• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Him keeping the secret from Felicity is pretty irrelevant considering a time traveling Barry Allen told Oliver that Felicity dumped him 24 hours after Oliver himself found out about William.
Remember how that went? No, no, this paternity test is absolutely unimportant. No, no, you're being ridiculous asking about it. And then, he doesn't tell her once they're back at home, when Savage is defeated.

I still think the point that your boyfriend knocked someone up while dating you would still sting that many years later. Oliver being a different person doesn't really change the fact he cheated Laurel like shit and still does sometimes.
Yes, but she can't be really upset at him. She is mad at old Oliver, and she knows that.

Also Felicity has shown herself to be rather jealous in a way of some of the women involved in Oliver's life, as I pointed out, she seemed to actually take genuine offense to the fact Oliver married Nyssa despite the clear signs it was a marriage neither wanted to happen. Felicity also broke up with Oliver barely a day after he himself found out because how dare Oliver take more than a few hours to inform her.
Wasn't this part of the whole stupid lying about the league?

Sephzilla

Remember how that went? No, no, this paternity test is absolutely unimportant. No, no, you're being ridiculous asking about it. And then, he doesn't tell her once they're back at home, when Savage is defeated.

She was being ridiculous asking about it, Oliver was still processing the fact that he was a fucking father, they were trying to focus on killing an immortal warlord, and it quite frankly wasn't her business because they weren't even engaged in that episode.

"Hey Oliver I know we're in deep shit trying to kill off an immortal human but you need to take your focus off of that and talk to me for a moment"

Joni

She was being ridiculous asking about it, Oliver was still processing the fact that he was a fucking father, they were trying to focus on killing an immortal warlord, and it quite frankly wasn't her business because they weren't even engaged in that episode.
Yeah, at that point the guy is holding a paternity test and hiding it from his girlfriend. She doesn't know what it is. And he continues to hide it when the immortal is defeated.

Sephzilla

Yeah, at that point the guy is holding a paternity test and hiding it from his girlfriend. She doesn't know what it is. And he continues to hide it when the immortal is defeated.

Keeping a promise so you can see your son > being open with your girlfriend who's showing clear signs of jealousy issues

EDIT - I'll actually even simplify that even more. Son > Girlfriend

Wasn't this part of the whole stupid lying about the league?
Definitely not. She finds out when under the impression to trust Oliver when he's doing his triple-agent shtick and her response in gaping and then tear-filled eyes because that's her go-to expression in season 3.

Sephzilla

He did the paternity test and lied about it to Felicity before Samantha told him to keep quiet.

Original Timeline
Oliver gets the paternity test. Finds out William is his son. Is shaken up about it. Felicity grills him on it. He tells her. She dumps him. Everyone dies because of Vandal Savage

New Timeline
Oliver gets the paternity test. Finds out William is his son. Is shaken up about it. Barry tells him not to tell Felicity and focus on Vandal Savage, because otherwise they're boned. He doesn't tell her. They stop Vandal Savage. Shortly after that Samantha makes the ultimatum where Oliver can see William.

Oliver didn't exactly get much of a chance to tell Felicity after the Vandal Savage stuff concluded. And he still chose the better option. In fact, Felicity leaves him in the original timeline before the Samantha ultimatum even has a chance to become a thing. She leaves Oliver while Oliver is still emotionally processing the fact that he has a son. Oliver keeping a secret from her is literally irrelevant to why she leaves him.

Felicity had the right to be upset but that was still an over reaction, especially since before that it came off as she had an understanding of the situation. That wasn't some "break off the engagement" sort of thing other than to create Olicity drama. It's right there along with the stupid "arc" of Felicity's being paralyzed for a whole six episodes that lead to nothing other than Curtis inventing a chip to make her walk again... Maybe that will lead to something but as of right now it just feels like a cheap out to get away from something they only did because they want Felicity centered drama for a cliffhanger.

Then we have Oliver who still to this day, thinks keeping secrets from people close to him is the right call no matter how many times it ends up blowing up in his face. That ultimatum given to Oliver by Samantha is a secret that did not make sense, if Oliver told Felicity about it she could've kept her mouth shut and there wouldn't have been any problem unless Samantha is psychic.

Remember when Felicity threw a massive episode-long fit because she loved Oliver? :p

I just don't get her.

Since season two she's slowly been transformed into a representation of the fan girls on Twitter and tumblr.

Sephzilla

Felicity had the right to be upset but that was still an over reaction, especially since before that it came off as she had an understanding of the situation. That wasn't some "break off the engagement" sort of thing other than to create Olicity drama. It's right there along with the stupid "arc" of Felicity's being paralyzed for a whole six episodes that lead to nothing other than Curtis inventing a chip to make her walk again... Maybe that will lead to something but as of right now it just feels like a cheap out to get away from something they only did because they want Felicity centered drama for a cliffhanger.

Then we have Oliver who still to this day, thinks keeping secrets from people close to him is the right call no matter how many times it ends up blowing up in his face. That ultimatum given to Oliver by Samantha is a secret that did not make sense, if Oliver told Felicity about it she could've kept her mouth shut and there wouldn't have been any problem unless Samantha is psychic.

Since season two she's slowly been transformed into a representation of the fan girls on Twitter and tumblr.

Except hasn't Felicity been generally awful with secrets?

An ultimatum that makes no sense and led to this entire situation.

She thought Oliver was still about that party life and considering his public image at that point still wasn't the greatest it would make sense that Samantha wouldn't want William connected to that in any way. She didn't know he was a super hero who was going to run for mayor.

Original Timeline
Oliver gets the paternity test. Finds out William is his son. Is shaken up about it. Felicity grills him on it. He tells her. She dumps him. Everyone dies because of Vandal Savage

New Timeline
Oliver gets the paternity test. Finds out William is his son. Is shaken up about it. Barry tells him not to tell Felicity and focus on Vandal Savage, because otherwise they're boned. He doesn't tell her. They stop Vandal Savage. Shortly after that Samantha makes the ultimatum where Oliver can see William.

Oliver didn't exactly get much of a chance to tell Felicity after the Vandal Savage stuff concluded. And he still chose the better option. In fact, Felicity leaves him in the original timeline before the Samantha ultimatum even has a chance to become a thing. She leaves Oliver while Oliver is still emotionally processing the fact that he has a son. Oliver keeping a secret from her is literally irrelevant to why she leaves him.

She thought Oliver was still about that party life and considering his public image at that point still wasn't the greatest it would make sense that Samantha wouldn't want William connected to that in any way. She didn't know he was a super hero who was going to run for mayor.

She made no attempt to determine what capacity Oliver existed in any way shape or form. Depending on Oliver's life situation, keeping such a secret could've been detrimental to his ongoing mental health.

It makes a much sense as what you're attributing to Felicity. Which is to say, it was written for drama's sake, instead of to make logical sense. The situation was contrived to get the result "Oliver has to keep another secret, this time from the woman he's marrying." Why? Because a secret of that magnitude would rightly throw a rift in a relationship.

She made no attempt to determine what capacity Oliver existed in any way shape or form. Depending on Oliver's life situation, keeping such a secret could've been detrimental to his ongoing mental health.

It makes a much sense as what you're attributing to Felicity. Which is to say, it was written for drama's sake, instead of to make logical sense. The situation was contrived to get the result "Oliver has to keep another secret, this time from the woman he's marrying." Why? Because a secret of that magnitude would rightly throw a rift in a relationship.

Why would Samantha need to know anything about Oliver besides that hes her sons father? A father has a right to see their child. The ultimatum was obviously just a plot point, but regardless Felicity overreacted as usual and her reasoning was absolute bullshit.

Phyranion

Felicity has nothing to do with Oliver and Samantha's son. Absolutely nothing. Its none of her business. The fact that she said that he didn't include her makes no fucking sense. Its not her son at all.
loooooooooooooooooool. If I was about to marry a girl, and she suddenly had a child out of the blue, I would react too.

loooooooooooooooooool. If I was about to marry a girl, and she suddenly had a child out of the blue, I would react too.

Did you watch the episode?
She broke it off because she didn't include him in the decision of sending his son away. Its not her son and not her decision to make.

I watched this late Wednesday and I'm still not over the fact Felicity got up, with heels on, and walked out on Oliver. I don't know if it's hilarious, or insulting, or straight terrible.

She left the wheelchair, and walked out.

She

Got

Up

And

Walked

Out

I seriously don't know if I want to pick this back up on the return. Fuck

The most annoying thing about Felicity's rationale is that she admitted that Oliver was in an impossible situation, if instead she'd said the ultimatum was BS, that Oliver should have known that and that they could work out a solution together, at least then I'd know where she's coming from, even if it is selfish in the respect that it jeopardizes Oliver seeing his son again. They're so intent not to cast Felicity in a bad light that they make her into a hypocrite instead, which to me makes her way more unlikable.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I watched this late Wednesday and I'm still not over the fact Felicity got up, with heels on, and walked out on Oliver. I don't know if it's hilarious, or insulting, or straight terrible.

She left the wheelchair, and walked out.

She

Got

Up

And

Walked

Out

I seriously don't know if I want to pick this back up on the return. Fuck

I was expecting at least a couple episodes. When the guy said to have patience, I was thinking "maybe they'll stretch it over to the finale", but nope. Just gets up and walks out and the end of the episode. lol.

Johndoey

Banned
The ultimatum is reasonable considering her previous experience with him and his mother plus the shit going on in Star, It's harsh but she's trying to look out for her kid.

His issues aren't her problem.

I was expecting at least a couple episodes. When the guy said to have patience, I was thinking "maybe they'll stretch it over to the finale", but nope. Just gets up and walks out and the end of the episode. lol.

She hasn't used her legs or controlled them in how many months? She just get up, in heels, and walks. No one in production stopped and said, "wait let's rethink this"

People coming back from the dead in a idiotic manner and now we know that not even phisical damage is a concern in the arrowverse.

So much for the more grounded approach of the first season. I miss that.

Kyoufu

People coming back from the dead in a idiotic manner and now we know that not even phisical damage is a concern in the arrowverse.

So much for the more grounded approach of the first season. I miss that.

Season 1 is pretty underrated, but looking back, it was the best of times. Killer Arrow, grounded and dark, solo Arrow with good choreography and last but not least; Huntress-chan.

ZeroX03

Banned
Things got intense in this thread overnight.

Uhhhh. Yes they did. Berlanti and Kreisberg both write for Flash/Supergirl and they left Arrow to Guggenheim.

No, they didn't leave. They started pulling double/triple/quadruple duty. They're still breaking story for Arrow in S3. Kreisberg now does Flash and Supergirl and doesn't really contribute to Arrow much, but that's this season not last.

JakR

I watch Arrow since Season 1 aired and first two seasons were great, season 3 struggled and now Arrow is watchable, but has lost his own identity.

I mean I can remember to saw an end of an episode and could not wait for the next episode to air.
This whole Arrow needs to lighten up, get in line with The Flash and Supergirl tone is not really working in my opinion.

And drama was always bad in Arrow from family point of view, but Felicity is killing it. I really wold hope they klled her character off and shaken the whole show again in a lottle more darker tone with Laurel only as attorney, Thea could be fine somewhere in the world and only Oliver and Diggle teaming up and kicking ass.

It is still enjoyable, but I really thinking about to drop the show after this season.

I just check my phone during the Felicity parts. Sure, I end up missing about a third of each episode, but it makes things a lot better for me. Oh, Felicity's on? Time for emails, Facebook, Cracked, etc.

I watch Arrow since Season 1 aired and first two seasons were great, season 3 struggled and now Arrow is watchable, but has lost his own identity.

I mean I can remember to saw an end of an episode and could not wait for the next episode to air.
This whole Arrow needs to lighten up, get in line with The Flash and Supergirl tone is not really working in my opinion.

And drama was always bad in Arrow from family point of view, but Felicity is killing it. I really wold hope they klled her character off and shaken the whole show again in a lottle more darker tone with Laurel only as attorney, Thea could be fine somewhere in the world and only Oliver and Diggle teaming up and kicking ass.

It is still enjoyable, but I really thinking about to drop the show after this season.

Arrow needs to be darker and they surely need to ditch some team members. It's like Power Rangers now.

I started watching a few weeks ago and I'm just about to start Season 4. The show has been great, and a nice contrast from The Flash, but some of the characters have been quite annoying. Laurel & Thea in particular really have bothered me, especially at the beginning of Season 3. They were constantly over-reacting to everything.

It seems to have slowed down a bit, and I hope that it continues into Season 4.

Johndoey

Banned
We need more of the other team members interacting I'd be down for auntie Thea hanging with Dig and the baby shit like that ya know.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Queen Industries needs to come back with Oliver at as the CEO. He needs something to do other than being Green Arrow all episode. Diggle should also appear to be his bodyguard/driver again to keep up the facade.

The only way I see out of this ridiculousness would be for the writers to actually call Felicity out for this insane hypocrisy she displayed, preferably through Oliver but I'll accept another main cast member. If they're seriously going to go down this kind of bullshit breakup path, make it about some actual drama and have the disconnect be how Felicity is reacting to Oliver's impossible situation. Hell, I'm fine with keeping this the actual divide between the two characters if it means we get to actually see Oliver resent Felicity's insanely selfish behavior that is keeping them apart, maybe get us some angry punisher-Ollie again.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hypocrisy?

What else can we accuse Felicity of? Surely I'm not the first to suggest the Queen's Gambit exploded because of how much of a cracker eating bitch she is.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Would it be better or worse if the start of the next episode was the last shot of Felicity walking out, but as the door closes, Oliver kinda snaps out of a trance at the laptop and we see it was just in his head and Felicity is still just sitting next to him waiting for him to say something? She still takes the ring off and says they need a break, but she doesn't get up and walk out or say that they'll never get married.

The ultimatum is reasonable considering her previous experience with him and his mother plus the shit going on in Star, It's harsh but she's trying to look out for her kid.
Her previous experience with him is having some sex and partying. Her previous experience with his mother is getting paid off to go away.

No, there's really not much that feeds into "No, you can't tell the person you're with about your son."

The situation makes little sense and I find it odd that people are focusing on the Felicity side (fiance leaves because secrets, which honestly is pretty normal) when the impetus is so contrived. I can take issue with the level of Felicity's ire, but that she's angry and feels Oliver has trust issues at all, that's pretty damn common in a relationship. And Lord, getting up out of the wheelchair was just a bad narrative move.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oliver was the mayoral candidate for Star City when he comes into William's life. From a city with a history of dead mayors and another mayoral candidate who's daughter was kidnapped two months back. I wonder why she'd want her son not to be associated with Oliver Queen who has a giant target on his head. He's shot at and his friends are captured the next episode. He's a huge liability to be around, which is something she would know, while she doesn't know anything about the company Oliver keeps.

Only way to redeem Felicity for me is to have her as a true villain.
other than that I honestly don't want to see her on this show anymore, they completely ran her into the ground.

when this season started, I thought that happy oliver was something they actually gave a fuck about. I thought we wouldn't have to deal with dumb relationship drama for a season or two.

I guess they just can't think of any other way to drag out their plots than make everyone act stupid.

Johndoey

Banned
Can't we get some Thea centric episodes so we can get a Olicity breather once in a while. Hell make an episode about the damn baby something!

So y'all gonna stop watching the show or naw? Y'all obviously hate the show right?

For the record I understand and agree to Oliver's actions however I understand Felicity's as well. She doesn't want to be in bed with someone who's keeping secrets plus she's a woman and some(not all) women tend to get like that even if a person's reason is logical.

Honestly I should just leave Arrow-GAF. When I was banned late last year watching this season I enjoyed it so much more.

- J - D -

I don't trawl the internet looking for (b)Arrow-fandom's thoughts on the current state of Malcom Merlyn and his place in the ongoing story, but I feel like not even the most ardent Malcom fan could really get on board with what the show is doing with the character, or more like what they're allowing him to get away with without equal response. Merlyn has done some truly horrible stuff, but before now he gets away with it because he was still this insane but fun presence on the show.

But now? I can't stand to look at him and am constantly baffled by Thea and Ollie's reactions, which feel disproportional to the reality of Malcom's actions. If this were Slade, Ollie would've thrown his ass in a prison cell on Lian Yu by now.

Maybe this goes without saying but I did not like this latest episode. Almost nothing about it worked for me. Vixen's debut wasn't as auspicious as I'd have liked, despite me being absolutely smitten with the actress who plays her. It must be the effects and action scenes. Boy, those were bad.

I don't trawl the internet looking for (b)Arrow-fandom's thoughts on the current state of Malcom Merlyn and his place in the ongoing story, but I feel like not even the most ardent Malcom fan could really get on board with what the show is doing with the character, or more like what they're allowing him to get away with without equal response. Merlyn has done some truly horrible stuff, but before now he gets away with it because he was still this insane but fun presence on the show.

But now? I can't to look at him and am constantly baffled by Thea and Ollie's reactions, which feel disproportional in the face of Malcom's actions. If this were Slade, Ollie would've thrown his ass in a prison cell on Lian Yu by now.

The only real explanation is that the showrunners (and the fandom) love Barrowman. Merlyn should have been killed long ago, and I'm hoping he really dies at the end of the season.

- J - D -

The only real explanation is that the showrunners (and the fandom) love Barrowman. Merlyn should have been killed long ago, and I'm hoping he really dies at the end of the season.

Why wait? The show comes back in a month and there's still more than a half dozen episodes left. There's really no reason for Malcom to exist on this show anymore. No one cares about him. He's burnt every bridge and is powerless. All that's left is his insatiable ego and thirst for vengeance that Ollie and the Arrow crew will most certainly continue to overlook.

I like Barrowman, but I feel like at this point in the show he's really just coasting. I can't blame him given what's he's given to work with.

Magwik

Banned

But now? I can't stand to look at him and am constantly baffled by Thea and Ollie's reactions, which feel disproportional to the reality of Malcom's actions. If this were Slade, Ollie would've thrown his ass in a prison cell on Lian Yu by now.

Maybe this goes without saying but I did not like this latest episode. Almost nothing about it worked for me. Vixen's debut wasn't as auspicious as I'd have liked, despite me being absolutely smitten with the actress who plays her. It must be the effects and action scenes. Boy, those were bad.
Even I want Merlyn to go at this rate. And this is coming from someone who has rocked John Barrowman related avatars here for the past 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom