• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any good western rpgs on PS2?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
What pops into mind is Wizardry and Might and Magic. Quality though, I'm unaware.

I would assume the Xbox's closeness to a PC being part of if.

pcostabel said:
Are there any good western RPGs?

Now now, I'm a big advocator of Eastern RPGs (see my Fable folly) but even I can admit there are quality western RPGs.

Summoner 2 is a fairly good game, huge improvement over the first one. If you include hack-and-slash RPGs, Dark Alliance is great, and Champions of Norrath is fun but has problems.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Doom_Bringer said:
KOTOR is the best RPG so far this generation.

Calm down boys. We all know KOTOR sucks but Western RPGs are better than Eastern.

jarrod

Banned
This is what GameFAQs has listed...

-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
-Bard's Tale, The
-Champions of Norrath: Realms of EverQuest
-Champions: Return to Arms
-Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse
-Drakan
-Dues Ex
-EverQuest Online Adventures
-EverQuest Online Adventures: Frontiers
-Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
-Future Tactics: The Uprising
-Gladius
-Legend of Alon D'ar, The
-Lord of the Rings, The Third Age, The
-Might and Magic: Day of the Destroyer
-Summoner
-Summoner 2
-X-Men Legends

....The PS2 Wizardry games were all made in Japan afaik.

RevenantKioku

Doom_Bringer said:
KOTOR doesn't suck, Xenosaga sucks.

Mayhaps you'd like to read my post again, and try smiling. :D

Hey whatever, I completed Xenosaga but dropped KOTOR a bit after you chose your saber and that shit. Was like replaying Baldur's Gate with Star Wars influence, and I've had enough BG and SW in my lifetime.

RevenantKioku said:
Mayhaps you'd like to read my post again, and try smiling. :D

Hey whatever, I completed Xenosaga but dropped KOTOR a bit after you chose your saber and that shit. Was like replaying Baldur's Gate with Star Wars influence, and I've had enough BG and SW in my lifetime.

you are nuts. :)

Catchpenny said:
Summoner 2 is a fairly good game, huge improvement over the first one. If you include hack-and-slash RPGs, Dark Alliance is great, and Champions of Norrath is fun but has problems.

The first one was awesome. The only real drawback was the draw-in. The story, combat, and gameplay was otherwise top notch. I got it on launch day and played it wayyy more than SSX or Madden.

And it had one of the best easter eggs known to modern man. :D

RevenantKioku

Doom_Bringer said:

I think I might as well throw in a "Fable blows ass chunder" while I'm here. :D

I recommend you Western haters going out and picking up the Fallout 1 & 2 collection for $10. It wasn't my cup of tea, but it had a lot of interesting shit going for it. And you could always just kill a few hookers with your lesbian gunslinger and then run around on the map killing guys for an hour or two. More fun than Halo.

PS2 Wizardry is of Japanese origin, but plays like Wizardry 1-3. Most of the "western RPGs" on PS2 are weak Diablo clones or are just plain bad. I recommend King's Field: The Ancient City. It's a great Japanese-developed Ultima Underworld-alike with wonderful atmosphere.

Gattsu25

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

He's right about it feeling a lot like (severaly dumbed down) BG, though I guess you'd have to play such greatness to know what you are missing. Compared to BG2, KOTOR is a simplistic game that survives merely off the Star Wars influence. Still, that's not quiet fair, as BG2 was never released on consoles

Edit: not trying to downplay KOTOR as much as I am trying to express my opinion (err..fact) that it's a similar game to Bioware's Baldur's Gate II only with a lot of what BG2 so damn good taken out and star wars references thrown in

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jonny said:
they both suck

This is the right answer.

anyway, youve got a pc. there are a crapload of decent (although i dont play pc games so i cant tell you ) western rpgs to get.

RevenantKioku

jiji said:
PS2 Wizardry is of Japanese origin, but plays like Wizardry 1-3. Most of the "western RPGs" on PS2 are weak Diablo clones or are just plain bad. I recommend King's Field: The Ancient City. It's a great Japanese-developed Ultima Underworld-alike with wonderful atmosphere.

I've eyed this up on occasion. You've mentioned it plays like Wizardry 1-3 but I've never had the experience. Got any opinions on the game? Since well that is what the thread is about.

sp0rsk said:

anyway, youve got a pc. there are a crapload of decent (although i dont play pc games so i cant tell you ) western rpgs to get.

This thread is about PS2 not PC. And I don't really play that many Pc games just like you don't (mostly use it for battlefield 1942)

Shompola

Banned
sp0rsk said:

He's clearly asking about PS2 games! Learn to read.

RevenantKioku

Doom_Bringer said:
This thread is about PS2 not PC. And I don't really play that many Pc games just like you don't (mostly use it for battlefield 1942)

Yeah, but seriously man, I think you're better off looking in Miss Spear's vagina for virginity. (Lordy bring me back to 1997!)
Most PC RPGs don't have crazy ass specs either, and you can find a shit ton of them in the $10 bins.

RevenantKioku said:
I've eyed this up on occasion. You've mentioned it plays like Wizardry 1-3 but I've never had the experience. Got any opinions on the game? Since well that is what the thread is about.

I wanted this game so badly for the longest time, but the damn thing NEVER dropped in price below $29.99 for over two years. I'm sure it must have by now, but I remember being so PISSED about that. It sold like crap, but they stuck to MSRP.

RevenantKioku said:
It's well-made and the art is quite nice, and the bleak atmosphere is very effective. A good comparison would be Shining in the Darkness or Shining the Holy Ark. They play very similarly, but Wizardry: TFL has a single town on top of a huge dungeon. The encounters got on my nerves before too long, as I have a pretty low tolerance for random or semi-random ones. The encounters aren't random - you can see monsters milling about and can avoid them if you're quick - but monsters respawn so often that they might as well be random. It's pretty fun overall, so I recommend it if you like dungeon crawling and character-building. There is a story, but don't expect it to take you for a ride.

RevenantKioku

On a completely moronic thought, I wonder how "Japanese" Shin Megami Tensei 3 could be considered, despite the fucking obvious.
Just saying as playing the original brought me memories of playing Bard's Tale. Although I'm not too sure how the battles have shifted into the third game.

sonycowboy said:
The first one was awesome. The only real drawback was the draw-in. The story, combat, and gameplay was otherwise top notch. I got it on launch day and played it wayyy more than SSX or Madden.

I'll admit, I was going on word of mouth and reviews regarding the first Summoner. Plus, I've never played a launch RPG that was any good. Maybe I've been missing out, though, and the second game was certainly fun.

Just did a search to see what the easter egg was. That sounds hilarious! I'll have to see if the clip is online somewhere.

Alex

I dig a lot of western RPG's, although my roots are primarily in the more niche of JRPG's.

That said. I could never love KOTOR. The unholy, ultimate nerd marriage of D&D and Star Wars is simply too much for me to handle. That and nothing about the game was that special or well done. :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Doom_Bringer said:

this bees my point man, if ya interested in the western rpgs theres no power greater than PC.

Gattsu25

Banned
The thing about KOTOR is that you need to constantly keep track of your AC, To Hit rolls, and Will/Saving/Fortitude throws...it's really not that complicated once you get that down

Alex said:
I could never love KOTOR. The unholy, ultimate nerd marriage of D&D and Star Wars is simply too much for me to handle.

nerd marraige of D&D and Star Wars? The fuck are you talking about? :b

Alex

The style of D&D gameplay systems they lifted from Baldurs Gate, and mixed with a Star Wars theme.

Mrbob

This thread is a train wreck.

I'll toss my hat into the ring and vote for Anachronix, even though I consider it more of an action/adventure game than true RPG. But you move around to different places and level up.

Alex

Sorry for the end remark, I read half your post, and half another...I need more sleep.

I don't think it's that complicated, espically not with the games I usually play. I simply don't typically care for the style. I did love Baldur's Gate 2 though, and put aside my petty disdain for it, but mixing it in with Star Wars, I hate Star Wars more than anything.

I fell asleep during the second movie in original triology and never finished it, that's all I can really say for my opinion on Star Wars.

RevenantKioku

Mrbob said:
This thread is a train wreck.

I'll toss my hat into the ring and vote for Anachronix, even though I consider it more of an action/adventure game than true RPG. But you move around to different places and level up.

BZZZT! PC game

Alex

It is indeed for PC, although everyone on Earth can probably run it. It runs on the Quake II engine, does it not?

That said, I've never played it. :(

RevenantKioku

Alex said:
It is indeed for PC, although everyone on Earth can probably run it. It runs on the Quake II engine, does it not?

That said, I've never played it. :(
<- Mac user

Although I do own it. You can have it if you want. We can use the trade thread!

jiji said:

Come on Uncle Jiji! Tell us of another RPG!

Fallout 2, the heir apparent of the graphical Wasteland I had always wanted. Yes, even more Fallout 1.

KOTOR got bonus points for being tied in with Star Wars, and it was the first Star Wars game that didn't suck ass this generation.

Top Bottom