• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you still investing in the Xbox ecosystem?

Are you still investing in the Xbox ecosystem?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

KaiserBecks

My gamepass ran out the other day and I see no reason to resub. Also not really interested in investing in my digital library anymore as I kinda doubt MS will continue to support Xbox in a comparable way down the line. However, it is still fun to collect physical 360 and classic games. MS deserves a lot of the hate they’re getting, but I still respect them for prioritising and putting work into backwards compatibility. The Series X is a wonderful console…for old games.

lachesis

Well, I'm using Xbox more than PS5 for sure... but all because of Game Pass.

From beginning of Series X, it was meant for me to be a Game Pass machine + BC games.
I bought most of my BC games that I want (like NGB/NG2/PD Orta etc etc) - but my pre-bought subscription is going to be expring coming November.

Not that I don't have 20 some bucks per month, but thinking about cutting it off once I'm done with my current run with Persona 3 Reloaded DLC content.

I have not bought a single game on Xbox Series X. I think I bought more games on Switch and on Steam sales... then a few on PS5.
Seeing a lot of games that I play (Japanese games) are often released in timely manner on PC with higher visual fidelity - so I'm thinking about consolidating to PC/Switch2 till at least next Hardware release and their policy changes.

Fess

I’ve been primarily a console gamer my whole life, although I do have a budget PC I use to play older games. Perhaps in the future though if I upgrade or get a new capable PC I will certainly consider it.
I was the same, console-only since about 1993, SNES. Commodore before that. Then a Steam summer sale happened in 2014...

Today I’m heavily invested on PC/Steam and I play all Xbox games there, also Playstation games now but then there is some waiting on ports. As an enthusiast the cost is brutal. But it’s worth it!

Radical_3d

I need an option for “no, but I had a Series X collecting dust until last week, when a friend made me an offer I couldn’t deny”.

XSX and ClickydiShitSticky controller.😥
No exclusives.😓
MS almost autosubbed me to GP Ultimate 216€/year😅
Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

Can't wait for PS5 Pro..
tmrsCf1.png

m14

Haven't rocked an xbox since the first one, halo 1 and 2 were killer. Since then i've kept peeking back over the green fence to see if they have anything worthwhile, but it seems the newer versions of gears and halo have been shit, rest of the stuff is typically multiplatform. That said, MS announces a next gen console that brings that 'biggest leap' ever they keep talking about, and actually starts churning out some great first party stuff in addition to the new Gears, I could be persuaded.
Were you never tempted to check out Halo 3 considering you appreciated the first two games so much?

Gamepass too good to give up, as well as my digital library. They have me by the short and curlies, unfortunately.

And people think Tencent or Valve will just come in and take over the console industry.

People aren’t going to give up their traditional platforms quite so easily.

Aion002

Gold Member
Yes. Gamepass is great and as long ms rewards exist I will keep my Series S.

If one day they drop the rewards and gamepass becomes uninteresting to me I will use my Series S to play ps2 games.

MS Rewards is so good that I even use it to buy ps5 games.

Last edited:
Not the console, I sold my Series X last month and just got a PS5 slim 2 says ago. I still have credit on my MS account which I can use on Play Anywhere titles, so they're still getting my money one way or another.

For now, mostly for game pass and the xsx is great. Just, not gonna lie, idk if I will keep going for the next Xbox. Thinking about final just move completely to pc. Built it up. Maybe still keep game pass lowing to pc game pass. But I’m sure I leave Xbox game pass here by next year I believe.

jzbadblood

Neo Member
When a new interesting game comes out on GamePass I subscribe for the month and play it. That's about it now. I prefer the Xbox controller, but I have no confidence in another console coming out so I don't want to buy games on there anymore.

Bond007

Nope, my Series x is about to be gone especially after Indiana Jones ps5 confirmation.
Not investing in this brand anymore. They were a good alternative because of some of their exclusives and it forced me to ensure I had one of their consoles every gen.
They lie a lot to our faces and lost sight of exclusives- so I lost sight of them in turn

Game pass was a thing I’d use only for new releases and cancel- not my jam. Great demo of games subscription. I like to own shit

Last edited:

cireza

I will buy Sonic x Shadow, but I don't really have anything else I am looking forward to this year.

I think that what Nintendo are going to do with their next console will be a deciding factor in where I put my money going in 2025 and beyond. If the console still runs every third party game like shit, then MS will remain the only option.

Last edited:

digdug2

I think I'm done with Xbox unless they miraculously manage to get their shit together. Thinking about trading my Series X in to offset the cost of a PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

playbignbox

I'm using it more as a GamePass machine, I'm especially excited for the end of the year to play the upcoming CoD BO6 (I plan to play the zombie mode in split screen), Stalker 2 and Indiana Jones.

Mortisfacio

It's a game pass machine for the kids. I keep it in the living room and they can play whatever they want with their friends or cousins when they're over. When it's just us at home, we all play PC. My wife wants to game, but she gets motion sickness so she just watches TV.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It's basically my 360/original Xbox emulator through backwards compatibility. I don't think I've bought any current-gen games for it, though. Unless Rare Replay counts. Maybe I'll get Halo 5 since that's the only one I never played.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah, I like their HW, its probably due to enjoying shit ton of their IPs, like FH, Flight Sim, Gears. So yeah. How smart it is, I don't know, but I hope that they won't kill it. Just become 3rd party publisher with their own HW

Kvally

It goes without saying 2024 was a rough year for Xbox. More than usual. Xbox began porting their games to competing platforms which has coincided with an unprecedented collapse in hardware sales.

Despite their precarious position, they remain committed to staying in the hardware space. Back in April Sarah Bond confirmed their commitment to backwards compatibility with a 'new team dedicated to game preservation' as backwards compatibility with previous-generation Xbox games will remain a priority for the company's hardware going forward.

With all that being said, are you still investing in the Xbox ecosystem with confidence?
Why wouldn't I? Great games, great console and great online. I don't care that PS and Xbox are porting to PC, Switch and Xbox/PS. I still enjoy the games.

ByWatterson

Fourth option. Worst for them.

I'll keep paying annually for Core, just to play Age of Empires 2 with my brother, but I already bought it, left big Gamepass, have never bought a third-party game this gen.

It's done. I'm out.

Isa

I won't sell or trade mine since I like having the BC on it, but I totally stopped investing in that ecosystem since they're bringing so many games to other systems and pretty much killing off Xbox. Letting years of Gamepass die out with no renewal and despite the improved Asian game support for a little bit, its still lacking overall and I don't want to give them a dime if I can help it, but that's also in part due to my dislike of MS and what their CEO said and the WEF conference. Its a shame to, as for some time I enjoyed having more competition in the console space.

SteadyEvo

It's been a rough generation period. But to answer your question, I'm riding with em till the wheels fall off.

$120 a year for gaming rental isn't much imo. And I've been playing since og xbox.

Killer8

My Series X is just for backwards compatibility and the odd Game Pass exclusive that doesn't run well on PC.

I'll be letting my GP sub lapse next year since they brought out the PC only tier.

Darsxx82

-Game support is still intact.

-The Xbox generation where the most games of all kinds are released on Xbox console.

-Gamepass with day one First party games from a very Big number o Studios .

-Rewards point with which I save a lot of money for buy games.

-Fantastic emulation via Devmode.

-BC fantastic.

-Compatibility with the PC Store.

I see no reason to stop buying games from it... In the next gen?? There will be time to evaluate what product or what games support does MS offers.

But well, I am clear that the preservation of games already acquired, in one way or another, is as safe or more secure in the XBOX ecosystem as it can be in the PS or Nintendo ecosystems.

Last edited:

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I have been investing less. They are turning me off the brand as every day goes by. I used to buy all third-party games on Xbox but I'm moving towards PS5 now. I guess I mainly stayed on Xbox as all of my gamerscore was there and I kept investing because of that. I don't have any trophies on my PSN account but I'm past the point of caring about shit like that now.

This will probably shock people but I still don't have a series s or series x. I love Halo and at some point may get a digital x to play more Infinite and games yet released. I can still use my laptop but it chugs. More to the point, I don't just blindly buy stuff. I enjoy the xbox ecosystem but I'm also not handcuffed to it. I do look forward to their next console. 100% don't believe xbox is leaving the console market.

Sony and MS should start releasing top tier PS and Xbox branded PCs/laptops, repsectively, that can do more than just gaming.
These consoles have strong specs to become multipurpose - programming, video editing, photoshop etc..

These multi-purpose devices will sell like hot cakes even if priced $1000+.

With the rise in console prices, they seem to me a dying techs similar to the cassette player, DVDs, etc. I find zero value in owning consoles as they are releasing all games on PCs.

Last edited:

angrod14

Also not really interested in investing in my digital library anymore as I kinda doubt MS will continue to support Xbox in a comparable way down the line.
I don't think MS will ever shut down Xbox. They might stop making hardware if it no longer brings them profits, but they would most likely keep Xbox as a third party plataform like Steam. They have spent too much money on it already. I think your digital library will be fine.

"Every screen is an Xbox" - Lies of Phil.

Last edited:

KrisB

It's just a Gamepass machine for me while I buy my games on the PS5.
I think the only game I've bought on the Series X was Starfield and that's only because I wanted the early access. If I waited that would have been another Gamepass one.

SenkiDala

Sure why not ? Xbox is great.

Are you investing in a console made by a company who just lost 400M$ on 1 game alone ? I'd be careful if I were you. :(

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
How come there's no options of buying their games on PC?

1. Avowed
  2. Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
  3. Doom: The Dark Ages
  4. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024
  5. Age of Mythology: Retold
  6. South of Midnight
  7. Perfect Dark
  8. Clockwork Revolution
  9. Project Mara
  10. Gears of War: E-Day
  11. Fable
  12. Everwild
  13. Call of Duty: Black Ops 6
  14. Marvel's Blade
  15. State of Decay 3
  16. Outer Worlds 2
  17. Elder Scrolls VI
Not sure I buy all of that, south of midnight is not resonating with me nor is call of duty and state of decay, but the rest is absolutely insane. I'll buy nearly 13-14 out of that list.

Sooner

No. I'm not buying any games on a console knowing it likely won't be around much longer and most/all of their games will come to PS5 and Switch 2 anyway.

Top Bottom