• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

All fair criticisms, at this point I'd settle for any network that doesn't seemingly mandate that their leads in drama be constantly enveloped in overpoweringly awful relationship drama.

Truly, I think that last episode of Arrow broke me..
Then stop watching, it is that simple. The CW offers a wide range of shows without romance drama but it is necessary for comic shows considering people like Lois and MJ are almost as important as their leads.

Ithil

Let me introduce you to Lana "TELL ME YOUR SECRET, CLARK!" Lang.

2815979-lana_lang.jpg

Fire this character into the Sun. The absolute dirt worst.

Chloe pretty much became what Felicity is though she wasn't nearly as much of a focus for all the show's relationship drama.

There are shows on The CW where the relationship drama major component, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Jane the Virgin but both are much, much better written and executed while not sacrificing characters for it.

Ugh. Wish CW had new demographics, or that the Arrowverse stuff was on netflix or a "premium" channel.

Funny thing is one of the supposed original reasons for the CW picking up Arrow was to bring back the male demo it had lost over the years of focusing on the "teen girl" audience. Obviously they still had something for the ladies but over the years it seems like that's become a greater focus.

Chloe was always better than Lana even after the writers started fixing their gaze on Chloe after Lana left she didn't get as annoying. But still Felicity is pretty similar in that they're both basically characters created (Felicity's history in the comics is irrelevant) by the show and because of it started to get preferable treatment though Arrow has gone way overboard with it including pandering in a way that even Smallville never did.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Chloe was always better than Lana even after the writers started fixing their gaze on Chloe after Lana left she didn't get as annoying. But still Felicity is pretty similar in that they're both basically characters created (Felicity's history in the comics is irrelevant) by the show and because of it started to get preferable treatment though Arrow has gone way overboard with it including pandering in a way that even Smallville never did.

Less this, more they like the actress to be honest. Same reason Diggle is still there. Cast anyone else in those roles, both characters would've been gone by the end of S1.

Less this, more they like the actress to be honest. Same reason Diggle is still there. Cast anyone else in those roles, both characters would've been gone by the end of S1.

Writers fall in love with their own creations all the time, but yeah... Early on Millar and Gough were obsessed with Kreuk certainly did play a role on how prominent Lana was.

Then stop watching, it is that simple. The CW offers a wide range of shows without romance drama but it is necessary for comic shows considering people like Lois and MJ are almost as important as their leads.

I completely disagree. A comic-book show can work just fine without having the majority of dramatic tension having to come from character romances.

As to your first point, it's looking more and more likely that I will do just that, but until then I'll feel free to continue posting my thoughts on Arrow in this Arrow |OT|. I'll try to be fair to the show, but like I said previously, that last episode really burned me and it sucks because I've really liked watching the show up until more recently (yes, even during season 3).

I completely disagree. A comic-book show can work just fine without having the majority of dramatic tension having to come from character romances.

A majority of the dramatic tension is "these bad guys are going to kill one of the Arrow crew or a bystander, how do we stop them?" Beyond that, yeah, comics spend a good bit of time with romantic tension because comics spend a good bit of time on character relationships and romance is only one of those facets. (See, Oliver and Diggle's rough patch at the beginning of this season or Thea anytime Oliver tries to get her to do something.)

A huge focal point of many heroes are their relationships. Oliver Queen in the comics had Dinah Lance, Sandra Hawke, Faith, Bonnie King, Manitou Dawn, and Joanna Turner.

What about Spider-Man? Which relationship do you want to focus on? Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy, Liz Allen, Betty Brant, Carlie Cooper, Michele Gonzales, Debra Whitman, or the Black Cat?

For most films and TV shows about comic heroes, the leading cast always contains a love interest. And the real difference between a movie and television show is the ability to actually delve into those romances and the conflict they would entail. Now you can dislike the execution, but to say romantic drama isn't a huge part of superheroes is simply wrong.

A majority of the dramatic tension is "these bad guys are going to kill one of the Arrow crew or a bystander, how do we stop them?" Beyond that, yeah, comics spend a good bit of time with romantic tension because comics spend a good bit of time on character relationships and romance is only one of those facets. (See, Oliver and Diggle's rough patch at the beginning of this season or Thea anytime Oliver tries to get her to do something.)

A huge focal point of many heroes are their relationships. Oliver Queen in the comics had Dinah Lance, Sandra Hawke, Faith, Bonnie King, Manitou Dawn, and Joanna Turner.

What about Spider-Man? Which relationship do you want to focus on? Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy, Liz Allen, Betty Brant, Carlie Cooper, Michele Gonzales, Debra Whitman, or the Black Cat?

For most films and TV shows about comic heroes, the leading cast always contains a love interest. And the real difference between a movie and television show is the ability to actually delve into those romances and the conflict they would entail. Now you can dislike the execution, but to say romantic drama isn't a huge part of superheroes is simply wrong.

Hell, romantic drama propelled Superman through the silver age, and the corniest most ridiculous sort of drama at that.

I was specific in my claim that a comic-book show can work without the majority of dramatic tension coming from character romances, and I stand by the statement. Precedence in comic books has no influence on my thinking this.

Joni

I was specific in my claim that a comic-book show can work without the majority of dramatic tension coming from character romances, and I stand by the statement. Precedence in comic books has no influence on my thinking this.
It would just lead to a quick repetition of story lines which is why every comic book show has delved into it. And it is part of the atmosphere to make a valid comic book show

Next season I hope they drop the flashbacks to the island. I kinda want them to do a flash forward to the
Uprising
shown in LoT. Would mix it up and make for a different dynamic.

ZeroX03

Banned
Next season I hope they drop the flashbacks to the island. I kinda want them to do a flash forward to the
Uprising
shown in LoT. Would mix it up and make for a different dynamic.

They won't drop the final year of flashbacks unless they really want to stall it out until a final season. We're getting the ending of the island whether we want it or not.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Next season they have to not only keep Oliver on the island, but he has to basically go into survivalist mode. Tattered clothes and ZZ Top beard, because it's the last year before he gets found. I'd be okay if they kept the flashbacks to a minimum and thought smaller. Don't have him on the island dealing with some no name villain. Just make it about him surviving the elements. They should just watch The Revenant and get some inspiration from that.

Felicity is no Lois or MJ, she's a nothing in the comics. And there is a difference to including relationship drama and having having relationship drama smother the show and be the main focus.

Joni

Felicity is no Lois or MJ, she's a nothing in the comics. And there is a difference to including relationship drama and having having relationship drama smother the show and be the main focus.

Of course the character used is different, but Mary Jane and Lois are illustrations of romance being important in the comics as well.

Very well said .
You can dislike how they are doing it ( which i am at the current moment )
But romance and the drama that comes with it is a big part of superheroes.

Oddduck

There's nothing wrong with romances in comic book shows or movies. Some of the best stories in comic books are romance stories.

Felicity is only good in small doses. In the early seasons, I liked her quirky, adorable, awkward personality -- as well as her offhanded jokes. But the character just doesn't work that well as a dramatic female-lead. Nothing against the actress, I know she's doing her best.

Also, Felicity's god-like hacking abilities have become a detriment to this show. It's made the show boring in some ways. No matter what it is, it's going to be hacked in five seconds with a few keystrokes. Her hacking has become a pseudo-super power, where sometimes it feels like the rest of Team Arrow is pointless.

Anyways, I realize that I'm beating a dead horse.

I'll say this about Arrow S4. I think it's been an okay season. I don't dislike it like some people in this thread apparently do. But I don't think it's a great season either.

ZeroX03

Banned
Based on what? I see nothing pointing that way currently.

There's the set leaks:
rumored episode title for #19 is "Canary Cry" and the episode features flashbacks to what very much looks like Sara's funeral, a modern day funeral that Laurel hasn't been seen at and Alex Kingston at one of them. Seems very likely it's a Lance of some kind dying.

I don't really see any evidence that she's going to die in show though. She's being ignored mostly at the moment. Chesthair seems more on a death arc.

Legends future spoiler:
it could be an 80 year old Lazarus infused Sara dying yet again! As she's returning to the League in 1958 you see.

who is going to stop watching this show if
Laurel dies? There is heavy sign pointed toward her death in the show.
I don't know if I'd stop watching but you can be damn sure the show would go way down the drain for me. I don't think Laurel will die, because it sounds like the most stupid as fuck decision that could ever be made. Oh yeah, have her as Black Canary for a season then kill her off. If the photos showing her not at the funeral are true, then I figure that Lance dies but she can't bring herself to attend it.

Joni

Don't you go and Henry James Olsen on us!
Sara is more fun, she can fight better, she has less emotional background with Oliver, she is cute with Nyssa, we could get more Nyssa.
I also wouldn't mind
just culling Team Arrow by killing Laurel, Thea can perfectly take her team role as female fighter.

tim1138

An interesting fact that you probably shouldn't read anything into, but pretty much the entire cast but Emily Bett Rickards were at that Heroes and Villains Fan Fest in Chicago over the weekend. Even the dude who plays Tommy and Nyssa were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom