• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johndoey

Banned
How about
Arrow Season 4 |OT| Hope can be a horrible thing.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| Adrift, our darkest imaginings welled up unchecked

Magwik

Banned
How about
Arrow Season 4 |OT| Hope can be a horrible thing.

B_pulT3W8AAdeI2.jpg

MartyStu

Laurel is really the only character on the show where it really doesn't make any sense to me to kill her off at this point in the story. Thea could go if you want to bring closure to the Malcolm arc, but killing her is redundant. Diggle could go to bring closure to the HIVE storyline with his brother. Felicity could go because fuck Felicity, and we already have Curtis as a replacement. Chesthair could go because he's the easy candidate that doesn't really fuck up the main team. Laurel is really the only one still at the beginning of her character arc. She finally becomes the Black Canary only for her to get unceremoniously killed off? Fuck off that with shit.

I know the writers/showrunners have been absolute garbage for two seasons now, but I didn't think they had it in them to bring it down this far.

I'm not ready to say that I'll be done with the show if this plays out as expected, but I'm pretty damn close to drawing the line if they don't play it in a way that convinces me.

Where exactly can they go with this character?

Yes this can be said for most characters on the show, but that is the point. Singling
Laurel
out as the only character that someone deserves to live is asinine.

That said, the best thing the show can do is get rid of all the regulars except for Olie, Thea and Curtis.

WedgeX

Banned
So before this place descends into a Civil War, let's start taking new OT title suggestions?

Arrow Season 4 |OT| Sins of the Showrunners

Arrow Season 4 |OT| The Dahrkest Timeline

These. My poorly thought out contribution:

Arrow Season 4 |OT| An ArrowGAF divided against itself

Where exactly can they go with this character?

Yes this can be said for most characters on the show, but that is the point. Singling
Laurel
out as the only character that someone deserves to live is asinine.

That said, the best thing the show can do is get rid of all the regulars except for Olie, Thea and Curtis.

They fumbled Laurel's development for two seasons, finally got her on arc that built toward her being the Black Canary, and now they're going to throw it all away because they wanted a shocking death. Honestly, the best thing for Laurel as a character is to get her out of the shadow of Team Arrow and let her be her own character. Problem is the writers don't know how to do that, so killing her is the easy answer, and it spits in the face of the recent developments for her character and the BC from the comics. Not to mention, we've already had a Canary die, and a Lance kid die. This is already well tread ground, and comes off to me as completely lazy and unnecessary.

But hey, you know, opinions and all that.

MartyStu

They fumbled Laurel's development for two seasons, finally got her on arc that built toward her being the Black Canary, and now they're going to throw it all away because they wanted a shocking death. Honestly, the best thing for Laurel as a character is to get her out of the shadow of Team Arrow and let her be her own character. Problem is the writers don't know how to do that, so killing her is the easy answer, and it spits in the face of the recent developments for her character and the BC from the comics. Not to mention, we've already had a Canary die, and a Lance kid die. This is already well tread ground, and comes off to me as completely lazy and unnecessary.

But hey, you know, opinions and all that.

This spits on the comics? Laurel's entire existence already did that. And at this point, any character dying is pretty much for shock value.

And there is very little point to letting Laurel become her own thing. What they have already established of her character (and to be fair, most of the characters on this show) is very, very dull.

I short, I am not advocating her death, just pointing out that the idea that a character needs to die is flawed, not the actual choice.

Magwik

Banned
It's fun going back to around Page 6 and reading the speculation we all had on the premiere
We all just assumed Laurel was absolutely never going to die. D:
edit:
Arrow Season 4 |OT| Devils don't come from the hell beneath us, they come from Writer's Rooms

Chase17

It's fun going back to around Page 6 and reading the speculation we all had on the premiere
We all just assumed Laurel was absolutely never going to die. D:
edit:
Arrow Season 4 |OT| Devils don't come from the hell beneath us, they come from Writer's Rooms
This is a good one.

This spits on the comics? Laurel's entire existence already did that. And at this point, any character dying is pretty much for shock value.

And there is very little point to letting Laurel become her own thing. What they have already established of her character (and to be fair, most of the characters on this show) is very, very dull.

I short, I am not advocating her death, just pointing out that the idea that a character needs to die is flawed, not the actual choice.

Alright, I'm on board with most of what you've said. I agree that Laurel's writing has largely been piss poor to date, but they were finally course correcting to something closer to the comics iteration, and now this comes along. But yeah, I'll definitely agree that the whole grave set up was unnecessary, and no one needs to die. I still stand by the notion that other characters dying would make more sense to me, but maybe we wouldn't even be having this conversation if the writing that got us to this point wasn't absolute garbage across the board.

Alright, I'm on board with most of what you've said. I agree that Laurel's writing has largely been piss poor to date, but they were finally course correcting to something closer to the comics iteration, and now this comes along. But yeah, I'll definitely agree that the whole grave set up was unnecessary, and no one needs to die. I still stand by the notion that other characters dying would make more sense to me, but maybe we wouldn't even be having this conversation if the writing that got us to this point wasn't absolute garbage across the board.

Nah, they're just going to reboot Laurel with bringing in Earth 2 Laurel as the new main Laurel next season.

GulAtiCa

Nah, they're just going to reboot Laurel with bringing in Earth 2 Laurel as the new main Laurel next season.

This is what I'm REALLY hoping they do. Cause I would really hate to loose her as an actress. It still be cheating. But could work.

It worked easily for Angel with the character of Fred with her somewhat VERY sudden death and birth of the VERY AWESOME illyria

So before this place descends into a Civil War, let's start taking new OT title suggestions?
Arrow Season 4 |OT| BOY DO WE HAVE PROBLEMS UP HERE
Arrow Season 4 |OT| We're Radioactive
Arrow Season 4 |OT| Dexter Season 9
Regardless of the junioring, Zero absolutely had the right title for the OT, so I say go for an update of that.

Felicity |OT| Feat. the Green Doormat in a post-color world
Felicity v Arrow Season 4 |OT| Granny's Peach Tea every Wednesday

Sigh... Yeah, I haven't been watching for the last couple weeks because I just wanted them to get the grave episode over with. And after reading the spoilers, I think I'm finally done with this particular DC show. ='(

Arrow Season 4 |OT| BOY DO WE HAVE PROBLEMS UP HERE
Arrow Season 4 |OT| We're Radioactive
Arrow Season 4 |OT| Dexter Season 9
Arrow Season 4 |OT| Zack Snyder approved

Johndoey

Banned
Arrow Season 4 |OT| God has damned us all

Arrow Season 4 |OT| How am I supposed to heal?

Arrow Season 4 |OT| Whens Tommy?

Arrow Season 4 |OT| Noble intentions have led to atrocity

Magwik

Banned
I'm going to defend Arrow and say it's not as bad as S3 or like Smallville, and come on...

It's nowhere near as atrocious as Dexter S6 or S8. That's the worst of the worst right there.
I don't hold Dexter S8 as close to the fire only considering S7 managed to give me just a little bit of hope that it could be good. There is no more hope.

Magwik

Banned
New Episode Today
Episode 418: Eleven-Fifth-Nine
Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Diggle (David Ramsey) learn that Merlyn (John Barrowman) is going to try to break Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough) out of prison. Meanwhile, Laurel (Katie Cassidy) gets a surprising offer and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) has a heart-to-heart talk with Curtis (guest star Echo Kellum). Meanwhile, ArrowGAF prepares for the uncoming Storm.

I'm going to defend Arrow and say it's not as bad as S3 or like Smallville, and come on...

It's nowhere near as atrocious as Dexter S6 or S8. That's the worst of the worst right there.

I don't know if it's my mind gradually leaving my body because of the felicity walking out scene, but at this point I honestly feel like Season 3 was better. Maybe not as high of highs as S4, but good god these lows...

Joni

So who thinks that Andy is responsible for the death? I was thinking Malcolm, but the recent developments clearly put Andy on the top of the list.

ZeroX03

Banned
My worry is that it's Diggle in the coffin since Curtis can now "fill" the black main character role.

There's three black actors on Flash, two on Supergirl and three on Legends. Berlanti's people are pretty dedicated to diversity, I wouldn't let the single black character trope scare you.

Diggle is the new ties to Argus, he isn't going anywhere. I think personally it's Earth-2 Oliver

And yeah after the Andy storyline is wrapped up exploring Argus stuff would be good for Diggle. It'd be cool to have something like a Checkmate storyline.

Dead Diggle would annoy me. He doesn't need to die, he just needs to go home and be a family man.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It would be cool if Merlyn created an Injustice League with past Arrow and Flash villains. He already has Vandal Savage's ashes, he could break Slade Wilson out, Darhk, etc. It'll probably never happen, but it would be a good premise for the next crossover.

Darhk has to be responsible for the death. None of that brainwashed and killed via a proxy (like Andy) bullshit. They literally did the exact same thing last season with the "Who killed the Black Canary?" storyline.

Magwik

Banned
There's three black actors on Flash, two on Supergirl and three on Legends. Berlanti's people are pretty dedicated to diversity, I wouldn't let the single black character trope scare you.

And yeah after the Andy storyline is wrapped up exploring Argus stuff would be good for Diggle. It'd be cool to have something like a Checkmate storyline.

Dead Diggle would annoy me. He doesn't need to die, he just needs to go home and be a family man.
He needs to give birth to Connor Hawke before he is allowed to die

Good points. Guess I'm trying to think of worst case scenarios at this point, since the show runners have been completely on point with regards to that.

It would be cool if Merlyn created an Injustice League with past Arrow and Flash villains. He already has Vandal Savage's ashes, he could break Slade Wilson out, Darhk, etc. It'll probably never happen, but it would be a good premise for the next crossover.

Darhk has to be responsible for the death. None of that brainwashed and killed via a proxy (like Andy) bullshit. They literally did the exact same thing last season with the "Who killed the Black Canary?" storyline.

Didn't stop Flash this season.

I doubt they could be any lower. As far as I'm concerned, the end of this season could turn around for the best like the back half of 24 Season 8 and I would still be super hesitant to follow Arrow next season. It really sucks to think that too, because Constantine, Vixen, and Dahrk (mostly) have been really great additions that I want to see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom