• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
RBH said:
67014pi.jpg
insert spongebob reaching for his wallet here

ElRenoRaven

antonz said:
Yep. Dude said that in the kitchen to her. If she wants to stick around she has to drop the whole im here for the experiance shit. Ice Bitch Michelle was just smart enough to pick that up and use it to cut a mean promo

Yup. She was damn smart to speak up and show that fight. She honestly seemed to want to be there so much more then either of the other two.

jobber said:
What IS your favorite match of all time?

My reply: Judgment Day 04 Eddie Guerrero/JBL tied with Jeff Harvery/Biketaker ladder match from Raw.

I'd get eliminated.
I'm with you on the ladder match. The commentary helped elevate the already great match.

The irony of all this is that WWE actively avoids hiring writers with any wrestling knowledge. If you asked a potential writer what their favorite match was and they said Melina vs. Alicia Fox, they'd get hired instantly.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. Decided to look up Michelle from the show. She's actually married to Johnny Fairplay. I did not know. Course I've never closely followed the stupid sob.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Professor Beef said:
What happened to you, man? You used to be cool.

Whoa, and a junior too.
Hey Musuko still cool! You pay later! Later!

Also, I became a member during the TrippleTaker match I think.

EDIT: since we're doing favorite matches, HBK-Austin, Wrestlemania 14.

Evening Musuko said:
Hey Musuko still cool! You pay later! Later!

Also, I became a member during the TrippleTaker match I think.
What a time to level up.

Damn, after thinking about the Hardy/Taker ladder match, I feel like popping in that ladder match dvd to see it again.

Penguin

Hmm

I guess would be Bret Hart/Stone Cold from WrestleMania 13

Or Three Stages of Hell with Stone Cold and HHH from NWO 2001

dream

Lost Fragment said:
DDP/Goldberg Halloween Havoc....1998?

Was that the one where they went off the air before the finish?

I think I secretly like any match with streamers involved.

Favorite match: El Hijo del Santo vs Ultimo Dragon, so many good memories of when I was a kid.

WWF/WWE match: Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle last man standing on Smackdown or Wrestlemania match, can't decide.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
dream said:
Was that the one where they went off the air before the finish?

I think I secretly like any match with streamers involved.

Not to my knowledge. It's the one where DDP reversed the jackhammer into the diamond cutter.

Anyone catch ROH tonight? That 6 man tag was awesome...

Best WM match? too hard to choose but WM 2000 with the triple tag team championship ladder match. Edge/Christian v Dudleyz v Hardys

Cena should be champion at next Rumble

Rock should return at Rumble and lose

Eliminate Cena at Elimination Chamber. Not a "suprise", but as a participant

Only way to rehype the match.

jobber said:
What IS your favorite match of all time?

Either Misawa/Hansen or DiBiase/Flair.

Misawa/Hansen because it really put Misawa over as a huge threat in AJPW - he'd beaten Jumbo, but Tsurta was ageing, Stan Hansen was a totally different matter and these two damn near killed each other in the course of this match. Then Hansen lay down for a Misawa lariat, the implication of which can't be overstated - this was a huge deal and gave Misawa all the credibility he ever needed.

Flair/DiBiase from Mid-South because it's the most perfect heel > face turn ever pulled off in wrestling. At the start of the night, DiBiase was one of the most hated heels in Mid-South, but by the end he had the whole arena chanting his name and was a babyface for life in the Mid-South territory. Flair was the NWA Champion and had defended the belt a number of times in Mid-South between '84 and '85, but said this would be his last title defence in Mid-South. The babyfaces started in-fighting for the right to face Flair, but Cowboy Bill Watts gave the title shot to Ted DiBiase who, although hated, had not received a title shot for well over a year. DiBiase comes out to a chorus of boos, but before the match can start babyface Dick Murdoch comes down and tells Teddy to take a back seat as he can't get the job done. Ted refuses so Murdoch clocks him out of nowhere and busts him wide open. Ted's taken to the back, while Flair celebrates not having to defend his belt ever again in Mid-South. Later in the show we're brought updates on the 'arterial laceration' suffered by Teddy. As the show progresses, it appears Ted's going to wrestle. Flair can't believe it, neither can Murdoch, or the fans. So when Teddy walks out to face Flair in the main event, the whole place goes wild chanting Ted's name - DiBiase and Flair proceed to have an awesome match that's cut short by Dick Murdoch interference who takes Teddy to the outside and gives him a brainbuster on the concrete. DiBiase is counted out, Flair laughs like a madman while the fans boo Murdoch. It's supposed to be a career ending injury, but DiBiase returns 3 months later after his tour of Japan and takes up the role of the top babyface in the company, feuding with Murdoch. A perfect heel turn for Dick Murdoch and a perfect face turn for Ted DiBiase, all accomplished in the space of 60 minutes. I'd like to see today's WWE creative team show a fraction of the booking skill displayed in Mid-South.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Evening Musuko said:
Nah, it is. IIRC they showed the whole thing the next night on Nitro.

Oh, yeah Wikipedia says you're right.

At Fall Brawl, Page won the WarGames main event, and got a World title shot against the undefeated Goldberg at Halloween Havoc. Page did not win the match,[1] but the match was voted WCW Magazine's "Match of the Year" 1998. Halloween Havoc ran slightly longer than expected resulting in a number of cable companies blacking out the end of the Hogan versus Warrior match and all of the DDP versus Goldberg contest. WCW decided to air the Goldberg versus DDP title bout in its entirety on the October 26 edition of Nitro, which proved immensely popular in the ratings and resulted in a ratings win for Nitro over Raw — the last win Nitro would ever have. Despite this setback in the World title picture, Page rebounded this same following night of Halloween Havoc, on the October 26 edition of Nitro, with a win over Bret 'The Hitman' Hart to capture the United States Heavyweight Title.

On that note, I'll never understand why Bret Hart was ever midcard in WCW.

Brinbe

Some great suggestions. I'm not sure what my absolute favs are, but thinking on it, besides the obvious like the Ironman match or Foley-Taker, I suppose I have a nostalgia thing for Intercontinental title matches held at Summerslam in MSG.

Perfect-Hart SS91
Trips-Rock Ladder Match SS98
Both different eras, but both have great action, great commentary with a great crowd in the perfect venue. Also, both non-main events, and a reminder of what this company was once capable of with their "lesser" title. Damn.

dream said:
If we're going to nerd out, I remember tape trading for a Steve Williams vs Kenta Kobashi match where the entire thing built up to one spot where Dr. Death kills him dead with a backdrop driver. That match has always stuck with me.

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBfBor6D950

That's an awesome match, the whole finishing stretch is crazy - Kobashi kicking out of the first backdrop driver was huge, then the place just goes nuts once they see he's still moving after taking a 2nd, sicker backdrop driver, then Steve Williams just kills him with the 3rd. Fantastic match, hell, pretty much any combination of Misawa/Kobashi vs the gaijins of that era made for a fantastic match.

Here's the full thing; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXWoDux066c

ElRenoRaven

Bootaaay said:
That's an awesome match, the whole finishing stretch is crazy - Kobashi kicking out of the first backdrop driver was huge, then the place just goes nuts once they see he's still moving after taking a 2nd, sicker backdrop driver, then Steve Williams just kills him with the 3rd. Fantastic match, hell, pretty much any combination of Misawa/Kobashi vs the gaijins of that era made for a fantastic match.

Ah Classic Dr Death. Reminds me of days gone buy. Watching that again makes me wish there would be a proper collection of his matches from Japan and the Mid South territory. He regularly had great matches.

dream

Bootaaay said:

It's pretty crazy how matches I used to wait weeks for to get in the mail are now so readily available.

The Japanese announcer going nuts and screaming "BACKDROP DRIVER!!!" was my favorite call in pro wrestling up until Jim Ross' "they've killed him!"

RBH

Off the top of my head, I'd say Ultimo Dragon vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. at WCW World War III 1996.

Ultimo just beat the shit out of Rey for 20+ minutes, and Rey took it all like a champ.

It is too hard for me to think of one single favorite match of mine.

However, one match I love watching is the Danielson/Aries 2/3 Falls match from RoH Testing the Limit in 2004. There is just something special about the way that match built up to that big submission spot that I absolutely love.

That match and the RoH 2004 Samoa Joe-CM Punk trilogy are matches I really enjoy watching with friends who have never seen them before. If I were to think of a few somewhat recent others I really loved I would say the first few Desmond Wolfe vs Kurt Angle PPV matches in TNA and the AJ-Joe-Daniels triple threat matches.

ZeroRay

As for my favorite match, Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat 2/3 falls match. Not much you can put on highlight reels from it but all the little things both men did added up to a perfect wrestling match.

Also have Stone Cold vs Hart WM13, Kobashi vs Williams, Misawa vs Kawada, Benoit/Jericho vs Austin/HHH, Misawa/Kobashi vs Kawada/Taue and Benoit vs Kurt Angle on the top of the list.

In more recent years my favorites are Kenta vs Marufuji at the end of '06, HBK vs Taker I and II, Samoa Joe vs Kobashi and HHH vs Benoit vs HBK.

Speaking of ROH, a few favourites of mine would have to be Aries ending Joe's title reign in ROH, the American Dragon/Paul London 2/3 falls match, the Low Ki match against Joe in his debut, Kobashi/Joe for obvious reasons and the Dragon/Nigel title unification match (even if those damn unprotected head shots to the turnbuckle post make me feel kinda ill).

dream said:
It's pretty crazy how matches I used to wait weeks for to get in the mail are now so readily available.

Seriously, it's mind blowing how easy the internet has made following wrestling. I kinda miss the tape trading days though, it'd be awesome getting a box through and having no real idea of what was on the tapes. I discovered so many promotions and wrestlers I would've never even heard of thanks to tape trading.

ZeroRay said:
Kenta vs Marufuji at the end of '06, Samoa Joe vs Kobashi

I loved those matches. Totally forgot about them. I need to watch them again.

Glory By Honor V - Night 2 is my favorite wrestling event of all time. Every match on the show is amazing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gamer98 said:
WHAT THE HELL ARE YALL DOING WATCHING WRESTLING! I'm just kidding I know a dude at work that watches religiously and we all pick on him alot for it.

Yeah man, I totally agree. I love shitting up threads about things I have no interest in too! :D

Not sure if its ever been on a Botchamania before (probably?) but I was just thinking about this earlier today when Bourne touched the rope with his foot then moved away before he tapped out.

I remember laughing my ass off about this sooooooooo much with my friends when we were younger, just the absurdity of it all was hilarious. Its like what is going on?? Why is the ref counting Hogan like he has leverage advantage?? lol. Then Sting just lets go for no reason lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mazEIAL3UWM#t=13m34s

Hogan must of been like wtf?

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom