• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

No segues needed, mothasuckas!

l.jpg

Toki767

Oh we're doing food again? This is some stuff I had this past week.

Sitaw at kalabasa (string beans and squash) with lechon kawali (deep fried pork belly)
10914701_1556887871262484_181112930_n.jpg

BBQ pork banh mi on a croissant
10598285_1548446472072788_503940696_n.jpg

Chairman Mao's red braised pork belly
10979530_932974450068189_1781688403_n.jpg

Wonton noodle soup just because
11015677_783374181753683_1861119938_n.jpg

^

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

i wants everything !!!! *_________*

specially the pork belly and the wonton noodle souppppppp *claws at screen*

Edit: GULLY !!!!! WOAH that looks so omnomnomnom *_______*

This is more specifically for Chinese GAF, but if your culture has something similar, don't be afraid to chime in.

I was watching TV, and it suddenly occurred to me that us Chinese have something more "devastating" than the friend zone. I call it the sibling-zone. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically you telling someone you see them like a brother or sister. It sounds closer than friends, but it's probably even worse than the friend zone. Seems more popular among Chinese. I've definitely seen it a few times in Chinese TV shows. I've sibling zoned someone in high school too. Only saw them more like a sister than anything. Has anyone seen it, done it, or familiar with it? This has some serious trolling potential in my mind. I just can't figure out an angle yet.

This is more specifically for Chinese GAF, but if your culture has something similar, don't be afraid to chime in.

I was watching TV, and it suddenly occurred to me that us Chinese have something more "devastating" than the friend zone. I call it the sibling-zone. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically you telling someone you see them like a brother or sister. It sounds closer than friends, but it's probably even worse than the friend zone. Seems more popular among Chinese. I've definitely seen it a few times in Chinese TV shows. I've sibling zoned someone in high school too. Only saw them more like a sister than anything. Has anyone seen it, done it, or familiar with it? This has some serious trolling potential in my mind. I just can't figure out an angle yet.

friendzone is a bit of a misnomer though.

cuz it begins at a place where a duder think that he is OWED something more than friendsness. so being 'demoted' to a friendzone is 'devastating'

but ya. i do notice the same 'scenarios' in some chinese dramas. i guess i've done my share too :x im so horrible but i've told a few duders that i see them more like 'little brothers' (emphasizing little) :x

i hope zeus wont strike me with lightning where i stand x____x but immature, entitled, whiny duders are so sexually unappealing, and to emphasize age (or little brotherness) has been a delicious slightly-trollish thing that i am guilty of

Edit: i think similar thing can work in reverse if a girl is turned down by emphasizing that she is too much of an 'older sister' to the person. :x

cuz it begins at a place where a duder think that he is OWED something more than friendsness. so being 'demoted' to a friendzone is 'devastating'

but ya. i do notice the same 'scenarios' in some chinese dramas. i guess i've done my share too :x im so horrible but i've told a few duders that i see them more like 'little brothers' (emphasizing little) :x

i hope zeus wont strike me with lightning where i stand x____x but immature, entitled, whiny duders are so sexually unappealing, and to emphasize age (or little brotherness) has been a delicious slightly-trollish thing that i am guilty of
For sure. To be clear, I wasn't even attracted to these girls (maybe they thought I was), but what I find insulting was that they would bring it up and then not follow through. As an only child, I considered it quite an honor to be considered like someone's brother. But then we all graduated high school and went our separate ways, and then these "sisters" never bothered to talk to me again. Hmm.

Oh, so here's a follow up question: if a guy you're interested in may or may not be also interested in you (but you can't tell) never takes the initiative to make a move on you, does it feel like he's friend zoning you? Having been on the guy's end, I know the window of opportunity closes and probably won't open again, but is that why?

For sure. To be clear, I wasn't even attracted to these girls (maybe they thought I was), but what I find insulting was that they would bring it up and then not follow through. As an only child, I considered it quite an honor to be considered like someone's brother. But then we all graduated high school and went our separate ways, and then these "sisters" never bothered to talk to me again. Hmm.

Oh, so here's a follow up question: if a guy you're interested in may or may not be also interested in you (but you can't tell) never takes the initiative to make a move on you, does it feel like he's friend zoning you? Having been on the guy's end, I know the window of opportunity closes and probably won't open again, but is that why?

.... I grew up with a onikon~ x___x;;; Im not proud of it waaaah

Like. Uh, I idolised the older brother archetype for the longest time, but ya i didnt realise it would injure some dudes' sense of esteem when I said "you are like a brother to me"

Those "sisters" sound avoidance as fuck though :< Glad you didnt let it peg you down!

Oh. If I can't tell, I usually just treat them as a normal friend... even if I'm interested in him. So no, it doesnt feel like he's friendzoning me as in it's something that he's actively and consciously doing, per se.

But IDK.... I dont think I've actually experienced this :< So only theoretizing.

Disclaimer: I'm bi and I'm mostly attracted to girls :x I've been attracted to guys but it's been on the rarer side. I like talking and girls are generally better at talking??? Personal experience of course. Im sure there's lots of guys that are awesome at talking / engaging but ya.... growing up, most of the guys I've met weren't very interested in talking seriously. More physical oriented, like.

Like. Uh, I idolised the older brother archetype for the longest time, but ya i didnt realise it would injure some dudes' sense of esteem when I said "you are like a brother to me"

Those "sisters" sound avoidance as fuck though :< Glad you didnt let it peg you down!

Oh. If I can't tell, I usually just treat them as a normal friend... even if I'm interested in him. So no, it doesnt feel like he's friendzoning me as in it's something that he's actively and consciously doing, per se.

But IDK.... I dont think I've actually experienced this :< So only theoretizing.

Disclaimer: I'm bi and I'm mostly attracted to girls :x I've been attracted to guys but it's been on the rarer side. I like talking and girls are generally better at talking??? Personal experience of course. Im sure there's lots of guys that are awesome at talking / engaging but ya.... growing up, most of the guys I've met weren't very interested in talking seriously. More physical oriented, like.

Depends heavily on the topic that you want to converse about. I'm an introvert by nature, but when it comes to the matter of discussing films, I'd probably chat up quite a bit.

Toki767

During high school I was surrounded by other Chinese people who liked to assign family member roles to people. It never made sense to me though.

During high school I was surrounded by other Chinese people who liked to assign family member roles to people. It never made sense to me though.

I did this XD It was fun :> I had school-sisters and school-mother and school-father and school-brothers~

Oh man. Nostalgiaaaa

Warrior_Keoni. I didn't meet a lot of your type :< Most of the guys at high school that I met were full with just blunt desire to have 'good tiemz'... like they had these ideas about taking me to a movie, and holding hands and being happy without really thinking through things :< they were nice, but ... yeah... i donno a bit... hollow

Dont get me wrong though. I wasn't always super confident about being a bisexual, so I repressed it for the longest time. My first relationship was with a boy.

Only later I realised that I've always been very appreciative of girls, as well, and that... it's okay to find them appealing that way.

tl;dr, yesh, im sure loads of guys are awesome conversationalists. i just didnt luck out in that department :<

Oh, okay. Is girl-girl courtship more direct? Or does it have a friendzone equivalent?

Oh, okay. Is girl-girl courtship more direct? Or does it have a friendzone equivalent?

Um. It's more layered, in a way. Not a lot of girls are opened to same-sex relationships either, so first you have to parse through that.

My current GF was my bestie though? Well, is. XD I think the dynamic is more enjoyable for me cuz there's less pressure to be boxed into traditional roles.

:>

And donno about the friendzone equivalent, but there is the "Oh, im just not into girls" equivalent??? XD But ya, in that regard, it can be more direct *nods*

Don't care what it means. I'm just using it as an example of what I'm getting at. That's why I used quotes and devastating. I just think it's funny that our culture has our own version of it and I didn't even realize it.

Doesn't matter if it's older or younger, male or female. It can happen to anyone. I wonder if we assigned these roles because of TV influences?

I did this XD It was fun :> I had school-sisters and school-mother and school-father and school-brothers~

Oh man. Nostalgiaaaa

This never seen it before. I didn't hang out with that many Chinese kids in HS. It's mainly because I'm weird and tend to be more into weird things. Cause in HS, most Chinese kids are expected to be super serious about school and college while I was still buried in paleontology and animal conservation. I hung out with my hippy people.

Edit - I edited this message cause the quotes made it too long.

I've told someone I saw them like a sister, but it turned out I actually really liked her instead.

Kinda why I try not to say stuff like that anymore.

I've told someone I saw them like a sister, but it turned out I actually really liked her instead.

Kinda why I try not to say stuff like that anymore.
That's so cute. Sounds like something from a drama.

Also totally unrelated but I finally caught all non-event Pokemon in X and got a Shiny Charm!

jasonng

I've done this. There was a regular at a bar I worked that had a huge crush on me. It was obvious so everyone would try to get us together. I told my coworkers though that I would never because she looks (and act) alarmingly close to a cousin of mine. You would think that would stop my coworkers to push. You would think that but you'd be wrong.

I've done this. There was a regular at a bar I worked that had a huge crush on me. It was obvious so everyone would try to get us together. I told my coworkers though that I would never because she looks (and act) alarmingly close to a cousin of mine. You would think that would stop my coworkers to push. You would think that but you'd be wrong.

I guess they're ok with cousins. Should have said sister.

Man being friendzoned/LYLAB'd sounds so terrible. I'm glad I never had that experience (at least not by girls I was interested in). Being a poor reader of women has been my issue.

Man being friendzoned/LYLAB'd sounds so terrible. I'm glad I never had that experience (at least not by girls I was interested in). Being a poor reader of women has been my issue.
Which means you did it to them. That's what I was trying to get at.

I've come to realize that I've been on both ends of this shit stick more often than I'd like.

I've noticed as I get older, I just ask them out directly if I like them. No point in wasting anyone's time playing the dating game.

Which means you did it to them. That's what I was trying to get at.

I've come to realize that I've been on both ends of this shit stick more often than I'd like.

I think I friendzoned a girl interested in me once that I didn't feel the same way (she was my close friend's ex not to mention she looked like a female version of her older brother).. The other times I was interested in the girl and she was interested in me (I learn this later on) but I was unaware until it was too late.

I had copious amounts of Malaysian food for dinner last night and dim sum for lunch today and I forgot to take pictures. I failed you Asian-GAF

The lack of love for vegetables here is disturbing. Now that bunny is gone, it's time to talk about eating healthy!

Watercress with Goji soup.

KPeuLD5.gif

Actually, I have a very strange problem. All my life, I've pretty much eaten Chinese, so all of the food and vegetables, I only know the Chinese name. I have no idea Watercress was &#35199;&#27915;&#33756; and plenty of other vegetables and food I don't know the English name for.

Does anyone know where I can learn the proper English names online? There are so many Chinese specific vegetables that I don't know the English names for.

SRG01

Ugh.

I want to say I have faith in people, but I don't. I want to believe people and trust in them.

It's hard because I care so much about the people around me, but I can't help but be disappointed in them. Even harder is when I stumble onto some version of the truth. What do I do then?

It's like with my ex over a year ago. I knew she was straying, and I definitely knew of some of the questionable things that she did. There were other things too, but it boiled down to me actively trusting in her not because of some delusion, but because I needed to have faith in her.

And even now, as I try to forge new friendships and dynamics, I cannot find people that can be truthful and straightforward about things. I'm not talking about the little lies, but rather the things that make people lose trust. Lies about intentions. Lies about who they are as a person. Lies about so many things, so much that I'm just very tired of people right now.

The lack of love for vegetables here is disturbing. Now that bunny is gone, it's time to talk about eating healthy!

KPeuLD5.gif

Actually, I have a very strange problem. All my life, I've pretty much eaten Chinese, so all of the food and vegetables, I only know the Chinese name. I have no idea Watercress was &#35199;&#27915;&#33756; and plenty of other vegetables and food I don't know the English name for.

Does anyone know where I can learn the proper English names online? There are so many Chinese specific vegetables that I don't know the English names for.
I love Chinese vegetables. Growing up, I was always confused why the white people on TV hated veggies. It's because they boil them and make them taste like shit.

Anyway, I know the names of quite a few of them. Is there anything in particular you're wanting to know?

jasonng

KPeuLD5.gif

I really need to learn how to make soup like the way my grandmother did. I used to drink watercress soup when I was a kid all the time.

Did you guys ever want to exchange twitters or something?

I'm slowly using twitter again. I had my account for a long time and I never understood what use I can get out of it. Now I sort of do, I guess.

You can follow me @thisisjasonng. I don't think I'll be posting anything too interesting other than food I've made (only if it came out pretty) and mini rants.

KPeuLD5.gif

I think Wikipedia actually works for this. Go to like the cuisine articles I think.

I love watercress tho

RomanceDawn

Can anyone help me with finding songs sung in Mandarin? Any modern day Chinese singers or something traditional you recommend?

When I put things into youtube I'm never sure of what I'm listening to.

Top Bottom