• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galvanise_ said:
Its now my goal to get incredibly famous, enter the WWE as a heel celebrity (I'd cut some mean promos) and at EntertainmentMania, get the mic and say:

'I FUCKING LOVE WRESTLING. I GREW UP WATCHING WRESTLING AND AS MUCH AS THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE FOR ME, IN MY HEART OF HEARTS, I AM PAINED THAT THE WRESTLING CONTENT OF THIS COMPANY HAS GONE DOWNHILL. I CAN STOMACH PG CONTENT, BUT IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT THE ENTERTAINMENT THE WRESTLING BROUGHT TO THE TABLE, NOT COMEDY SKITS OR REALITY SERIES.

I MISS THE WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION. I MISS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING. I MISS EXTREME CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING.

I'd immediately be a face then.

Then recieve a HUGE Miz-esque push

out the door

Kusagari

Galvanise_ said:
Its now my goal to get incredibly famous, enter the WWE as a heel celebrity (I'd cut some mean promos) and at EntertainmentMania, get the mic and say:

'I FUCKING LOVE WRESTLING. I GREW UP WATCHING WRESTLING AND AS MUCH AS THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE FOR ME, IN MY HEART OF HEARTS, I AM PAINED THAT THE WRESTLING CONTENT OF THIS COMPANY HAS GONE DOWNHILL. I CAN STOMACH PG CONTENT, BUT IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT THE ENTERTAINMENT THE WRESTLING BROUGHT TO THE TABLE, NOT COMEDY SKITS OR REALITY SERIES.

I MISS THE WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION. I MISS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING. I MISS EXTREME CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING.

As soon as you end that promo the first thing we'll hear is Cole calling you a nerd.

I'm actually happy HHH is getting more power creatively. Its pretty telling that his first signing is an incredibly gifted and exciting technical wrestler with no relevant mic skills. Hopefully HHH puts the wrestling content first.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Galvanise_ said:

'I FUCKING LOVE WRESTLING. I GREW UP WATCH-'

Vince: CUT THE DAMN MIC!

Michael Cole: Ladies and gentlemen we apologize for the technical difficulties.

Fixed.

Evening Musuko said:

Yeah, what a swine he is.

Why is he so against being a wrestling company? Its like a baker being ashamed of baking bread.

It made you a billionaire you cock.

I actually wonder what Shane/Steph/HHH really feel about this.

Sanjuro

Parallax said:
so the 1 2 3 kid had his input. that makes this legitimate
Except the 1-2-3 kid had more tenure, talent, and was more liked than John "everything I say and do is boring" Nitro.

JdFoX187

Banned
Actually, Vince isn't a billionaire.

But Vince is trying to spread his company out and rely less on actual wrestling. But I don't see how he's going to do that since all he has is wrestling. Every venture he's tried to explore outside of professional wrestling has been an utter failure. XFL? One of the biggest and most extravagant business failures in American history. Movies? Has one ever made a profit despite millions of dollars pumped into marketing by WWE? Is there actually anything else he's done? To diversify, you actually have to go into other things. So far, he's tried his own professional football league and movies, and been a failure at both.

Just stick to what works.

JdFoX187 said:

But Vince is trying to spread his company out and rely less on actual wrestling. But I don't see how he's going to do that since all he has is wrestling. Every venture he's tried to explore outside of professional wrestling has been an utter failure. XFL? One of the biggest and most extravagant business failures in American history. Movies? Has one ever made a profit despite millions of dollars pumped into marketing by WWE? Is there actually anything else he's done? To diversify, you actually have to go into other things. So far, he's tried his own professional football league and movies, and been a failure at both.

You forgot WBF, man! Mmmm...beefy!

krae_man

JdFoX187 said:

Kanes Movie made money. It had a 8m budget and grossed like 16 million in theaters. Add in DVD rental and sales and that thing made some money. Ceners first movie probably made money too. After that? giant money sink hole.

Edit: Also, Trish got work done on her face and the work is terrible.

Galvanise_ said:
Why is he so against being a wrestling company? Its like a baker being ashamed of baking bread.

It's this myth that the traditional wrestling fan demographic doesn't exist anymore - they've all apparently become UFC fans, and while I think it's obvious that UFC is eating into WWE's business in a big way, I don't think all those fans that left over the past decade can be entirely attributed to that. Vince doesn't see money in wrestling anymore simply because what he's doing now and has been doing in recent years isn't working, while he blindly denies that today's product is any worse now than it was a decade or more ago - but that's where he should be looking, not to films and reality TV, but to wrestling, to improving his core product so he can reclaim the fans that no longer feel WWE is synonymous with wrestling.

jmdajr

JdFoX187 said:

I wouldn't go that far. How much money did he actually lose? The people in the league were not even getting paid that much.

Knox

Bootaaay said:
It's this myth that the traditional wrestling fan demographic doesn't exist anymore - they've all apparently become UFC fans, and while I think it's obvious that UFC is eating into WWE's business in a big way, I don't think all those fans that left over the past decade can be entirely attributed to that. Vince doesn't see money in wrestling anymore simply because what he's doing now and has been doing in recent years isn't working, while he blindly denies that today's product is any worse now than it was a decade or more ago - but that's where he should be looking, not to films and reality TV, but to wrestling, to improving his core product so he can reclaim the fans that no longer feel WWE is synonymous with wrestling.
You would think that the increased numbers that Rock is bringing in would be a clue that people liked the product of that era more than this one. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

jmdajr

Knox said:
You would think that the increased numbers that Rock is bringing in would be a clue that people liked the product of that era more than this one. Maybe that's wishful thinking.
The Rock era is the wrestling era? I guess. Some people think of it as the Jerry Springer era of wrestling. I remember the forums back in the late 90s. Hardcore wrestling fans were sick and tired of stone cold and the rock. They didn't like any of their matches. But they LOOOVED Triple H. Now of course everyone hates him, but that wasn't always the case.

How many awesome technical matches did we actually have?

JdFoX187

Banned
jmdajr said:
I wouldn't go that far. How much money did he actually lose? The people in the league were not even getting paid that much.
Vince contends that he didn't lose that much money, but some others say there was quite a bit sunk into the whole product. They spent several years getting it off the ground before a single game was ever aired on television. Not to mention sponsorships dried up, TV ratings dried up and stadium attendance dried up. The last game had a "respectable" amount of people, but it was still well below what they needed.

I would also venture to say the XFL hurt the WWE audience as well. But I don't have any facts to back that up. I just think that a lot of people saw the utter failure that was the XFL and saw it was associated with WWF/E and decided to distance themselves from that as well.

jmdajr said:
The Rock era is the wrestling era? I guess. Some people think of it as the Jerry Springer era of wrestling. I remember the forums back in the late 90s. Hardcore wrestling fans were sick and tired of stone cold and the rock. They didn't like any of their matches. But they LOOOVED Triple H. Now of course everyone hates him, but that wasn't always the case.

How many awesome technical matches did we actually have?
The IWC, and we're all just as guilty, hates anyone that gets insanely popular and is pushed to the moon, no matter what the means. I hate Rey Mysterio mostly because the man can't wrestle to save his life anymore, but also because he's pushed when other guys deserve it.

Look at the posts here. Everyone was clamoring for months for Miz to be champion. Now, no one wants Miz as champion. Who are the three most hated guys on WrassleGAF? Rey, Cena and Orton. Coincidentally, they're the three guys that get the most on-screen time and the biggest pushes. Edge used to be the great underdog that everyone in the IWC loved. Now, there's more complaints about how he's terrible than there are supporting him.

And look who gets the most love on here. Alberto Del Rio, who is being pushed but hasn't made it to the top. There's John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston, who haven't been given pushes. There's Christian, who is just as entertaining as Edge, but without the push. And the IWC loves them. It just loves to be contrarion.

Doesn't change the fact ratings are the worst they've been in years, PPV buys are down across the board, people are turning away in droves and the company is losing money.

Sanjuro

jmdajr said:
Pretty much. Going from the New Generation era with HBK, Bret, etc anything was an improvement.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
jmdajr said:

Yeah but the number of internet smarks are pretty small compared to the rest of the audience, especially back then. Plus the audience was much bigger during the Attitude Era so it shouldn't be that surprising more people are talking about the WWE now than last year.

sajj316

antonz said:
Well Maryse is the latest to join the Sensitivity training now lol
l

Did anyone else notice that Maryse was sitting with Miz during the HOF show? Maryse on the left and Stephanie on the right (I think).

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
JdFoX187 said:
Vince contends that he didn't lose that much money, but some others say there was quite a bit sunk into the whole product. They spent several years getting it off the ground before a single game was ever aired on television. Not to mention sponsorships dried up, TV ratings dried up and stadium attendance dried up. The last game had a "respectable" amount of people, but it was still well below what they needed.

I would also venture to say the XFL hurt the WWE audience as well. But I don't have any facts to back that up. I just think that a lot of people saw the utter failure that was the XFL and saw it was associated with WWF/E and decided to distance themselves from that as well.

The irony of it all is the fact ratings were good until Vince started tinkering with the rules and trying to turn up the raunch factor in response to a one week ratings dip.

So I was telling my friend about the Alicia Fox vs. Melina stuff on Tough Enough and he was all "What's your favorite match?" I gave it some thought and couldn't really pin it down to just one, but my top ten favorites in no particular order are:

Austin vs. Bret Hart - WMXIII
Austin vs. Dude Love - Over the Edge '98
Austin vs. HBK - WMXIV
Jericho vs. HBK - WMXIX
Jericho vs. HBK - Ladder Match - No Mercy '08
Mankind vs. HBK - Mind Games
Undertaker vs. HBK - WMXXVI
Cena vs. HBK - Raw from London - 4/23/07
Eddy vs. Angle WMXX
Edge vs Mick Foley - WMXXII

I used to list the main event of Wrestlemania XX in there, but I can't even watch that match anymore...

JdFoX187 said:
Look at the posts here. Everyone was clamoring for months for Miz to be champion. Now, no one wants Miz as champion.

I'm one of those guys who actually prefers The Miz with the strap as opposed to not having it. He's grown on me. I enjoy his mic work.

I still like Edge, but he's been put in less interesting stories and moments now that he has the belt.

But yeah, people flip flop their opinions quite a bit. At least I've been consistent with my opinion on Cena.

sajj316 said:
Did anyone else notice that Maryse was sitting with Miz during the HOF show? Maryse on the left and Stephanie on the right (I think).
Aren't they dating?

Speaking of Miz, does anyone else cringe every time they hear about someone getting a concussion now? All I can think about is what happened with ***** ****** and it freaks me out.

Edit: I like Miz as champion, but wish he was booked stronger. :/

JdFoX187 said:
Look at the posts here. Everyone was clamoring for months for Miz to be champion. Now, no one wants Miz as champion.

Because of the way he's been booked - I wanted Miz as champion, full well knowing he's not the best in the ring, and I felt a Miz title run could've been pretty good, but it the hands of WWE creative it's turned out to be anything but.

JdFoX187 said:
Who are the three most hated guys on WrassleGAF? Rey, Cena and Orton. Coincidentally, they're the three guys that get the most on-screen time and the biggest pushes.

Also the same 3 guys that work the most formulaic matches on the card and are booked to be super men. I have no problem with Cena, Orton or Rey being top guys, I just have a problem with the way their matches are worked and how they are booked.

JdFoX187 said:
And look who gets the most love on here. Alberto Del Rio, who is being pushed but hasn't made it to the top. There's John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston, who haven't been given pushes. There's Christian, who is just as entertaining as Edge, but without the push. And the IWC loves them. It just loves to be contrarion.

It's not about being contrary - those guys are popular with the internet fans because they can see their potential. The internet fans clamour to see guys like Ziggler or Kofi get a push because it's preferable to seeing the same handful of guys in the main event. Of course when they do get a push it just leads to disappointment when creative inevitably drop the ball.

sajj316

El Pescado said:
Aren't they dating?

Speaking of Miz, does anyone else cringe every time they hear about someone getting a concussion now? All I can think about is what happened with ***** ****** and it freaks me out.

Edit: I like Miz as champion, but wish he was booked stronger. :/

I guess they are .. didn't know. You learn something new everyday.

jmdajr

I would love a list of the Rock's best matches. Are any of them even as good as Stone Cold vs Bret Hart?

Personally the one I can remember being great was the Rock vs Triple H in a ladder match at Summerslam. Like wise, I dug his iron man match against Triple H also.

He's had memorable matches against Stone Cold, Kurt Angle...and an epic one with Hogan... but I would say most were serviceable. I'm not that picky really, I just don't think the attitude era was known as the era of great technical wrestling. It was the era of SMASH MOUTH wrestling.

Striker

Believe that Rock/HHH ladder match was for the IC title.

When the midcard titles meant something.

Watching older matches now. This isn't that old, but still great. Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle, so good.

jmdajr

Striker said:

Watching older matches now. This isn't that old, but still great. Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle, so good.

Yup, absolutely. It was really good.

akskiller said:
Welp, time to stop watching this.
Same, and really not to broken up about it anyway, I've been getting into UFC and now that I found out Shelton a.k.a one of my favorite wrestlers is in ROH I'll be watching those from now on.

I'll still come here when Raw is on though, I won't watch the show but the reactions and gifs should be hilarious.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
jmdajr said:
I'm not that picky really, I just don't think the attitude era was known as the era of great technical wrestling. It was the era of SMASH MOUTH wrestling.

The reason why the Attitude era is so well liked isn't because of the wrestling but rather it was because of great booking of not just the Main Eventers but the mid carders too. Back then people didn't just cheer for guys like Stone Cold or the The Rock, they also cheered for guys like Jericho, The Brood, The Radicalz and others. This is why people are so pissed at WWE right now for misusing the midcard guys and the belts because they're just used as filler.

JdFoX187 said:
The IWC, and we're all just as guilty, hates anyone that gets insanely popular and is pushed to the moon, no matter what the means. I hate Rey Mysterio mostly because the man can't wrestle to save his life anymore, but also because he's pushed when other guys deserve it.

Look at the posts here. Everyone was clamoring for months for Miz to be champion. Now, no one wants Miz as champion. Who are the three most hated guys on WrassleGAF? Rey, Cena and Orton. Coincidentally, they're the three guys that get the most on-screen time and the biggest pushes. Edge used to be the great underdog that everyone in the IWC loved. Now, there's more complaints about how he's terrible than there are supporting him.

Doesn't change the fact ratings are the worst they've been in years, PPV buys are down across the board, people are turning away in droves and the company is losing money.

I'm tired of this argument. Aside from complaining about The Rock and Stone Cold which I always thought was completely insane since they were putting on some damn entertaining television, every one of those other guys you mentioned as being hated because they were pushed are being hated for good reason.

Blasting someone to the moon, and constantly pushing him down our collective throats even though there are other people that could fill in main events spots even for 6 months at a time is the problem here. Orton, Cena, and Rey are superheros with boring ass gimmicks who always overcome the odds. Once in a while you get CM Punk, or The Miz beating them down for a change, but when the match finally happens, it's the same old crap all over again. They also wrestle boring matches while people in the mid card can put on show stealing matches in the same amount of time that the people with the major pushes get, yet they're held back. And even when someone entertaining like The Miz, or Jack Swagger, or Sheamus get pushed, they're neutered and turned into some pussy who can no longer win matches clean even though he was doing it for 5+ months before facing John Cena, or Rey, or Orton.

And Edge sucks in his current (non)gimmick. His strengths are his heel gimmicks, or when he's just being a brah with Christian. Right now, he's just some guy that hugs people before his match is over, and who's taking up valuable TV time where Christian and Del Rio could be putting on great matches.

jmdajr

Evening Musuko said:
The reason why the Attitude era is so well liked isn't because of the wrestling but rather it was because of great booking of not just the Main Eventers but the mid carders too. Back then people didn't just cheer for guys like Stone Cold or the The Rock, they also cheered for guys like Jericho, The Brood, The Radicalz and others. This is why people are so pissed at WWE right now for misusing the midcard guys and the belts because they're just used as filler.
That's fair enough to say. It needs work sure...

Penguin

Striker said:

And people point to something like that or Steamboat/Savage, but do you happen to know what became of the IC title after that match?

Triple H forfeited it after like a month due to injury.

Then Shamrock won it in a tourney, and then it bounced around like 50 different waists in the span of a year.

Its always easy to pick out the shining moments, but this isn't a new thing.

The midcard titles bounch back and forth in importance.

Has anybody gone to an Indie wrestling show solo before? ROH is coming to Toronto in May and none of my friends are wrestling fans. I can get pretty great seats almost at ring side. I have no problem going to events alone, but wrestling is very communal.

Evening Musuko said:

Exactly. Watching wrestling in the 90s and it is ridiculous to see how over everyone was. Not just the WWF but in WCW as well.

http://www.justin.tv/thestr0

Watch that. Jericho, Raven, Disco, D-Lo, Mark Henry, Val Venis, etc. For the most part, it didn't matter where they were on the card. The reactions were huge.

D-Lo was getting "D-Lo sucks" chants. You won't hear that for Ziggler or Ryder.

RBH said:
Where did that Morrison/Melina story come from?

I've only found it on second-hand sites, and Meltzer kind of shot down the story on the Observer message boards:

PWTorch and Xpac seem to be the sources.

canadian crowe said:
Has anybody gone to an Indie wrestling show solo before? ROH is coming to Toronto in May and none of my friends are wrestling fans. I can get pretty great seats almost at ring side. I have no problem going to events alone, but wrestling is very communal.

I've been to a few events here in the UK on my own and had a blast - I always get the impression that the ROH crowds are generally pretty friendly and Toronto is one of the better crowds judging from what I've read. I'd suggest signing up for the ROH forums, they usually organise fan gatherings for most of the shows so you could meet up a with a bunch of like-minded wrestling fans beforehand.

Bootaaay said:
I've been to a few events here in the UK on my own and had a blast - I always get the impression that the ROH crowds are generally pretty friendly and Toronto is one of the better crowds judging from what I've read. I'd suggest signing up for the ROH forums, they usually organise fan gatherings for most of the shows so you could meet up a with a bunch of like-minded wrestling fans beforehand.

Thanks. The tickets were only $20, so if I decide not to go I'm not out much. I'm 6th row from the ring, so I have pretty awesome seats. Hopefully Corino will be there.

Striker

Penguin said:
And people point to something like that or Steamboat/Savage, but do you happen to know what became of the IC title after that match?

Triple H forfeited it after like a month due to injury.

Then Shamrock won it in a tourney, and then it bounced around like 50 different waists in the span of a year.

Its always easy to pick out the shining moments, but this isn't a new thing.

The midcard titles bounch back and forth in importance.
At least they were used on TV and on PPV's - nowadays we can't even get that.

atomsk

Party Pooper
the more I read about the Matt Hardy situation, the more I think maybe he just thought the buffet was all you can eat, and that's why he got banned from the hotel

26890_384x288_generated__UzTLAi6C-0i6OK2RviKHdg.jpg

Penguin

Striker said:
At least they were used on TV and on PPV's - nowadays we can't even get that.

The US title/champion has been on TV almost every week for the last two months.

And the IC championship was a huge focal point on Smackdown at the end of last year...

Barrage

Galvanise_ said:

I've seen that exact promo many times from numerous TNA wrestlers. You know, the ones perpetually in the midcard who dont draw a dime (Example: Rhyno).

jmdajr

Penguin said:
The US title/champion has been on TV almost every week for the last two months.

And the IC championship was a huge focal point on Smackdown at the end of last year...

IC title list since 2005

103 Carlito
104 Ric Flair
105 Shelton Benjamin
106 Rob Van Dam
107 Shelton Benjamin
108 Johnny Nitro
109 Jeff Hardy
110 Johnny Nitro
111 Jeff Hardy
112 Umaga
113 Santino Marella
114 Umaga
115 Jeff Hardy
116 Chris Jericho
117 Kofi Kingston
118 Santino Marella
119 William Regal
120 CM Punk
121 John "Bradshaw" Layfield
122 Rey Mysterio
123 Chris Jericho
124 Rey Mysterio
125 John Morrison
126 Drew McIntyre
127 Kofi Kingston
128 Dolph Ziggler
129 Kofi Kingston
130 Wade Barrett

So how do we view the title? In the Golden Age the IC champ hardly ever become WWE champion. The people who got the belt were just over. It's not like everyone on the list is not over, or has some heat.

Barrage said:
I've seen that exact promo many times from numerous TNA wrestlers. You know, the ones perpetually in the midcard who dont draw a dime (Example: Rhyno).

It would go over better (with the fans) at EntertainmentMania like I pitched in my dreams. I'd have the anti-Cena crowd on side straight away and if they cheered me as much as they boo him, I'd be the most over face in their eyes. I'd get the crap kicked out of me backstage, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom