• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Every time I see her

4813-It-Should-Have-Been-You.gif
Damn straight. I was thinking that all last night.

Joni

I've been really wanting to like this show but man, it's starting to get really draining. Every success Team Arrow makes immediately is followed up by a massive setback. It's not really entertaining to watch the villains constantly win, especially if they're bad, mustache-twirling, overt villains like Darhk.

Heroes will always lose until the finale, at which point they can win. The same happens in videogames. If you are on a quest to stop a cosmic horror from being released, it will be released so you can fight it.

That graveyard scene was very good, to be fair

Only the 'lashing' out at Barry was a bit harsh.

Wait, hows Barry got his speed back already?

Episodes aren't aligned perfectly between shows.

KonradLaw

I'm beginning to think the season long arcs that the CW does do tend to drag on too long.
It wouldn't if they would put side arc to run alongside it. I have no clue what happened to Anarky. He was perfect for that. Instead they had to bassicaly put a pause button on Darkh for like 5 episodes, which killed momentum.
Heck, for now Hive is shittier version of League. At least league had some misticism behind it and some kickass people besides Ra's. Hive is lost opportunity. Why didn' we see more leaders and officers from it being badass? Heck, at least in before break Darkh was sending villains after Arrow team, like that cards guy and it worked really well. post break the only interesting one we got was the demolition crew, which was awesome in concept, but so horribly underused. It should have lasted couple eps. Give them and Anarky mini-arcs. Make them sub-bosses meant to occupy Arrowteam while Darkh prepares for last phase.

Penguin

I thought it was a really good episode...

The only qualm is it's weird would use Laurel's death as a way to celebrate Tommy's death from 3 years ago, but liked the flashbacks

Heroes will always lose until the finale, at which point they can win. The same happens in videogames. If you are on a quest to stop a cosmic horror from being released, it will be released so you can fight it.

Yeah, but there's a difference between the exchanging of blows, and even big setbacks for the good guys, and what this show is doing. Team Arrow has done nothing but lose. Any sort of victory they had was taken away from them in the same or the following episode, and bit them in the ass much harder.

Darhk gets arrested, but of course he already has people inside of the prison and gets broken out.
Darhk gets his powers taken away, but of course he had Diggle's brother on the inside of Team Arrow to retrieve his magical artifact.
Darhk is an obvious enemy of Malcolm Merlyn (in fact, I'm pretty sure Merlyn was the first to warn Oliver and co. to stay away from Darhk), yet Merlyn helps him anyway.
Darhk owns basically all of the city, and of course his wife is also evil and becomes mayor, who uses her position to turn the law enforcement against Team Arrow.

Darhk has lost practically nothing, while Team Arrow lost: The Black Canary, Felicity's ability to walk (temporarily), Felicity as member of the team, the position of mayor, Lance's position as police captain/contact, Laurel's position as DA assistant, and general support of the public/law enforcement.

This all happened during this season. Not only is Darhk juggernauting further ahead every episode, every time HE is set back, he comes back swinging even harder, just to deal an even harder blow to Team Arrow.
To me, Laurel's death did not have the impact it should've, because Darhk already had won so many victories over Team Arrow, and so many more decisive victories too.

This episode hit me right in the feels, All the pain they are putting Laurals father through is horrible... The ending speech gave me tears... This episode was great and i am sad that laural is gone.

Chesthair :(
Diggle :(

Ollie yelling "John" when lady Dahrk was right there was a bit out of line lol.

I like how no one questioned Sara's absence too. Was a decent ep, still had to get crying voice Felicity which is a drag.

Someone should gif when Ollie arrows out of the reception the one SWAT officer who eyefucks the camera when everyone else is looking up lmao.

An end is also an evolution for a story.

No it is not, for something to evolve it must continue, not end. That is the opposite.

No. This is precisely what evolution is. It's not just strong organism adapting. Evolution is also weak ones dying out. :)

Something cannot evolve when it no longer exists.

Someone should gif when Ollie arrows out of the reception the one SWAT officer who eyefucks the camera when everyone else is looking up lmao.

Where was he even going, that ceiling looked sealed.

Aiii

So not worth it
I could really use a computer like Felicity's.

"Laurel was spotted last night."
-Taps twice on computer, CCTV footage appears at the exact right spot from six different angles.

"Lets see if there is a missing girl around that time."
-Types a command of maybe 10 to 20 keystrokes, brings up information, family pictures. Taps two times, brings up detailed information.

I mean, it takes longer than that to ask Google for the goddamn weather on mine, i need me some of that tech.

-Taps twice on computer, CCTV footage appears at the exact right spot from six different angles.

-Types a command of maybe 10 to 20 keystrokes, brings up information, family pictures. Taps two times, brings up detailed information.

I mean, it takes longer than that to ask Google for the goddamn weather on mine, i need me some of that tech.

Would you rather have 20 minutes of the show dedicated to her typing?

ZeroX03

Banned

The show needs to keep these elements grounded and realistic, like Damien Darhk's Magic idol.

Aiii

So not worth it
Would you rather have 20 minutes of the show dedicated to her typing?

It's just lazy. You could explain it by giving it a neural interface, or even a simply voice recognition. You could just do a cut or have her do a search in the background while the other characters get some dialogue out of the way.

^^ I will also accept if they explained her computer was part magic.

Joni

It's just lazy. You could explain it by giving it a neural interface, or even a simply voice recognition. You could just do a cut or have her do a search in the background while the other characters get some dialogue out of the way.
It would just be boring, because as you say it only works by making it longer and adding in some pointless conversation. It means putting time between the reveal that there is a new vigilante out there and someone actually finding her. It would be more realistic, but it would make for terrible television. As for the interface, there has to be some sort of 'action'. That is for instance the reason computer programs look so weird on shows, people wouldn't actually accept realistic.

Hive is lost opportunity. Why didn' we see more leaders and officers from it being badass?
That is indeed weird, especially because it turns out he isn't the boss.

Yeah, but there's a difference between the exchanging of blows, and even big setbacks for the good guys, and what this show is doing. Team Arrow has done nothing but lose. Any sort of victory they had was taken away from them in the same or the following episode, and bit them in the ass much harder.
It is true, but on the other hand, if you have too many hits against the bad guy, he looks way weaker and not a threat at all.

It is true, but on the other hand, if you have too many hits against the bad guy, he looks way weaker and not a threat at all.

Of course. But here is how I would've done it differently: I would've not broken Darhk out of prison using conveniently placed plot devices who immediately get him out of there. I would've let the wife take charge and try to arrange a pardon for him or something of the likes.
Or maybe, since he isn't the leader of Hive, have whomever Hive is leading dump Darhk and have a different lieutenant take the lead instead.

This gives us a fresh new villain (actually going against Ruve Darhk or an entirely new character) while also allowing the heroes to have some success for a change.

The actor that plays Quentin Lance could of done better job at selling him losing his daughter. I expected him to cry his fucking eyes out and wail like a fucking baby. He was really close to Laurel. I wanted to feel the pain of someone losing a person that close to them. But that would be expecting too much from a show like Arrow. I know Ollie is hardened by the island and the countless deaths he's witnessed, including his family, but it would of been nice for him to tone down that tough exterior and lose it a bit over Laurel's death. Diggle was the only one that was really distraught over it and acted irrationally.

Joni

There aren't many people that know sara is alive. Those who know, know why she isn't there.

The actor that plays Quentin Lance could of done better job at selling him losing his daughter. I expected him to cry his fucking eyes out and wail like a fucking baby. He was really close to Laurel. I wanted to feel the pain of someone losing a person that close to them. But that would be expecting too much from a show like Arrow. I know Ollie is hardened by the island and the countless deaths he's witnessed, including his family, but it would of been nice for him to tone down that tough exterior and lose it a bit over Laurel's death. Diggle was the only one that was really distraught over it and acted irrationally.
He is in denial. That is why he isn't really sad
He has seen sara come back twice, he thinks Laurel will as well.

Hot keys and macros are your friends. Any time I finish a new soon to be repeated process at work my first thought is how to automate the shit out it. It avoids tedium and hitting a few buttons to do a complicated task makes you look like a wizard to those not technically minded.

Rekubot

I think you are thinking about the other episode. This episode she said something about Moira being in jail.
I forgot she was in jail around that time, makes more sense that she wasn't there now.

Better than average episode due to the absence of island flashbacks but why they pointed out the canary device was attuned to Laurel's voice multiple times then fail to explain why the new Canary could use it is beyond me.

I liked the ep. I thought Paul Blackthorne was good, especially when he finally lost it after realising Laurel was gone for good.

That said, they really tried to get full use out of that terrible wig he wore in the flackback (it was the same as Legends of Tomorrow used last week).

Whatever idiot is scheduling these episodes so almost none of the crossovers sync up should be fired. Barry 'flashing' in this particular week was just silly.

Joni

Whatever idiot is scheduling these episodes so almost none of the crossovers sync up should be fired. Barry 'flashing' in this particular week was just silly.

In the end, the network has specific needs for these shows, which can't always be foreseen when writing the episodes. For instance, it is not like they could postpone this episode to next week so they could match up, as Flash needs to end after Arrow.

Well that wasn't so bad and Felicity wasn't front and center. No island sequence was barely noticeable and very much appreciated. Nyssa and Oli the OTP, helping your husband in dire times.

Well that wasn't so bad and Felicity wasn't front and center. No island sequence was barely noticeable and very much appreciated. Nyssa and Oli the OTP, helping your husband in dire times.
Not til the second half, at least. And then, all of a sudden she let Diggle be a moron, and her absence is why Laurel died. And then there's that whole ending in the car. No one fucking cares what you have to say, bitch.

BBboy20

Does Mrs. Darhk have any back-up plan in case she gets stuck up? For a supposed cooperative mastermind, she seems like she can be easily defeated.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know where to start.
Yeah, as I was watching this episode, all I could think of is what some people in this thread would find to shit on Felicity about even though there was absolutely NOTHING in this episode which would warrant it. Everyone acted in character and to the situation at hand in an actual expected and non stupid way. People cry when someone they love dies. Deal with it. Everyone would think it's their fault or want to find a way to figure out how they could've prevented the situation as a coping mechanism. To me, this was one of the best character episodes in a while for Arrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom