• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Western Games Suck Now" ... or do they?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Wasn't this meant to be a thread proving games are good 🤣

Could've at least put actual good indie games like animal well
Well like I said at the bottom, I could literally list dozens and dozens of these games. I just had to stop out of practicality. I haven't played Animal Well yet but I hear good things.

It doesn't have to be just indies either. Robocop, Trepang2, the list is literally impossibly long.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I wonder what the gameplay loop is like? It's on Gamepass, so I might try it eventually.

I think there are plenty of decent western indie games, but many lack the oomph of the games that I've played throughout my life and long for in games.
The two best western indie games I've played are Celeste and Nobody Saves the World. Both of them had the same feel of a well-polished Japanese-developed game the likes of something Nintendo is known to put out.
I loved Nobody Saves The World, had a great weekend playing that when it first came out. Drinkbox did a great job with Guacamelee too...actually all of their games have been very good imo (I didn't play severed).

Any "_______ sucks now" type of sentiment or dismissal is either based on true dissatisfaction, or laziness to actually search for good games. I partially (*fully) agree with you that there are a lot of people in that latter category.
9 times out of 10 it usually comes down to laziness, and some of it comes down to jadedness or other factors of personal life.

Some of this comes from the same people who would have gladly taken a trip to their local blockbuster in the 90s to browse a ton of games for a while to select 1 or a few at a time. Now they can’t even be bothered to do the same digitally, instead thinking it all needs to be spoonfed to them, because every other site with an algorithm does the same thing.

It doesn’t help that there are daily grifters earning good money by telling them the sky is falling on a regular basis.

sigmaZ

I loved Nobody Saves The World, had a great weekend playing that when it first came out. Drinkbox did a great job with Guacamelee too...actually all of their games have been very good imo (I didn't play severed).
Oh, I didn't realize they are the same team that made Guacamelee. I might have to try that out. That's the metroidvania one, yeah?

You know the industry is in bad shape when people try to cope with indie games. Been the same spiel for like 20 years now. None of the games in the OP will be remembered by the end of this decade. Look at how Braid was considered some kind of masterpiece during a time when nothing else with colours was available on Xbo360, but now Jonathan Blow is whining that the remaster sold "like dogshit" and it's gonna bankrupt him - the game left zero impact. People sugarcoated their Vitas and WiiUs with oh-so-creative indie games when they had nothing else but you couldn't name a single one of those titles anymore. Hit me with all your LOLs and brain-likes, but you know very well that you wouldn't want to play any of the games in the OP if the rest of the Western output wasn't such trash right now.

Thankfully I as a weeb I can't complain ever since 2016 or so. Let the Western industry burn, it has been reduced to absurdity.

Last edited:

Holammer

People need to play more games. You’re doing yourself a disservice if you only part attention to the AAA games Ubisoft, EA, and Sony puts out.
meh

These are all indie tier trash

MtZ9N.gif
'

For the record, I'm with Loomy on this one.
If you want to play Triple A exclusively and argue about which version is best in the Digital Foundry YT comments, you do you.

Punished Miku

MtZ9N.gif
'

For the record, I'm with Loomy on this one.
If you want to play Triple A exclusively and argue about which version is best in the Digital Foundry YT comments, you do you.
Ironically, I think he actually played Jusant and Cocoon and loved both of them. Oh well. Some of the responses here just make me even more happy that I made this thread. I think this sentiment is often just orthodoxy at this point, and people repeat it without even thinking. My favorite thing to challenge.

Ironically, I think he actually played Jusant and Cocoon and loved both of them. Oh well. Some of the responses here just make me even more happy that I made this thread. I think this sentiment is often just orthodoxy at this point, and people repeat it without even thinking. My favorite thing to challenge.

I did enjoy those games but most indies aren’t worth it imho

I certainly don’t think they substitute for bread and butter AAA tentpole releases

It’s like a nice appetizer instead

Fbh

Gold Member
You forgot the core logic behind all the " western gaming is doomed" threads.

"I ignore games that don' have top of the line production values and graphics and don't offer at least 35+ hours of content"
but also
"Gaming sucks and why are all these games so safe and samey and why does no one take risks?!?!?!"

OP forgot to mention Baldurs Gate 3

Arguably one of the best games ever made

Plus, I don't think Western games are all that bad

Yeah it's not only smaller games.
While I do personally prefer Japanese games we still occasionally get stuff like Baldurs Gate 3 which is great. Later this year Stalker 2, Kingdom Come 2 and Space Marine 2 all look great too IMO
And one of my most anticipated games right now, Expedition 33, is also by a western dev.

Neon Xenon

Even in the middle of certain writing trends and design trends in Western media (not just games) that I've become extremely tired of, things that can and should be criticized, I'm still not going to write off Western games as a whole. Because doing so wouldn't be fair to the Western games that don't follow those trends or make those mistakes and the people who work on them and are producing things that are actually cool and fun. Look for something that isn't from a big publisher or developer.

Dismissing an entire region of games isn't some revelatory, brilliant statement — it's something Phil Fish did. Don't be like Phil Fish.

(Don't be Phil Fish, either. That helps.)

People need to play more games. You’re doing yourself a disservice if you only part attention to the AAA games Ubisoft, EA, and Sony puts out.
100%. This is a big point I agree with. It really can't be said enough that people should go play more games.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I see this sentiment a lot on here, and to some extent it's obvious why. If you mostly follow the big tentpole releases from major publishers, I could see how you could convince yourself this is the truth. But as someone who mostly has preferred Japanese games for the vast majority of my playtime for decades, I feel compelled to stand up for western gaming now more than ever. It's just inaccurate to try and pretend that there's no good western games, no gameplay diversity, no new IP. In reality, there's honestly more creativity coming from the west currently than anytime I can recall.

If you're an developer of middling talent, you can go work for a big publisher and take yoga classes and take 4 weeks to do a programming task that takes normal people 45 minutes. But if you're an actually talented developer, you likely have set out to make your own indie studio because here you can actually put out new IP and make whatever you want.

Japan barely has an indie scene. It's 99% western teams making these games. And while Japanese games are great, it's not like they are making new IP non-stop either right now. I can't help but feel like people are just sticking their heads in the sand and completely mischaracterizing what is happening right now. SQEX cranks out remakes and the same IP. Capcom cranks out remakes and the same IP. From Software is working on Demon's Souls 11.

When someone writes that "western games suck," I think that literally all they see is stuff like Concord, Saints Row, I don't even know what else. In reality, this is what western gaming looks like right now. You're getting more genre diversity than anywhere, more new IP, more varied art styles than ever before.

Dungeons of Hinterberg (Austria)

dIyOLrJ.gif

CYGNI (Scotland)

apps.11269.13908751626097965.870a1eb0-d0a8-458a-b005-940e30b98504.9d378f06-b918-42a1-8ecb-3a698d1bdba5

Flintlock (New Zealand)

dnLwbNn.png

Solar Ash (US)

JNqpjun.gif

Cookie Cutter (England)

ClztPrc.jpeg

Demon School (US)

C6TEz9D.jpeg
uoL89BY.jpeg

Jusant (France)

Jq9uY91.gif

I could literally keep going and list hundreds of these. Lamplighters League, Worldless, Laika, Still Wakes the Deep, Prince of Persia, Pentiment, Citizen Sleeper, Immortality, Sea of Stars, Cocoon and on and on and on. This is probably the best time to be into western games literally ever.
Well this is all great. I plicked up Cygni and plan on picking up Flintlock and Dungeons of Hinterburg. I also picked up Steamworld Heist 2 (Sweden) and Cat Quest 3 (Singapore). But with the poor state of AAA publishers and wanting AAAA games and GAAS.....with rising costs, bigger scope and longer development time, it's going to be these types of games which will dominate the videogame space now and going forward. With some big AAAA sequels and more of the same crap sprinkled in.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
This. Back then Japanese games were of high quality for sure, but there wasn't a lot of variety. From Western devs we would get many interesting and creative games. On the MegaDrive alone (for example), if you look at Western games, you get super interesting and original games and engines. I will list a few ones.

Desert Strike series
Dune on Sega CD
Dune II on MD
D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Both Ecco games
Sub Terrania
Road Rash series
The Haunting
Worms
Core Design games, for example Thunderstrike
Zombies ate my neighbour
and many more...
I miss the Strike series.

Did you mean Thunderhawk series rather than Thunderstrike?

Roberts

This got me thinking about countries that are not very well known for making games. We are seeing a lot of emerging voices in gaming that makes me happy. Right off the bat I came up with:

Disco Elysium (Estonia)
The Case of the Golden Idol (Latvia)
Scorn (Serbia)
Blasphemous (Spain)
Signalis (Germany)

GymWolf

Gold Member
Except for the forced woke shit (and japanese games are starting to get on the train aswell) i value western games as much as japanese games tbh.

Punished Miku

This got me thinking about countries that are not very well known for making games. We are seeing a lot of emerging voices in gaming that makes me happy. Right off the bat I came up with:

Disco Elysium (Estonia)
The Case of the Golden Idol (Latvia)
Scorn (Serbia)
Blasphemous (Spain)
Signalis (Germany)
Atomic Heart (Russia)
Worldless (Spain)
Laika (Spain)
Balatro (Canada)
Robocop (Poland)
Nobody Wants to Die (Poland)
The Invincible (Poland)
Kingdom Come 2 (Czech Republic)

List is endless really. Exciting times for new ideas to emerge.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I could literally keep going and list hundreds of these.
To paraphrase the other thread on how a lot of people ignore these:
The other thread said:
sorry, but I just don’t think indie studios are prepared to take up the mantle of making “professional-quality games”
Basically they're dismissed before even looking at them because they're not big-name or big-budget (or both).

But yea - there's never been more variety and quality of new games than now, people saying they don't exist are just willfully ignoring the market at large.

Although for the record - Jussant DID kind of suck, but that's just the one exception that proves the rule. :p

Last edited:

Roberts

Atomic Heart (Russia)
Worldless (Spain)
Laika (Spain)
Balatro (Canada)
Robocop (Poland)
Nobody Wants to Die (Poland)
The Invincible (Poland)

List is endless really. Exciting times for new ideas to emerge.
A few more:

Far: Changing Tides (Switzerland)
Disc Room / Blazing Chrome (Brazil)
Coffee Talk (Indonesia) - Ok, not western but I was 100% sure it was developed in NA or Europe.
Kerbal Space Program (Mexico)
new version of Lords of the Fallen (Spain and Romania)

Raziel

First party and indie feel like their own categories.

Third party feels dire outside of a WRPG or Rockstar game that releases once every 4 years.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They have had a rough last couple of years. Hellblade 2, Starfield, Suicide Squad, Avatar, Alan Wake 2, Redfall, and several other western games have been mediocre at best, awful at worst. Indie games are not what most people play or want to play. Mentioning them as things people should play when people simply dont have any interest in those genres makes no sense.

There have been some great ones recently though. BG3, Helldivers 2, Spiderman 2, Star Wars Jedi Survivor and GOW Ragnorak are fairly decent games. But they are the exception not the norm. Sony studios led the way for many years in the PS3 and PS4 gen, and they have kind of dropped the ball this gen which is why the sentiment that western games are bad is worse than before. When the most celebrated publisher takes a hit, its bound to create a chasm. Something MS studios and third parties like EA, Ubisoft and Activision failed to fill.

Meanwhile, japanese studios have been fairly consistent. RE4, Zelda BOTW, Elden Rings, Armored Core, Dragons Dogma 2,Final fantasy 16, FF7 Rebirth (Though i hate this game personally) have all been received rather well compared to other western games.

I think people are just waiting for a true AAA experience from their favorite developers. I dont care what anyone says, people like what they like and they like Rockstar games, Naughty Dog games, Bioware RPGs, Elder Scrolls games, GOW games, Fable, Tomb Raider, Max Payne games, and well most Sony first party single player games. once they start coming out next year and are even a least bit competent like GOW Ragnorak and Spiderman 2, no one is going to care about Japanese games other than some Nintendo fans who really like their own favorite franchises and the anti-western sentiment will improve.

Last edited:
The state of this thread . Western developers have already made some of the best games this and last gen.

Unlike the myth too, they've always made amazing games even in the so called glory days of the consoles in the 80s and 90s

Pejo

Gold Member
So OP, what makes the games you listed in the OP good? A random 2 second gif or a splash screen doesn't convince me for any of them.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Japanese for the AAA side and western for the indie side. Not always of course. The mentality can be a big problem on the west side. Case in point FEZ developer.

I’ve always preferred Japanese/Asian games over Western games because I feel the gameplay, art style, creativity, designs and fun factor are generally superior. Admittedly there are good Western games as well, but I think the main issue a lot of people have is mostly from the AAA space that garners so much attention. AAA Western gaming is typically risk averse, safe and concentrate too much on things like identity politics, GAAS, etc imo. I like most indie games I play from all regions, but admittedly there are so many that I think many of them get lost of the shuffle.

Last edited:

Hudo

What is lacking are good new RTS games. And no, Stormgate ain't it.

Unfortunately, Japan has never even bothered to really try with RTS games even though Technosoft have made Herzog Zwei, which can be considered a proto-RTS of sorts.

Guilty_AI

What is lacking are good new RTS games. And no, Stormgate ain't it.

Unfortunately, Japan has never even bothered to really try with RTS games even though Technosoft have made Herzog Zwei, which can be considered a proto-RTS of sorts.
I think the issue with RTSs is that the old collection is already so vast with so much players and community content behind them that it's extremely hard to make something to surpass them today. And the way these games can be just played for as long as you want means fans will just keep playing what they know.

Last edited:
It's more like western AAA suck at the moment. Indies are a different thing.
Pretty much. Especially American AAA aside from Rockstar. They are just chugging out soulless, rehashed asset games with different texture over and over for that quarterly board meeting.

Larian is western and they just set the new bar with RPG.

Last edited:

Hudo

I think the issue with RTSs is that the old collection is already so vast with so much players and community content behind them that it's extremely hard to make something to surpass them.
That might be true. I mean, Microsoft are handling the Age of Empires/Mythology IPs fairly well, imho. Tempest Rising looks interesting (to me). Homeworld 3 was a fucking disappointment...
I feel what killed RTS games off was the over-fixation on e-sports and balacing the games to the extreme, thereby removing all the fun. Most RTS games that were and remained successful had a good single-player mode and were designed not primarily with e-sports in mind. That doesn't mean they weren't balanced. They were. Just not overzealously. You could still do some shit, which just was fun.

Guilty_AI

I feel what killed RTS games off was the over-fixation on e-sports and balacing the games to the extreme, thereby removing all the fun. Most RTS games that were and remained successful had a good single-player mode and were designed not primarily with e-sports in mind. That doesn't mean they weren't balanced. They were. Just not overzealously. You could still do some shit, which just was fun.
I'd say that killed competitive games in general. Major competitive games today just aren't fun to play. The best stuff usually belongs to smaller nicher communities.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think the issue with RTSs is that the old collection is already so vast with so much players and community content behind them that it's extremely hard to make something to surpass them today. And the way these games can be just played for as long as you want means fans will just keep playing what they know.
A genre sustained by the fans.

it would be nice but the fans don't want to bother making successors of their own so this kind of attitude leads to stagnation (and I love community oriented games)

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Mina the hollower looks dope

Bethesda and Obsidian

Bungie, saber interactive, ea, ubisoft, cd projekt red

Ghost of tsushima and days gone were 2 of my favorite games last gen. There's tons of indies too.

Woopah

They have had a rough last couple of years. Hellblade 2, Starfield, Suicide Squad, Avatar, Alan Wake 2, Redfall, and several other western games have been mediocre at best, awful at worst. Indie games are not what most people play or want to play. Mentioning them as things people should play when people simply dont have any interest in those genres makes no sense.

There have been some great ones recently though. BG3, Helldivers 2, Spiderman 2, Star Wars Jedi Survivor and GOW Ragnorak are fairly decent games. But they are the exception not the norm. Sony studios led the way for many years in the PS3 and PS4 gen, and they have kind of dropped the ball this gen which is why the sentiment that western games are bad is worse than before. When the most celebrated publisher takes a hit, its bound to create a chasm. Something MS studios and third parties like EA, Ubisoft and Activision failed to fill.

Meanwhile, japanese studios have been fairly consistent. RE4, Zelda BOTW, Elden Rings, Armored Core, Dragons Dogma 2,Final fantasy 16, FF7 Rebirth (Though i hate this game personally) have all been received rather well compared to other western games.

I think people are just waiting for a true AAA experience from their favorite developers. I dont care what anyone says, people like what they like and they like Rockstar games, Naughty Dog games, Bioware RPGs, Elder Scrolls games, GOW games, Fable, Tomb Raider, Max Payne games, and well most Sony first party single player games. once they start coming out next year and are even a least bit competent like GOW Ragnorak and Spiderman 2, no one is going to care about Japanese games other than some Nintendo fans who really like their own favorite franchises and the anti-western sentiment will improve.
The anti western argument may improve, but I don't think that will stop people caring about Japanese games.

Top Bottom