• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Will definitely pick up that iPad Air 2, finally I can retire my 4th generation iPad, made the mistake of buying a 16G version, will bite the bullet and get that 64 this time

Is it that much of an upgrade? I am to decide whether it is worth the jump from the 3, which still works quite well although I'd probably jump in if the leap is significant.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Black or white? Which will really make the most of that laminated screen?

If I preorder for store pickup, I can probably change my mind when I see them?

Is it that much of an upgrade? I am to decide whether it is worth the jump from the 3, which still works quite well although I'd probably jump in if the leap is significant.

I thought the air 1 was a big jmo from the ipad 3. Ipad 3 got fat to power the retina screen and was relatively underpowered. IPad Air 1 or 2 will be a great upgrade for you

I kind of wish apple had restricted the previous model air to 16GB, so it wouldn't fuck with the resale value of my air 1. Oh well

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What?

It makes zero difference

Web pages and books etc have a primarily white background. That should blend nicely with the white bezel. But the combination of a clearly visible black edge around the screen and the screen being sunk behind the glass spoils that. With a black bezel at least that edge would be effectively hidden

Web pages and books etc have a primarily white background. That should blend nicely with the white bezel. But the combination of a clearly visible black edge around the screen and the screen being sunk behind the glass spoils that. With a black bezel at least that edge would be effectively hidden

It's the same discussion of having a black or white iPhone, some care or notice the black other don't. I think a white iPad or iPhone just looks better then black as black is just boring

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Black or white? Which will really make the most of that laminated screen?

If I preorder for store pickup, I can probably change my mind when I see them?

I thought the air 1 was a big jmo from the ipad 3. Ipad 3 got fat to power the retina screen and was relatively underpowered. IPad Air 1 or 2 will be a great upgrade for you

I kind of wish apple had restricted the previous model air to 16GB, so it wouldn't fuck with the resale value of my air 1. Oh well
OK that's probably good enough for me. :D

ReAxion

I think I'm gonna be one of the idiots getting TouchID for $100.

I need 64GB and cellular. I like TouchID a lot, as well as the mini form factor more than the big one. Maybe I gotta hold an Air 2 to see for sure. This is hard.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm kinda intrigued by the new Mac Mini.....does anyone know if it supports two monitors, and what I would use to connect them?
The mini will support two thunderbolt or display port displays. It's on the official Mac mini page on Apples site.

They have two thunderbolt and an HDMI port. The GPU will support two displays up to 1440p I believe.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How exactly? I mean, without new deals or anything from cable companies, what could a new Apple TV do that the current one can't do without just software?
That's exactly what is missing. Every single other STB on the market, all of which were pretty much released after the AppleTV, has an App Store with a lot of apps you can't get on the AppleTV. An ATV with an App Store would print money. Literally*.

*Figuratively

ReAxion

I think they'll get there eventually. Just, if you rank their priorities, even though it's clearly elevated from hobby status, Apple TV is down a few pegs. Would be a great holiday gift, tho.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like AppleTV is poised to become a conceptual place within the UI across all platforms as opposed to an encapsulated product. We have Airplay, Handoff is on the Horizon, all of our media is truly finalizing it's transition to the cloud and now we have all have a surplus of screens in every size all hooked up to the same thing. I'm sure at somepoint there will be a fancy new device called the AppleTV but I expect it to be wholly complimentary to an AppleTV experience available anywhere.

A continuous client media experience like that is probably further off than I want to believe but I have to say this "settop box with Apps" concept is becoming increasingly dated IMO. We have already amassed the constellation of screens and devices, now we just need the seams filled in.

Red

That's exactly what is missing. Every single other STB on the market, all of which were pretty much released after the AppleTV, has an App Store with a lot of apps you can't get on the AppleTV. An ATV with an App Store would print money. Literally*.

*Figuratively
We know they are working on something. It must not be up to par if it has not yet been announced.
I've been waiting for a Retina iMac FOR FUCKING AGES. And now it's finally here. Can't wait to get this beast.

I'm waiting on benchmarks. If it has any performance issues due to the display I will wait for the next revision. I went down the path of the iPad 3 and will not make the same mistake again.

asdad123

I think I'm gonna be one of the idiots getting TouchID for $100.

I need 64GB and cellular. I like TouchID a lot, as well as the mini form factor more than the big one. Maybe I gotta hold an Air 2 to see for sure. This is hard.

iPad Mini 2 64gb with LTE is only $449 on the apple refurb store. You'd effectively be paying an extra $170 for a fingerprint sensor.

This will be the first iPad since iPad 2 that I haven't purchased. Liking the MacBook Air and iPhone 6 combo but this still feels a strange not jumping in.

RevoDS

I'm all over the iPad Air 1 for $399. $500 is a little too much for me and previous cheaper devices weren't all that good. But the iPad Air is an amazing device already.

Despite a decent update with the iPad Air 2, I think the best value here is the first Air unless you care a lot about graphics (I don't)

coopolon

I'm all over the iPad Air 1 for $399. $500 is a little too much for me and previous cheaper devices weren't all that good. But the iPad Air is an amazing device already.

Despite a decent update with the iPad Air 2, I think the best value here is the first Air unless you care a lot about graphics (I don't)

I am very tempted by the refurbished ipad air 1 for $360. I really love touchid on my iphone 6 though, but I have a hard time imaging it's worth $140. Especially on ipad it's less important...but...

mrkgoo

I like the updates on the air 2. Thinner, better display, more power.

I'm still on the iPad 1 so should be a nice bump.

I'm keeping mine for at least another year. It works perfectly, and I don't wanna lose my jailbreak.

That's what I should do, although I'm not jailbroken. We'll see if I can stay strong or if I end up caving. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Air 1, just sometimes I seem to give into buying the latest thing.

PFD

That's what I should do, although I'm not jailbroken. We'll see if I can stay strong or if I end up caving. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Air 1, just sometimes I seem to give into buying the latest thing.

I used to be that way. I had the original, then the fat 3rd gen, then the 4th gen a few months later, then the 128gb Air.

The air gap and screen reflectivity of the Air bother me a little, but everything else about the device works great, and I don't wanna lose the jailbreak. Besides, I really need to upgrade my core2quad PC. The iPad can wait

Thinking of picking up a Mac mini for $679(that small education discount lol) which seems like it's basically a mac book pro retina 13 inch. I basically want it only for access to Xcode and maybe do some android programming on it too. At the same time, I think I can probably wait and see if stores will sell the i7 quad cores for less than $789, the current price at bestbuy. Probably will just pick up the new mini later down the road.

Going to have to call my bank to let the amount go through tomorrow, but really tempted to pick up that retina iMac due to my eyesight.

My MBPr has done wonders for reducing eye fatigue.

Very underwhelmed.

Apple TV is a missed opprotunity. As an iPad Air owner, the new iPad Air does nothing for me really. The 16gb entry size is a joke too (same thing can be said for iPhone).

I know a retina Macbook Air wasn't going to happen but that's all I want at this point.

adroit

I'm going to sleep on it for awhile but I think that iMac 5K is going to be my first Mac. I will not be using it for any gaming so the GPU is not an issue for me. I'll be using it for software development (not gaming related).

Because I try to use computers forever (my current computer is almost seven years old) I'll probably splurge and get:
  • 4 GHz i7
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 512 GB flash storage (SSD)
  • AMD R9 M295X

I probably don't need the M295X but I don't want to regret not getting it later in case I use some non-gaming software that needs some GPU muscle to perform well. I just hope the damn thing doesn't overheat and destroy itself or cause a discoloration of the display from behind (something I've read has allegedly happened on past iMac models). I hope those sorts of horrible problems have been addressed by Apple.

numble

Does anyone know or predict how well performance would be if I plug in a PC laptop with Intel HD Graphics 4000 into the Retina iMac under target display mode?

I'm going to sleep on it for awhile but I think that iMac 5K is going to be my first Mac. I will not be using it for any gaming so the GPU is not an issue for me. I'll be using it for software development (not gaming related).

Because I try to use computers forever (my current computer is almost seven years old) I'll probably splurge and get:
  • 4 GHz i7
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 512 GB flash storage (SSD)
  • AMD R9 M295X

I probably don't need the M295X but I don't want to regret not getting it later in case I use some non-gaming software that needs some GPU muscle to perform well. I just hope the damn thing doesn't overheat and destroy itself or cause a discoloration of the display from behind (something I've read has allegedly happened on past iMac models). I hope those sorts of horrible problems have been addressed by Apple.

I'd suggest getting the RAM third-party if you want to save a little bit, I've done it for my iMac in the past and it's worked great.

DarkJC

Does anyone know or predict how well performance would be if I plug in a PC laptop with Intel HD Graphics 4000 into the Retina iMac under target display mode?

Supposedly the retina iMac does not support being used as a display like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom