• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sentry said:
“Apple doesnt believe its possible at this point to create a smartphone that doesn’t have weak spots unless you make it so large that it wont fit in your pocket or your hand.”

I don't get why they can't just put the antenna on the top, basically have that seam on top instead of where you grip the device. Can anyone explain this to me?
I remember people were saying that you can't do that because of federal regulations on radiation.

Sentry said:
“Apple doesnt believe its possible at this point to create a smartphone that doesn’t have weak spots unless you make it so large that it wont fit in your pocket or your hand.”

I don't get why they can't just put the antenna on the top, basically have that seam on top instead of where you grip the device. Can anyone explain this to me?

FCC regulations and brain tumors

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
10:56AM Q: Will the refund include third party cases?
A: There's a very small number of third party cases out there. So no.
Q: Well it's interesting, there aren't any cases out there, and it's hard to get cases now. If the third party case buyers can produce a receipt, why not give them one?
Steve: It's really simple, if we tell people what our next product is, they stop buying our current products. Sometimes websites buy stolen property and they get out there... and case makers have a history of showing off their new cases for our new products. The case vendors haven't had a history of helping to keep our work under wraps.

he's so butthurt over the Gizmodo incident.

Chairman85

Sentry said:

FCC regulations prevent antenna placement at that position.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Sentry said:

iPhone 5 will not look like iPhone 4.

C Jones

DeathNote said:
If I'm reading this right, no free case after late September? That indicates a hardware fix to me. Seems like they delayed the white to implement it. They labeled it as an assembly problem delay.

Edit: wait, refund bumper until late sept?
Then why would they offer the free case to the white iPhone users? Cover up?

owlbeak

10:57
Jon Stokes:
John Gruber asks if anyone (on stage) carried an iPhone 4 with a bumper

Jon Stokes:
awesome

Jon Stokes:
they all pulled their phones out and no cases

Jon Stokes:
*laughter all around*
:lol

Minsc

Gold Member
itxaka said:
Theory versus actual data provided by apple that shows that the iphone 4 drops more calls than the 3gs. Common, it's not rocket science, you know..

Describing a fraction of a single dropped call as "dropping more calls" sounds a little deceiving to me.

Axion22

cnizzle06 said:
The problem doesn't exist...have a case.

Yes, because they didn't actually spend a bunch of time bashing competitor's products and repeating what the CTIA said when this was discovered.

twofold

Charred Greyface said:
I probably missed the explanation to. You need q case for it to be better than the 3GS

Right.

Which is why I'll be passing on the iphone 4. What use is having such a slickly designed phone with a thin profile when the bumper increases it's size and makes it more difficult to put it inside and out of pockets?

This was a terrible, terrible response to the problem, and I hope Apple gets roasted for it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
C Jones said:
Then why would they offer the free case to the white iPhone users? Cover up?
To prevent exchanges it would seem.

I guess we have to wait and see if there's a revision when people test and open up.

ZZMitch said:
Its an ok solution, I don;t see how they were "working their butts off" for 22 days though :lol

They didn't really do anything.
So you didn't hear about their algorithm patch fix? Or you don't think they actually thought about anything other than a free bumper? How old are you guys, do you have any brain power to fully understand what goes into business decisions?

And it's pretty awesome to see non iPhone owners and regular jocks posting snide remarks in the thread. It's beyond an apple issue and more of a general trolling issue now. How mature are dick sucking jokes, or any other lame jokes?

The same is the same with Apple threads. Some people out there are just pissy that we like Apple shit no matter the weather. You call us dumb asses for buying apple products blindly well I seem to recall a large amount of you guys and many others soaking up Windows Vista, being stung and soaking up Windows 7 and declaring it the greatest thing in the world. It's swings and round abouts. Yes I and many other like our Apple shit and we are much more sympathetic to the company when stuff like this happens, because it normally doesn't.

But I haven't got much more to say. I'm OK with the presentation today and I fully understand and accept the problems they have had. I will get a bumper even though I'm not affected. I will be buying the next iPhone in the summer. And no, I'm no fan boy. I just appreciate a company that puts business achievements and customers satisfaction first, unlike any other companies I've had the misfortune of dealing with

noah111

Still Alive
Nazgul_Hunter said:
FCC regulations and brain tumors
Well that's kind of ridiculous, I mean my cheek is like 3 inches away from my ear, basically where the antenna is now.. but hey, what the fuck do I know.

Chairman85

Minsc said:
Describing a fraction of a single dropped call as "dropping more calls" sounds a little deceiving to me.
A fraction per 100. Could be one out of 150 or one out of 1000 or anything. Either way, dropping equal to or more calls with an improved antenna is bad news, though the Jobs' theory is plausible.

MercuryLS

Banned
Tapiozona said:
Way to be a good consumer. Accept mediocrity, it's what keeps capitalism going!

You really think a bandaid solves the problem? Problem is still there..it's just hidden behind a huge ugly case.

Agreed, I would have hoped that they'd make a coating for the steel band to stop the antenna problem. This is lame Apple, no sale when this thing comes out in Canada. I'll wait for the next iPhone.

Sentry said:

Keeping the antenna as far away as possible from your head so you don't die, I believe. Don't most phones with internal antennas put it near the bottom?

CTLance

Man, all I ever expected them to do was offer a free case, but somehow this presentation is really rubbing me the wrong way...

SRG01

After thinking about things, here's what I don't get: he repeats the fact that it only took them 22 days to come up with the data, but this is the same kind of data that they could've found during their supposedly intensive testing process. That is a level of inconsistency that I can't wrap my head around.

itxaka

Defeatist
Minsc said:

I'll say it again, reading all the complaints the problem wasn't people dropping calls but people losing all the signal due to the death grip. No signal = not even able to start a call.

mollipen

itxaka said:
Theory versus actual data provided by apple that shows that the iphone 4 drops more calls than the 3gs. Common, it's not rocket science, you know.

But the iPhone 4 is dropping more calls due to the problem this press conference was specifically about, is it not?

Zeppu

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's a perfect case for drops and table scratches.

Your point about putting it in a pocket with keys is dumb because no one with a brain does that.

Perhaps not everyone fawns over their phone and puts in in control of their habits.

My phones have never had a case. I don't care if the back scratches as long as I have none on the screen. I keep coins, zippos and keys in my pocket with them and just by turning the phone such that the glass faces my body and the keys are on the outside there's never been any scratch on any of my phones.

Anyway, whatever, think whatever you feel like thinking. I just find it strangely suspicious that Apple, out all companies, who values design so much and was so happy about the awesomeness of their new antenna design and the chrome rim around the phone would go ahead and launch a rubber band which hides said design, and does so on day 0 just after announcing the phone.

C Jones

twofold said:
Right.

Which is why I'll be passing on the iphone 4. What use is having such a slickly designed phone with a thin profile when the bumper increases it's size and makes it more difficult to put it inside and out of pockets?

This was a terrible, terrible response to the problem, and I hope Apple gets roasted for it.
Why don't you just buy it and see for yourself if it's a problem for you? They let you return it.

ZZMitch

Mecha_Infantry said:
And no, I'm no fan boy. I just appreciate a company that puts business achievements and customers satisfaction first, unlike any other companies I've had the misfortune of dealing with

I feel the same way, but Apple is not one of those companies for me.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
twofold said:
Right.

What do you want them to do? Jeez if you are so bothered about iphone just wait a year for a design which doesn't destroy your life.

I'm pretty anti corporate but you guys are getting a bit silly. :lol

carpal

Somewhat related: can anyone direct me to an animated gif of Homer Simpson doing BUY BUY BUY, SELL SELL SELL? (Note: I may be confusing my Simpsons memories.)

josephdebono said:
Perhaps not everyone fawns over their phone and puts in in control of their habits.

My phones have never had a case. I don't care if the back scratches as long as I have none on the screen. I keep coins, zippos and keys in my pocket with them and just by turning the phone such that the glass faces my body and the keys are on the outside there's never been any scratch on any of my phones.

Anyway, whatever, think whatever you feel like thinking. I just find it strangely suspicious that Apple, out all companies, who values design so much and was so happy about the awesomeness of their new antenna design and the chrome rim around the phone would go ahead and launch a rubber band which hides said design, and does so on day 0 just after announcing the phone.
They have a big ugly iPad case too that came out on day 1 that Jobs kept telling everyone he loves even after everyone said it was ugly and bulky and picked up dirt. They're in the case business now and were in it before this phone. There is no iPhone bumper case conspiracy. You're silly.

antispin

11:01AM - I guess it’s just human nature, when you see someone get successful you just want to tear it down. I see it happening with Google. Google is a great company. Look at everything they’ve created. Would you prefer we’re Korean companies? Do you not like the fact that we’re an American company leading the world right here? Of course we’re human, of course we’ll make mistakes. But sometimes I feel that in search of eyeballs for these web sites, people don’t care about what they leave in their wake.

What is he going on about?!

Manics

Banned
Jesus H., you don't NEED to put a case on the thing. People bitching and moaning that it "requires" a case to be better than the 3GS. It's like a friggin car accident, you want to look away but can't...."i really don't want to totally cover that antenna slot, but i just can't help myself cause I know I can make it lose bars!!"

Miggytronz

iphone-reception-pc-1043-rm-eng.jpg

the guy on the right is demonstrating the correct way to hold an iphone4

devilhawk

Minsc said:
It's fun with numbers guy.

No one drops calls at a rate of 20 in 100. It is likely in the single digits, if that. This means if you drop a call at an additional 1 in 100, you are dropping calls at probably a very high percentage increase. You can't dismiss that with the word" fraction."

Blackhead

Redarse
I'll have to see the video or something. If they say that all (other) phones have the problem, aren't they implying that all iPhone 4s have the problem?

MercuryLS

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
The only problem with the bumper is it makes the phone harder to whip out of my skin tight hipster jeans.

Honestly, this is an issue for me. I don't wear skin tight hipster jeans, but my jeans do run tight. I don't want to put a fucking rubber bumper on my phone, it'd make it so damn annoying to pull out quickly.

Fuckin' hell Apple, fix your goddamn phone. This "solution" fucking sucks.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
11:04AM Q: Is there a hardware redesign in this generation that could fix this problem?
A: You can go on the web and look at pictures of Nokia phones that ship with stickers on the back that say "don't touch here" -- you can go on YouTube and see these.

really? anyone have an example of this

EekTheKat

To keep things in perspective, the DeathGrip to the point where it drops bars issue also doesn't happen everywhere with the iPhone4.

Attenuation still happens when you grip/touch it, but there are some areas the signal is still strong enough to not drop a significant amount of bars and or affect the call.

C Jones

Charred Greyface said:
I'll have to see the video or something. If they say that all (other) phones have the problem, aren't they implying that all iPhone 4s have the problem?
I think they are saying all iPhones have the problem but only in certain areas.

curls

mil6es said:
wow the apple fanboys are out in full effect in this thread

I'm rather more bothered about the level of stupid posters in this thread.

Zeppu

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
They have a big ugly iPad case too that came out on day 1 that Jobs kept telling everyone he loves even after everyone said it was ugly and bulky and picked up dirt. They're in the case business now and were in it before this phone. There is no iPhone bumper case conspiracy. You're silly.

I still think the iPad case is cool because it seamlessly allows you to sit the device upright without requiring some ugly flip out stand at the back.

And yes, maybe I'm being silly.

Edit: and wouldn't covering the antenna part with some resistant transparent insulation spray just solve this problem?

Aren't there live components with this sort of covering which makes them safe to touch?
srs queschin.

KingGondo

Banned
A ton of the negative response is coming from people who A) don't have an iPhone 4 yet, or B) live where it hasn't been released yet.

Don't you think it's worth at least trying the phone (considering the virtually universal praise it's received) to see if the reception issue is a problem for you, or trying a bumper case if it is?

Instead it's "ANDROID CONFIRMED, CAN'T BELIEVE APPLE IS LYING TO US, WHAT A BUNCH OF FUCKERS, SHIPPED A BROKEN PHONE", etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom