• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Flash? Awesome!
LoT? Okay, sweet, I guess.
Arrow? Sorry, what is "Arrow"? Oh, Felicity's show. When's CBS going to talk about Supergirl?

Les has said they'll be renewing about five freshman shows, while they have only launched four so far. Supergirl, Limitless, Life In Pieces and Code Black are coming back. It is just not official yet.

Platy

Arrow was renewed alongside Flash and Legends!

zWY2z99.gif

Guys...?

*crickets*

magic legends of tomorrow please ! =D

Before Justice League Dark movie project gets of the ground and Constantine enters the same limbo as Deadshot

DeathyBoy

Banned
My dislike of Laurel made me always want to defend Felicity.

But I just can't anymore.

The hatred for Felicity is genuinely bewildering at this point. Dislike? Sure. But people are getting way too worked up over that character. It actually makes me feel genuinely uncomfortable hearing the sheer vitriol.

Kard8p3

The hatred for Felicity is genuinely bewildering at this point. Dislike? Sure. But people are getting way too worked up over that character. It actually makes me feel genuinely uncomfortable hearing the sheer vitriol.

I mean is her character any deeper than "omg ollie salmon ladder
BrokeBack.png
BrokeBack.png
" "le internet
RitzMitz.png
" and "omg sad moment
BibleThump.png
"?

I mean sure she had that thing with her dad and she was paralyzed..but both of those got wrapped up in 2 minutes.

I just think she's not very interesting as a character. I also don't mind sad moments in CW shows (Grant is hella good at pulling on the heart strings), but..Felicity's sad scenes are just fuckin' laughable.

KonradLaw

Yeah I agree he did a great job as Constantine but a show has to stand on a lot more then then good acting from the lead character.

Well..you have to consider the genre though. While Constantine was shaky, it was still better start than anything else in the "human fighting monsters" category. Penny Dreadful excluded, but that's a very different kind of show.

Constantine had great lead, great IP and seemed to be improving and getting bolder and bolder. People are mourning the loss of potential more than the loss of the show itself.

And on renewals...nice. I hope everything DC related gets renewed. What's left is..iZombie, Gothan and Lucifer, right? Lucifer and Gotham seems like a safe bets. Only iZombie is up in the air.

KonradLaw

People are hating on Felicity? Why? I could see it in S3, but outside of the latest walking out scene she';s been fine in this season.

I do think Team Arrow could use some culling. Or a lot of it. Too many masked people running around these days.

Well..you have to consider the genre though. While Constantine was shaky, it was still better start than anything else in the "human fighting monsters" category. Penny Dreadful excluded, but that's a very different kind of show.

Constantine had great lead, great IP and seemed to be improving and getting bolder and bolder. People are mourning the loss of potential more than the loss of the show itself.

And on renewals...nice. I hope everything DC related gets renewed. What's left is..iZombie, Gothan and Lucifer, right? Lucifer and Gotham seems like a safe bets. Only iZombie is up in the air.
iZombie has already been renewed.

I mean, did you guys watch Family Matters back in the day?

Who was the main character? Did you think Urkel? He wasn't supposed to be, but the show twisted itself around him. Now it's happening again to Arrow.

Joni

Who was the main character? Did you think Urkel? He wasn't supposed to be, but the show twisted itself around him. Now it's happening again to Arrow.

And in the end, did anyone want to watch the adventures of Harriet, the lift elevator operator? They wanted to see Urkel mess with Carl.

Mifune

Mehmber
So nobody likes this show anymore?

That's kinda sad to hear. I'm only near the beginning of Season 2 and it's finally starting to get good.

So nobody likes this show anymore?

That's kinda sad to hear. I'm only near the beginning of Season 2 and it's finally starting to get good.
General consensus seems to be the first two seasons are well-liked and nearly everyone agrees season 2 is the best. It's just season 3 and 4 people are having the real issues with the show.

People are hating on Felicity? Why? I could see it in S3, but outside of the latest walking out scene she';s been fine in this season.

I do think Team Arrow could use some culling. Or a lot of it. Too many masked people running around these days.

The show needs a big shakeup, things have become too samey and quite predictable.

Current Arrow formula:

1. Find bad guy
  2. Attack bad guy and fail
  3. Oliver walks back into base holding his bow and complains to the team as they follow behind him
  4. Miscellaneous character drama
  5. Defeat bad guy

KonradLaw

General consensus seems to be the first two seasons are well-liked and nearly everyone agrees season 2 is the best. It's just season 3 and 4 people are having the real issues with the show.

I feel like S4 is probably the overall best one so far. I mean the intiial episodes at least. S1 and S2 had some real stinkers in first halfs. S3 was weird, as I felt it was Arrow at it's best and at it's worst; Some of it's episodes stand head and shoulders above anything the show has ever made, but it also has eps and plot threads that are the worst thing it ever did.

S4 so far has been pretty consistently good. More than earlier seasons managed to achieve. But at the same time it lacks standouts.

But then again, I've only started watching the show in holiday lul. I think generally marathoning tends to smooth out the rough edges.

The show needs a big shakeup, things have become too samey and quite predictable.

Current Arrow formula:

1. Find bad guy
  3. Oliver walks back into base holding his bow and complains to the team as they follow behind him
  5. Defeat bad guy

Every berlanti show has its own strict formula with the exception of a couple legends of tomorrow episodes but that will establish something soon enough as well

I hate it. Wish they could shake things up, it's cool for a season but once you see right through it the shows kind of get weaker imo.

Mifune

Mehmber

I feel like S4 is probably the overall best one so far. I mean the intiial episodes at least. S1 and S2 had some real stinkers in first halfs. S3 was weird, as I felt it was Arrow at it's best and at it's worst; Some of it's episodes stand head and shoulders above anything the show has ever made, but it also has eps and plot threads that are the worst thing it ever did.

S4 so far has been pretty consistently good. More than earlier seasons managed to achieve. But at the same time it lacks standouts.

But then again, I've only started watching the show in holiday lul. I think generally marathoning tends to smooth out the rough edges.

Cool. I'll definitely enjoy S2 and keep going from there. I found S1 to be almost unbearably tedious.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Current Arrow formula:

1. Find bad guy
  5. Defeat bad guy

Hope you don't watch Flash because their formula became pretty clear in Season 1. They could both stand to mess around with their formula a bit.

KonradLaw

Amell doesn't like doing them. He needs to workout beforehand, and it's hard to get time to hit the gym when you're the lead of a show.
Shame. They sold the idea of peak human better than anything else I've seen in superhero live action.

Removing them alongside downraging Oliver in combat scenes kind of robs him of superhero status and reduces him to mere vigilante.

I mean, it's really nothing like that.

Take that formula:

1. Find bad guy
  5. Defeat bad guy

The Felicity part is largely relegated to number #4, outside of any episodes dedicated to her. Diggle, Thea, and Laurel have all gotten focus episodes where they've been various degrees of good or stupid. (Yeah, when Laurel is the focus, she suffers.)

I mean, it's really nothing like that.

Take that formula:

1. Find bad guy
  5. Defeat bad guy

The Felicity part is largely relegated to number #4, outside of any episodes dedicated to her. Diggle, Thea, and Laurel have all gotten focus episodes where they've been various degrees of good or stupid. (Yeah, when Laurel is the focus, she suffers.)
I mean, I don't hate the show, but #4 kind is pretty prominent and has scenes throughout the entire episode. Take, for example, the episode where Ruve tries to have those thugs sabotage Oliver before their mayoral debate. It starts with her giving Oliver an exploding party invitation, and then some stuff happens, and then it's them in their apartment with her mom, planning the wedding, and then the bad guys show up, and then it's her again, hacking the system on WiFi, and then the fight, and then the episode closes with more of her bullshit. That's how these episodes go now:

1. Felicity bullshit
  2. Find bad guy
  3. Felicity bullshit
  4. Attack bad guy and fail
  5. Oliver walks back into base holding his bow and complains to the team as they follow behind him
  6. Felicity bullshit
  7. Miscellaneous character drama (Felicity bullshit)
  8. Defeat bad guy
  9. Felicity bullshit

I don't have much of a problem with Felicity herself, its just she's become a huge focus of the character drama at the expense of everyone else, it makes sense in a way since she's so closely connected to the MC but it still sucks.

Besides Felicity no one else seems to have a life, friends, or anything going on aside from their superhero shit. Star City used to feel a lot bigger and more alive earlier in the show.

I don't have much of a problem with Felicity herself, its just she's become a huge focus of the character drama at the expense of everyone else, it makes sense in a way since she's so closely connected to the MC but it still sucks.

Besides Felicity no one else seems to have a life, friends, or anything going on aside from their superhero shit. Star City used to feel a lot bigger and more alive earlier in the show.

The time where Laurel was working in the DA office feels so far away now.

Yeah the show spends more and more time focused on being vigilantes, and real life is becoming a thing of the past.

Female romantic leads on CW shows tend to be terrible unless their names are Lois Lane or Patty Spivot.

Season 5 should be the final year of Flashbacks. They're going to have to pad out the day jobs of Team Arrow to not cut the show down to thirty minutes in Season 6.

I mean, I don't hate the show, but #4 kind is pretty prominent and has scenes throughout the entire episode. Take, for example, the episode where Ruve tries to have those thugs sabotage Oliver before their mayoral debate. It starts with her giving Oliver an exploding party invitation, and then some stuff happens, and then it's them in their apartment with her mom, planning the wedding, and then the bad guys show up, and then it's her again, hacking the system on WiFi, and then the fight, and then the episode closes with more of her bullshit. That's how these episodes go now:

Yeah, not seeing it. Felicity is the focus on Felicity episodes, otherwise she came up in the relation to Oliver's son.

She is no different than any other romantic lead in a CW show.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, I wish it was on Netflix so it'd have 12 episodes and still feel 6 episodes too long, too.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ugh. Wish CW had new demographics, or that the Arrowverse stuff was on netflix or a "premium" channel.

I'd hate the Arrowverse on Netflix, episodes would run too long and it'd be 13 episodes all about the one villain. Need a little bit of camp and filler. Netflix drama is like a really tough steak, it's hard to chew through. The CW is ice cream or hamburgers or something, less substance but goes down easily.

My ideal format is 20 minute comedies, 25-35 minute dramedies, 40-45 minute dramas. 50+ minute stuff has to be incredibly compelling to work at that length, seeing as a lot of premium pacing is glacial. Looking at you JJ.

8-10 episodes for heavily serialized stuff, 16-20 for longer run stuff. Supergirl and Legends having a few less episodes than Arrow and Flash helps I think.

All fair criticisms, at this point I'd settle for any network that doesn't seemingly mandate that their leads in drama be constantly enveloped in overpoweringly awful relationship drama.

Truly, I think that last episode of Arrow broke me..

KonradLaw

All fair criticisms, at this point I'd settle for any network that doesn't seemingly mandate that their leads in drama be constantly enveloped in overpoweringly awful relationship drama.

Truly, I think that last episode of Arrow broke me..

Not all CW shows are like that. The 100 isn't anything like that. In fact, as far as characters go I would say it's the best show on TV right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom