• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

vern

i legit thought you mean a song by YG Entertainment and was like "wait what group?"

also, have any of you actually used a dating app? first time on one and it feels really awkward...

If you are of Chinese descent (or speak Chinese, or whatever I guess lol...) you can try TanTan. Had some decent dates with it when I went back to the states and Vancouver. Mainly useful in cities though.

Just remember that as awkward as you think it is, it's just as awkward for the other person.

I can recommend Coffee Meets Bagel and OKCupid. Had minimal success with Tinder.

Speaking of Tinder.... How are the statistics for Asian American men? I'm guessing not good?

My friend keeps trying but nobody responds. He's a trooper though. Doesn't stop him from trying other apps and sites.

Llyranor

Speaking of Tinder.... How are the statistics for Asian American men? I'm guessing not good?
Asian men and black women have the worst response rates. But don't let that get you down, just treat it as hard mode. Embrace the challenge and be better than the competition. I did alright with OKC.

I've never personally used online dating, but I have friends who had success with Coffee Meets Bagel (which I always call Coffee Meets Donut, which makes infinitely more sense because who the hell dunks bagels into coffee!?) and Match.

cdyhybrid

I've never personally used online dating, but I have friends who had success with Coffee Meets Bagel (which I always call Coffee Meets Donut, which makes infinitely more sense because who the hell dunks bagels into coffee!?) and Match.
...Who dunks donuts in coffee?

That's a waste of coffee and a waste of a donut.

ahdurian

you guys call them Donut holes? oh you crazy Americans

also I've tried Match.com and am trying out EastMeetsEast right now.
Match I've had one positive experience in the past, but turned south after a month.

EastMeetsEast is something I found out about through Youtubers I'm subscribed to, and am currently fine with it. actually got responses from two people and have been talking to them throughout the day.
welp, we'll see

Met my wife on eHarmony. Had good luck on both okcupid and match before then.

Don't let the Asian male racial metrics get to you. I'm 5'5 but still did well online. It's all about how you carry yourself, opening messages and so forth.

I never thought about these things until I became friends with a transgender girl (who I didn't know until she told me) then suddenly I became very aware of these things and a lot of my previous perspectives were corrected.

Maybe a lot of them just never got the chance to meet a LGBT person and interact with them? It's easy to demonized a group of people that you have never met.

cdyhybrid

I told my fiance we should put a donut hole in a doughnut's hole and call it a WHOLENUT.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (yes I'm laughing at myself.)

Okay in all seriousness, I need to vent about a coworker.

Asian American, grew up here, and is apparently homophobic? Like... at work today, I was (half jokingly) saying that I wouldn't mind it if my fiance dated a man.

Coworker was like, that's so wrong, and I thought he meant because he believed in the sanctity of marriage, but then he went into some spiel about how being gay is disgusting and wrong and how he hates how it's being taught in schools that it's normal because he doesn't want his (future) kids (he's 25) to be exposed to that. Blah blah it's "unnatural" etc.

What the fuck?

I'm legit dumbfounded. It's the sort of shit my parents spew and I nod because they're old and stuff, but WTF we're in southern California and it's 2016.

At that point I was like... uhh.. okay... and I didn't see the point in pointing out that homosexuality is actually "natural" (thanks bio class), or that he is being a bigot.. but sdhgsdkjgskdlgjsdg.

Fiance thinks it's an Asian American thing. Do y'all feel like your friends/social groups are more antiLGBT or more socially conservative? I really thought that generally younger people, especially more educated ones, tend to be more liberal. I was pretty shocked.

Is he religious?

Llyranor

My Asian-Canadian friends are pretty liberal, and if one of them spouted off homophobic crap, they would get an earful and then get cut off if they didn't realize they were being bigoted.

Sarye

Could be religious though I'm surprised with how vocal he was about it. I think another part of it is that we naturally take some parts of our beliefs from our parents which tend to be very conservative if you have immigrant parents.

Not always the case obviously, but just something I noticed, even with myself.

edit:
I think black women have it the worst in dating sites. At least with Asian men, there are a good number Asian women who would only date Asians. But don't lose hope! I've met my wife on a dating site and so did many of my Asian friends!

Maybe he is religious? My family and friends don't really talk about it but I wouldn't be surprised if one of my friend's think that way (just due to how he was raised).

zeemumu

I told my fiance we should put a donut hole in a doughnut's hole and call it a WHOLENUT.

Asian American, grew up here, and is apparently homophobic? Like... at work today, I was (half jokingly) saying that I wouldn't mind it if my fiance dated a man.

Coworker was like, that's so wrong, and I thought he meant because he believed in the sanctity of marriage, but then he went into some spiel about how being gay is disgusting and wrong and how he hates how it's being taught in schools that it's normal because he doesn't want his (future) kids (he's 25) to be exposed to that. Blah blah it's "unnatural" etc.

What the fuck?

I'm legit dumbfounded. It's the sort of shit my parents spew and I nod because they're old and stuff, but WTF we're in southern California and it's 2016.

At that point I was like... uhh.. okay... and I didn't see the point in pointing out that homosexuality is actually "natural" (thanks bio class), or that he is being a bigot.. but sdhgsdkjgskdlgjsdg.

Fiance thinks it's an Asian American thing. Do y'all feel like your friends/social groups are more antiLGBT or more socially conservative? I really thought that generally younger people, especially more educated ones, tend to be more liberal. I was pretty shocked.

I have friends on both ends and no it's probably not an Asian American thing.

ahdurian

My Asian-Canadian friends are pretty liberal, and if one of them spouted off homophobic crap, they would get an earful and then get cut off if they didn't realize they were being bigoted.

I've seen it more in the 1st Gens, or 1.5 Gens
a lot of us second gens don't really care

unless, like how some people mentioned, they're religious

I mean, I'm religious too, but even I have doubts. some of the nicest/most generous people I've met were gay dudes. for me, as long as they don't hit on me or kill anyone, they're cool.

hirokazu

...but then he went into some spiel about how being gay is disgusting and wrong and how he hates how it's being taught in schools that it's normal because he doesn't want his (future) kids (he's 25) to be exposed to that. Blah blah it's "unnatural" etc.
Wow, did this guy not get over his awkward high school phase?

But no, most people I know are pretty liberal and it's sometimes a bit of a shock encountering someone of similar age who are conservative and terrible.

ahdurian

I know you probably said this in jest, but what is the problem with this? You just tell them you aren't interested, and that's that.

it is in jokes, but it's also happened to me a few times and just felt really awkward.
it's not that i won't like them for it, it's just that it's awkward for me since i'm not interested in guys in that way

SystemBug

it is in jokes, but it's also happened to me a few times and just felt really awkward.
it's not that i won't like them for it, it's just that it's awkward for me since i'm not interested in guys in that way

i mean i see it the same way as how straight dudes will hit on girls.

it's gonna be awkward either way

Blackhead

Redarse
What is Kim's Convenience about?

Can Kim’s Convenience help fix [Canada's] TV’s diversity problem?
In Canada, a country that has produced multiple mainstream TV shows starring heroic German Shepherds and zero starring Asian families, the mere existence of Kim’s Convenience is a sign of progress.

Been looming forward to this, lots of ads about town too
gnoSYCI.jpg
but tonight's pilot premier is delayed until next week due to the Toronto's Blue Jays wild card game (which they are currently losing). oh well...

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

ahdurian

have you guys ever seen the play live?
Ins Choi is amazing. i'm so hyped for this show. apparently some people from my church ended up being extras on it here and there

It's been forever. (_ _)

Edit: Nvm

Maybe it has to do with where I live, which is in Austin, TX.. But all my friends are accepting of everyone.

So...remember about a year and a half ago, I posted about how my sister-in-law had cancer? Well, she didn't beat it and passed away yesterday. =(

I'm sorry to hear that, Septimus. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

You know that everyone is here for you.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

What the fuck?

Could be religious, but we can be a pretty conservative bunch. Remember that even in California, didn't Prop 8 get like 40% of the vote?

So...remember about a year and a half ago, I posted about how my sister-in-law had cancer? Well, she didn't beat it and passed away yesterday. =(

Sorry to hear about that :( <hug>

vern

Been super busy but finally got around to getting another episode of my Crossing China project thing up on YouTube, check it out and let me know your thoughts if you have time. This episode we are in Hebei, Datong, Xi'an and we climb Huashan (and it's crazy plank walk in the cliffside)...

https://youtu.be/2qoejOXxn7k

Hope you will enjoy it :D

We've been busy over in OT lately &#128512;

I skimmed some bits about Asian American voting and stuff and was surprised to see so many Hmong Americans that lean towards Democrat. I believe it was at r/asianamerican.

Courtesy of r/asianamerican - Asians on Hillary and Trump. Includes the sample size and etc.

mercviper

Thanks, everyone. Fuck cancer.

Anyway, who's excited to watch some white guy rescue Mulan?

To be fair just a spec script but as someone mentioned earlier in that thread I don't know what's redeemable from a spec script based on that. I'm just going to hope my faith in Disney isn't misplaced.

The bigger shock to me in that thread was the Bruce Lee biopic. wtf was up with that?!

We've been busy over in OT lately &#55357;&#56832;

I skimmed some bits about Asian American voting and stuff and was surprised to see so many Hmong Americans that lean towards Democrat. I believe it was at r/asianamerican.

Courtesy of r/asianamerican - Asians on Hillary and Trump. Includes the sample size and etc.

I've talked to a lot of family, friends, and cousins about the election. Whether they care or not, they're all behind Hilary(same with me). She may not be perfect, but we're more terrified of Trump actually being our president.

Top Bottom