• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
An interesting fact that you probably shouldn't read anything into, but pretty much the entire cast but Emily Bett Rickards were at that Heroes and Villains Fan Fest in Chicago over the weekend. Even the dude who plays Tommy and Nyssa were there.

Don't read into it. EBR isn't at every convention, she doesn't actually do many other than Comic Con I think. Barrowman wasn't there either, and he's a big convention guy. Prior commitments and so on.

And Colin Donnell works on Chicago Med, filmed in Chicago, of course he was there.

Looks like she was hanging out with her BFF Colton and Raven.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCmYynBCKSd/

IIRC, on the Girl on Guy podcast she mentioned that she has barely any free time anymore and tries to spend what she can with her best friend.

I'm almost caught up with you guys. I just started on episode 10 of the season, and with that brings DC's Legends of Tomorrow. So, there's another show to watch.

I'm still not really about Laurel. Her personality is grating and she comes off as selfish. No thanks.

Joni

IIRC, on the Girl on Guy podcast she mentioned that she has barely any free time anymore and tries to spend what she can with her best friend.
Considering the amount of fun they seem to have, I can't fault her for that. I can only be jealous on how awesome of a fit they seem to be.

I'm almost caught up with you guys. I just started on episode 10 of the season, and with that brings DC's Legends of Tomorrow. So, there's another show to watch.

I'm still not really about Laurel. Her personality is grating and she comes off as selfish. No thanks.
Laurel doesn't even do anything anymore, I don't even have an opinion about her.

CdsT7B5XEAI-42Y.jpg
Maybe a haircut is just a haircut, but...

Random question but does anyone know why Laurel was called Laurel and not Dinah in the first place? I know her name in the comics is Dinah Laurel Lance but she seemed to never be called the second part by anyone. Did they think Dinah was a stupid name in live action or something?

CdsT7B5XEAI-42Y.jpg
Maybe a haircut is just a haircut, but...
She had brunette hair come season 1, and is practically blonde now, I'm not sure a change in hair color means automatic death threat.

Random question but does anyone know why Laurel was called Laurel and not Dinah in the first place? I know her name in the comics is Dinah Laurel Lance but she seemed to never be called the second part by anyone. Did they think Dinah was a stupid name in live action or something?

She had brunette hair come season 1, and is practically blonde now, I'm not sure a change in hair color means automatic death threat.
I think in the very beginning, they (or at least we) weren't sure if Laurel would actually be Black Canary. That was back during the time when metahumans were off the table and when Oliver was still the main character.

I think in the very beginning, they (or at least we) weren't sure if Laurel would actually be Black Canary. That was back during the time when metahumans were off the table and when Oliver was still the main character.
That's kind of odd. Why would they give her a different name just because they didn't know if they would go the comic route? Did they really think that having her called Dinah upfront would make people think 'she's gonna start screaming any second now'.

My assumption, which is just an assumption, is that they were hedging their bets in case DC was going to embargo Black Canary. It was also a happy bonus that it got the audience guessing, I guess.

Or perhaps they named her ambiguously so that we wouldn't know for sure what their future plans were. Remember how we all thought that Tommy Merlyn would end up being the big bad Merlyn before they swerved and gave us Malcolm? Or better yet, when we got what we thought was Deathstroke, but it was really Billy Wintergreen, while Slade Wilson was just some commando guy on the island?

To be fair, having her go by her middle name is the least of the name changes in the Arrowverse.

Larry Lance became Quentin Lance.

Ira and Nadine West became Joe and Francine West. (and Ira West was a physicist, not a cop)

Michael Holt became Curtis Holt.

Arthur King became Malcolm Merlyn.

If I had to guess, I'd assume it's that they thought that Dinah was an old lady name, and Laurel was a younger name better suited to a primary love interest.

GulAtiCa

Also, even since the beginning she was always Dinah Laurel Lance (She says it outloud too in court in episode 5 when Oliver is accused of being The Hood), they just made it to that she prefers her middle name.

I wouldn't take her new hair style as meaning anything.

Joni

Laurel Lance is an easy name, it is easy to remember. And it allowed them to play on our expectations with her mother being Dinah.

rrc1594

Is me or has Laurel become very enjoyable over the last two seasons. I use to dislike her, but it's as Felicity has absorb all that hate

Makonero

Is me or has Laurel become very enjoyable over the last two seasons. I use to dislike her, but it's as Felicity has absorb all that hate

Outside of her issues with Sara (reviving her, not telling her dad what) she's been a refreshing breeze this season. I really liked the moment where she tells her dad that even though she knew Ollie had cheated on her, it still hurt to find out that he had a kid with someone else while they were dating. A nice little human moment.

They really need to find a way to make the canary cry less ridiculous looking though.

GulAtiCa

I like the character building Laurel has gotten last 2 years. Really glown.

I really hope they dive into her meta-human abilities and that she starts doing that and instead of the collar device.

I like the character building Laurel has gotten last 2 years. Really glown.

I really hope they dive into her meta-human abilities and that she starts doing that and instead of the collar device.

The collar isn't the problem. The problem is that it looks very silly.

I don't care how much of it they would be pulling out of their asses, if Laurel is just randomly walking down the street and someone tosses radioactive waste down her throat, I'll buy it if it means that she gains the Canary Cry as an actual superpower.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't see the point in killing off Laurel just to replace her with another hero.

At the root of many criticisms of the show currently is the fact that there are too many heroes to focus on.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The canary cry is incredibly stupid as it is now, and furthermore, if it's so fucking great and it's just a wearable device, why don't they all use one? And why does she only use it like once every 2 weeks?

(Arrow is a bad show, guys.)

Also the fight scenes are all total junk now and every other episode starts with a van or truck chase. Okay I'm done.

Sephzilla

I don't see the point in killing off Laurel just to replace her with another hero.

At the root of many criticisms of the show currently is the fact that there are too many heroes to focus on.

I don't mind there being a lot of heroes, what I don't like is that so many of them are basically vaulted to "main character" status. Arrow worked best when it was Oliver/Diggle/Sara as the "main heroes" while people like Laurel, Felicity, and Thea were supporting characters.

Sephzilla

It's not that I don't like Laurel, it's just that Sara's the superior Canary in basically every way.

-- Better fighter
-- Better costume
-- Better backstory
-- Better character
-- Better interaction with Oliver

I would be perfectly okay with there being a culling of Arrow characters and in the end we're down to Oliver, Diggle, Sara, and Felicity.

Because she's on Legends. Every Arrow character becomes much more interesting when they're not on Arrow. They're not used as plot devices but rather actual characters.

I kind of agree with you that Legends has helped her character. But the end result is that Sara (and Captain Cold) are left carrying a much weaker show, because lets face it Legends is easily the weakest Arrowverse show.

Effect

who is going to stop watching this show if
Laurel dies? There is heavy sign pointed toward her death in the show.

I don't know if I'd stop but Arrow is the least looked forward of all the comic book shows I watch save Agents of Shield. So if that happen I'd have even less reason to watch and might reduce the show to something I watch on the weekends and not bother to try watching it live on Wednesdays. I like that character. Right now I only really watch out of habit to be honest. While this season is better then season 3 there are a number of things that keep happening that remind me the bad season 3 had.

Dysun

I kind of agree with you that Legends has helped her character. But the end result is that Sara (and Captain Cold) are left carrying a much weaker show, because lets face it Legends is easily the weakest Arrowverse show.
I'd put Legends and Arrow on the same level without hesitation

But yes, I see your point about characterization being totally absent from Arrow if you aren't Olicity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom