• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

SURGEdude

I've got a watch that is preparing to ship as well (38mm sport white band that I ordered 3:08) but they didn't send me an email about that one. Just the watch that there's been no movement on (ordered 3:04).

So I'm guessing this email is bad news. Apple's way of saying we're working on it but don't expect it Friday.

That's what I'm guessing. UPS has mine in their system (sitting in Mount Juliet, TN)and I didn't get the email. So I'm assuming the first round ones arriving on the 24th didn't get that letter.

Appleman

I ordered a 38mm SS w Black Sport a few days ago and I've been charged and it's preparing to ship despite having an estimate of late May....

...got the email above regarding my non-shipped 42mm same watch that I ordered at 3:04

What the hell.

SURGEdude

I ordered a 38mm SS w Black Sport a few days ago and I've been charged and it's preparing to ship despite having an estimate of late May....

...got the email above regarding my non-shipped 42mm same watch that I ordered at 3:04

What the hell.

I'm guessing they produced too many 38mm units and not enough 42 as far as the percentage of sales for pre-orders. I can't remember where I read somebody predicted it was like 75% 42mm models that were sold. But I think you got lucky with black since those seemed to go faster than white like mine.

I didn't get any email and my space gray sport has been preparing for shipment since later Monday.

I suspect you are safe then and will get it on Friday.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Haven't gotten an email for my 38mm Milanese Loop. It's been charged and is preparing for shipment...

I have a feeling the 42mm's are more in demand.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm thinking that the reason for this weird pre-order / online only architecture is that they are basically assembling the first units to order. As they had little way of estimating the relative demand of each SKU with any accuracy, they probably just stockpiled all the bands and bodies and have used the last two weeks to pack them up in boxes, applying correct pre-printed boxes / stickers for all of them.

Once they get a grasp on the relative demand of each SKU in each market we will start to see retail and overnight availability of pre-packaged SKUs.

subrock

Weird, was just able to track by reference and it says I'll get delivery on tuesday Apr 28th. That would be a bummer if that was the earliest delivery date.

SuperPac

I'm thinking that the reason for this weird pre-order / online only architecture is that they are basically assembling the first units to order. As they had little way of estimating the relative demand of each SKU with any accuracy, they probably just stockpiled all the bands and bodies and have used the last two weeks to pack them up in boxes, applying correct pre-printed boxes / stickers for all of them.

Once they get a grasp on the relative demand of each SKU in each market we will start to see retail and overnight availability of pre-packaged SKUs.

That is possible I suppose - but then they had data from after the Spring Forward event where you could mark models as "favorites." That was a month before pre-orders began. Even assuming that people picked out a couple favorites it doesn't fully explain why someone who ordered the same model I did after me is already shipping. *shrug*

SURGEdude

Learned something interesting on the Macrumors forums that you can check to see if your item is shipping very soon by going to https://supportprofile.apple.com/ If your watch is on it's way you should see it at the top of the list with it's serial number.

CDPbqvPUkAAUbWs.jpg

Image stolen from a user on MR.

DarkWish

Just got an email from UPS... my 42mm Stainless Steel Apple Watch with Milanese Loop arrives on Friday! Signing up for UPS My Choice comes in handy for getting notified of packages.

Sean

Banned

I think Apple just placed their bets on the wrong SKU's to be honest.

They seem to have been caught completely off guard with the popularity of the Space Gray Sport. If you look at their commercials and webpage they barely even acknowledge it exists, yet from all the unofficial polls and surveys I've read that single SKU appears to account for at least 40% of the total units sold. Meanwhile the green/blue bands which they're pushing heavily in all their promos seem to be complete flops.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My Apple Watch shipment just appeared on UPS My Choice calendar for Friday.

Bought 38mm sport white/silver. I ordered at like 1:30 AM PT and it was scheduled for June shipment.

finalflame

Bought 38mm sport white/silver. I ordered at like 1:30 AM PT and it was scheduled for June shipment.

38mm Aluminum/White Sport Band. Just got updated on UPS, scheduled for 4/24.

SURGEdude

They clearly massively overstocked the 38 sport white/silver since I too ordered one late and seemed to get put through before almost anybody else.

I think Apple just placed their bets on the wrong SKU's to be honest.

They seem to have been caught completely off guard with the popularity of the Space Gray Sport. If you look at their commercials and webpage they barely even acknowledge it exists, yet from all the unofficial polls and surveys I've read that single SKU appears to account for at least 40% of the total units sold. Meanwhile the green/blue bands which they're pushing heavily in all their promos seem to be complete flops.

This has been a trend recently. They completely miscalculated on the 5S gold demand, same for the 6Plus, and now the MacBook and Apple Watch.

Namikaze

My SG Sport just showed up in the UPS app and is being shipped via Next Day Air. Got my "will call" request in so I'm all set for Friday morning.

SURGEdude

Yeah I was just in an Apple Store tonight. They didn't even have a 42mm Space Gray Sport on display.

That seems to be one of the handful of white whales thus far. 2 stores I've been to didn't have them either and one that did everybody was on it's nuts.

So glad I have geek wrists and don't care about band color. Plus with the exchange of bands within 14 days thing I can ditch the white which I assume will get dirty and look like shit in a week.

subrock

oh, fucking derp. I just realized that my tracking by reference was returning me my charging cable and not actually the watch. Guess I just wait for word from Apple tomorrow.

Edit: and now the watch it showing up but no date attached

SURGEdude

UPS app just gave me a time window for the first time. 1:45-5:45 PM. I wasn't really expecting that before it even was picked up by them.

StillEdge

Sports Space grey 38mm ordered within 3 minutes of them going up got the second shipping date when I got the confirmation email. May 13-27 and it still just says processing. I was really hoping for mine to get bumped forward.

Slightly grumpy that people who ordered the most popular model - as I did - after me seem to be getting theirs dispatched, according to that Macrumors spreadsheet. Don't say it's in order if it's not, Apple!

My order page on Apple just updated to include a tracking number. It's being delivered from Harrisburg, PA.

Edit:

My watch also showed up on the support page.

SzJf8Qy.jpg

Sadly since I'll be out of town until Saturday this thing will just be waiting for me in my mail room.

Rayme

Nothing on the support page, but my 12:03am 42mm space gray order just changed to "Shipped" status w/ a tracking number.

;/ I hope this isn't true, my watch is not on here. And I have had preparing for shipment for a while now.

It's not working for everyone, and last I checked on the macrumors' forums basically everyone who is able to see this is in Canada.

My watched was charged this morning, switched to preparing for shipment, and marked as shipped with Friday delivery a few hours ago (tracking number and all), and nothing shows up for me on the support site.

As with all of the speculation so far, take it with a few metric tons of salt. No one really knows when or how Apple is shipping the Watches, and it shows. If you have a box at your door on Friday, you happened to be one of the lucky people that managed to order a Watch that Apple was able to manufacture and ship far enough ahead of the 24th to allow for release day delivery.

SURGEdude

My order page on Apple just updated to include a tracking number. It's being delivered from Harrisburg, PA.

Edit:

My watch also showed up on the support page.

SzJf8Qy.jpg

Yup mine just showed up on Apple's site as shipped too. Now I don't have to worry!

Gotta say I'm gonna kinda miss the amazing battery life on my Pebble though. Had it since the Kickstarter and it pretty much sold me on the Apple Watch.

SuperPac

Got charged for the 42MMSSBSB model about an hour ago. It's not showing as preparing for shipment yet but hey, maybe I'll have both my watches tomorrow after all (the one that's shipped already is my wife's).

Chittagong

Gold Member
OMG OMG OMG just got confirmation that my UK stainless steel 42mm with white sports band is arriving tomorrow!

*tears of happiness*

Based Steve

SuperPac

I got the Dear John letter for my wife's watch.

:(

She's going to be pissed that mine made it.

I got the Dear John / "We're working on your order" email too - but woke up to a charge on my cc for my watch. So... doesn't necessarily mean she's out of luck just yet.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
*bump* I don't think so, but every Apple delivery I've had with UKMail has come between 10:30 am- 12:30pm. I wish it was with DPD so you can watch your driver's van inch ever closer to you.

We're in the 11th hour and now I feel like I'm slipping from the majority of those who haven't seen any updates into the minority. Still nothing but processing for my 42mm SG. I haven't received one of those "Working on your order" emails though so maybe that is a good sign.

At this point I'm mostly irked at not knowing one way or another. I would like to know what's happening so I can plan when I need to be around to pick the bad boy up.

Top Bottom