• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cereal KiIIer said:
I went from 5 bars ANYWHERE to 2/3 bars... Rogers network ain't that good after all :lol (3gs)
On 3GS I still get five bars with them in two main places where I check - at home and at work. But I have noticed even before that it would go to 2-3 bars in random places, and completely shut off in the elevators and some supermarkets, so they are not flawless for me either.

LCfiner said:
Wow. Not only has my apartment dropped from 5 to 3 bars after 4.0.1, but my office has as well.

MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE!!!
Same with me. Now I have not been able to get 5 bars anywhere and I live/work in the suburbs of a major city (Philly). I will be in the city tonight so we shall see how that goes. All I know is my whole world is collapsing right before my eyes!

Owensboro

kitchenmotors said:
Ignore CurlySaysX, he loves to stir shit up.

I'm also surprised the mods haven't started banning people who obviously troll in Apple threads. Any sort of nonsense in Wii threads gets an automatic ban.

You're right, you don't see Apple fans trolling the Android threads.

Are they popping into the [OT] iPhone thread and shitting it up? Or is it only the negative news stories threads? I could see banning being OK during [OT] threads (like the official news conference thread when it's put up), but asking for it in negative news threads is asking for a little much.

And why aren't "Apple fans" posting negative news about Android phones?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
AstroLad said:
Anyone else who doesn't even own or consider buying an iPhone 4 really excited about today? I've been following this story since the beginning and this is pretty much the crescendo -- but it could go any way; no one really has any idea. More fun than the recent E3s even. :D

It is interesting to me because I have been on the side of the fence that Apple is on right now. But the product that we had wasn't dropping calls, it was starting fires. The peoduct wasn't pushed as hard as the iPhone 4 has been, media attention wasn't like it is now, so we settled out of court a few times, fixed the issues and replaced product quietly. Ironically the only time we even talked to the media about it was when we told them a competitor had the same problem and they blew it up big time. This was after we fixed our mess first, of course.

So to me the intrigue is not what fix there will be. The intrigue is how Apple will handle it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dskillzhtown said:
So to me the intrigue is not what fix there will be. The intrigue is how Apple will handle it.
Oh I totally agree with that. I could care less what the actual fix is; but I am very interested in what the reaction will be and how it will continue to evolve perceptions and arguments about Apple.

Owensboro said:
Are they popping into the [OT] iPhone thread and shitting it up? Or is it only the negative news stories threads? I could see banning being OK during [OT] threads (like the official news conference thread when it's put up), but asking for it in negative news threads is asking for a little much.

And why aren't "Apple fans" posting negative news about Android phones?
Having to own an Android phone is punishment enough.

AstroLad said:
Oh I totally agree with that. I could care less what the actual fix is; but I am very interested in what the reaction will be and how it will continue to evolve perceptions and arguments about Apple.

+1. I worked with Microsoft for nearly 10 years and I swore they were the most arrogant gaggle of self-important prigs I'd ever dealt with. I was proven wrong within six months by Apple.

They are ridiculously aloof. I don't believe it will happen, but the prospect of seeing Steve Jobs eat humble pie is a big draw for me.

AirBrian

AstroLad said:
Anyone else who doesn't even own or consider buying an iPhone 4 really excited about today? I've been following this story since the beginning and this is pretty much the crescendo -- but it could go any way; no one really has any idea. More fun than the recent E3s even. :D
I got my iPhone 4 replaced last night because I had some scratches on the screen. I was talking with the Genius Bar guy and he was really excited about this. He said it's been a nightmare answering question after question about this. He then asked me about my reception and if I had any calls actually dropped from holding it (I've had 1, maybe 2), and then recommended me a Bumper. I said I might be back tomorrow to pick up my free one and he chuckled. :lol He was really curious as to what Apple would announce and guessed it would be a voluntary recall because he said it seems like they're holding back inventory. Meh, who knows. We'll find out in a couple of hours.

julls said:
God, if i have to read the terms 'iCult' 'iFan' or any other number of childish 'system wars' style insults on a message board...

So many users of the Android boards I've visited seeking reviews/impressions of phones seem to enjoy these overly nerdy "LOLOLOL, enjoy your locked in jesus phone with no reception or flash!!" style digs. Really turns me off - i dunno if they love their phones cos they're not Apple, or cos they're awesome.
They are not Apple is 75% of the love.
That they are usually awesome phones is 25%

That is my theory at least.

kitchenmotors said:

I'm also surprised the mods haven't started banning people who obviously troll in Apple threads. Any sort of nonsense in Wii threads gets an automatic ban.

But weren't Apple fans threatened with bans for going into Kindle/nook threads and suggesting iPads?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
ScientificNinja said:
+1. I worked with Microsoft for nearly 10 years and I swore they were the most arrogant gaggle of self-important prigs I'd ever dealt with. I was proven wrong within six months by Apple.

They are ridiculously aloof. I don't believe it will happen, but the prospect of seeing Steve Jobs eat humble pie is a big draw for me.

I love inside stories like these. Got any more? :p

LCfiner

kitchenmotors said:

when I think about it some more... shit, I wouldn't even know what to do :lol .

I'd be the lamest troll, fumbling around with vague jabs about poor fonts and keyboard system replacements.

I'd probably put myself to sleep before I could even hit submit.

Ive been sitting here watching my phon go from one bar to no service and back. This thing is an awesome portable media device, but damn, I could use a phone function as well. Can't wait to see what they announce.

X-Frame

Kano On The Phone said:
Having to own an Android phone is punishment enough.
Dayyyyuuuummm.

I'm not used to doing any time conversions in my head - except for Apple events. An hour ago I thought it was happening already. :(

I just think that this whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion. Is there an issue with the phone? Yes, obviously there is. But it would not be as huge a deal in the media if it were not Apple having the issue. Sure, Jobs didn't help things with that one "holding it wrong" email, but the media knows that Apple stories get lots of hits due to passionate feelings on both the lover and hater sides. It is just infuriating to read half of the stuff in here and many other places. I guess when a company that is cool to hate messes up something, then it is all of a sudden an apocalypse level event? The amount of people posting rational thoughts on this are so few and far between on here, but thankfully there are some.

PhoncipleBone said:
But weren't Apple fans threatened with bans for going into Kindle/nook threads and suggesting iPads?

I wouldn't know, don't have a need for an iPad or an eReader if any kind. It wouldn't surprise me though from some of the hardcore Apple fanboys, but there's a difference between suggesting a product (that might be better in some ways for only a little bit more out of your pocket, but that's subjective) and trolling threads for no other reason than to be a douche.

I want the old antenna report system back. I liked being lied to. Now my 3Gs is on one bar or two all the time. Verizon where are you!!

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
PhoncipleBone said:
I just think that this whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion. Is there an issue with the phone? Yes, obviously there is. But it would not be as huge a deal in the media if it were not Apple having the issue.

Apple are targeted because they are often the benchmark.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kitchenmotors said:
I wouldn't know, don't have a need for an iPad or an eReader if any kind. It wouldn't surprise me though from some of the hardcore Apple fanboys, but there's a difference between suggesting a product (that might be better in some ways for only a little bit more out of your pocket, but that's subjective) and trolling threads for no other reason than to be a douche.
People in that thread were just spewing a meme -- some variation of "get an iPad" -- even though the OP specifically said he was only interested in a Kindle or Nook. That is always sanctionable. Here even the people dubbed "haters" are really just consumers concerned about the direction of a company, the messages they are sending to consumers, and the viability of a product. Big difference.

Sullichin

Did Jobs ever actually say "You're holding it wrong" ? I believe the actual e-mail said "Just avoid holding it that way."

I just think it's interesting that "You're holding it wrong" is what gets constantly quoted and referred to. But, either way, it's kind of a rude response :p

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
PhoncipleBone said:
They are not Apple is 75% of the love.
That they are usually awesome phones is 25%

That is my theory at least.
Awesome spec wise, or awesome to actually use? That's another one I can't seem to figure out. I kind of decided to give it another year or so when people were talking about 'rooting' their phones (which, as an aussie made me giggle in a really childish way..) and installing plugins just to make the UI look better/remove lag :\ Needs some more time in the oven methinks...

If it wasn't so late for me here, I'd gladly stay up to see how Steve Jobs is gonna spin this. Not from a PR perspective, just from a 'I'll apologise, but I refuse to admit I'm wrong' perspective :p Maybe they won't even let him out on stage?

Sullichin said:
Did Jobs ever actually say "You're holding it wrong" ? I believe the actual e-mail said "Just avoid holding it that way."

I just think it's interesting that "You're holding it wrong" is what gets constantly quoted and referred to. But, either way, it's kind of a rude response :p
Well, they're more or less the same thing. I can only imagine the guy's face receiving that response.

PhoncipleBone said:
I just think that this whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion. Is there an issue with the phone? Yes, obviously there is. But it would not be as huge a deal in the media if it were not Apple having the issue. Sure, Jobs didn't help things with that one "holding it wrong" email, but the media knows that Apple stories get lots of hits due to passionate feelings on both the lover and hater sides. It is just infuriating to read half of the stuff in here and many other places. I guess when a company that is cool to hate messes up something, then it is all of a sudden an apocalypse level event? The amount of people posting rational thoughts on this are so few and far between on here, but thankfully there are some.
It's a phone. Its primary purpose is to make and receive calls. The iPhone 4 can't do that effectively for a lot of its users. How is that blowing it out of proportion? I'm a Mac lover, but apologizing for the company's mistake is just silly.

Sullichin said:

:lol

Either way, it pretty much means the same thing.

Mercury Fred said:
It's a phone. Its primary purpose is to make and receive calls. The iPhone 4 can't do that effectively for a lot of its users. How is that blowing it out of proportion? I'm a Mac lover, but apologizing for the company's mistake is just silly.
I did say that there was an issue with the phone and the company is not doing itself any favors. I was not apologizing, I was pointing out that an issue such as this is only this big of a story because it is Apple and not HTC or Motorola.

krzy123

AstroLad said:
People in that thread were just spewing a meme -- some variation of "get an iPad" -- even though the OP specifically said he was only interested in a Kindle or Nook. That is always sanctionable. Here even the people dubbed "haters" are really just consumers concerned about the direction of a company, the messages they are sending to consumers, and the viability of a product. Big difference.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392094

njean777

AstroLad said:

idk if this will have a huge reaction depending on how they handle it. Remember when the Imac 27in displays were screwed up? That debacle died really quick. Apple doesnt have the corporate face that M$ has. They can just give out free bumpers and the whole tech industry will be happy i bet.

PhoncipleBone said:
I did say that there was an issue with the phone and the company is not doing itself any favors. I was not apologizing, I was pointing out that an issue such as this is only this big of a story because it is Apple and not HTC or Motorola.
duh?

HTC and motorola don't have products that sell as large. with the bigass spotlight they typically enjoy having comes bigass responsibility and accountability. and sometimes bigass criticism.

julls said:
Awesome spec wise, or awesome to actually use? That's another one I can't seem to figure out. I kind of decided to give it another year or so when people were talking about 'rooting' their phones (which, as an aussie made me giggle in a really childish way..) and installing plugins just to make the UI look better/remove lag :\ Needs some more time in the oven methinks...
Both. But different strokes for different folks right? Android is cool for its customization and tweakability. But some people dont want to have to constantly be tweaking their stuff. At least there are options out there for most people, and when the iPhone finally leaves AT&T then more people will have a choice for a smartphone.

njean777 said:
idk if this will have a huge reaction depending on how they handle it. Remember when the Imac 27in displays were screwed up? That debacle died really quick. Apple doesnt have the corporate face that M$ has. They can just give out free bumpers and the whole tech industry will be happy i bet.
Including the customers, really.

teiresias

kitchenmotors said:
The OP in that topic specifically said he was trying to decide between a Nook and a Kindle and had no interest in an iPad. First reply? "Get an iPad". Repeat for most of the first and second page.

Fatalah

njean777 said:

It's not the industry you're fighting, it's the media. The next time a new Apple product comes out, this gaffe will be noted. How many consumers will now pause before buying? That's the effect of this fiasco.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
For the first week, apple acted like they didn't want to be held accountable and wanted to profit off a fix.

Any tech savvy person should worry about that. If Apple, a top company, could get away with it, others could.

IIRC, it took a lawsuit to get micrsoft to extend the 360 warranty? You guys surely had help from people being vocal that didn't buy a 360 until a much later date.

Sorry there are trolls, but the media and people being vocal is a good thing IMO.

Can't wait for a fix and the time I upgrade to the iPhone 4.

PhoncipleBone said:
Both. But different strokes for different folks right? Android is cool for its customization and tweakability. But some people dont want to have to constantly be tweaking their stuff. At least there are options out there for most people, and when the iPhone finally leaves AT&T then more people will have a choice for a smartphone.
the iPhone won't leave AT&T.

it may not be exclusive next year. but it won't leave AT&T to go somewhere else.

teiresias said:
The OP in that topic specifically said he was trying to decide between a Nook and a Kindle and had no interest in an iPad. First reply? "Get an iPad". Repeat for most of the first and second page.
then surely he learned his lesson and bought an iPad.

though at this point, the eReaders have come down just about low enough for people to start really buying them finally. I have an iPad but would like to have a Kindle DX. easier for long reading.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You guys should make two threads:
- We love Apple |OT| -
- We hate Apple |OT| -

Then no one would get banned or anything like that. :3

njean777

Fatalah said:
It's not the industry you're fighting, it's the media. The next time a new Apple product comes out, this gaffe will be noted. How many consumers will now pause before buying? That's the effect of this fiasco.

seriously doubt that, apple has never screwed up like this. Other companies have many of times. This is apples first huge screw up. If they are smart they will save face and ppl will almost instantly look past this and remember that apple handled the problem the right way. Which will lead to more customer loyalty. Now they could totally screw themselves over today but we shall see.

teiresias said:
Half of those were jokes and anyone with any sense, no matter how much they love their iPad or Apple, told the OP to stay the fuck away from the iPad as an eReader. You're really reaching.

Davidion

Fersis said:
- We love Apple |OT| -
- We hate Apple |OT| -

What are you smoking? EVERYONE would get banned.

Patrick Bateman said:
So, 1.5 hours remaining, right?
fuck man. I can't make it. I worked through the night on a magazine ad (deadline was this morning) and I just finished it. I just can't hang to watch the conference. saaaaaadnesssssss

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
PhoncipleBone said:
Both. But different strokes for different folks right?
Absolutely. I'm not against that aspect at all - which is part of why I was checking out Android phones. Guy at work showed me an HTC Desire, and I was pretty impressed. Android just seems immature to me (in terms of polish, that is - immaturity of posters aside) but with a lot of potential. Haven't seen anything that's blown me away yet :( Doesn't help, though, that the range of current handsets available in Australia could be counted on one hand...

projekt84

Fersis said:
- We love Apple |OT| -
- We hate Apple |OT| -

People would obviously hop threads to the other side to show their love/hate to the opposing end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom