• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The conspiracy comes from you assuming the bumper was made as an antenna fix rather than as a case, like all sane people view it.

Them giving away free bumpers now should finally kill your theory, considering they're going to be losing a ton of money on this.

No idea how them losing a ton of money disproves my theory. And secondly if you could just open your eyes you could see that the bloody thing is created exactly for this purpose. I hear people screaming all the time about scratching the side of their phone. And don't give me the ridge bullshit. If you have your phone in your pocket with a bumper with it's six foot recess mixed with some coins or keys you're gonna scratch it exactly in the same way.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Weird, so they like sorta didn't do anything at all.

proximity sensor is a far bigger problem for me, never noticed the "death grip" problem by the proximity sensor is annoying. Glad to see a fix.

itxaka

Defeatist
"So the heart of the problem is, smartphones have issues, and we made it easy to exploit the issue by showing people where to hold the phone to cover the antenna. But the data supports the fact that the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone in the world, and there is no Antennagate... there is a challenge for the entire smartphone industry to improve its antenna technology so there are no weak spots. So today we're going to try and take care of our customers."

oh wow.

blahblahblah we are awesome
blahblahblah other do it too
blahblahblah we are awesome
blahblahblah FREE BUMPER
blahblahblah We love you guys

Not getting an iphone on launch yet, no way of knowing if they are gonna fix or not and when.

Ramma2 said:
How well do the bumpers stay on the phone? I've never seen one in action.
They snap over very tightly. The thing you're going to hate is that standard headphone plugs don't fit inside them just like the original iPhone.

So they worked 22 days to figure out just give people bumpers? Didn't Consumer Reports and everyone else figure that out a lot faster than they did? I sure hope in this Q&A that someone asks what happens after the free bumper offers is up. But knowing Q&As, people ask dumb questions that were already answered in the conference.

KingGondo

Banned
Xrenity said:
So they've worked 22 days and they've come to the conclusion that there's not really a problem and the bumper solves it.

Must've been hard.
He specifically said "THERE IS A PROBLEM."

Steve Jobs said:
Now when we look at this data, it's hard to escape the conclusion that there is a problem, but that problem is affecting a very small number of users.
They just feel it's overblown. Hard not to agree when you read this thread.

X26

Banned
"So the heart of the problem is, smartphones have issues, and we made it easy to exploit the issue by showing people where to hold the phone to cover the antenna. But the data supports the fact that the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone in the world, and there is no Antennagate... there is a challenge for the entire smartphone industry to improve its antenna technology so there are no weak spots. So today we're going to try and take care of our customers."

Apple, victims of the utter failure of their competitors, and the champions who will go forth and bring change *tear*

Interfectum

Jtwo said:
Weird, so they like sorta didn't do anything at all.

You mean besides admit there is a problem and they are working on it... and in the mean time here is a free case that completely fixes the problem. Yeah they didn't do anything. :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Crisco said:
Welp, that was a fairly measured and non-controversial response. I still think they'll fix the problem completely in future production runs, but this is about the best anyone could have reasonably expected. Unfortunately, the whole spiel at the beginning will give the haters and fanboys plenty of ammunition, so this won't be the end of the debate.
I'm not a hater or fanboy, but I have a problem with previous iPhones not being on their death grip chart.

This shit is amazing.

We are such consumer whores that we literally sat and allowed ourselves collectively to be told by a big-ass company that they're right and we're wrong about something that they clearly, unequivocably fucked up. Not only that, but we let them tell us "everyone else's is fucked up too lol".

Awesome. :lol

andycapps

Horsebite said:
This solution = putting a bag over an ugly bitch's head.

:lol :lol You win, sir.

Edit: From Engadget..

Q: Are you doing anything else to address the issue? Perhaps changing hardware?
Steve: You know, the 3GS has the same problem. We're getting reports from customers that this is better than the 3GS. So I don't know changing the antenna design would help -- I don't know what our next antenna design will look like.

josephdebono said:
No idea how them losing a ton of money disproves my theory. And secondly if you could just open your eyes you could see that the bloody thing is created exactly for this purpose. I hear people screaming all the time about scratching the side of their phone. And don't give me the ridge bullshit. If you have your phone in your pocket with a bumper with it's six foot recess mixed with some coins or keys you're gonna scratch it exactly in the same way.
But you'll scratch almost any phone with a case if you put it in a pocket with coins and keys. Other cases don't cover the front glass because glass is strong, and the iPhone 4 is glass on both sides. It's not difficult to understand.

This is like goddamn 9/11 to you when it's really Apple just making a really cheap, thin case because they made a phone with glass on both sides.

ZZMitch

Its an ok solution, I don;t see how they were "working their butts off" for 22 days though :lol

They didn't really do anything.

noah111

Still Alive
“But the data supports the fact that the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone in the world, and that there is no antennagate.”

500x_fsjmatrixspoon.jpg

gcubed

twofold said:
Surely the fact that there's more dropped calls than the 3gs means that something is wrong. If the antenna was as improved as they say it is, and the problem was such a tiny issue, the dropped calls statistic would be lower on the iphone 4 than the 3gs.

I'm confused.

basically this... if you have such a better design but your call drop rate is HIGHER then you have an issue.

Struct09

mil6es said:
LOL took 22days to come with the idea to give everyone new cases????

Re-testing things, making careful business decisions, along with developing front and back end processes to accommodate customers creating their free case orders. I'm no Apple apologist, but that seems acceptable to me. People can still return their iPhone 4's if they're not happy.

V_Ben

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
They snap over very tightly. The thing you're going to hate is that standard headphone plugs don't fit inside them just like the original iPhone.

Well, thankfully they're offering the choice of case, so I won't get the bumper. cheers for the warning :lol

antispin

10:41AM Q: I can't get my Bold to drop right now, maybe you can show me how to do it?
Steve: You may not see it in certain areas.

:lol

This one is better -

10:43AM - Q from me: how does touching the corner with a single finger seem to cause this issue? It’s not just a grip, it can just happen by touching a single finger.
A from Bob: Your body is a pretty effective signal absorber. When you make contact with that phone, its performance in contact with you is less than its freespace performance. It’s a way to attenuate the signal by some amount. [Basically Bob didn't answer the question.]

KingGondo

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
That's not true. It just depends on the shape of the plug, it has to be fairly narrow to fit snugly. If it's an L-shaped plug, I've had some trouble with that. But besides that, my Sennheiser headphone plug fits just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom