have seen so far from this legenday game; camera looks too close, gameplay looks bad and we should have been blown away by graphics: I won't buy it, you can keep your ugly remake for now and will see how the game is reviewed...

foggy GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't necessarily have a problem with Angela as I assume it's based off someone.
Maria I do have a problem.
She is a mirror image of Mary with slight differences to make her more youthful
6K1V5p9.png

And that's the point, what she wears isn't sexualised it generally what a lot of younger women would wear during that era minus the Pink Leopard print which I imagine they did to spice her up a bit.
The point of it is she is very close to Mary but different enough to show she ain't his wife.
Her design was done with Mary's in mind and done on purpose.
And they completely missed that.

Edit
Anyone who has played Silent Hill 2 will remember the scene with Mary by the window bay and she turns around or at the end with Maria dress as Mary
That same scene plays when James meets Maria.
In the fog without the details the clothing and everything looks similar until you get close and it's different.
This was the whole point.
If I was to change it I would lose the Leather Jacket and bring back the red cardigan so it would at least aline better with Mary

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I don't like the design but its just for like 5 minutes, the character has a whole of 3 cutscenes in the game, its not like she is a main character.
Also imo Maria is the one people should've complained about, she should have been way way better, the way they designed her makes her look like your regular Walmart customer.

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User

If I want normal people in my games I'll go outside.

Its not even about model looking “too realistic” it just looks like a badly made model with poor expression.

For Monster Hunter Wild Capcom making character models more “realistic“but still managed make them looking waaaaaaaay better.

JbxLI4f.gif
I wouldn’t call this realistic. it’s a 17 year old’s face with a woman’s body.

The Silent Hill girl tho the graphics are PS3 level. But yes she’s not some model either. So double whammy.

I wonder how all these freaks would have reacted to the Alien movies releasing today. They need victoria secret models doing all these utilitarian things.
Sigourney-Weaver-Young-1.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can't really fix her, she does actually look like the actress who looks to be South Asian or half by the looks of it.
This is the reason I didn't say anything because I knew she is probably based on a real person and probably does look like her too.

Last edited:

Shakka43

They should've made her body a bit chubbier to fit better with that face type. Either go all in or don't, right now the character design looks half-assed or like something that was edited after another model was already done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom