• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught up with the conference so far.

Well done, Apple.

I was very down on them for how they handled this, and a free case is pretty much the perfect solution.

Minus style points for the defensiveness, but otherwise they treated this with a total customer focus, which is what I thought they needed to do.

mollipen

gcubed said:
basically this... if you have such a better design but your call drop rate is HIGHER then you have an issue.

No, not "basically this". I'm not sure why the concept is that hard to understand.

Let's say the overall quality of the 3GS's antenna, on a scale of 1 to 10, was a 7, and the iPhone 4's antenna is a 9. (Totally made up numbers.) 3GS is in a case, or it doesn't get affected due to your hand position, so it is consistently a 7. iPhone 4 is most likely not in a case (due to there not being many yet), or it gets affected by the death grip, so instead of typically being a 9, your antenna quality is typically more along the lines of a 5 or 6.

iPhone 4 still has a better antenna capable of less dropped calls, but it also has a design flaw making it easy at the moment to have a serious impact on its overall quality. It all things were equal (such as both phones being in a case, or both phones being held so that they don't impact the antenna), the iPhone 4 is the better of the two.

It's not rocket science, you know.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The point about the external antenna meaning a bigger battery is a good one.

The iPhone 4's battery life is ridiculously good, easily twice as good as my old 3G one.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gary Whitta said:
Nah, they needed to make as big a deal out of it as the media has. I wouldn't be surprised if they consulted with some outside crisis PR people on this since they have no experience with it at all.
Steve's "letters" on apple.com main page are usually a big deal, since there's so few of them. The Flash letter certainly made waves, as did the one about music DRM.

ZZMitch

Interfectum said:
:lol fucking garbage

I and many, many others have used a caseless iPhone 4 since launch with no problems.

I love all these would be iPhone 4 owners going to live with daddy Google. Most overblown tech news story in years.

Your mad at him for choosing an Android phone over an iPhone?

Cmon dude..

Minsc

Gold Member
The_Inquisitor said:
I already bought a bumper from apple store. Will I automatically get credited or will I also need to apply on the site? I assume I'll need to apply to prevent fraud of people reselling bumpers on black market

I found on Mac Rumor's site, Apple said the rebates/free bumpers will be available to apply for on Apple's site starting late next week.

Blackface

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Just caught up with the conference so far.

Well done, Apple.

I was very down on them for how they handled this, and a free case is pretty much the perfect solution.

Minus style points for the defensiveness, but otherwise they treated this with a total customer focus, which is what I thought they needed to do.

What?

X26

Banned
venne said:
Jesus, Apple better hope the examples they used can be readily replicated.

blackberry among other are going to come out and defend themselves against the caims, and have an easy time doing it. don't know why apple did this, it will just prolong the bad pr

Blackhead

Redarse
twofold said:
Surely the fact that there's more dropped calls than the 3gs means that something is wrong. If the antenna was as improved as they say it is, and the problem was such a tiny issue, the dropped calls statistic would be lower on the iphone 4 than the 3gs.

I'm confused.
I probably missed the explanation to. You need q case for it to be better than the 3GS

numble

NYR said:
A $30 case that costs a dollar to make was a deciding factor? That is what you were on the fence about??

Odd.
They announced the release date of July 30, and I only have a short window where I can make a trip to Hong Kong, which is within that time. If they had to do a hardware recall or something else, the release would've probably been delayed a month or two (international launch of iPad was delayed for over a month, and it's still not available in Hong Kong). If I don't get it then, I either get a black market one (don't want to shell that much, and don't want to pay attention to jailbreaking and SHSH blobs) or wait until mid-September for the local release (don't want it because it doesn't come with the Youtube App and by then it is almost half a year until iPhone 5).

Wizman23 said:
I think its funny how all the OT only posters think they are so superior to the gaming forum when this thread is the worst cesspool of shit I have read on GAF in 5 years.

Thats only because you stopped posting in the NBA threads.

Zeppu

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
What does this have to do with your conspiracy theory then? All you're doing right now is arguing that the bumper is a flawed design, which is a far leap away from your original assertion that the bumper is an antenna fix for a known problem meant to bilk consumers. Many cases are flawed designs to some people. It's nice to have options.

I'm saying that if something which is designed to be a case fails at being a case (especially if it's designed by the ingenious people at Apple who, honestly, have done huge things for all products today) then perhaps the point of the case isn't to be a case...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If I'm reading this right, no free case after late September? That indicates a hardware fix to me. Seems like they delayed the white to implement it. They labeled it as an assembly problem delay.

Edit: wait, refund bumper until late sept?

devilhawk

shidoshi said:
No, not "basically this". I'm not sure why the concept is that hard to understand.

Let's say the overall quality of the 3GS's antenna, on a scale of 1 to 10, was a 7, and the iPhone 4's antenna is a 9. (Totally made up numbers.) 3GS is in a case, or it doesn't get affected due to your hand position, so it is consistently a 7. iPhone 4 is most likely not in a case (due to there not being many yet), or it gets affected by the death grip, so instead of typically being a 9, your antenna quality is typically more along the lines of a 5 or 6.

iPhone 4 still has a better antenna capable of less dropped calls, but it also has a design flaw making it easy at the moment to have a serious impact on its overall quality. It all things were equal (such as both phones being in a case, or both phones being held so that they don't impact the antenna), the iPhone 4 is the better of the two.

In your case, there's nothing science about it.

antispin

Jobs pointed out his theory that the small increase in drops is because people had 3G cases that fit on the 3GS, while the iPhone 4 came out with no cases but the black bumper.

Bumpers that no one wanted? Or Bumpers that didn't solve the issue? Weren't there quite a few third-party cases released? There was a thread on them too... Or was his data set only Apple Stores?

gcubed

shidoshi said:

i didnt think it was, but then you went and wrote two paragraphs about nothing. So the potential of the design is good, but the execution is poor is basically what you said... not sure what you are trying to disagree with here.

Its apparently rocket science to you.

nib95

Banned
I can't seem to replicate the problem on my HTC Desire, HTC HD2 or Nokia N95 8GB, but whatever. What they didn't touch on was the fact that the iPhone drops the signal altogether, whereas other phones tend to just drop a bar or two.

Imo this is not enough.

josephdebono said:
I'm saying that if something which is designed to be a case fails at being a case (especially if it's designed by the ingenious people at Apple who, honestly, have done huge things for all products today) then perhaps the point of the case isn't to be a case...
It's a perfect case for drops and table scratches.

Your point about putting it in a pocket with keys is dumb because no one with a brain does that.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
cnizzle06 said:
The problem doesn't exist...have a case.

Well it does exist for the entire industry in fact.

NYR

Sentry said:
"When asked whether he’s going to make an apology to Apple investors, he says no, he has no apology."

Fucking awesome. :lol :lol :lol :lol
He did say sorry. He said they were "deeply sorry". This was when he announced the free cases.

KingGondo

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I tried a couple of different regular headphones and they didn't fit, nor does the standard Radio Shack cable I use to connect it to my car. I had to buy an adapter.
Huh. I haven't had any problems, but I use a tape adapter for my car (2002 Accord FTW) and use a pair of cheap Senny PX-100s.

Wizman23 said:
I think its funny how all the OT only posters think they are so superior to the gaming forum when this thread is the worst cesspool of shit I have read on GAF in 5 years.
Most people on GAF (even if they're OT-only) were gaming fanboys at one time, and I think Apple threads are like Gaming-side flame wars for "grown-ups."

Pretty pathetic though, agreed. It's just a goddamn phone, and either the antenna issue is a dealbreaker for you, or it's not. Move on.

DeathNote said:
If I'm reading this right, no free case after late September? That indicates a hardware fix to me. Seems like they delayed the white to implement it. They labeled it as an assembly problem delay.

Bingo. Have a cigar, good sir.

Q: On the September 30th date, is that to let people know that you'll have to buy a case?
Steve: Not really, we'll reevaluate then. Maybe we'll have a better idea. Maybe Eminem will come out with a band-aid that goes over the corner and everyone will want that.

Uh, wait... the iPhone itself is getting fixed, right?

Pretty sensible solution. Current owners can choose from a variety of cases or return it for a full refund. I'm sure they're aware that bridging the antennas is the real problem, even if they won't acknowledge it publicly. They'll probably fix that in future revisions.

Minsc

Gold Member
nib95 said:
I can't seem to replicate the problem on my HTC Desire, HTC HD2 or Nokia N95 8GB, but whatever. What they didn't touch on was the fact that the iPhone drops the signal altogether, whereas other phones tend to just drop a bar or two.

Imo this is not enough.

People either have to return the phones, or shut up. If people don't want to return the phones (as the slides show), then it's not a big enough deal.

Q: On the September 30th date, is that to let people know that you'll have to buy a case?
Steve: Not really, we'll reevaluate then. Maybe we'll have a better idea. Maybe Eminem will come out with a band-aid that goes over the corner and everyone will want that.

itxaka

Defeatist
shidoshi said:

Theory versus actual data provided by apple that shows that the iphone 4 drops more calls than the 3gs. Common, it's not rocket science, you know.

Wasn't the issue not that bars dropped, but it dropped calls because it lost all signal?

I said that 2 times already. If the issue was the signal, the dropped call data meant nothing.

10:53AM Q: On the September 30th date, is that to let people know that you'll have to buy a case?

My guess: Rev B. of the iPhone 4 will come out w no antenna issue and they just don't want people to hold off on buying it right now

nib95 said:

Imo this is not enough.

Apple says its enough, so it is.

I mean I truly don't care, I didn't buy an iPhone 4. Other people who don't care can simply not buy one. I don't like the way Apple runs itself and thinks, so I no longer support them. If people are ok with these issues or policies, then they can support them. That's all there is. It's not fun or sad anymore. It's just reality. I wouldn't like to have a phone I need to wrap in ugly plastic to have operate, or a company who tells me all of the phones have the issue the iPhone 4 has and to nod yes. But that's me.

"iPhone 4, I need an iPhone 4. Where is the iPhone 4!"

gcubed

I don't see your logic here.

besides the availability of the case there is nothing but conjecture that the cases improved the 3gs in any way.

Doesn't matter, not really arguing anything here

ZZMitch

Interfectum said:
No way, it's hilarious.

Well maybe there were other factors that made him want to choose an Android device, this could just be one reason...

And nice, I made a grammar mistake, doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion, but thanks for pointing it out!

LCfiner

nib95 said:

Imo this is not enough.

they did touch on that. they fucked up the signal bar scale on the iPhone. well "fucked up" really means "we tried to make our phone look like it had better reception that it actually does"

so, with 4.0.1, you're only supposed to see the bar drop by 2 when you death grip it. your 5 bar signal on 4.0 is now likely 3 or 4 bars.

noah111

Still Alive
“Apple doesnt believe its possible at this point to create a smartphone that doesn’t have weak spots unless you make it so large that it wont fit in your pocket or your hand.”

I don't get why they can't just put the antenna on the top, basically have that seam on top instead of where you grip the device. Can anyone explain this to me?

DeathNote said:

Edit: wait, refund bumper until late sept?
Via Engadget.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Sentry said:
I don't get why they can't just put the antenna on the top, basically have that seam on top instead of where you grip the device. Can anyone explain this to me?
government regulations.

Nazgul_Hunter said:
My guess: Rev B. of the iPhone 4 will come out w no antenna issue and they just don't want people to hold off on buying it right now

Obviously. If anyone thinks Verizon and T-Mobile are going to carry an iPhone 4 with the same antenna issue, they're insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom