• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
if I owned an iPhone 4 I would be extremely disappointed by this "solution" I don't use a case on my 3GS and wouldn't want to use on the iPhone 4 either.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
captmcblack said:
This shit is amazing.

We are such consumer whores that we literally sat and allowed ourselves collectively to be told by a big-ass company that they're right and we're wrong about something that they clearly, unequivocably fucked up. Not only that, but we let them tell us "everyone else's is fucked up too lol".

Awesome. :lol
no sir you are just an apple hater!

venne

10:41AM Q: I can't get my Bold to drop right now, maybe you can show me how to do it?
Steve: You may not see it in certain areas.

Jesus, Apple better hope the examples they used can be readily replicated.

Well, im convinced, im getting a HTC Desire when i update the end of this month. I like my phones caseless and working properly.

iPhone 4 looks great and would want one but no, this won't do for me Apple.

Willy105 said:
They could have just posted a notice on the website, like with his letter about Flash.

No need for a conference.
Nah, they needed to make as big a deal out of it as the media has. I wouldn't be surprised if they consulted with some outside crisis PR people on this since they have no experience with it at all.

numble

Going with iPhone 4 for sure now. Just got to figure out when to plan my trip to Hong Kong to pick up a factory-unlocked sucker.

owlbeak

gcubed said:
basically this... if you have such a better design but your call drop rate is HIGHER then you have an issue.
To be fair, they said it only dropped <1 call per 100 more than the 3GS.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
10:41AM Q: I can't get my Bold to drop right now, maybe you can show me how to do it?
Steve: You may not see it in certain areas.

awesome :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Interfectum said:
You mean besides admit there is a problem and they are working on it... and in the mean time here is a free case that completely fixes the problem. Yeah they didn't do anything. :lol
Yeah, exactly. They're not really doing anything to fix it.
I would be pretty miffed if instead of fixing my phone they gave me a free piece of ugly plastic to snap around the edges of it.

But, that's life I guess. The no restocking fee on returns is nice though.

Q from me: how does touching the corner with a single finger seem to cause this issue? It’s not just a grip, it can just happen by touching a single finger.

A from Bob: Your body is a pretty effective signal absorber. When you make contact with that phone, its performance in contact with you is less than its freespace performance. It’s a way to attenuate the signal by some amount.

Where is there an answer here? Beating nicely around the bush.

KingGondo said:
That's not true. It just depends on the shape of the plug, it has to be fairly narrow to fit snugly. If it's an L-shaped plug, I've had some trouble with that. But besides that, my Sennheiser headphone plug fits just fine.
I tried a couple of different regular headphones and they didn't fit, nor does the standard Radio Shack cable I use to connect it to my car. I had to buy an adapter.

Zeppu

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
But you'll scratch almost any phone with a case if you put it in a pocket with coins and keys. Other cases don't cover the front glass because glass is strong, and the iPhone 4 is glass on both sides. It's not difficult to understand.

This is like goddamn 9/11 to you when it's really Apple just making a really cheap, thin case because they made a phone with glass on both sides.

Well if you don't understand how to put the phone in your pocket with the face facing the fabric and with the back of the case facing the rest of the stuff in your pocket then I guess you have no fault in being oblivious to all this.

Wizman23

Banned
I think its funny how all the OT only posters think they are so superior to the gaming forum when this thread is the worst cesspool of shit I have read on GAF in 5 years.

itxaka

Defeatist
Horsebite said:

I commented about that before but it went unnoticed.

The problem wasn't about dropping calls (which happened/was reported a lot with the 3gs) but with no having signal.

You can't drop a call if you can't even start it right?

That is at least what I understand from the people complaints.

LCfiner

Willy105 said:
They could have just posted a notice on the website, like with his letter about Flash.

No need for a conference.

I gotta agree. this is essentially the same type of solution as the 100 dollar gift card for early iPhone adopters - give free shit to shut people up - yet that was a press release and this was a press conference.

I suppose they felt the scale of this problem warranted a public thing since it was getting so much media attention.

oh well, i guess it's pretty obvious now why it was on Friday. a grander solution would have been an early week press conference

noah111

Still Alive
flipping_heck said:
Well, im convinced, im getting a HTC Desire when i update the end of this month. I like my phones caseless and working properly.

Wait, you don't even have one? Wow, so many out there don't even encounter this problem in their daily usage. This whole thing is so hilarious, from both sides.

Sucks that people won't ask Jobs about the fact that the headphone jack port is badly designed. My wife is torn on this cuz she uses a bumper but she likes listening to music on it while at work.

venne

Horsebite said:

To be fair, we don't know how many calls a 3GS drops per 100.

If the 3GS drops .1 calls per 100, then an increase of less than one is astronomical.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Wizman23 said:
I think its funny how all the OT only posters think they are so superior to the gaming forum when this thread is the worst cesspool of shit I have read on GAF in 5 years.

Agree :/

josephdebono said:
Well if you don't understand how to put the phone in your pocket with the face facing the fabric and with the back of the case facing the rest of the stuff in your pocket then I guess you have no fault in being oblivious to all this.
What does this have to do with your conspiracy theory then? All you're doing right now is arguing that the bumper is a flawed design, which is a far leap away from your original assertion that the bumper is an antenna fix for a known problem meant to bilk consumers. Many cases are flawed designs to some people. It's nice to have options.

noah111

Still Alive
"When asked whether he’s going to make an apology to Apple investors, he says no, he has no apology."

Fucking awesome. :lol :lol :lol :lol

owlbeak

venne said:
To be fair, we don't know how many calls a 3GS drops per 100.

If the 3GS drops .1 calls per 100, then an increase of less than one is astronomical.
Fuck, dude, I don't even an own an iPhone. :lol I don't care about any of this, but it's fun to watch.

I don't understand how Apple can get on stage and proclaim that this issue is an issue for the entire industry.

My phone never dropped a call so easily.

It's not that they marked an area black, they have a new antenna design. The new antenna design is the issue, not that they made it easy to see where to exploit the issue.

Apple and their logic. Once so proud of this new antenna design "never done before" now they don't acknowledge it.

andycapps

Wizman23 said:

You must not go to the gaming side much. This is nothing.

johnnybryce said:
I don't understand how Apple can get on stage and proclaim that this issue is an issue for the entire industry.

My phone never dropped a call so easily.

It's not that they marked an area black, they have a new antenna design. The new antenna design is the issue, not that they made it easy to see where to exploit the issue.

Apple and their logic.

Apple should have put something in there where it'd give you an electric shock if you touched that seam. Or maybe a razor blade that stuck out. That'd teach people a lesson. "So instead of covering both sides of your phone to drop signal, we made it easier for you. Just avoid this spot on the side of the phone."

Wizman23 said:
The OT is generally pretty civil, this only happens with Apple.

devilhawk

Wizman23 said:
Who the hell are you?

Interfectum

flipping_heck said:

:lol fucking garbage

I and many, many others have used a caseless iPhone 4 since launch with no problems.

I love all these would be iPhone 4 owners going to live with daddy Google. Most overblown tech news story in years.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
interesting read, I'm holding a blackberry bold just now.... doesn't seem to signal drop either.

EDIT: I'm also left handed. Never heard of this type of signal problem or call drops before.

Minsc

Gold Member
V_Ben said:
Well, thankfully they're offering the choice of case, so I won't get the bumper. cheers for the warning :lol

Just a heads up, my headphones fit fine with the bumper, they just use a straight jack (not an L shaped one), so if you like the look of the bumper you might still be in luck depending on your particular set of headphones.

I already bought a bumper from apple store. Will I automatically get credited or will I also need to apply on the site? I assume I'll need to apply to prevent fraud of people reselling bumpers on black market

gcubed

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Jobs pointed out his theory that the small increase in drops is because people had 3G cases that fit on the 3GS, while the iPhone 4 came out with no cases but the black bumper.

didn't you call the other persons bumper theory a conspiracy theory because it had no data to back it up?

Ninja Kn1ght said:
if I owned an iPhone 4 I would be extremely disappointed by this "solution" I don't use a case on my 3GS and wouldn't want to use on the iPhone 4 either.

Just wait for the Verizon and T-Mobile versions in January when Apple will already have silently revised the hardware design without having to admit any wrongdoing.

Wizman23 said:

I was strongly considering suggesting that all future iPhone threads should take place on the Gaming side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom