• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still certain there will be no phone recall. I predict what others have said, free bumpers/heavily reduced to like £/$1, and iTunes/Apple gift cards.

Hope it doesn't go on too long, I got some heavy squats to attend to!

And at 5am my mum rushed into my room saying the phone was being recalled, so I grabbed my phone, sat on the bog and caught up on events on here and MacRumours...then I got thinking:

Steve Jobs' response was quite possibly the most cold hearted and bastardiddly thing I've heard from a CEO in the open. I think if I didn't hate Windows/Android so much, I wouldn't even bother with someone who responded so callously.

Don't hold it that way...Jheeeez!

LCfiner

Cereal KiIIer said:
I went from 5 bars ANYWHERE to 2/3 bars... Rogers network ain't that good after all :lol (3gs)

ha ha. yeah. almost the same story (3 or 4 bars for me)

Rogers/ Fido must be super pissed at Apple now. pretty funny, in a way.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
SmokyDave said:
Yeah, this is why I found the 'Facetime' thing a bit odd. Videocalling has been around forever and nobody cares. It's just not a practical method of communication. When did '3' introduce it? 2003?
Was it available on Wifi though? The fact I wouldn't have to pay outrageous video calling costs is appealing.
Even though you could do it with a webcam on a computer/laptop the portability is pretty cool.

That said, I will probably play around with it a few times then never use it again :lol

Tobor

Charred Greyface said:
Let's not start this debate up again. Take it to the iPhone 4 thread, c'mon now
WiFi only is useless :p

So how many Naysayers do you think will land in California for the press conference and suddenly discover that they can reproduce the antenna problem on their iPhones?
not gruber
Why are you blaming me? I didn't bring it up.

@Marty, your examples make sense, I'm just dreading a future where people are Facetiming and being obnoxious all over the place.

Wellington said:
I can't wait for this to be over. I'm constantly asked if I have any issues. The answer is NO. I don't even make calls! :(
When I'm asked if I have any problems with my phone, I snap back that I do, it's people asking me about it.

I don't even get why anyone is interested in what my phone can or can't do. It's like the new console wars, except normal people are giving a shit about what others own now.

Tobor

I have a nagging fear that this won't end it. Luckily, idiot normals have the attention span of goldfish, they'll move on to something else regardless of what happens this afternoon.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I don't even get why anyone is interested in what my phone can or can't do.

because they might want to purchase one?

Tobor

CurlySaysX said:
People have always asked how reception is on your phone .
Apple iFans seem awfully iParanoid.
No one has ever asked me about the reception on my iPhone before now. They asked about apps and games and stuff.

catfish said:
They don't. You know in someone's tone whether they give a shit for themselves or if they just heard about it on the news and want to be a dick. We all know that type of person that's just ready to rag on everyone in the office for anything they're interested in once something about it comes up in the news.

CurlySaysX said:
I have never been asked this or seen anyone get asked about this about any phone in my entire life. What a weird thing to discuss with people. The closest I can think of is "oh man, Brad's phone sucks, it's always cutting out, he should just get on Verizon or something."

CurlySaysX said:

badav.bmp

Meier

I have used FaceTime a few times -- it's mostly a novelty, however it has been very beneficial when calling our IT guy in the other office to show him what I'm seeing.

CurlySaysX said:
This is definitely different than anything I've experienced. Everyone asks about the antenna issue when they see my phone.

StuBurns said:
I agree with him until it works flawlessly on 3G.

Who is in your avatar? Lily Allen?
Meh. Wi-fi is everywhere in my city. Practical for me, esp. because members of my immediate family are deaf. Really nice calling them, for once.

It's Natasha Khan (Bat For Lashes) btw

I've always been asked how many bars of reception I get on my phone.
It's the reason why Apple has lied with their bars, so that everyone assumes the reception is so awesome on the iPhone since the bars are always full.

LCfiner

Sometimes I wonder if I should start going into Android threads and just start dicking around.

Cuz the Android guys around here sure have a nice little cottage industry just trolling Apple fans.

Maybe I should mix it up more. could be fun

teiresias

CurlySaysX said:
Exactly. I upgrade fairly often and the first thing people in the office always ask me is how my signal strength is with my new handset.

Despite what the Apple digiratti and fanboys like to spew about how they barely use their phone for calls, guess what, the majority of "idiot normals" still do use their phones, smart or not, for calls.

BTW, Steve thought of those people as "idiot normals" too, which led to his original condescending "don't hold it that way" response that sparked this whole episode.

Keep thinking of people as "idiot normals", it's sure to dispel the Apple-fanboy-as-douchebag stereotype fairly effectively. <= sarcasm

Meier said:
I have used FaceTime a few times -- it's mostly a novelty, however it has been very beneficial when calling our IT guy in the other office to show him what I'm seeing.
This. It's not about seeing your face, it's about broadcasting video of anything to the other person. Incredibly useful in the rare times you'll use it.

teiresias said:
Exactly. I upgrade fairly often and the first thing people in the office always ask me is how my signal strength is with my new handset.

Despite what the Apple digiratti and fanboys like to spew about how they barely use their phone for calls, guess what, the majority of "idiot normals" still do use their phones, smart or not, for calls.

BTW, Steve thought of those people as "idiot normals" too, which led to his original condescending "don't hold it that way" response that sparked this whole episode.

Keep thinking of people as "idiot normals", it's sure to dispel the Apple fanboy as douche bag stereotype fairly effectively. <= sarcasm
Who gives a shit what Tobor called them? We all use similar terms for the normal mainstream people in every discussion about anything on this forum. Why so sensitive?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
catfish said:
My friends that are under contract with Sprint and Verizon don't want an iPhone, they're just attacking the lone chink in the armor.

I'm happy with my phone and when I need it to make calls it hasn't let me down. Like I said tho, I consider it more a music/internet/game device than a phone - that I can talk on it is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. It just bothers me that people who have known me for years and know that I prefer text and email to voice all of a sudden think it's a huge deal-breaker and that I should get an Incredible.

Yeah, but that's always been a question centered around the network, not the phone.

Tobor

LCfiner said:
Sometimes I wonder if I should start going into Android threads and just start dicking around.

Cuz the Android guys around here sure have a nice little cottage industry just trolling Apple fans.

Yeah, up until now I've made it a point not to ruin their threads. Shame they don't have the same decency.

Who gives a shit what Tobor called them? We all use similar terms for the normal mainstream people in every discussion about anything on this forum. Why so sensitive?

He's always butt hurt in these threads for some reason.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
teiresias said:

Not either of those, I just don't like talking on the phone. Nice work making a generalization to try and dispel a generalization tho.

StuBurns

Banned
the_painted_bird said:
Meh. Wi-fi is everywhere in my city. Practical for me, esp. because members of my immediate family are deaf. Really nice calling them, for once.

It's Natasha Khan (Bat For Lashes) btw
I can understand that, and I certainly see the benefit of it, and wifi would be fine if you knew every other iPhone 4 user was on wifi at all times, right now I'm in bed at home, I have wifi, I have my iPhone next to me, but my wifi is off because I don't need it, and this is when I'm at home, let alone walking around town leeching on Starbucks. It just doesn't seem that useful because although all iPhones have wifi, they're not all on, let alone connected to a network.

Saying that, I've not made a single facecall, so maybe it'll be 'magical' when I do and I'll change my mind.

Ollie Pooch

CurlySaysX said:
God, if i have to read the terms 'iCult' 'iFan' or any other number of childish 'system wars' style insults on a message board...

So many users of the Android boards I've visited seeking reviews/impressions of phones seem to enjoy these overly nerdy "LOLOLOL, enjoy your locked in jesus phone with no reception or flash!!" style digs. Really turns me off - i dunno if they love their phones cos they're not Apple, or cos they're awesome.

SimleuqiR

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This. It's not about seeing your face, it's about broadcasting video of anything to the other person. Incredibly useful in the rare times you'll use it.

This! I can think of a few situations that I would have used it.
I personally hope this feature is built into Gtalk on Android in the not too distant future.

teiresias

Wellington said:
Not either of those, I just don't like talking on the phone. Nice work making a generalization to try and dispel a generalization tho.
Fanboys and digiratti don't use their phones for calls, but not all who don't use their phones for calls are fanboys or digiratti. I don't see how my post implies anything different at least to those who understand the is-a relationship of inheritance (that might be part of set theory too).

Ollie Pooch

teiresias said:
Fanboys and digiratti don't use their phones for calls, but not all who don't use their phones for calls are fanboys or digiratti. I don't see how my post implies anything different at least to those who understand the is-a relationship of inheritance (that might be part of set theory too).
what is a digiratti?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
teiresias said:
Well I don't understand it, so there.

elohel

When apple introduces something they don't always claim to be first in fact they rarely do at least in regards to individual features

Never understood people who think apple thinks they're reinventing things they're not lol

They're not acting like facetime ia a first but cmon would you really believe and can you list off the top of your head without looking phones that have this feature in the US and that it almost always works?

that's why it's a big deal when apple announces shit that people have already announced

It's so easy yes videocalling has been around for years but never worked very well if even at all no one had the platform or infrastructure set up but nownyoure guaranteed

I may be wrong but that's just how I see it

they say something works and it does done it like 6 times and no problems so far

I heard some peope cant get their front facing cameras to even work on their evo or w/e

Owensboro

So, until today I thought this whole reception thing was just raging on internet forums until I listened to talk radio this morning. The radio station I was listening to is based in Atlanta, GA and all 4 morning talk radio hosts talked about having problems with their iPhones, all to different degrees. The best being one guy who could see bars go down and had dropped calls every now and then but it wasn't that bad. The worst being the girl who said she had resorted to using her old 3GS because the 4 was dropping so many calls (and that she didn't want to return the iPhone 4 which I found a little strange).

My initial thought was that perhaps the iPhone4s are just bad in Atlanta. After all, that's where CNN's headquarters are. Maybe that's why they were posting so many stories about reception problems. Seven of the links on their main page today are iPhone related (lets not kid ourselves though, those stories generate a ton of hits). Then, they started getting calls from all over the USA and I realized the radio show was based in New York. Of all the cities that called in, only one guy from Miami said he had 0 problems with his reception. I had no idea this problem was so ingrained in the "social subconscious" that morning radio shows were talking about it during commute time (their busiest time).

I really hope Apple comes through 100% on fixing the problem that some people are having.

Edit: Wow at the poll on CNN right now. -- "Should the iPhone 4 be recalled?" - Yes 78% (138484), No 22% (39142).

Tobor

Dreams-Visions said:
well that's interesting.
This is the reason they're introducing tiered data. Customers en-masse are lowering their voice plans, many to the lowest amount allowed.

teiresias said:

....what the hell is this now, the SATs?

elohel said:
When apple introduces something they don't always claim to be first in fact they rarely do at least in regards to individual features

Never understood people who think apple thinks they're reinventing things they're not lol

They're not acting like facetime ia a first but cmon would you really believe and can you list off the top of your head without looking phones that have this feature in the US and that it almost always works?

that's why it's a big deal when apple announces shit that people have already announced

It's so easy yes videocalling has been around for years but never worked very well if even at all no one had the platform or infrastructure set up but nownyoure guaranteed

I may be wrong but that's just how I see it

they say something works and it does done it like 6 times and no problems so far

I heard some peope cant get their front facing cameras to even work on their evo or w/e
I think even at the announcement Jobs was like "we're not first, but we're doing it well" or something like that.

I wonder what would satisfy all of these haters about the whole "first" thing. Would it be enough if on every ad Apple makes, they just put "we weren't the first to do this, we're so late" on the bottom? When has any company ever done something like that?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone else who doesn't even own or consider buying an iPhone 4 really excited about today? I've been following this story since the beginning and this is pretty much the crescendo -- but it could go any way; no one really has any idea. More fun than the recent E3s even. :D

AstroLad said:
Anyone else who doesn't even own or consider buying an iPhone 4 really excited about today? I've been following this story since the beginning and this is pretty much the crescendo -- but it could go any way; no one really has any idea. More fun than the recent E3s even. :D
Someone buy this man an iPhone 4

LCfiner said:

Ignore CurlySaysX, he loves to stir shit up.

I'm also surprised the mods haven't started banning people who obviously troll in Apple threads. Any sort of nonsense in Wii threads gets an automatic ban.

You're right, you don't see Apple fans trolling the Android threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom