• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Special Event - 10.16.14 - "It's been way too long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ipad-glare-compare.jpg

I remember a lot of iPad 2 reviews suggesting that it was a solid yet relatively small upgrade. In the end, the hardware was such a leap over its predecessor that it lasted a very long time - I could see this having a similar place in the iPad Air line-up. I think this one will be good enough to handle software updates for some time; if split-screen multi-tasking does arrive, I suspect this will eventually come to handle it in some form or other (albeit after the mooted 'iPad Pro').

Quasar

Air2 arrived.

Initial impressions from opening (compared to an ipad3).

1. Slippery
2. Don't like the thinner side bezels. I'd put my thumbs there to hold the thing.
3. No orientation lock makes me sad.
4. The screen seems quite a bit better.
5. The last screen is almost full of rubbishwear I can't get rid of. Apple really needs to have an app drawer.

Air2 arrived.

1. Slippery
2. Don't like the thinner side bezels. I'd put my thumbs there to hold the thing.
5. The last screen is almost full of rubbishwear I can't get rid of. Apple really needs to have an app drawer.

Orientation lock is in Control Centre, or it will be if you set it as such in the options.

leng jai

Air2 arrived.

1. Slippery

Pretty funny if the reduced depth becomes a downgrade for some people.

mid83

When can I expect to find the Air 2 in stores? Sounds like a lot of preorders are set to arrive today based on what I've read on other sites.

toohectic

Pretty funny if the reduced depth becomes a downgrade for some people.

The poster was talking about the front bezels that got slimmer when the original Air was released, not the overall thickness of the device. The thinner body seems to be universally praised.

Quasar

The poster was talking about the front bezels that got slimmer when the original Air was released, not the overall thickness of the device. The thinner body seems to be universally praised.

Yeah. As for the thinness, well I probably would be happier with slightly thicker with more battery life device. And
I think compared to the thicker ipad3 it's a bit harder to pick up from a flat table as there is less of a tapered edge to grab onto.

Nero3000

I remember a lot of iPad 2 reviews suggesting that it was a solid yet relatively small upgrade. In the end, the hardware was such a leap over its predecessor that it lasted a very long time - I could see this having a similar place in the iPad Air line-up. I think this one will be good enough to handle software updates for some time; if split-screen multi-tasking does arrive, I suspect this will eventually come to handle it in some form or other (albeit after the mooted 'iPad Pro').

I wouldn't call the iPad 2 has lasted a long time.

Should never have got the ios7 upgrade. Runs like shit since then.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I wouldn't call the iPad 2 has lasted a long time.

Should never have got the ios7 upgrade. Ruins like suit since then.

I'm on my iPad 2 now (at least until my air 2 comes today) and I think it's still fairly great, good enough that I can give it to my wife without feeling guilty. Newer games take a bit of a crap on it, but it's still much more usable than something like iPhone 4 which is now unbearably chuggy.

Air2 arrived.

1. Slippery

You can rest your fingers on the screen, the OS will ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKMCE6oMLj4

DOWN

Banned
Since there is no public release date and a lot of pre-orders have already been delivered today, any chance Best Buy will give it to me before Friday since I've paid?

Assuming they have it in the back, I would love to spend Thursday with it. Fat chance since their site said release day is Friday.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Air 2 has just arrived. It's beautiful. It's tiny, it feels like a mini compared the the iPad 2. The non reflective screen is apparent right away and my old iPad already looks like blurry shit in comparison. Happy happy. But I'm not sure about this iOS 8 yet, I don't like the new autocorrect.

Now to test some music apps to see what the ram is like!

Ask me anything and I'll try to answer.

Wallach

Air 2 has just arrived. It's beautiful. It's tiny, it feels like a mini compared the the iPad 2. The non reflective screen is apparent right away and my old iPad already looks like blurry shit in comparison. Happy happy. But I'm not sure about this iOS 8 yet, I don't like the new autocorrect.

Now to test some music apps to see what the ram is like!

Ask me anything and I'll try to answer.

A few folks have said the screen's white balance is noticeably colder than the Air and some of the older iPads. Do you notice that?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A few folks have said the screen's white balance is noticeably colder than the Air and some of the older iPads. Do you notice that?

I'd say it's probably about the same, but tbh looking at the same images on both devices is just showing me how awesome the retina screen is, I may not be able to be impartial on that that. But nothing leaps out at me immediately as being wrong or different.

Really wish I had the Smart Cover already though, damn thing is slidey on my iPad pillow (tm).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Audio through the speaker is noticeably crappier - maybe it's to do with how light the device is, but the whole unit throbs with the bass and it comes out fairly muffled. Also on the iPad 2 the speaker was placed so that when you had your hand around it you'd get a nice volume boost but that's not the case here, or at least it's not so pronounced.

Also getting some weirdness with safari but I'll know more after more use - pinging back to the top of the page on GAF sometimes causes a white windows. The page comes back when you nudge it though.

Faddy

Banned

I think the most notable thing for me is that the antireflection coating gives the screen a purple tint in comparison with the old model. You see the same thing on professional lenses but it is a weird and frankly annoying thing to see on a high end display

I just got mine.

The purple hue is negligible in normal iPad usage; certainly preferable to having the screen obscured by another light source. I may be imagining this, but the screen feels different to the touch, something I assume is a result of the coating.

Super thin & light, things which are immediately noticeable even when held up to a first-gen Air.

No Safari weirdness here so far. Faster wifi is apparent. I've currently got eight tabs open and there's no reloading as I flick between them.

Also, this is probably old news but Control Centre has mute and lock to compensate for the lack of a switch. I probably wasn't paying enough attention to the unveiling, but I'm glad it's not necessary to make a choice as to which is on display.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No Safari weirdness here so far. Faster wifi is apparent. I've currently got eight tabs open and there's no reloading as I flick between them.

how about if you enter data in one of them? Eg type a reply to this thread, then go to a few other tabs and come back - is the text still there?

I just left a GAF reply box open, it didn't reload. I did have my first reload in the process (CNET) but I now have ten tabs open and that's the only one that has reloaded. I went through all the rest and the text survived.

PSYGN

Bought the iPad Air 2 because 2GB was confirmed and jailbreak so I can use my Dock app, multi window, and Activator gestures :D

mid83

Ugh any chance I can grab one at retail Thursday? I wanted to wait to confirm that it has 2 gb of ram before buying it so I didn't preorder. I work Friday night-Sunday night so no Friday pickup for me (if it's in stores then). I guess Thursday is out of the question? Yes I know, first world problems, but I'd love to play around with it tomorrow before I work all weekend.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ugh any chance I can grab one at retail Thursday? I wanted to wait to confirm that it has 2 gb of ram before buying it so I didn't preorder. I work Friday night-Sunday night so no Friday pickup for me (if it's in stores then). I guess Thursday is out of the question? Yes I know, first world problems, but I'd love to play around with it tomorrow before I work all weekend.

maybe. I've had emails from both John Lewis and Stormfront stores in the UK saying they have the Air 2 in stock. Probably mail order but their stores will probably have them tomorrow or Friday

John Lewis offer collect in store next day after 2PM (free) or next day delivery (£6.95) but they're currently out of stock of everything bar the 16GB wifi.

Edit: they've got one gold 64GB wifi on the website.

Just bought a 10% off best buy coupon so I'm gonna trade my ipad today or tomorrow to get $200 off an iPad 2 x coupon :D

Hyped for Friday , still deciding between 16 gb and 64 gb, im cheap :3

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just bought a 10% off best buy coupon so I'm gonna trade my ipad today or tomorrow to get $200 off an iPad 2 x coupon :D

Hyped for Friday , still deciding between 16 gb and 64 gb, im cheap :3

Get a 64GB. 16 will get painful if you aren't very careful with what you load onto it. And the 65 will have better resale value later on too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Curious, how does Apple preinstall iPad's with 8.1 as it was released just on Monday and the iPad's had to ship from China?

How does it work?

Thanks.

Maybe they've had 8.1 ready for a little while and only rolled it out publically now that the new iPads are releasing? Is definitely weird for the new hardware to have such a new os on it for sure.

We had one Macbook already updated with Yosemite here at work, and I cannot get over how ridiculously bad it looks.

I mean, come on... That must be a joke, isn't it?

Looks like a bad Linux distro desktop skin to me.

I'd never thought I'd ever say this, but I seriously think even Windows 10 looks better than this.

leng jai

We had one Macbook already updated with Yosemite here at work, and I cannot get over how ridiculously bad it looks.

I mean, come on... That must be a joke, isn't it?

Looks like a bad Linux distro desktop skin to me.

I'd never thought I'd ever say this, but I seriously think even Windows 10 looks better than this.

Most people seem to like the new look in Yosemite. Safari and iTunes certainly look far better.

Also I'd like to see how many intensive sites like Verge can be opened at once before refreshing, not just simple text sites like GAF

Just been out for an hour or so and none of these sites had reloaded when I picked up the iPad a minute or two ago: http://abload.de/img/imagetpsgn.jpg

I have more refreshing going on when I had GarageBand open in the background, but after killing that it reverted to previous form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom