• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

Lunchbox said:
cena's never turning heel

there were legions of kids smaller than that decked out in purple in the house show i went to last month. me and my friend stopped booing and chanting cena sucks/swallows after awhile cause we were getting teary eyed looks from all around us :(

I can understand not liking Cena, but how immature is it to pick on some kids. Let them be.

Kyoufu

Lunchbox said:

there were legions of kids smaller than that decked out in purple in the house show i went to last month. me and my friend stopped booing and chanting cena sucks/swallows after awhile cause we were getting teary eyed looks from all around us :(

Why would those kids stop cheering for him, stop buying his fruity pebble shirts, stop crying over him losing if he went heel?

Hall of Famers all had the same fans during their heel turns. Cena will be no different.

Lunchbox said:

+1 for looking out for the kids...

Im waiting for heel Cena....I have to go back to them Prototype days

Kyoufu said:
Why would those kids stop cheering for him, stop buying his fruity pebble shirts, stop crying over him losing if he went heel?

Hall of Famers all had the same fans during their heel turns. Cena will be no different.
They might stop buying Cena merch reason enough to keep him face.

I think Cena can be stale (it's not really his fault, it's his character). But I just don't see the WWE turning him heel.

Who's going to take his place and be the role model/kid demographic favorite (Rocker Morrison, Bland Daniel Bryan, Boop Boop Boop Kofi Kingston)?

No one on the roster except for Rey Mysterio fills that bill and he seems to be the Smackdown equivalent.

jmdajr

Orton tweet

RandyOrton- Btw does anyone know what Ken Shamrocks finish was? I believe Jack Swagger used ankle lock outta respect for Ken?

Final thoughts on 'Mania Weekend:

+Best Match of Mania was clearly Taker/Trips. With the condition both guys are in, I understand why they got all those crazy spots out of the way in the very beginning, but I felt the match suffered a bit from it. The beginning was a bit of a spotfest. The last half, except for the fact that we saw the pedigree too many times, was more or less pure awesome. That was early 90s Misawa v. Kawada-level selling there.

+If I had to pick a second-best match, I'd have to say it was Cody v. Rey. It surprised me. I've never really noticed Cody much, but he worked really well here, and actually covered for Rey where he seemed a bit off. Good job by both guys telling a compelling story even though nobody cared.

+I had to downgrade Orton v. Punk because Orton is so fucking slow in the ring. Otherwise, it would have been the runner-up Punk sells the hate.

+The Snookie feature was better than it had any right to be, being so short. Trish looked great, got a lot of her shit in, which looked better than it has at any point leading in, and Snookie hit her spots which didn't entirely suck. Fun for what it was.

-No Seamus v. Bryan sucked balls. Was really looking forward to some wrestling with my 'mania.

-The Dusty Finish in the Lawler match was stupid. You want this "feud" to continue, WWE? Nobody else does. Cole got too much shit in too.

-Double-count-out in the Main Event was even dumber. The Rock not really redeeming the double-count out with a meaningful restart didn't help either.

-All the skits. Horrible. Rock came out stumbling at the intro. Didn't get better. Leading the "I say Yabba" cheer was a point in the man's career I'm sure he'll want to forget.

-The match order sucked balls.

+Thank GOD for ROH's awesome iPPV this weekend. Two events for $20 was simply ridiculously-awesome, and the best money a wrestling fan could spend. I don't like to shill, but these guys deserve your money, so go and buy the replay if you missed it, especially if you like WORLD-CLASS tag matches. Haas and Benjamin, The Kings of Wrestling, The Briscoes, the All-Night Xpress, and the American Wolves were awesome. I especially appreciated the increadibly-passionate, bloody mess of a match by the Briscoes and the All-Night Xpress. Jay was wearing a crimson mask that must be seen to be believed. The womens' matches were all kinds of fun too. Serena Deeb and Daisy Haze both took SHOCKINGLY DANGEROUS early-90s-level headdrops from the Japanese women like champs. The women on that card did more spectacular stuff than 98% of the Wrestlemania card.

Kyoufu

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
They might stop buying Cena merch reason enough to keep him face.

They won't. Cena's rise to glory all started with his heel character you know.

Besides, even if they didn't buy his merch for a while, he'd gain more popularity from smarks who are like herp derp Cena is stale/boring/fruity pebbles which would result in more shirt sales in the long run! YEAH!

Cena should go heel and become dominant. If they have him lose/get decimated by has-beens like The Rock then that'll hurt him more than simply changing his character.

Am I the only one who felt like there were the pieces for a really good card, but everything was more jumbled than it needed to be? If you feel Santino has earned his spot on the card, why not pair him with Snooki? If you want to keep Money in the Bank as a separate PPV concept, why not make a ladder match for the US title?

I don't claim to be an expert at all, but it seems like you could have kept the same players and put together a much better card:

Kane/Big Show v. The Corre (Tag Team Championship)
Cody Rhodes v. Rey Mysterio
Randy Orton v. CM Punk
Sheamus v. Daniel Bryan v. Kofi Kingston v. Wade Barrett v. Christian (Ladder Match - United States Championship)
Michael Cole v. Jerry Lawler
Edge v. Alberto Del Rio (World Heavyweight Championship)
Taker v. Triple H
Snooki/Trish Stratus/Santino v. Dolph Ziggler/LayCool
The Miz v. John Cena (WWE Championship)

You could maybe find a sixth for the US Title match, and you'd have to trim some time from Cole/Lawler and EntranceMania, but that's a 4-hour show I'd feel happy spending $65 on.

Kyoufu

Hex said:
I wonder if he will have a run in with CM Punk due to the Twitter conversations lol

That would be very entertaining, but WWE would do the usual "come on RAW to drink beer in the ring and stunner people" shit.

It'd be a waste of time for CM Punk.

Hex

Banned
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is teasing an announcement for RAW tonight.

"Team Bring It - I have a very special announcement tonight on Raw," he wrote on his Twitter account. "The People's Champ to The People."

WWE is advertising The Rock to interact with WWE Champion The Miz and John Cena after his role in the finish of their match at WrestleMania 27.

Hex said:

"Team Bring It - I have a very special announcement tonight on Raw," he wrote on his Twitter account. "The People's Champ to The People."

WWE is advertising The Rock to interact with WWE Champion The Miz and John Cena after his role in the finish of their match at WrestleMania 27.

- Via Satellite

- Shut Up With Team Bring It

- I Aint Even There Bro

Hex said:

He's going to bring back kaval!!!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
jmdajr said:
Orton tweet

RandyOrton- Btw does anyone know what Ken Shamrocks finish was? I believe Jack Swagger used ankle lock outta respect for Ken?

I know he's joking but you don't joke about Ken Shamrock. That guy was absolute gold in WWE. His mic work consisted of screaming and freaking out--sort of Scott Steiner-lite.

jmdajr

Wrestling Wives Team Up For Reality Show
link

Multiple sources tell us the guys behind "Pit Boss" have teamed up with VH1 to produce a show which follows the wives of famous wrestlers -- and the pilot has already begun shooting in Houston.

Sources say Sharmell Sullivan-Huffman (Booker T's wife), Stacy Carter (Jerry Lawler's ex-wife) and Jackie Haas (Charlie Haas' wife) are the main focus of the show.

We're told the show will also be centered around WWE wrestler Booker T's wrestling school in Texas -- which Sharmell helps runs.

Get ready for some catfights!!!

Did you'll know about this?

f3niks

dream said:
hsolye.jpg

When GLAAD sensitivity training goes too far.

When I saw that i died laughing. Everyone at my party turned to each other and said that just didn't look right.

ReiGun

jmdajr said:
In Wrestlemania 2000 when Trips won, the end of the show was the Rock doing the people's elbow on Stephanie.
Was it? Interesting. So that thing last night was a reference or am I over thinking it?

I just googled Hass's wife. That's a strong lady.

alstein

Striker said:
I don't know why Swagger doesn't use the gutwrench anymore. I guess it is too 'weak'.

Aren't powerbombs banned? Other thing I can think of is Dr.Death taught Swagger, and that was the Doctor Bomb, which Dr.Death used as a finisher , so maybe he retired it when he died (Dr.Death had some awesome finishers).

alstein said:
Aren't powerbombs banned? Other thing I can think of is Dr.Death taught Swagger, and that was the Doctor Bomb, which Dr.Death used as a finisher , so maybe he retired it when he died (Dr.Death had some awesome finishers).

I don't think powerbombs are banned, but they're definitely used infrequently - I remember Bryan doing one a few months back. Death Valley Driver's are definitely banned though, and no one does the more dangerous looking suplex's or backdrop drivers any more.

ReiGun

Galvanise_ said:
You don't remember her? She won Tough Enough and was in the WWE and TNA for a while.
Oh shit that's her? Just found an older pic. Damn, I didn't even realize.

I'm so fuzzy on stuff I watched as a kid it's not even funny. lol

Linkhero1

♫ Ohhh written in the stars
A million miles away
A message to the main
Ohhhhhhhhh
Seasons come and go
But I will never change
And I’m on my way ♫

the_geche

I thought Wrestlemania was a good 6.5 out of 10.

I enjoyed Edge/Del Rio (but the ending was predictable-especially due to the placement of the match on the card), Cody/Rey, and HHH/Taker. Team Snooki vs heels ended up being much better than expected. The Corre/faces filler match was nice and quick as it should be. And I highly enjoyed both the Miz and Cena hype packages and entrances (except for the Miz's inflatable "Awesome'-which was corny). The majority of the time filler skits were corny as hell though and took away from my overall experience.

Another complaint was the Cena/Miz match itself didn't seem main event at Wrestlemania worthy. I kinda feel the whole 'big fight atmosphere' faded within seconds of them two locking up, which was kinda sad b/c everything prior to them locking up was very well done (except for those "Awesome' balloons). This was kinda due to the crowd who didn't really react to anything too much until Rock got involved at the end. I think that the Rock should have just came out as an special enforcer from the start and they could have kept the same ending but just remove the false countout finish-which was unnecessary.

Hex

Banned
WWE killed themselves with the way Mania was booked.
Everyone, even the mullet wearing unwashed "it's real to me" masses knew that the Rock was going to get involved in the end and that is just piss poor booking.
You do not overshadow your main event on your flagship ppv that blatantly.
They should have had HHH and Taker close the show.
TMZ has Snookie footage which is obviously more important to Vince than good product so he is otherwise oblivious to the suckfest that WM was.
The 8 man could have easily been a darkmatch and in fact could have easily been a lumberjack and turned into a Battle Royal much easier.
Just a poor show all around

megamerican

Haven't watched wrestling in years but caught some of WM last night mainly due to Rocky's return. Gotta say that the HHH / Undertaker match was excellent, everything else was pretty bleh. The main event wasn't actively terrible, it was just bland which is actually less entertaining than a terrible match.

I'm still intrigued enough that I might check out Raw tonight.

Kurt Angle is now claiming his Twitter was hacked and he didn't make the comments about people using his finisher. Some people don't believe him, such as CM Punk...

"my twitter account was hacked", is the new: "I'm a sloppy drunk douche".

bjork

Green Goblin said:
Wait, they let that Real World guy become a WWE superstar? LOL

I can't tell if I feel that's awesome or just hilariously bad. Its kinda both at the same time.

mind = blown

What's that got to do with anything? I still think Puck could've taken his shtick from the streets of San Fran right into ECW arena.

tralfazz

AnEternalEnigma said:
Kurt Angle is now claiming his Twitter was hacked and he didn't make the comments about people using his finisher. Some people don't believe him, such as CM Punk...

Punk is God is Punk. Hope he stays on RAW for a few more months as a house show is coming to the area and am seriously thinking of going. Would be my first event since '90 RR.

AnEternalEnigma said:
CM Punk proves that he is fucking awesome. Poor Angle lol

bjork

Spiderjericho said:
Honestly, everything is a cycle. So, right now it seems like the WWE is repeating the early, mid 90s. The main event was usually Bret Hart/Yokozuna and maybe someone randomly thrown in.

And back then, they didn't have anyone to take over the reigns left by the departure of Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan. Nor did they have Ricky Steamboat, Savage was on and off, etc.

I agree they should develop Rhodes, Ziggler, Morrison, Kofi, Barret (he was the top heel half a year ago), Daniels, etc.

It just seems like such shit now, but we'll all consume it.

Huh? Bret/Yoko was the main event for two PPVs over the course of two years. Technically a co-main event at WMX.

Linkified

Hex said:
WWE killed themselves with the way Mania was booked.
Everyone, even the mullet wearing unwashed "it's real to me" masses knew that the Rock was going to get involved in the end and that is just piss poor booking.
You do not overshadow your main event on your flagship ppv that blatantly.
They should have had HHH and Taker close the show.
TMZ has Snookie footage which is obviously more important to Vince than good product so he is otherwise oblivious to the suckfest that WM was.
The 8 man could have easily been a darkmatch and in fact could have easily been a lumberjack and turned into a Battle Royal much easier.Just a poor show all around

1)Thats all anybody cared about was Rock laying out Cena
2)They wanted to give those guys in the 8 man a wrestlemania pay day.

bjork said:
Huh? Bret/Yoko was the main event for two PPVs over the course of two years. Technically a co-main event at WMX.

Not sure what you're trying to say. I know they main evented Mania. The main event around that time was mainly Bret/Yokozuna then Shawn got thrown in the mix. It wasn't until years later when they had Austin, Rock, HHH and several other stars who you could consider a main event roster like Angle, Lesnar, etc.

At the moment, the well seems to be drying up, as we mainly get Cena and Orton.

They're trying with Miz, but it's not the same as Michaels/Hart/Yokozuna/Austin after the departure of Hulk Hogan to WCW and the waning of Hulkamania.

I'm not quite sure why they're not investing in their future by as some pointed out developing these newer stars in the mid card

and

their farm system, which seems a bit weak versus during the OVW era that produced Tista, Orton, Cena, etc.

They tried to make Dibiase into an entertainer with Marine 2, break away from Legacy, hot fued with Orton and he has just been buried because management doesn't have confidence in him. I'm glad to see Cody starting to break through a bit with the dashing/phantom of the opera gimmick.

dream

Hex said:

"Remember the time I told you I was never leaving again? GOTCHA YOU DUMB GULLIBLE UNEDUCATED FUCKS!"

bjork

Spiderjericho said:
Not sure what you're trying to say. I know they main evented Mania. The main event around that time was mainly Bret/Yokozuna then Shawn got thrown in the mix. It wasn't until years later when they had Austin, Rock, HHH and several other stars who you could consider a main event roster like Angle, Lesnar, etc.

At the moment, the well seems to be drying up, as we mainly get Cena and Orton.

They're trying with Miz, but it's not the same as Michaels/Hart/Yokozuna/Austin after the departure of Hulk Hogan to WCW and the waning of Hulkamania.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say either. How can the main event be "mainly Bret/Yokozuna" when that match happened twice, a year apart, with the two never crossing paths anywhere inbetween?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom