• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Can we have a 'hate-watch' Arrow thread and a normal Arrow thread? Because I'm sorry, but this thread is on the verge of being as insufferable as the Season 3 thread was.
Good question. I've been on the other end of a hate-watch thread and it's painful. Don't remember Season 3 being that bad (maybe towards the end). There were definitely a lot of highs within S3 that everyone were on board with though. Mid-season finale was still the best they ever did.

I feel like the Arrow Writer's Room is just one big Olicity circle jerk to be honest.
Barf.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Good question. I've been on the other end of a hate-watch thread and it's painful. Don't remember Season 3 being that bad (maybe towards the end). There were definitely a lot of highs within S3 that everyone were on board with though. Mid-season finale was still the best they ever did.

Barf.

The problem isn't people mocking the show, it's the lack of joy. I mocked Lost plenty on TWOP back in the day, but it was a fun thread. We enjoyed ripping the show. When it's actual "God this show sucks don't enjoy it at all" nearly every week, it's the worst to read.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Barf.

The problem isn't people mocking the show, it's the lack of joy. I mocked Lost plenty on TWOP back in the day, but it was a fun thread. We enjoyed ripping the show. When it's actual "God this show sucks don't enjoy it at all" nearly every week, it's the worst to read.

JDB

Banned
Can we have a 'hate-watch' Arrow thread and a normal Arrow thread? Because I'm sorry, but this thread is on the verge of being as insufferable as the Season 3 thread was.

Saying the writing is shit doesn't mean I'm hate watching. It's not even possible to argue that it's good. It's legitimately bad. The last few pages are people arguing about whether someone gets to have a say in a child's life that they didn't even know existed 48 hours earlier.

This mentality that you need to enjoy stuff without complaining is stupid. Poor writing hasn't stopped me from enjoying Star Wars, there's not some mandatory rule that you must pretend everything is flawless about a product you like.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Seriously, this series has become so bizarrely redundant. Episode-to-episode, we've repeated so many beats that you can practically form a drinking game out of it.

"Take a shot every time a fight ends poorly, with the next scene being Oliver walking into the lair holding his bow, barking orders or criticism with everyone else in-tow arguing with him."
"Take a shot every time Malcolm Merlyn walks into a room mid-sentence with a perfectly lame interjection."
"Take a shot every time someone dramatically emphasizes the words 'this city'."
"Take a shot every time a fight scene ends with absolutely nothing having been accomplished."

Like this show is so set on how important Damien Darkh is, how dangerous HIVE is, every single episode is wrapped up with the same boring tasks with zero variation. How many more pointless fights with generic HIVE goons do we have to endure? This show had a massive misstep bringing him in so early, so big, and so involved, that it's made everything have to be about him. But it feels like they've gone nowhere with it.

These characters have all become so superheroic that they've stopped being relatable. Remember when these characters had shit going on? People whined alot about Laurel's shittiness in Season 2, but it atleast went somewhere dramatically. Her drinking, her AA, how it affects her dad, etc. Ollie is running for mayor, but it still barely feels like it at times.

Felicity having a single episode to deal with her new handicap, only to then get a fucking superchip? Fuck off. She atleast had a wrinkle with her dad, but that's already over now.

How bout an episode focused on Thea saving an old, drug-addicted friend; a dark reminder of a path she was once on? Or some time focusing on Laurel being a D.A.? Or Oliver having discovered major dirt on a major campaign contributor that he kinda needs to win?

These constant battles with HIVE have become so meaningless and redundant that acouple goons with a sledgehammer and a nail gun stick out. Like... fucking hell. I can remember Flash villains. Even the ones that don't do a whole lot. And once the season's big bad takes over the plot, I remember that too. I don't remember a fucking thing that Damien Darkh has done.

This show is in bad need for new scenarios. Group fights that aren't just a bunch of people awkwardly flailing and spinning with no real weight. Characters connecting outside of the same repeated sets (apartment, lair, office, campaign office). Remember when Ollie, Diggle, and Tommy would just go for burgers? And then he took his mom for burgers? That was sweet. That felt sorta real, sorta human. But nothing about this show feels human anymore.

I don't even need to mention the flashbacks.

I don't know if I'll continue after this season. For a season that was meant to bring life back to the show, it's failed miserably. Season 1 had it's problems, and Season 2 took a while to get going, but in hindsight, they felt like... I dunno, a show. Not just meaningless busywork.

Sephzilla

I feel like the flashback sequences stopped being necessary after season 2's finale. Oliver at that point had learned how to kill, survive, everyone on the island was dead/gone, and all of the island based storylines had wrapped up. At that point they should have just said Oliver survived on the island for a few more years before making it home.

Saying the writing is shit doesn't mean I'm hate watching. It's not even possible to argue that it's good. It's legitimately bad. The last few pages are people arguing about whether someone gets to have a say in a child's life that they didn't even know existed 48 hours earlier.

This mentality that you need to enjoy stuff without complaining is stupid. Poor writing hasn't stopped me from enjoying Star Wars, there's not some mandatory rule that you must pretend everything is flawless about a product you like.

Thanks for this.

Joni

This mentality that you need to enjoy stuff without complaining is stupid.
If however people are only complaining and not listening to arguments because they made up their minds, then it is ruining the enjoyment of others.

ZeroX03

Banned

That the Star Wars fanbase is incapable of not complaining has killed any interest I have in discussing it with anyone. Star Wars is a great example of fans who need to move the fuck on from endless prequel complaining, but never ever will.

I think it gets to a point where once a criticism has been made enough times, the writers will either address it or the viewers will need to adjust to it. People need to get strapped in for Olicity, because it's here for years and the people who dislike it are the minority. Past a certain point the complaining just becomes redundant and toxic for the fan base. Especially for something like comic book shows where it's mostly just popcorn entertainment, we don't need to keep that sharp of a critical eye. I don't think skewing towards positive discussion is a bad thing. It's certainly more welcoming to new viewers.

Seriously, this series has become so bizarrely redundant. Episode-to-episode, we've repeated so many beats that you can practically form a drinking game out of it.

"Take a shot every time a fight ends poorly, with the next scene being Oliver walking into the lair holding his bow, barking orders or criticism with everyone else in-tow arguing with him."
"Take a shot every time Malcolm Merlyn walks into a room mid-sentence with a perfectly lame interjection."
"Take a shot every time someone dramatically emphasizes the words 'this city'."
"Take a shot every time a fight scene ends with absolutely nothing having been accomplished."

Like this show is so set on how important Damien Darkh is, how dangerous HIVE is, every single episode is wrapped up with the same boring tasks with zero variation. How many more pointless fights with generic HIVE goons do we have to endure? This show had a massive misstep bringing him in so early, so big, and so involved, that it's made everything have to be about him. But it feels like they've gone nowhere with it.

These characters have all become so superheroic that they've stopped being relatable. Remember when these characters had shit going on? People whined alot about Laurel's shittiness in Season 2, but it atleast went somewhere dramatically. Her drinking, her AA, how it affects her dad, etc. Ollie is running for mayor, but it still barely feels like it at times.

Felicity having a single episode to deal with her new handicap, only to then get a fucking superchip? Fuck off. She atleast had a wrinkle with her dad, but that's already over now.

How bout an episode focused on Thea saving an old, drug-addicted friend; a dark reminder of a path she was once on? Or some time focusing on Laurel being a D.A.? Or Oliver having discovered major dirt on a major campaign contributor that he kinda needs to win?

These constant battles with HIVE have become so meaningless and redundant that acouple goons with a sledgehammer and a nail gun stick out. Like... fucking hell. I can remember Flash villains. Even the ones that don't do a whole lot. And once the season's big bad takes over the plot, I remember that too. I don't remember a fucking thing that Damien Darkh has done.

This show is in bad need for new scenarios. Group fights that aren't just a bunch of people awkwardly flailing and spinning with no real weight. Characters connecting outside of the same repeated sets (apartment, lair, office, campaign office). Remember when Ollie, Diggle, and Tommy would just go for burgers? And then he took his mom for burgers? That was sweet. That felt sorta real, sorta human. But nothing about this show feels human anymore.

I don't even need to mention the flashbacks.

I don't know if I'll continue after this season. For a season that was meant to bring life back to the show, it's failed miserably. Season 1 had it's problems, and Season 2 took a while to get going, but in hindsight, they felt like... I dunno, a show. Not just meaningless busywork.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. The show was much better when they mixed real life problems with being a hero, and the balancing act between the two. The season 4 story could have fit in 8 episodes, but they are dragging it out so much to fit 22 episodes.

The show needs to be more focused. Damien Darhk should have been the first half of the season (up to the winter break), and the back half should have been another tale.

Blader

I look forward to the flashbacks. At least those are inching forward to something.

They feel very regressive to me, actually. I strongly dislike this "You're a good man Oliver, let go of your darkness" undercurrent to them because that's the exact opposite of what his island story should be. The flashbacks are supposed to be how Oliver descended from a playboy, airhead kid into a hardened and brutal fighter. As bad and tedious as the S3 flashbacks were, at least they moved Oliver in this direction. The S4 flashbacks are too focused on redeeming Ollie or making him noble when the whole point of the flashbacks in the first place is to draw a contrast between island Oliver and present-day Oliver. And I have a real hard time imagining how they're going to get Oliver in next year's flashbacks to at all match up with the bearded jungle man seen in the beginning of the pilot.

Also, the guy who plays Ryder is probably the show's single worst actor who is saddled with some awful lines. He says the most ridiculous things in the flattest tone.

That the Star Wars fanbase is incapable of not complaining has killed any interest I have in discussing it with anyone. Star Wars is a great example of fans who need to move the fuck on from endless prequel complaining, but never ever will.

I think it gets to a point where once a criticism has been made enough times, the writers will either address it or the viewers will need to adjust to it. People need to get strapped in for Olicity, because it's here for years and the people who dislike it are the minority. Past a certain point the complaining just becomes redundant and toxic for the fan base. Especially for something like comic book shows where it's mostly just popcorn entertainment, we don't need to keep that sharp of a critical eye. I don't think skewing towards positive discussion is a bad thing. It's certainly more welcoming to new viewers.

Don't need to dull it either. There's a certain baseline expectation you can have even for genre shows, and when it falls below that, it's okay to go, "Hey. This sucks for x, y and x."

They feel very regressive to me, actually. I strongly dislike this "You're a good man Oliver, let go of your darkness" undercurrent to them because that's the exact opposite of what his island story should be. The flashbacks are supposed to be how Oliver descended from a playboy, airhead kid into a hardened and brutal fighter. As bad and tedious as the S3 flashbacks were, at least they moved Oliver in this direction. The S4 flashbacks are too focused on redeeming Ollie or making him noble when the whole point of the flashbacks in the first place is to draw a contrast between island Oliver and present-day Oliver. And I have a real hard time imagining how they're going to get Oliver in next year's flashbacks to at all match up with the bearded jungle man seen in the beginning of the pilot.
Yeah, I definitely agree with that. He should have be reluctant to kill people in the flashbacks and should be more like how he was in season 1.

JDB

Banned

Olicity was fine in the first half of the season. I don't think many people were complaining about it, and the reactions I saw were that people were surprised at how it turned out. Everything went to shit after the crossover. From the absolutely stupid ultimatum from Samantha, to Felicity getting upset that she doesn't have a say in something that doesn't involve her, to Oliver keeping secrets even though he knows keeping secrets only ends up bad.

There's not much of a positive discussion to be had with Arrow right now. Flash isn't that great either, but at least the midseason finale can get people talking about their Zoom theories. Arrow leaves you wondering the fate of Olicity

also PT > OT

Magwik

Banned
97fb9a8a23aa73f9724086682dd554d4.png

RIP Arrow

I get it. The apartment will be a set because they'll be cleaning it out after she dies and is in the grave. Then they will find something there that reminds Felicity to rekindle her relationship with that one guy who wears green and shoots arrows.

ZeroX03

Banned
Hopefully Felicity and Momma Smoak move in together and instead of flashbacks we get brief interludes of multi-cam mother daughter comedy.

strafer

Is anyone creeped out how the way Felicitys mom dresses? I mean, cleavage that could cut the moon in half.

Not the way she should see her mom.

Johndoey

Banned
Mama Smoak, Diggle, and Thea are the only decent parts of the show right now. Dahrk had a strong start but really disintegrated as time went on.

Johndoey

Banned
Yo dawg ya'll be foolin' on my main man Zero, not ya'll straighten up or ima hafa get started on some lunchin' era fools, na wha i mean tho? cause some a ya'll straight buggin'.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Show is really starting to turn me off with the "Olicity" drama, then all the extra unneeded characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom