• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

iPhone 4 to Canada on July 30th!!

canada-flag.gif

Tapiozona said:
Way to be a good consumer. Accept mediocrity, it's what keeps capitalism going!

You really think a bandaid solves the problem? Problem is still there..it's just hidden behind a huge ugly case.
Eh? It's the best smartphone on the market.
Gary Whitta said:
So... no hardware or additional software fix? Huh!
Just because they're not talking about it doesn't mean it won't happen. The free case thing ends on September 30th, so my guess is that by then they plan on having iPhones in the channel that no longer experience this problem.

I'd still be pissed because the case ruins the sexy device imo but it's got a full refund so you can always figure out getting another phone. Probably what you'd expect.

Also fuck you apple and announce new Ipod touches

josephdebono said:
10:18AM "We knew that you could see bars drop on the phone when you hold it in a certain way, it's a fact, phones aren't perfect. But people are reporting better reception with this antenna than they've ever seen before."
The conspiracy comes from you assuming the bumper was made as an antenna fix rather than as a case, like all sane people view it.

Them giving away free bumpers now should finally kill your theory, considering they're going to be losing a ton of money on this.

Sh0k

To get a new free bumper on a different color or to get a refund on my black bumper .... decisions, decisions ....

andycapps

Free cases is the right thing to do, hopefully they will actually fix the issue for you as well for free if you want that. But good call on the cases, I think that was the least they could do and at least they did that. Seemed like a lot of downplaying of selective data to support the fact that it's really not a big deal, but because of a slow press cycle they're being faulted for a nonexistent issue.. So in light of that they decided to give customers free cases or a refund because they like making their customers happy. That's a lot of spin now that I think about it.

Ecto311

badcrumble said:
Free cases for everyone. Problem solved IMO.

You high? How is it solved and what happens in September when the free cases dry up? Is there a hardware revision coming? I really like this phone but I think I'm going to wait out this version and give the captivate a shot.

Also my wife has a shitty case from best buy - does she get a refund? Do the cases allow me to dock and play my headphones or do I need to take it on and off thus making it fall apart faster and requiring me to get a new case on my own?

Minsc

Gold Member
How do you get your refund? Is apple automatically crediting purchased bumpers?

I'm not sure why I think anyone here will know :lol

Hopefully they make the process for the refunds easy.

RBH

Glad to see an impending software fix for the proximity sensor.

Interfectum said:
Not defensive, just pointing out a douchebag when I see one.

Chill out bro.
Name calling now? Thanks for proving my point. :lol

twofold

10:18AM "We knew that you could see bars drop on the phone when you hold it in a certain way, it's a fact, phones aren't perfect. But people are reporting better reception with this antenna than they've ever seen before."

Surely the fact that there's more dropped calls than the 3gs means that something is wrong. If the antenna was as improved as they say it is, and the problem was such a tiny issue, the dropped calls statistic would be lower on the iphone 4 than the 3gs.

I'm confused.

antispin

“So we do all this because we love our users. And when we fall short — which we do sometimes — we try harder. We pick ourselves up, we figure out what’s wrong, and we try harder. And when we succeed, they reward us by staying our users, and that makes it all worth it.”

Salute!

I'm happy with the free bumper. Would I rather not have to worry about the reception issue in the first place? Sure, but at least this is a band-aid that works for me.

gimmmick

This is like giving speed too a person that wants to loose weight. Doesn't exactly fix the problem in the long run, but it'll do in mean time.

Blackhead

Redarse
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The conspiracy comes from you assuming the bumper was made as an antenna fix rather than as a case, like all sane people view it.

Them giving away free bumpers now should finally kill your theory, considering they're going to be losing a ton of money on this.
It's still cheaper than a recall or changing the design so your excuse has holes.

Again, no proof but you shouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
"we know your phone is broken - here's a distraction that costs us about 1% of cash you handed over. see you in six months for iphone 5 morons!"

NYR

"We've been trying to understand this so when we solve it, we really solve it, not slap a band-aid on it. "

Errrr, isn't that EXACTLY what you did, Apple?????

NekoFever

Sh0k said:
To get a new free bumper on a different color or to get a refund on my black bumper .... decisions, decisions ....
Get the refund and buy a new bumper later if you decide that you want it.

Crisco

Banned
Welp, that was a fairly measured and non-controversial response. I still think they'll fix the problem completely in future production runs, but this is about the best anyone could have reasonably expected. Unfortunately, the whole spiel at the beginning will give the haters and fanboys plenty of ammunition, so this won't be the end of the debate.

Axion22

Charred Greyface said:
It's still cheaper than a recall or changing the design so your excuse has holes.

Again, no proof but you shouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

I think a non-conductive coating along the outside might cost the same or even less than the few cents of plastic/rubber the bumpers are made of, not counting whatever cost to implement that would be, of course.

Xrenity

So they've worked 22 days and they've come to the conclusion that there's not really a problem and the bumper solves it.

Must've been hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom