• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
I heard a rumor about an iPad Pro with Mac OS some time ago, is that just bullshit or are there some hints that it could actually happen?

Probably bullshit in regards to the OS, but there is an iPad Pro coming. It won't be revealed until next year though.

Wallach

Whether I go iPad mini 3 or iPad Air 2 is down to whether they do internals parity again. If they do I'm going from my Air to a mini 3.

jts

...hate me...
It is available for all browsers after the stream, and it still has the same marketing effect.

The people that watch the streams live are fans of tech nerds. It costs too much to provide the server capacity to serve a 1-2 hour event that likely won't sway any purchases compared to a recorded video available right after the event.
But tech nerds are a good market to aim at, rather than piss off :p Even if they are not that many (which I wouldn't say so after all the server load problems they cause every live keynote, and that's just mainly Apple users), they are usually loud and preachy, so the marketing effects trickle down to the plebs.

I don't think they need to show off their backbone anymore - especially after having failed to do a good job at it a good number of times. Just outsource the stream, or allow 3rd parties to plug-in. Hell, sell the rights for it, someone would pay for sure.

Mr Swine

Banned
So will the iPad mini 3 have the same specs like the iPad air 2? Or will this once again be a iPad mini = iPad 2 kind of deal?

Number45

Rumors have the retina upgrade being for the 27 only atm with the 21 staying at 1080p.
Yeah so I've seen. I'm actually not terribly fussed about going above 1080p personally, so a spec bump or reduction in the cost might be enough to tip the scales.

I just don't think I can live with a 27" screen at monitor viewing distances.

numble

But tech nerds are a good market to aim at, rather than piss off :p Even if they are not that many (which I wouldn't say so after all the server load problems they cause every live keynote, and that's just mainly Apple users), they are usually loud and preachy, so the marketing effects trickle down to the plebs.

I don't think they need to show off their backbone anymore - especially after having failed to do a good job at it a good number of times. Just outsource the stream, or allow 3rd parties to plug-in. Hell, sell the rights for it, someone would pay for sure.

A tech nerd knows how to get around the limitation.

If they are going to preach to "plebs" because they got pissed off at not being able to livestream in the middle of the day, I doubt it has had any effect on Apple's sales.

I don't think they should spend so much time worrying about a 2 hour livestream. It's available after the event, most people that do watch it watch it after the event anyway.

Number45

Yup, total failure trying to stream to Apple TV last time (first time I've bothered to try). Hopefully it goes better this evening.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah so I've seen. I'm actually not terribly fussed about going above 1080p personally, so a spec bump or reduction in the cost might be enough to tip the scales.

I just don't think I can live with a 27" screen at monitor viewing distances.

Honestly I'm still nervous about the supposed retina bump on the iMac. I'm not against resolution increases as long as the power is there, but I need to know what hardware is there, especially as iMacs usually go mobile/low power parts. I would've been very happy with 1440p, 4.0GHz and a 980M. Could do everything well natively.

I love 24/27", but I sit back and use it for watching TV shows too. My eyesight is wrecked from doing it though!

Wallach

So I haven't been paying attention to the last couple iPad releases (I got my Air from someone here, and its my first iPad) - is there a chance these will go on sale today, or is it more likely to be a few weeks?

Number45

I love 24/27", but I sit back and use it for watching TV shows too. My eyesight is wrecked from doing it though!
Yeah, it'll basically be a PC. Maybe some light gaming (WoW/D3) and YouTube - it'll be in the same room as an Apple TV connected to a 40" LCD. Sitting around 2ft away, I think 27" will be too much for my eyes!

jts

...hate me...
So will the iPad mini 3 have the same specs like the iPad air 2? Or will this once again be a iPad mini = iPad 2 kind of deal?
I think it's very unlikely that they keep the A7 and just add Touch ID. Never saw a new iPad not getting SoC improvements. 10% chance.

However, I wouldn't say it's impossible that Apple gives the mini the A8 and the big iPad gets an A8x. I actually think there's a good chance that can happen. 35% chance.

Less likely of all, Apple could just upgrade the mini's A7 to a tailored A7x. 5% chance.

4th case scenario, keep hardware parity (save for clock speeds). 50% chance.

Source: my ass.

Servbot24

Banned
Why? Cook has already done early announcements with no/vaguely estimated release dates for Mac Pro, iMac, iPad Mini and the Watch.

Cause that's when they've decided to?

Hm, ok. Depending on the price, Mac OS could've been interesting for my music production needs.

Mac OS with good pressure sensitive stylus control would be instabuy for me. Not gonna happen though.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm betting that the iPad Mini gets a bump to A8 and the Air gets the A8X. My rationale is that they need to differentiate the two more to push people to get the higher end iPad (with better margins). Also I think that split screen multitasking will be an Air exclusive like the landscape view on the Plus (mini being too small to handle this, touch targets would be minuscule), so it would make sense to give it a better SOC and more ram.

Just a hunch.

Nero3000

Ready for this - will probably upgrade my iPad 2 later this year.

LM5ZdyM.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm betting that the iPad Mini gets a bump to A8 and the Air gets the A8X. My rationale is that they need to differentiate the two more to push people to get the higher end iPad (with better margins). Also I think that split screen multitasking will be an Air exclusive like the landscape view on the Plus (mini being too small to handle this, touch targets would be minuscule), so it would make sense to give it a better SOC and more ram.

Just a hunch.

Wouldn't they just save split screen multitasking for the Pro in a few months if that was the rationale? Don't think the Air really needs any extra selling points as it is but a 13 inch iPad probably would.

MercuryLS

Banned
Wouldn't they just save split screen multitasking for the Pro in a few months if that was the rationale? Don't think the Air really needs any extra selling points as it is but a 13 inch iPad probably would.

I think the iPad Air needs it too, the mini is so small and light that they need to differentiate the air with some exclusive features and/or performance to have it stand out. I imagine the pro will be very similar to the air with a bigger screen.

Mogwai

If Apple doesn't upgrade the Air 2 with splitscreen I will lay down into fetal position and cry.

Afterwards I'll buy a Galaxy Tab S.

Mr Swine

Banned
I think the iPad Air needs it too, the mini is so small and light that they need to differentiate the air with some exclusive features and/or performance to have it stand out. I imagine the pro will be very similar to the air with a bigger screen.

Can't Apple just include a offscreen support for youtube and twitch so you can move it wherever you want to on the screen instead of split screen shenanigans?

Nero3000

There has been a lot of standalone TV streaming subscription things announced recently (HBO, CBS). I wonder if any of this is tied to a new Apple TV.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do we think they might pre-announce the ipad pro for release later?

I doubt I could afford one, but as I pretty much only use my air at home, the increased size would be tempting for browsing and video viewing

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can't Apple just include a offscreen support for youtube and twitch so you can move it wherever you want to on the screen instead of split screen shenanigans?

twitch on ipad/iphone already supports chromecast to put the stream on the TV while the comments are on the phone/tablet

jts

...hate me...

I believe that the cat is now out of the bag with the iPhone 6 and 6+. Developers target 3 different screen sizes with the same aspect ratio, and were given tools to have resolution abstraction, and that should carry on to iPad development, thus removing the iPad Air from the iPad zoomed in / for elderly status and make it relevant again.

I also believe that they should increase the iPad Air resolution to keep the PPI up to snuff with the rest of the Apple family.

And who knows, maybe they will.

Hence the A8x.

Hence the @3x

HYPE

Fuchsdh

Question is, will the new OSX flow down my 3 year old imac the same way IOS8 did with my 4s?

99% chance it won't. People have tested OS X public betas and haven't reported significant slowdowns. And a 3-year old PC is far more capable than a 3-year old iPhone. The tech is just advancing much more rapidly on mobile.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
99% chance it won't. People have tested OS X public betas and haven't reported significant slowdowns. And a 3-year old PC is far more capable than a 3-year old iPhone. The tech is just advancing much more rapidly on mobile.

I hope thats true. Love new OS day :D

jts

...hate me...
Would love a new Mac Mini - the 2012 model is kind of a piece of shit, imo.
Intel fucked up the natural progression of computer hardware since 2009/2010, especially when it comes to Macs :/

A 2012 Mac with an integrated GPU by Nvidia would have been a nice piece of kit.

Zapages

I own the 2012 Mac Mini, it is awesome for browsing the web/streaming stuff and doing simple work on it... But that is about it.

Fuchsdh

I own the 2012 Mac Mini, it is awesome for browsing the web/streaming stuff and doing simple work on it... But that is about it.

I've got a 2011 Mac mini with an SSD and 16GB of RAM. Even with just a 6630M the thing is remarkably capable--I use it to offload transcoding tasks, run Plex, and multi-machine rendering out of After Effects.

Pachimari

We don't expect a new Apple TV today do we?

Or is it "just" iPads and Macs?

Might look into an iPad Air 2 if it have a laminated screen.

We don't expect a new Apple TV today do we?

Or is it "just" iPads and Macs?

Might look into an iPad Air 2 if it have a laminated screen.

No, no Apple TV.

I'm expecting:

- iOS 8.1, Apple Pay details + release date (probably today)
- Yosemite demo, release today
- new iMacs, maybe mac mini but that might just be something that pops up on the store.
- new iTunes, new iWork, maybe new FCP + iMovie
- maybe something around iCloud (photos on iCloud.com)
- new iPads

they'll probably take the opportunity to hype apple watch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom