• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Western Games Suck Now" ... or do they?

NanaMiku

WRONG! The east just prefers to call their works Doujin rather than indie. Check our Playisms catalog and you will see tons of JP indies
Well, doujin means indie, they just use their language. Doujin means self-published.

One of the biggest indie game from Japan and it's a million seller:

EL_overview_gif_001.gif

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Sorry my friend, but I will still hold to my argument that the west has fallen and badly. So has much of the world sadly, but I'd say that is due to a variety of factors those being ballooning costs, focus groups, ham-fisted corporate control and terrible management, and larger lower-skilled teams that what had come before. I think the west was as absolute powerhouse back in the day and rightly so. But compared to what has come before to me there is no question, the west is downright pathetic. Not saying Asian games or practices are perfect mind, but overall my purchases of games made in the west have all but completely stopped. I've got the money, they don't want it.

I'd also argue that from where I'm sittin' some talented artists, coders and devs have made their way into niche markets, such as the adult scene on PC, where they are much more liberated to try out new ideas and interesting stories. However as usual the asshole wanker bankers in Visa & Mastercard(starting back in the days of Bush and friends) have continuously tried to stifle any chance of a free market, dictating what can and can't be purchased on any marketplace. I'm not talking about illegal content, they just enforce puritan values which is rich coming from the line snorting June corpo banner skin they adopt. Thankfully people fight on.

Also it'd be unwise to discredit the Doujin scene, its been around forever and helped get soooooo many game devs into the industry proper, or even build them up cult status and such. Hell most artists I support are Doujin folks, as well as the games.

For me the downfall of western gaming has the hallmarks of turning the consumer into paying beta-testers, releasing buggy titles to be maybe patched up later, multi-tier superultrajumbodeluxe edition cutaway content with dlc passes for stuff they couldn't finish lol. Then with the DEI/BRIDGE stuff thrown in that was for some I assume the final straw. For me it stretches across everything, games, movies, comics, tabletop games & rpgs, music. They do something I don't like I don't give them my dollar. Life's too short. I'd rather give my spacebucks to those that respect me. I do agree there is good stuff out there, but for me much of what you posted save for Cygni just reeks of that Sweet Baby stank. I won't even risk it until I have confirmation later, if I even care at that point. Thankfully there is a sea of releases over the last 30+ years I've yet to try and they're not only fantastic, but most are totally new experiences to me. And the western indie scene is pretty cool.

Generic

After reading the thread, I noticed people mostly use single-player games as examples of "west bad, east good"

In reality the PvP scene is pretty much dominated by western games.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Yeah Punished Miku Punished Miku , those aren't the best examples.

The truth is that nobody gives 2 shits about "creativity". Not that that defines Japanese titles anymore than it does Western. There's 2 things that contribute to the conversation around a game: Actual quality and narratives.

This forum has a history of pro-Japanese bias, so there's always going to be a subsection of weeb-adjacents who genuinely think the latest Tales Of game has better writing than the latest AC or some shit.

The reality is quite different. Most of the successful Japanese publishers today have gotten their by aping western shit. Whether or not people want to acknowledge it.

Last edited:

Generic

Yeah Punished Miku Punished Miku , those aren't the best examples.

The truth is that nobody gives 2 shits about "creativity". Not that that defines Japanese titles anymore than it does Western. There's 2 things that contribute to the conversation around a game: Actual quality and narratives.

This forum has a history of pro-Japanese bias, so there's always going to be a subsection of weeb-adjacents who genuinely think the latest Tales Of game has better writing than the latest AC or some shit.

The reality is quite different. Most of the successful Japanese publishers today have gotten their by aping western shit. Whether or not people want to acknowledge it.
With narrative you meant writing?

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
With narrative you meant writing?
No, as in the narrative around a game.

We've seen how a game will have good favor closer to release, then 6 months later, it sucks. Eg GoW Ragnarok or Hogwarts Legacy. Or the reverse: Watch Dogs was a bland crime against game design in 2014, now Aiden Pierce is a gaming king and original WD represents the golden days of Assassin's Creed and Ubisoft in general.

Guilty_AI

Why do you compare like a dozens of countries to just japan. Let's do an asia vs western games and I would take the asian side every day of the week.

Guilty_AI Guilty_AI made a thread a few weeks back with all the other asian countries making really awesome games too.
more like a few months back, but yeah

Fabieter

more like a few months back, but yeah

Tried witchspringr for example and it's at least as good as most of the japanese rpgs. Thanks for the recommendation!

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Globally, most games suck.

Truth.

I mean, when you look at how many games release world wide yearly, most shit sucks regardless of where it comes from.

How many good quality games anyone likes will always be a pretty limited number and I personally never boil that down from east to west

granted, a large number of special editions I bought this year have been from Japan like FFVII remake, Persona 3 remake etc

mwelLDb.jpeg

I'm still buying Steelbook versions of AC Shadows and Star Wars Outlaws this year

Good games can come from the east or west, but shit games can still come from the east or west too lol

Reactions: Isa

Barakov

Sorry my friend, but I will still hold to my argument that the west has fallen and badly. So has much of the world sadly, but I'd say that is due to a variety of factors those being ballooning costs, focus groups, ham-fisted corporate control and terrible management, and larger lower-skilled teams that what had come before. I think the west was as absolute powerhouse back in the day and rightly so. But compared to what has come before to me there is no question, the west is downright pathetic. Not saying Asian games or practices are perfect mind, but overall my purchases of games made in the west have all but completely stopped. I've got the money, they don't want it.

I'd also argue that from where I'm sittin' some talented artists, coders and devs have made their way into niche markets, such as the adult scene on PC, where they are much more liberated to try out new ideas and interesting stories. However as usual the asshole wanker bankers in Visa & Mastercard(starting back in the days of Bush and friends) have continuously tried to stifle any chance of a free market, dictating what can and can't be purchased on any marketplace. I'm not talking about illegal content, they just enforce puritan values which is rich coming from the line snorting June corpo banner skin they adopt. Thankfully people fight on.

Also it'd be unwise to discredit the Doujin scene, its been around forever and helped get soooooo many game devs into the industry proper, or even build them up cult status and such. Hell most artists I support are Doujin folks, as well as the games.

For me the downfall of western gaming has the hallmarks of turning the consumer into paying beta-testers, releasing buggy titles to be maybe patched up later, multi-tier superultrajumbodeluxe edition cutaway content with dlc passes for stuff they couldn't finish lol. Then with the DEI/BRIDGE stuff thrown in that was for some I assume the final straw. For me it stretches across everything, games, movies, comics, tabletop games & rpgs, music. They do something I don't like I don't give them my dollar. Life's too short. I'd rather give my spacebucks to those that respect me. I do agree there is good stuff out there, but for me much of what you posted save for Cygni just reeks of that Sweet Baby stank. I won't even risk it until I have confirmation later, if I even care at that point. Thankfully there is a sea of releases over the last 30+ years I've yet to try and they're not only fantastic, but most are totally new experiences to me. And the western indie scene is pretty cool.

FACTS.

Reactions: Isa

Hypereides

Gold Member
While I don't agree with the entire showcase here, I do agree with the sentiment. There's definitely some interesting western games out there to be found.

They have had a rough last couple of years. Hellblade 2, Starfield, Suicide Squad, Avatar, Alan Wake 2, Redfall, and several other western games have been mediocre at best, awful at worst. Indie games are not what most people play or want to play. Mentioning them as things people should play when people simply dont have any interest in those genres makes no sense.

There have been some great ones recently though. BG3, Helldivers 2, Spiderman 2, Star Wars Jedi Survivor and GOW Ragnorak are fairly decent games. But they are the exception not the norm. Sony studios led the way for many years in the PS3 and PS4 gen, and they have kind of dropped the ball this gen which is why the sentiment that western games are bad is worse than before. When the most celebrated publisher takes a hit, its bound to create a chasm. Something MS studios and third parties like EA, Ubisoft and Activision failed to fill.

Meanwhile, japanese studios have been fairly consistent. RE4, Zelda BOTW, Elden Rings, Armored Core, Dragons Dogma 2,Final fantasy 16, FF7 Rebirth (Though i hate this game personally) have all been received rather well compared to other western games.

I think people are just waiting for a true AAA experience from their favorite developers. I dont care what anyone says, people like what they like and they like Rockstar games, Naughty Dog games, Bioware RPGs, Elder Scrolls games, GOW games, Fable, Tomb Raider, Max Payne games, and well most Sony first party single player games. once they start coming out next year and are even a least bit competent like GOW Ragnorak and Spiderman 2, no one is going to care about Japanese games other than some Nintendo fans who really like their own favorite franchises and the anti-western sentiment will improve.
Slimy, you could've saved some text space and stated you just enjoy being closed minded.

All those legacy series, as well as developers, you listed are husks of their former selves. As a Tomb raider fan I have very little faith in whatever nonsense Crystal dynamics plans to sludge out. Regardless of how pretty the graphics will be, they won't do the series justice. Max Payne? The remakes? are you kidding me?

Personally I can't get excited for any AAA game for that matter given they'll continue to rely on the same 10 year old templates or revisions upon revisions with flashier graphics. If gaming for you is all about high fidelity graphics look then you do you. But, honestly, to me this way going about it is tremendously restrictive and boring.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve recently finished ‘Thank goodness you’re here!’ and it was a great, but only lasted a couple of hours. Funny while it lasted though.

The games mentioned by OP I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot barge pole. Not exactly a winning argument.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Why do you compare like a dozens of countries to just japan. Let's do an asia vs western games
I totally agree with that. The framing is mostly as a response to a lot of people that say only Japanese games are good. Comparing a tiny country to the entire western world obviously isn't fair. West vs Asia is an interesting thread, but my real point is honestly that there's great games coming from all over the world and having any East vs. West mindset is not great. Roberts Roberts pointed out some other emerging development countries like Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia. I know I've picked up 2-3 indie games from Indonesia this gen, one from Singapore, one from Columbia. There was a good indie games showcase this year in Central / South America, but I can't remember the country.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I totally agree with that. The framing is mostly as a response to a lot of people that say only Japanese games are good. Comparing a tiny country to the entire western world obviously isn't fair. West vs Asia is an interesting thread, but my real point is honestly that there's great games coming from all over the world and having any East vs. West mindset is not great. Roberts Roberts pointed out some other emerging development countries like Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia. I know I've picked up 2-3 indie games from Indonesia this gen, one from Singapore, one from Columbia. There was a good indie games showcase this year in Central / South America, but I can't remember the country.

It all comes down to personal preference. I lean toward Asian games, but if a Western game is exceptional, like "Baldur’s Gate 3" was for me last year, I’ll definitely play it. Despite my strong bias, that was my Game of the Year.

My theory on why Japanese games resonate more with people is that they tend to deliver more traditional gaming experiences compared to many Western developers. Interestingly, some of the best Western indie games draw strong inspiration from Japanese game design.

Ultimately, it’s just a matter of preference.

laynelane

It all comes down to personal preference. I lean toward Asian games, but if a Western game is exceptional, like "Baldur’s Gate 3" was for me last year, I’ll definitely play it. Despite my strong bias, that was my Game of the Year.

My theory on why Japanese games resonate more with people is that they tend to deliver more traditional gaming experiences compared to many Western developers. Interestingly, some of the best Western indie games draw strong inspiration from Japanese game design.

Ultimately, it’s just a matter of preference.

That's an intriguing theory. For my part, back when the internet was first becoming a thing, I was surprised to find there was a distinction between Japanese and Western games - even a rivalry among some people (which is better). When I looked at my collection, it turned out I very much gravitated towards Japanese games and that still holds true for today. Over the years, Japanese games have retained what I liked about them in the first place - a traditional gaming experience is a good way to put it too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That's an intriguing theory. For my part, back when the internet was first becoming a thing, I was surprised to find there was a distinction between Japanese and Western games - even a rivalry among some people (which is better). When I looked at my collection, it turned out I very much gravitated towards Japanese games and that still holds true for today. Over the years, Japanese games have retained what I liked about them in the first place - a traditional gaming experience is a good way to put it too.
Japanese games not afraid of be gamey while (not all) but most western devs want to get away from their games from being gamey as if its negative thing.

EDMIX

Japanese games not afraid of be gamey while (not all) but most western devs want to get away from their games from being gamey as if its negative thing.
Well it definitely depends on the game and I'm not really sure I would argue that the Japanese are not afraid of something like this because they're technically the ones that even began this idea of narratively telling games in this story type fashion

732a1aa22721b405336379f14a0dfee5.gif
vs
KkoM7o.gif

Again...

a9153bd7337bd856b6ac3b1330ba5d09.gif
vs
collecting-points.gif

Look at the original metal gear solid, This was extremely unique for its time where you have a game that has a plot and story and script with voice actors and even a musical score, This idea is to say that gaming is much more than simply points it is an interactive medium where the main goal can possibly be to entertain in a different way as opposed to gain any specific number competitively in terms of old school gamification

The idea of what "gaming" is has expanded greatly

As the idea of why someone might play a game will differ from person to person as not every person is actually playing a video game for actual gamey elements

Take me for example sometimes I'm very much playing a game to physically do something within that game, Sometimes I'm playing a game because of the narrative because I wish to be entertained in a specific way that I would not actually define like other titles.

So I'm not sure I would say that something with the East versus West because technically that is something Japan started with Silent Hill or titles like Metal Gear Solid

That game itself completely revolutionized how people look that games and that began the idea that games can be much more than merely points on a scoreboard.

So they're not doing that as if gamey is a negative thing, They are doing that because this idea can be multiple things....I don't even know if the term should even be called "game" as that exact idea isn't even something most are seeking with this medium compared to decades ago.

Interactive entertainment
Digital experiences lol

Point is, what someone is doing with Pong, Tetris, Fifa etc is not the same as what someone might be playing Silent Hill, Bioshock or Dead Space or The Last Of Us or something

It would be like acting as if all shows need to be like Soap Operas solely because the first show was a soap opera and then continues judge all shows based on something like this, it makes no sense and we don't actually do this in other mediums btw imho, the name simply cannot remain as the idea of what the medium is currently ,does not reflect the actual thing we are calling it.

Can someone play something for gamey ideas, sure, but that isn't the whole medium and maybe that name needs to be retired or something.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Meanwhile, japanese studios have been fairly consistent. RE4, Zelda BOTW, Elden Rings, Armored Core, Dragons Dogma 2,Final fantasy 16, FF7 Rebirth (Though i hate this game personally) have all been received rather well compared to other western games.
Armored Core and Dragon's Dogma didn't even have amazing reception. DD2 especially. Plenty of people all over the internet make similar complaints about it that we do about most Western games: Despite 2 generations from the first game, they barely did anything to advance the game.

Funnily, literally all of the stuff you mentioned are sequels/Remakes. Not a great profile for "creativity" the Japanese glazers keep talking about.

EDMIX

Armored Core and Dragon's Dogma didn't even have amazing reception. DD2 especially. Plenty of people all over the internet make similar complaints about it that we do about most Western games: Despite 2 generations from the first game, they barely did anything to advance the game.

Funnily, literally all of the stuff you mentioned are sequels/Remakes. Not a great profile for "creativity" the Japanese glazers keep talking about.

I actually agree.

I feel....look maybe better examples can be used lol

I love Japanese games myself, but before anyone wants to get on their fucking high horse understand, I like gamey repetitive type games too at times where I'm completely aware I am playing a dated concept that I'm familiar with and I am completely okay with this, titles like Yakuza or the Resident Evil or even Persona, Bravely Default etc i'm unusually okay with these games because I'm completely familiar with their structure and I don't really care if they do something new or not

So I sometimes think it's funny that when people make these types of negative comments when they hear me saying I'm going to play the new assassin's creed they try to make it sound like this issue has to do with the west as if I'm not fucking playing some other game for very similar reasons regarding something I'm familiar with that I understand as dated that I understand how's repetition that I'm simply playing just to play in Japan

So the sequels and remakes that SlimySnake SlimySnake is even talking about don't necessarily seem to advance game design if anything lots of us praise it because of that familiar design especially stuff like Elden ring and armored core (shit, I'd fucking argue that design is why I even play their games, I'm not seeking something BRAND NEW, its solid and works for them, even if dated)

I don't even get the fucking point of attacking games from the West because the stupid shit of talking about consistency from Japan is the same shit you could fucking say about Assassin's creed or Call of Duty and to my understanding the last final fantasy not even breaking massive records for them compared to the last Assassin's creed

Keep in mind I have no issue with either of this, But I believe some of the same things people are saying about those Japanese studios can be said about those Western studios even to a greater degree because I would argue they're consistency is being proven by record-breaking sales

So I'm not seeing anything from Resident Evil or final fantasy in regards to consistency that is trying to entertain that is not something we similarly get from Call of Duty or Assassin's creed...

They can both be consistent and they both can dated in concept.

Thats completely fine folks.

Top Bottom