• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

Whoa WHAT @ Code Geass ep 21

Holy shit what was that? The first half was "Okay, that was bad but nowhere near epic trainwreck" but the second half was like WTF?

In a bizzare turn of events, I watched Gintama 75 right before I watched Geass 21 and I laughed more at Geass. :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
2zdq8ue.jpg

So was Suzaku just waiting in the ceiling the whole time like fucking Spider-Man? :lol :lol

NeonZ

Dead said:
So was Suzaku just waiting in the ceiling the whole time like fucking Spider-Man? :lol :lol

Suzaku's kicks apparently are stronger than steel, so, why not?:D

What happened to Macross F? It started pretty good, was really into it but now I can't even bother to watch it anymore. What a trainwreck.

jman2050 said:
Seriously, the fanbase isn't even that bad. Once you've gone through the Lucky Star Defense Force and its ilk, Code Geass defenders look pretty tame. And it's not like their fandom is without some merit. This could be the greatest most spectacular trainwreck ever broadcast on TV. And I'm gonna love every second of it :lol
Maybe but when you have people saying stuff like.
Wow, regicide with flare. This epsiode was very Eva-ish. I was waiting for Lelouch to make an AT field. Still I loved the execution of the episode I wondered what deal Schneizel made wtih Lelouch after he emerged from the elevator. I'm also surprised Kallen wasn't able to hook up with Lelouch in a month. I guess it's official, Nunally is gone.

I wonder what is honestly up with the North American anime community.

Geass is worth watching as its like a Michal Bay's Transformers. Enjoyable but at the same time totally stupid. If you think about it to much or go in with the wrong attitude you won't like it. Yet strangely anime forums are filled with plot anylzation of Geass.

X26

Banned
Frontier is garbage. I started watching because I expected, you know, macross, but really there's no smilarities to the past series outside some terminology and the mechs. The creators basically just copied modern gundam series (which are also terrible) to make the show more marketable or some shit I guess, that and they have no creativity whatsoever.

Defuser

Rahxephon91 said:
http://nitori.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ranka1.jpg

If you ask me.
I kinda suspected that,she goes from being average to downright brain damage.

Anyway,for those who care Minami-ke got green-lited for a third season.Let's just hope it's the studio(gallop?) that did the first season. I absolutely refused to watch the second season because of the art.

Defuser said:
I kinda suspected that,she goes from being average to downright brain damage.

Anyway,for those who care Minami-ke got green-lited for a third season.Let's just hope it's the studio(gallop?) that did the first season. I absolutely refused to watch the second season because of the art.
I couldn't watch the second season of Gunslinger Girl because of the same reason.

It was handled by a different studio and looked like shit.

X26 said:
Frontier is garbage. I started watching because I expected, you know, macross, but really there's no smilarities to the past series outside some terminology and the mechs. The creators basically just copied modern gundam series (which are also terrible) to make the show more marketable or some shit I guess, that and they have no creativity whatsoever.

I was actually enjoying it, but then I got it 14 or 15 and now I am losing interest. It seems so convoluted now.

On the other hand, Itazara na kiss got better.

zurra

Rahxephon91 said:
Geass is worth watching as its like a Michal Bay's Transformers. Enjoyable but at the same time totally stupid. If you think about it to much or go in with the wrong attitude you won't like it. Yet strangely anime forums are filled with plot anylzation of Geass.
Those people aren't quite as annoying as the :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol GEASS WHAT A TRAINWRECK!!!!!11 bandwagon. At least they're discussing something they enjoy with fellow fans instead of watching it because it's "bad" and laughing over in the corner with all the cool kids with their superior opinions.

rykomatsu

jman2050 said:
Seriously, the fanbase isn't even that bad. Once you've gone through the Lucky Star Defense Force and its ilk, Code Geass defenders look pretty tame.

The Haruhi Defense Force is pretty bad too...

rykomatsu

jman2050 said:
At least Haruhi is, you know, good. Though even with that fact in mind they're pretty bad as well.

Haruhi was garbage, imho...only good thing out of that was Kyon's voice acting...

vareon

zurra said:
Those people aren't quite as annoying as the :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol GEASS WHAT A TRAINWRECK!!!!!11 bandwagon. At least they're discussing something they enjoy with fellow fans instead of watching it because it's "bad" and laughing over in the corner with all the cool kids with their superior opinions.

I want to love CG, but the plot in the latest episode has gone batshit insane I don't even know what to discuss anymore. It was way beyond my lowest expectation.

P.S. I think Haruhi was good, though I don't know what was GAF's opinion.

Haruhi is awesome.

I guess all fanbases are annoying. Except for the Five Star Stories people. Those guys are nice as hell. Well maybe thats just the Gears Online and MAHQ community. Actually mech/giant robot fans are pretty cool people most of the time.

zoku88

Rahxephon91 said:
Anime fans are not cool.
Untrue, I'm the epitome of cool..... >.>
bigmit3737 said:
I was actually enjoying it, but then I got it 14 or 15 and now I am losing interest. It seems so convoluted now.

On the other hand, Itazara na kiss got better.
Macross F is my biggest dissappointment in a while.

It starts out pretty good but then it gets worse and worse and worse.. :(

Hunter D

I'm praying that Gundam continues off from where it left off quality wise. If not this will be like 8 years since the last great mecha show.

Shouta

Caught up with Macross Frontier and crikey, I'm glad I didn't get the chance to go further than episode 10. The show is just so damn disappointing overall. I like a lot of individual sequences and scenes in the show but man, it's just terrible overall. Then there's Ranka, ARRRRRRRGH!

zoku88

Looks like Aniplex is starting to go after people in the US now?

I got an email from my campus today. Apparently Aniplex contacted a certain ISP to start protecting their rights (I got caught for two episodes of Birdy and have to delete them before I had a chance to watch them T_T)

BayTSP, Inc. ("BayTSP") swears under penalty of perjury that Aniplex has authorized BayTSP to act as its non-exclusive agent for copyright infringement notification. BayTSP's search of the protocol listed below has detected infringements of Aniplex's copyright interests on your IP addresses as detailed in the attached report.

At least I'm not getting sued, tho. Is this happening in anywhere else, or is it just Boston?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
zoku88 said:
Looks like Aniplex is starting to go after people in the US now?

I got an email from my campus today. Apparently Aniplex contacted a certain ISP to start protecting their rights (I got caught for two episodes of Birdy and have to delete them before I had a chance to watch them T_T)

At least I'm not getting sued, tho. Is this happening in anywhere else, or is it just Boston?

o_O Scary stuff, I've never been notified about infringement personally but then again I don't watch Birdy so who knows.

zoku88

Pankaks said:
o_O Scary stuff, I've never been notified about infringement personally but then again I don't watch Birdy so who knows.
it looks like its just Aniplex and baytsp. News broke two weeks before I came back to campus, so I didn't notice. (didn't even know we used baytsp.)

Oh well, nothing bad happens on the first notice anyway.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rahxephon91 said:
Haruhi is awesome.

I guess all fanbases are annoying. Except for the Five Star Stories people. Those guys are nice as hell. Well maybe thats just the Gears Online and MAHQ community. Actually mech/giant robot fans are pretty cool people most of the time.

As a member of the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Defence Force, I have to agree. :/

Hunter D said:
I'm praying that Gundam continues off from where it left off quality wise. If not this will be like 8 years since the last great mecha show.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Watch it.

Point proved!

zoku88

Regulus Tera said:
As a member of the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Defence Force, I have to agree. :/

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Watch it.

Point proved!
Well, sometimes mecha is used as a separate thing from super robots, so that's maybe what he meant.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I thought Haruhi was fine... I enjoyed it for what it was...

Macross F is kinda eh... but I like the music and it keeps me watchin... I'm a sucker for romance.

GUNDAM 00!

I AM GUNDAM

NOW

Linkzg said:
Hot damn! Chiko 15 has crazy tons of lesbian undertones.

...go on.

Anyway, this season was so lame, I've totally lost interest in the animation medium. I've kept sorta up for Itazura na Kiss, but that show freaks me out... it feels like it's 20 years old, even though it's new. (for obvious reasons)

zoku88

I should get to Gundam 00 sometime. I ditched it thinking that it would be another Gundam W/ SEED kinda deal.

vas_a_morir said:
...go on.

Basically, 3 out of the 4 female characters are probably lesbians. The entire episode was full sexual humor.

And Macross F is just terrible now. It isn't enjoyable bad like Geass seems to be or whatever, it is just really boring and terrible in every way.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dascu said:
What on earth happened to Chiko. :lol

It became a bishoujo series. :lol

I guess this is the Kojima-land duckroll was talking about before? I can kinda see where is he coming from. Broom-fu ftw!

Neo C.

Linkzg said:
Hot damn! Chiko 15 has crazy tons of lesbian undertones.
It's the funniest episode. :D

Edit:
Basically, 3 out of the 4 female characters are probably lesbians. The entire episode was full sexual humor.
The series already starts with a heavy Electra complex, so the sexual undertone isn't surprising.

Shirokun

I'm a huge fan of the original UC Gundam and I keep hearing everybody constantly sing the praises of Gundam 00. While I liked the political setup, I watched about 9 episodes and felt that very little was actually happening, and that the main characters were incredibly shallow. The actual main character seemed like your typical - I've had a traumatic childhood so I'm going to act incredibly wreckless while not showing any hint of emotion - type, which doesn't make for such a great character IMO. My favorite characters were actually the secondary characters and even they weren't interesting enough to keep me watching. It basically seemed like an updated version of Gundam Wing - which I didn't care much for either - minus the interesting villains.

Now, since everyone here seems to gush about this show, tell me, should I give it another chance? Does it actually get significantly better after the point that I stopped at, or is it more of the same?

Sell me on Gundam 00, NEOGAF!

S. L.

Shirokun said:
Now, since everyone here seems to gush about this show, tell me, should I give it another chance? Does it actually get significantly better after the point that I stopped at, or is it more of the same?

it's nothing like UC and the later eps get even more Wing'ish.

Lain

Regulus Tera said:
It became a bishoujo series. :lol

I guess this is the Kojima-land duckroll was talking about before? I can kinda see where is he coming from. Broom-fu ftw!

I thought Kojima-land was entered with the human tank episode?!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Shirokun said:
I'm a huge fan of the original UC Gundam and I keep hearing everybody constantly sing the praises of Gundam 00. While I liked the political setup, I watched about 9 episodes and felt that very little was actually happening, and that the main characters were incredibly shallow. The actual main character seemed like your typical - I've had a traumatic childhood so I'm going to act incredibly wreckless while not showing any hint of emotion - type, which doesn't make for such a great character IMO. My favorite characters were actually the secondary characters and even they weren't interesting enough to keep me watching. It basically seemed like an updated version of Gundam Wing - which I didn't care much for either - minus the interesting villains.

Gundam 00 is crap for the first half. As you said...nothing really happens. It kicks it up a notch quite a bit mid way through. Some of the episodes before that are Code Geass bad also. Yea, quite a bit of difference between the first half and the 2nd. Which is why I would say...if you can stomach the first half. You should be happy with the 2nd.

Best I can give ya:lol

v1cious

Banned
Wolfwood0 said:
1220241114632yy0.jpg

Cant bring myself to dislike Code Geass:lol

as someone who hated the first season, i have to say R2 is fucking awesome. i mean it started out slow, but after 12, the show got really really good. it looks like Code Geass is probably gonna end after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom