• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Ashes

Banned
Hmm.. I think I may have the world's most boring ghost haunting my room.
I was browsing on the web (web? It was all Neogaf lol) on my nexus 7, and a Pepsi can dropped on its side and spilled its contents all over the desk.
Checked the windows, none of them are open. So trying to be Sherlock, I look at the can itself. Can't see anything wrong with it. Why it should topple on its side, I don't know.
So crap mystery is closed, unless anybody else has any idea.

So I just had the roughest day of my life. Pretty much a first world problem, but last night I was told that my venue couldn't host my wedding, which is Saturday. This had actually already happened 3 months ago, after I had sent out RSVP cards so we had to contact everyone then. Having this happen again with < 3 days until the event caused the last 24 hours to be the roughest of my life so far.

Luckily we managed to work it out and find a creative solution, so we don't have to move locations. And this is why you don't try and be cheap and creative with shit. Just book a solid place like a hotel, ranch, club, park, hall that has done thousands of weddings and let them deal with everything for you.

Just thought I'd vent! What an emotional rollercoaster.

Glad it worked out. There been a few weddings in my family recently and man it seems so stressful.

I found out my cousins wedding last August cost him 100k.... then i found out his parents paid for 90 of it. Lol.... Asian parents man they are crazy. He is the oldest and only boy (3 sisters) so i guess they went all out for his.

I'm not getting married anytime soon but i figure mine be a lot smaller. All my cousins are getting married and we are all within a few months of each other and extremely close. So it feels weird... cause i know imma be the last of the bunch.

Glad it worked out. There been a few weddings in my family recently and man it seems so stressful.

I found out my cousins wedding last August cost him 100k.... then i found out his parents paid for 90 of it. Lol.... Asian parents man they are crazy. He is the oldest and only boy (3 sisters) so i guess they went all out for his.

I'm not getting married anytime soon but i figure mine be a lot smaller. All my cousins are getting married and we are all within a few months of each other and extremely close. So it feels weird... cause i know imma be the last of the bunch.

Jesus 100K?! We wanted a 7.5K wedding but got a 12.5K one. Did they fly everyone to Hawaii? We're also paying for it her parents aren't loaded, and while mine are decently off, I try not to ask them for anything.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Glad to hear the wedding stuff went well. :)

FYI, don't get banned, there's a fun thread in OT that is prime ban bait. Remember, per NeoGAF diversity, it's not racist if it is taking away from asians. >_<

mercviper

You know, when I read The Martian I thought Commander Lewis was an Asian woman for some reason, likely due to her appearance being nondescript. So I was really disappointed when I saw the first trailers and even more so when I went back to the book unable to find verification of her race lol.

But yeah, I kinda doubt AA actors are turning down these roles if they're being offered them (apparently Irrfan Khan did but he's not the only indian either) and it's sad that we don't see them in more movies where they're written as asians. /coughalohacough

I had a pretty stressful wedding which I wrote a long post about a few months ago in this thread but 100k? WTF man?

I had a pretty stressful wedding which I wrote a long post about a few months ago in this thread but 100k? WTF man?
Yeah, I feel like a douche for saying it but I almost never want to get married because of the cost. I don't tend of thousands of dollars to burn, especially if I ever want to own a home.

SRG01

There's a tradition here on the prairies where people hold fundraising parties (ie. Rent a hall, provide booze) for their weddings. Some couples actually make a profit from their weddings because of their fundraising hahahaha.

Between all my siblings and I only 2 have had American style white weddings and their are 8 of us with 7 that have gotten married(only my baby sister left). I don't know about my other younger sister, but my older brother told me he spent about 15k on his wedding. The thing is that his Father in law is really well known and a leader among the Hmong community in Michigan(the Detroit area). So tons of people came out to my bro's wedding and they received a lot of money as a gift. 20 here, 40 there, with a fair share of 100+ as well. In the end he told me he doubled up and made about 30k. I see why some people see a wedding as a investment now lol.

My small traditional wedding only netted me 3k. Except my family and I spent 7500 on it with most going to the dowry. So overall I loss -4500(or 7500 since that money that we received is suppose to be considered my wife's money and not ours). Hmong traditional weddings are not money makers, you just hope to get as much back as you can while expecting to spend around 5-10k depending on the family and where you live because communities in different states might have different standards.

Jesus 100K?! We wanted a 7.5K wedding but got a 12.5K one. Did they fly everyone to Hawaii? We're also paying for it her parents aren't loaded, and while mine are decently off, I try not to ask them for anything.

No it was in Seattle at the Hyatt Olive 8. I think a couple of the pictures landed in the Seattle bridal magazine or whatever. It was pretty fun I was one of his groomsmen but man that was one stressful wedding. Most of my friends from HS or college wedding probably cost around 15-40 ish. I have another cousin she's a year older and her is next May at a golf club and it's only going to be around 40ish total.

Between all my siblings and I only 2 have had American style white weddings and their are 8 of us with 7 that have gotten married(only my baby sister left). I don't know about my other younger sister, but my older brother told me he spent about 15k on his wedding. The thing is that his Father in law is really well known and a leader among the Hmong community in Michigan(the Detroit area). So tons of people came out to my bro's wedding and they received a lot of money as a gift. 20 here, 40 there, with a fair share of 100+ as well. In the end he told me he doubled up and made about 30k. I see why some people see a wedding as a investment now lol.

My small traditional wedding only netted me 3k. Except my family and I spent 7500 on it with most going to the dowry. So overall I loss -4500(or 7500 since that money that we received is suppose to be considered my wife's money and not ours). Hmong traditional weddings are not money makers, you just hope to get as much back as you can while expecting to spend around 5-10k depending on the family and where you live because communities in different states might have different standards.

Yea one of my best friend made money on her wedding too and the majority of the "Big money" came in from relatives she really had no clue about. Like distance grandpas or what not.

Hey, nyob zoo dude (that's about as much as I know when it comes to writing and reading my own language lol)! Nice to see another Hmong person on GAF.

I just got back from a wedding and it was pretty small. Both families never had that many relatives but it was pretty enjoyable. A semi-traditional wedding but since they were christian-hmong, they cut some other parts out.

I think when it comes to weddings, we can all agree they are costly and varies from one Asian to the next Asian. This one they counted around 3-4k made and I would assume they had a similar situation as yours. Weddings suck so much money out of everyone lol.

Sober

About Dr. Ken

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ctor_on_the_hangover_community_diversity.html

seems like it might be worth giving a shot later on - sounds like the pilot episode was too many cooks in the kitchen. I try to give all shows at least a season, admittedly.
Giving a show an entire season (especially if it's more than 13 episodes) is very generous IMO. Especially since there are 400 or so scripted shows premiering every year now, casual watchers really don't need to stick with shows because there is very likely something around the corner that actually something they'll watch, give or take.

I'd like to say I maybe get around to watching 100 or so shows a year now, maybe 60 to completion within the same year.

That being said I do give shows quite a bit of leeway, maybe 1/2 a run for them to impress me, but much less (like 5-7 episodes) for them to show me they want to make an entertaining product, even if it's not my thing. (That itself is already very generous). I very rarely will keep with a show if there's not a single thing that I enjoy about it to keep going with it for longer than I should be, unless I'm watching it specifically as 'homework' (or rather: 'research'). But normal viewers really shouldn't treat watching shows like homework or like a chore.

One last point is that a pilot is a very messy thing to put together sometimes, speaking from experience, so I definitely understand if it's not the most representative thing about your show. But I also see there are plenty of good pilots being made every year.

Thanks.

I'm still going to keep watching, because SUPPORT.

I know my BF hates it when I support things just for being Asian instead of being good, but I think a little Pan Asian solidarity is still worth it.
Then there's a bunch more shows you'll have to watch because there are a few Southeast Asian-lead shows now as well (Quantico, Mindy Project on Hulu now). I'm up in the air about this altogether. I'm sorta glad that Asian representation is starting to go up in the aggregate, but I don't know if I should feel obligated to tune in just because.

Giving a show an entire season (especially if it's more than 13 episodes) is very generous IMO. Especially since there are 400 or so scripted shows premiering every year now, casual watchers really don't need to stick with shows because there is very likely something around the corner that actually something they'll watch, give or take.

I'd like to say I maybe get around to watching 100 or so shows a year now, maybe 60 to completion within the same year.

That being said I do give shows quite a bit of leeway, maybe 1/2 a run for them to impress me, but much less (like 5-7 episodes) for them to show me they want to make an entertaining product, even if it's not my thing. (That itself is already very generous). I very rarely will keep with a show if there's not a single thing that I enjoy about it to keep going with it for longer than I should be, unless I'm watching it specifically as 'homework' (or rather: 'research'). But normal viewers really shouldn't treat watching shows like homework or like a chore.

One last point is that a pilot is a very messy thing to put together sometimes, speaking from experience, so I definitely understand if it's not the most representative thing about your show. But I also see there are plenty of good pilots being made every year.

Then there's a bunch more shows you'll have to watch because there are a few Southeast Asian-lead shows now as well (Quantico, Mindy Project on Hulu now). I'm up in the air about this altogether. I'm sorta glad that Asian representation is starting to go up in the aggregate, but I don't know if I should feel obligated to tune in just because.

Holy fuck. I usually give like 5-10 shows a year a chance and that's about it.

Damn that is a shitload of shows lol.

I basically tune into things I'm interested in. Right now my shows include:

Penny Dreaful (crazy monsters)
Homeland (tactical espionage action, sort of)
The Walking Dead (zombies)
Fear The Walking Dead
The Flash (superhero)
Heroes Reborn
Into The Badlands (sort of because they have a Asian male lead but the trailers do make the show look sick)
Talking Dead (talk show discussing The Walking Dead)
Shameless (crazy relatable family drama)
House of Lies (crazy and funny hijinks into business consultants)

Lol mostly like I can feel what they are going through when tough times get to them. Most of the relationship issues I can relate to. I've seen some things that are similar to what happens in Shameless with my family and friends. Many personal things that I won't share.

Sober

If anyone is curious, I got around to watching the second episode of Dr. Ken and it was good by all accounts. Might be something decent to have on in the background, etc.

Rainy

Banned
Hi Asian-GAF, haven't posted in months because moving to the east coast and medical school have kept me busy.

Hope y'all are doing well!

Hey, nyob zoo dude (that's about as much as I know when it comes to writing and reading my own language lol)! Nice to see another Hmong person on GAF.

I just got back from a wedding and it was pretty small. Both families never had that many relatives but it was pretty enjoyable. A semi-traditional wedding but since they were christian-hmong, they cut some other parts out.

I think when it comes to weddings, we can all agree they are costly and varies from one Asian to the next Asian. This one they counted around 3-4k made and I would assume they had a similar situation as yours. Weddings suck so much money out of everyone lol.

Sup man, don't feel bad about reading and writing, I don't know jack either. I don't speak it that well either, which makes me a easy target to make fun of among my family and friends unfortunately. As for marriages, I thought Hmong Christians always had it easier. But I've heard many stories that have said otherwise.

Nice to run into another Hmong person. Even in a thread like this where we're surrounded by people who look more like us and may understand us better. It's always nice to run into someone of your own kind who completely understand your background and where you come from.

Ashes

Banned
Ooh stumbled onto Diwali fest at Trafalgar Square yesterday; it was quite something. Random People expecting me to know what's up; I was like, I dunno. Google it. I know it is to do with Hinduism.. Festival of light maybe..

Wedding went well. If I exclude the money that my dad gave me for marriage/house then I made back 9 of the 12 grand we put down, which is pretty awesome. Also, I made everyone work way too hard. People were busting their asses to get this set up and taken down.

We also had to re-plan the wedding three times, including the day of when we realized that dining space was too small for all the tables and had to spill over into the ceremony space. We rethought the entire ceremony the day before the wedding.

But despite all the drama, everything actually turned out better than we had hoped. I have three pieces of advice:

1) If you can, don't try a DIY shindig unless it's small. If it's not gonna be small, just get a hotel or some other venue that will take care of all the details for you.

2) Every wedding I've been to, including my own, had way too much leftover food and booze. You also don't really need an ice cream bar, candy bar, and boba bar, each with enough to feed every guest invited.

3) Don't have a floating inflatable swan in the pool unless you want your drunk friend to jump in and ride it.

Glad it went well, but this sounds like something to be encouraged, not avoided :p

Second swan had a hole in it so he had to swim solo. If there had been two swans I would've tried to get some sort of joust in at the end of the night!

LOL

All of this is great advice :). But the WAY TOO MUCH FOOD is an Asian thing, right?

(DO YOU HAVE PHOTOS. CAN WE SEE. You can PM me them if you are okay with sharing them but not okay with posting it publicly.)

I'll keep this in mind if I ever change my mind about weddings.

(I got 2nd round interviews with EY! Still have a few 1st round interviews too. Whew. Wish me luck y'all.)

The wedding was the best day of my life despite the stress and craziness. Seeing all my friends pull together to make it happen was just an amazing feeling. And the ceremony we threw together the day before was worth it because the new layout gave me a private, direct view of my now wife's entrance.

Here are a few pics, some edited to obscure faces/names:

Boba Bar:
PdzHSqi.jpg

Wife actually surprised me with this. We had thought about it and decided it was too expensive. She went behind my back to buy 1/2 the number of drinks and then had them split into smaller cups.

Afterparty Snack Bar:
aLtWLEG.jpg

Thank god some friends took bagfuls home because this table was crazy. I actually lost 15 lbs for the wedding so my body just wasn't used to this stuff anymore and I couldn't eat a lot. I'm not sure you can make it out, but there is a nacho fountain and a platter of spicy corndogs.

Dinner Area:
4mmJWWR.jpg

The original dinner area was too small so some tables had to spill out into the outdoor courtyard, where the ceremony was originally supposed to be. We knew it was going to get dark as hell at night but figured all we could do was set up candles and hope for the best. Awesome friends went out, got market lights from Costco, and spend several hours setting them up.

Table Setting:
pKMX7cV.jpg

Just our toys, a basket, and some fake flower petals.

Pool:
ozF3EAF.jpg

The wife bought these huge as half-sphere fake flower decorations that we didn't know what to do with. Figured that they'd float so we tossed them in the pool. The house had the swan and really completed the elegant effect we were looking for.

Drunk Friend:
dePXWoS.jpg

I'm not sure how he didn't get wet. Later on, two other friends actually went swimming. All 3 were white, although I'm not sure what that says about anything.

(good luck on your interviews bunny!)

Damn that wedding sounds much more extravagant than our weddings. Oftentimes our people barely put in any effort to make their marriages legal so we're stuck with traditional weddings. Many of the family members either help go to the slaughterhouse and grab a cow or a couple pigs, other members go grab alot of booze for the ogs and the younger crowd and others help make the brides house look as clean as possible before everybody shows up.

Out of all the wedding ceremonies I've been to none have a regular wedding in our states eyes lol. Glad yours went ok CapNBritain!

How much booze did y'all get? The wedding I went to this past weekend we bought around 10-20 24 packs of lite beer and they were gone before the wedding was done lol. We also had like 4-5 bottles of liquor too and those were finished after the wedding though. The food is something us Asians do though lol. We always make way too much food.

At Rice-Eater, for the wedding I went to last weekend it seemed alot easier. They didn't do any kowtowing, no tying strings around their hands, and whatnot. Most of the ogs were inside just talking and drinking and negotiating. And yeah I agree it is nice to run into another person who is from the same culture but in here we are all one big family. This is us right?

star%20wars%20outtake.gif

Damn that wedding sounds much more extravagant than our weddings. Oftentimes our people barely put in any effort to make their marriages legal so we're stuck with traditional weddings. Many of the family members either help go to the slaughterhouse and grab a cow or a couple pigs, other members go grab alot of booze for the ogs and the younger crowd and others help make the brides house look as clean as possible before everybody shows up.

Out of all the wedding ceremonies I've been to none have a regular wedding in our states eyes lol. Glad yours went ok CapNBritain!

How much booze did y'all get? The wedding I went to this past weekend we bought around 10-20 24 packs of lite beer and they were gone before the wedding was done lol. We also had like 4-5 bottles of liquor too and those were finished after the wedding though. The food is something us Asians do though lol. We always make way too much food.

At Rice-Eater, for the wedding I went to last weekend it seemed alot easier. They didn't do any kowtowing, no tying strings around their hands, and whatnot. Most of the ogs were inside just talking and drinking and negotiating. And yeah I agree it is nice to run into another person who is from the same culture but in here we are all one big family. This is us right?

We had 6 cases of beer, 2 cases of red wine, 2 cases of white wine, 3 handles of rum, 3 handles of vodka, and 6 handles of sweet tea vodka. Our dinner was southern cuisine and our original plan was to have a limited drink menu of sweet tea vodka, lemonade, and ice tea at dinner, which is why we have so much sweet tea vodka. We took home at least half the beer and wine, 2 bottles of vodka and 2 bottles of sweet tea vodka. This was for 120 people.

Also, is the Hmong community pretty tight knit? I actually worked on a Hmong forum about 15 years ago, but I've forgotten its name.

StMeph

our original plan was to have a limited drink menu of sweet tea vodka, lemonade, and ice tea at dinner, which is why we have so much sweet tea vodka. We took home at least half the beer and wine, 2 bottles of vodka and 2 bottles of sweet tea vodka. This was for 120 people.

A friend of mine had a self-planned wedding and bought their own liquor. The liquor store took returns for the stuff that wasn't consumed or given away.

Congratulations, Cap!

Question: wtf are you doing here instead of enjoying your honeymoon?

Mini-Honeymoon this weekend! Short cruise to Ensenada. We will do a larger, longer honeymoon next year. Wife just started a new job and has no PTO. Plus, we were too pooped from wedding planning to also plan a good honeymoon.

So even though I just got married, I'm at work. And when I'm at work, I GAF!

A friend of mine had a self-planned wedding and bought their own liquor. The liquor store took returns for the stuff that wasn't consumed or given away.

Yeah one of my groomsmen is looking into getting the beer, wine, and a few other supplies returned. We kept the hard liquor though, because we can always find a use for that.

Also we have craptons of leftover candy that I can't eat unless I want to get fat again.

I would say the Hmong community is in some form. Usually when I go out I meet alot of people who go, "do you know who and who because that's my cousins blah blah blah." It also varies from what clan (last name) you're from. My clan is small so we are very close to each other.

The larger clans (Lees, Vangs, Yangs, and Xiongs) all seem to know each other alot more than the smaller ones (Hangs, Changs, Thors, Vues, and more that I'm forgetting) like mines (Lors and Thaos). But again, it varies because some of the bigger clans can also have a smaller clan like my brother-in-laws (Lees).

So in a way, yes and no to your question lol.

I agree, it's just that certain things only people from the same ethnicity will be able to understand each other. We're not all Chinese, right? lol

For example here is something I will sometimes express and then discuss with other Hmongs. I'm not sure if you're Christian or not, so I'm not sure how you feel about this. My family is traditional but in no way am I. I honestly can't stand a lot of our old ways and customs. I don't know much of it and don't plan to learn it either.

Sometimes my parents or older cousins will be on my back about this subject. But it's my life and I'm going to do what I want to do. It ain't like I'm hating or anything. I still go to relatives houses and help out with whatever I can. But I'm not going to learn the stuff and pass it on to my kids if I have any. Language on the other hand. I do think it's important to maintain that but I'm doing a horrible job at it. Fortunately the wife is really good so hopefully our kids if we have any will be decent at it.

Also, is the Hmong community pretty tight knit? I actually worked on a Hmong forum about 15 years ago, but I've forgotten its name.

Yeah I would say we're a tight knit community. Most of us stick together and even migrate together. If you run into one of us somewhere, you'll normally find hundreds if not thousands of others in the same area. As for the online forum, I have no clue. 15 years ago everyone I knew was on Asian Avenue and Asian Town. I'm sure that will ring a bell to some of you 30 and up folks.

SRG01

As for the online forum, I have no clue. 15 years ago everyone I knew was on Asian Avenue and Asian Town. I'm sure that will ring a bell to some of you 30 and up folks.

OMG, wow. Never thought someone would bring up Asian Avenue. Never really visited that site, but was definitely familiar with it.

edit: Also, I baked a pumpkin pie because I was bored (not because it was Canadian Thanksgiving, haha)

Back when all the hot guys had spiky hair with bangs..frosted.

Also white shirts and baggy jeans.

Import model look was so hot then.

And those silly AZN PRYDE stickers with the ridiculous looking couples in 16bit hahahaha.

Edit:

OMFG I FOUND IT.

azn_frenz.jpg

I don't know if anyone ever considered me hot during that era but i sure as hell had spiky hair, AZN PYRDE, wore white tees and had baggy jeans. Lol

cdyhybrid

I was on Xanga mostly. I think I had a profile on AA, but it was probably awful and I'd prefer to just purge that stuff from my memory :lol

OMG, what have I done lol. The nostalgia is consuming me right now. Back then the Korean craze was in full affect and everybody was scouring the internet for music videos by popular Korean artist back then. We didn't have Youtube back then, so everybody was using file sharing apps like KaZaa. The pain we had to go through to download these 30-50 MB videos on dial up at 2Kbps lol. And when I finally got Cable internet back in 2001 I was like the coolest kid in town.

Can't wait by Yoo Seung Jun and Yuki Hsu is still da bess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWII95hlhE

We was blasting shit like this in our 92-95 Civic hatchbacks(every Asian boys first racing car) back then. It was a different time people.

OMG, what have I done lol. The nostalgia is consuming me right now. Back then the Korean craze was in full affect and everybody was scouring the internet for music videos by popular Korean artist back then. We didn't have Youtube back then, so everybody was using file sharing apps like KaZaa. The pain we had to go through to download these 30-50 MB videos on dial up at 2Kbps lol. And when I finally got Cable internet back in 2001 I was like the coolest kid in town.

Can't wait by Yoo Seung Jun and Yuki Hsu is still da bess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWII95hlhE

There wasn't a Korean craze here during that era it was full on import models/cars... full on AZN pryde and gangs. Kids with spiky hair plating ddr at the arcade. And that's how i found marvel 2 as well.

Xanga was just lulz it was the everyone turn emo and blog about your dating problems.

There wasn't a Korean craze here during that era it was full on import models/cars... full on AZN pryde and gangs. Kids with spiky hair plating ddr at the arcade. And that's how i found marvel 2 as well.

Xanga was just lulz it was the everyone turn emo and blog about your dating problems.

We had all that to, except the gang part. The Korean wave was just another part of it. It was a fun era for me since that was my high school and post high school era. The internet and social media was so new back then so we were experiencing all this stuff for the first time in those years where we were the most care free. The import scene and all that other stuff was big to, it was just never my thing even though I was around it all the time.

Back then I spent many summers doing nothing but riding with friends back and forth every weekend on HW 70. This was the popular road where all the racers/cruisers would go every weekend. Always a bunch of us coming out in many cars(all with DOHC VTEC stickers) hanging out at a certain spot or cruising. I can't stand those kids nowadays though.

We had all that to, except the gang part. The Korean wave was just another part of it. It was a fun era for me since that was my high school and post high school era. The internet and social media was so new back then so we were experiencing all this stuff for the first time in those years where we were the most care free. The import scene and all that other stuff was big to, it was just never my thing even though I was around it all the time.

Back then I spent many summers doing nothing but riding with friends back and forth every weekend on HW 70. This was the popular road where all the racers/cruisers would go every weekend. Always a bunch of us coming out in many cars(all with DOHC VTEC stickers) hanging out at a certain spot or cruising. I can't stand those kids nowadays though.

You know what crazy is that after fast and furious came out the first one my friends and I and a bunch of other people started doing these races down in Kent (city south of Seattle), and to this day that shit is still happening.

It was just maybe 10-20 cars back then you know basically civics, integras etc..now I drive past Friday/Sat night (it's on the way to mall area/round 1 etc..) sometimes and there easily triple digits on some nights. All types of shit like straight out of a Fast And Furious movies. It also surrounded by cops in every direction so I think it more of just a meet up, and what not. But yea.. 14 years that stuff still going on.

Liberty4all

Banned
. As for the online forum, I have no clue. 15 years ago everyone I knew was on Asian Avenue and Asian Town. I'm sure that will ring a bell to some of you 30 and up folks.

Met my wife on Asian Avenue in 1999. I'm Caucasian but growing up my closest friends were Chinese and everyone had AA accounts. I wanted to join the fun. This was wayy before facebook .. Asian Avenue was like social media version 1.0 with some lava life mixed in.

Top Bottom