• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished the episode. I really feel like tearing the episode apart, but the more I think about it, the more I notice that it wasn't actually bad. The character scenes were good, some of them even great. I really like the scene with Laurel and Oliver. They also handled Felicity well, despite the hallucination bullshit. Still, much better than expected. I even liked the scenes with Johnny and Andy, even though I previously didn't care about Andy at all. But they had some good moments in this episode.

But every scene involving some kind of action was garbage, especially at Argus. Afghanistan truck fight, Laurel, Oliver and Thea jumping down at the same time for no reason, walking in a situation where they shouldn't waste time, flipping a hidden switch so that the camera feed of the control room is being displayed inside the monitors of the cell, that final fight where, again, everyone is just dancing with a partner in a tight space where you can't do much, because there are just so many people in it and you need to show it all, a special forces soldier who could've easily shot Oliver when he came crashing down, but missed, Johnny's wife punching a mask.

Just so much little and stupid stuff that annoys me. I know it's all nitpicking and again, I'm not saying it was a bad episode, the show sucks or anything like that, but I feel like they're biting more off than they can chew with the action scenes. Tone it down and get less people involved.

I can't believe I watched an episode of Arrow where felicity hallucinated and yelled at herself in front of another character and i still enjoyed it more than the preceding episode of flash. :|

at least dig got some kickass fight scenes and basically all the felicity/ollie scenes were good. wheelchair drama is over already, which i'm very surprised by.

You're insane if you think this episode was better than this week's Flash.

Joni

Yeah I think Katie Cassidy and EBR are younger than their characters.
It is a very small difference for Katie, Laurel is from 1985 and Katie from 1986. Caity is from 1986 too, but Sara is from 1987. Caity was born on the last days of the year, so it is not really a gap even. Felicity is from 1989, Emily from 1991. Thea is from 1995, Willa from 1991. Oliver is 1985, Stephen 1981. Diggle is 1977, David Ramsey 1971. Roy is from 1991 and Colton from 1988.

Laurel is now the most logical and reasonable person on this show. Oliver revealed fucking time travel to her and she was just like "alright cool, but that don't mean you gotta fix shit". What a turnaround her character has had.

Joni

Laurel is now the most logical and reasonable person on this show. Oliver revealed fucking time travel to her and she was just like "alright cool, but that don't mean you gotta fix shit". What a turnaround her character has had.

The best was that both Laurel and Felicity basically told him the same thing: stop thinking it is your fault idiot.

The best was that both Laurel and Felicity basically told him the same thing: stop thinking it is your fault idiot.

I really liked that. There's no good reason to hate these characters anymore.

Laurel's seen some shit, man
She seems more open minded to stuff now that she saw Constantine give a mook the ol' FREEZE FRAME

Malvingt2

Depends on the character.
Harley? Yeah don't waste her hype on Arrow.
Deadshot and Waller nobody is going to go out and pay to see a movie just for them. So in their case it's kinda stupid.

Watching that JL special on CW I realized I now kinda side with WB on some of this.
With the Flash tv series on I seriously couldn't give a shit about him getting a movie and I'm a huge Flash fan

Oh? I would love to watch a movie with our tv Flash...now about the WB movie... meh... no thanks.

Joni

Supergirl's was better than both.

They all had their upsides and downsides, but I think Arrow came out strongest. Laurel-Oliver as friends, the Oliver-Felicity conversations, Andy-John convo, Waller's brutal dead, starting to split the team for fights, Felicity wearing high heels.

Just finished watching the episode and WHAT'S IN THE GRAVE IS MY BROKEN HEART
</3

I shouted NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when Felicity burned the photo

Johndoey

Banned
I still can't believe apparently Oliver never told Thea any of his flashback story. Like I thought at one point the implication was off-screen he sat everyone down and hashed this shit out.
Also why hasn't anyone called Ray about a pair of robo braces, dude is a comic super genius he could whip them up. Also did they ever mention the exact issue with her legs? Is it a spinal cord injury or the legs themselves.

They all had their upsides and downsides, but I think Arrow came out strongest. Laurel-Oliver as friends, the Oliver-Felicity conversations, Andy-John convo, Waller's brutal dead, starting to split the team for fights, Felicity wearing high heels.

I think Arrow was the best of the bunch as well. Supergirl was right there with it, but Arrow was really solid. All the characters felt like they're settling into their roles. Ollie shared a few strong scenes with everyone. Loved the Diggle story. Taking nothing away from the intensity of Supergirl this week though. Flash in the other hand was pretty bland. But I've never been a fan of bring back a previous season big bad to get knocked out in 1 episode. Plus, Barry is insanely frustrating this season.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I still can't believe apparently Oliver never told Thea any of his flashback story. Like I thought at one point the implication was off-screen he sat everyone down and hashed this shit out.

When we hit Season 6, the flashbacks are just Ollie filling Thea in.

Also really shocked that they executed
Waller
like a dog. Just BLAM and done.

Loved how they were portrayed. I LOVED to hate them and thought their incarnation on Arrow is easily the best incarnation from any DC media I've consumed. Arrow's
Amanda Waller
is THE
Amanda Waller
to me. The Gold Standard
Amanda Waller

mooncakes

Stephen Amell to appear as future Oliver Queen

Every once and a while, we do an episode where the 10-year-old me has to pinch himself,&#8221; executive producer Marc Guggenheim says. &#8220;We&#8217;re not only introducing our version of Connor Hawke to our universe, we&#8217;re going to meet the 2046 version of Oliver Queen, and Stephen Amell is going to be reprising his role from Arrow. As an added bonus to comic-book fans, Oliver is missing his left arm and will be sporting a goatee, in a nod to the character&#8217;s appearance in the seminal Dark Knight Returns. We think this episode features some of the coolest things we&#8217;ve ever done.&#8221;

Evo X

We're getting future Ollie!

12525696_978773805505025_6913164991921749148_o.jpg

Stephen Amell was just live on Facebook.

Confirmed that he will appear on episode six on Legends of Tomorrow with a goatee and missing arm alongside Connor Hawke.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

still the worst person in that series.

Tabby

Stephen Amell to appear as future Oliver Queen

Every once and a while, we do an episode where the 10-year-old me has to pinch himself,” executive producer Marc Guggenheim says. “We’re not only introducing our version of Connor Hawke to our universe, we’re going to meet the 2046 version of Oliver Queen, and Stephen Amell is going to be reprising his role from Arrow. As an added bonus to comic-book fans, Oliver is missing his left arm and will be sporting a goatee, in a nod to the character’s appearance in the seminal Dark Knight Returns. We think this episode features some of the coolest things we’ve ever done.”
Oh hell yes.
Now give me future Wally.

KevinCow

Banned
It is a very small difference for Katie, Laurel is from 1985 and Katie from 1986. Caity is from 1986 too, but Sara is from 1987. Caity was born on the last days of the year, so it is not really a gap even. Felicity is from 1989, Emily from 1991. Thea is from 1995, Willa from 1991. Oliver is 1985, Stephen 1981. Diggle is 1977, David Ramsey 1971. Roy is from 1991 and Colton from 1988.

It blows my mind that, Diggle aside, I am roughly in the same age bracket as all of these characters and actors. For some reason I've always assumed without really thinking about it that I was way younger than the people I see on TV... I guess that's not really the case anymore.

Can't say I'm gonna miss this show's amanda waller. Viola Davis blew her out of the water with just a few words

Felicity's scenes would have been great without that awful hallucination stuff. Hoping we're forever done with that now

JustinBB7

It's pretty clear the rest of the Suicide Squad is in the grave.

Yea thought that too lol. Just when I was complaining about no deaths/death doesn't matter, they kill her off. And because of the movie, I doubt they will bring her back. This was DC finishing off loose ends. Pretty fitting actually.

I finally got around to finishing the episode after giving up halfway through earlier today.

My thoughts:

The acting is noticeably poor, or maybe my enjoyment of the show has bottomed out and I can't look past it now.

And giving Felicity the codename Overwatch is a damn lazy way of covering up how much you're ripping off Batman.

Also, was there any reason for Felicity's hallucinations? Because that was one of the poorest ways I've seen any show skip over character development... ever.

I finally got around to finishing the episode after giving up halfway through earlier today.

My thoughts:

The acting is noticeably poor, or maybe my enjoyment of the show has bottomed out and I can't look past it now.

And giving Felicity the codename Overwatch is a damn lazy way of covering up how much you're ripping off Batman.

Also, was there any reason for Felicity's hallucinations? Because that was one of the poorest ways I've seen any show skip over character development... ever.
It's explained as a side effect of her medication.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It blows my mind that, Diggle aside, I am roughly in the same age bracket as all of these characters and actors. For some reason I've always assumed without really thinking about it that I was way younger than the people I see on TV... I guess that's not really the case anymore.

I know right? I've only just recently come to this awful realization.

Chase17

Of course. That old "introspective hallucination" side effect.

The Arrow writers are the laziest bunch out of all of them right now. Well... maybe second to that god awful Shadowhunters TV show.
I think it would have been better if they just went for the more straight forward "oh my goodness, I'm never going to walk again" route.

Of course. That old "introspective hallucination" side effect.

The Arrow writers are the laziest bunch out of all of them right now. Well... maybe second to that god awful Shadowhunters TV show.
One time, I accidentally mixed codeine cough syrup with Mucinex DM, and I was quite introspective in a "WTF DID I JUST DO!?!?" kind of way. So there's that.

Guess if we're gonna be sensitive to the spoiler that's being actively revealed by the star of the show I'll hide this behind a tag.

jMIXUBZ.png

foxtrot3d

Banned
I think it would have been better if they just went for the more straight forward "oh my goodness, I'm never going to walk again" route.

I said it before but earlier before watching last nights Arrow I watched the episode "Noel" from The West Wing which is just a masterclass piece of writing dealing with PTSD. Now again, I'm not expecting Sorkin writing on Arrow but for the love God they can at least try to aspire to something greater at times. And now I think I'm going to re-watch the ending to that WW episode again.

Chase17

I said it before but earlier before watching last nights Arrow I watched the episode "Noel" from The West Wing which is just a masterclass piece of writing dealing with PTSD. Now again, I'm not expecting Sorkin writing on Arrow but for the love God they can at least try to aspire to something greater at times. And now I think I'm going to re-watch the ending to that WW episode again.
Is that the episode after the secretary died? (S2 finale maybe?). Because I remember that episode being amazing.

I'm not against people aspiring for something better. But if they do and the execution isn't great I think it's ok for me to be critical. Can't expect them to perfect it on their early attempts though I suppose, experience will help. Maybe on the next go around they'll nail it.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Is that the episode after the secretary died? (S2 finale maybe?). Because I remember that episode being amazing.

I'm not against people aspiring for something better. But if they do and the execution isn't great I think it's ok for me to be critical. Can't expect them to perfect it on their early attempts though I suppose, experience will help. Maybe on the next go around they'll nail it.

Nah, though that is another great episode. This is S2E10 I believe, it's after Josh sort of has a meltdown since he's been in denial anything is wrong with him after getting shot so they call in a psychologist to help him.

Platy

That "Oracle" quote was just perfected for like 50 reasons, the main being : fuck yeah first confirmation of batman verse on the show and awesome that they are not hiding that they are doing batman lite =P

Magwik

Banned
That "Oracle" quote was just perfected for like 50 reasons, the main being : fuck yeah first confirmation of batman verse on the show and awesome that they are not hiding that they are doing batman lite =P
All it was were the writers breaking the fourth wall, giving a little *wink wink nudge nudge fuck you* to the fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom