• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

mercviper

Can anyone help me with finding songs sung in Mandarin? Any modern day Chinese singers or something traditional you recommend?

When I put things into youtube I'm never sure of what I'm listening to.

What do you mean by traditional?

I haven't listened to chinese music in forever but here is an oldie my parents always karaoke to that I believe every Chinese person has heard: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HvnjyFHhysk

As for artists you could look up jay Chou, lee hom wang, and Joey Yung for newer stuff

suzu

Can anyone help me with finding songs sung in Mandarin? Any modern day Chinese singers or something traditional you recommend?

When I put things into youtube I'm never sure of what I'm listening to.

I like some songs from a MEI (A-mei Zhang). Sorry they're all ballads. lol

分生 Alter Ego - http://youtu.be/TUY56p1mpqc
三月 March - http://youtu.be/PLEIU-96CDc
這樣你還要愛我嗎 Do You Still Want To Love Me - http://youtu.be/cFvLq3rPeTk
偏執面 Faces Of Paranoia - http://youtu.be/I49Kec5Pj1Y

Asian Gaf, I have a new pet peeve.

I kind of dislike fictional Asian characters named Jade. I'm not entirely sure why but i feel like the writer is doing their best to get the character to sound as Asian as possible as well as keeping it easy for the audience to pronounce.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

I kind of dislike fictional Asian characters named Jade. I'm not entirely sure why but i feel like the writer is doing their best to get the character to sound as Asian as possible as well as keeping it easy for the audience to pronounce.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

I agree with you. This is really stupid and annoying.

Maybe I'm just crazy.
I knew a real Asian girl called China. Man that was weird. But yeah, guess they're doing an Asian version of Ruby or something.

Lunch today

H6Bt6hE.jpg

clav

My parents really enjoyed Teresa's songs a whole lot.

Popular karaoke songs.

Man that's stuff my parents who are in their 60's grew up listening to...Also, though your suggestion is a good one..it's not even her best song..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv_cEeDlop0

Also, Jacky Cheung (張學友 ) though he's a cantonese singer...he does have mandarin hits..

Yeah, that definitely is her best well-known single.

You hear both songs in instrumental form at supermarkets during the holidays.

mercviper

Anybody else use kitchen scissors to cut their food? I hosted a bunch of my friends over last night and they looked at me funny when I offered the scissors to cut their food when I saw them cutting it with forks since I ran out of knives.

So I just had a Chinese new year family get together thing.

Got the usual, "get married" and "get a girl friend" nagging, but the most frequently talked about subject today, is that my cousin is now dating a African American and passed a picture around. They're kind of okay with it but they're still dropping comments like "oh shes not that black skinned, that's not bad."

I'm also pretty sure my uncle judged her character by how she had her hair. As in her hair wasn't in corn rolls, so she's well mannered.

They use to be really against dating outside of our race (Chinese). I guess they're being kind of progressive? They still get mad at me when I tell them I'm looking for a boyfriend.

It was overall disgusting and if I didn't have my Vita to occupy me, I would have walked out.

I just came back from morning brunch/dim sum with some relatives. I also served them a nice big heaping helping of STFU. God I fucking hate elitism and pretentiousness from upper middle class Chinese people.

You know how some Chinese families like to force their kids into playing a musical instrument or some crap? I know several Gaffers here went through the same thing. I was having tea with my relatives and they were talking about how their kids (around 8 or 9 years old) are now spending weekends learning to play the piano and what not. The older relatives looks at me and says when I have kids, I should let them learn and develop some high class hobbies like that too. I basically told them hell no. I would never waste my time and money on something as useless as music. I want my kids to learn about science, nature, evolution, or technology. Look all the innovations in tech that are developed by Western people. When was the last time a revolutionary tech came out of China? All they do is make cheap knock off versions of other people's tech. What good is music? So they can become cheap pop stars? I think letting them learn some martial arts would be worth more than music. At least it'll help them develop confidence and athleticism. If someone tries to bully my kids, I don't think he can solve those problems by whipping out a piano. Plus, if they learn to play the piano, what good is it if they don't make use of it? If they perform, they're still just monkeys on a stage. High class monkeys maybe, but still monkeys. Even with martial arts, my kids would gain some real life skills if they don't fight on a stage like monkeys. If my kids learn science, they can become someone that can change the world.

That shut them up quick. They quick went oh yeah, that's some real ambition and thinking ahead, and then the quickly change the subject. I could see the embarrassment on their faces. It felt good.

NOTE: I do not actually feel that way about music/musicians/performers. I only said that to up the pretentiousness, and knock my relatives down a few pegs. With my kids, I would definitely not take them to music school, UNLESS THEY WANT TO. I would personally take my kids to the hall of science, museums, and just overall knowledge. I wouldn't force them to be "scientist" either. I want to enlighten their minds and not take lessons just because it seems high class. If they really love music, I would never stand in their way and tell them no. I so fucking hate Chinese elitism and flaunting their money to impress their friends and relatives.

Holy shit, I just came back from one of those too! Just with the nagging and crap.

clav

Got the usual, "get married" and "get a girl friend" nagging, but the most frequently talked about subject today, is that my cousin is now dating a African American and passed a picture around. They're kind of okay with it but they're still dropping comments like "oh shes not that black skinned, that's not bad."

I'm also pretty sure my uncle judged her character by how she had her hair. As in her hair wasn't in corn rolls, so she's well mannered.

They use to be really against dating outside of our race (Chinese). I guess they're being kind of progressive? They still get mad at me when I tell them I'm looking for a boyfriend.

It was overall disgusting and if I didn't have my Vita to occupy me, I would have walked out.

Old people do the "get a girlfriend" + "get married + have a baby already" a lot.

Just be aware of backhanded compliments prevalent in Asian culture.

They're probably thinking well if they're not going to get married yet, then the dating situation is not a problem since it's just dating.

Hey Asian-GAF, I hope everyone is doing great. I miss you guys!

Edit: You guys have been everywhere in the topics, huh? You are all damn crazy. :)

Rainy:
I'm really sorry for your loss, seems times have been cruel. My condolences to you and your family. As hard as things are, I hope that you and everyone are getting better.

On me:
I've found my peace. I was able to to see her one last time, as my friend was able to give me a ride to Houston for her funeral. I know she'll always be with in spirit, and within my heart.

If you want to know more on the person. Please PM me, I'll gladly tell you there.

Thank you all again, you guys really are amazing. :) *hugs you all*

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I just came back from morning brunch/dim sum with some relatives. I also served them a nice big heaping helping of STFU. God I fucking hate elitism and pretentiousness from upper middle class Chinese people.

You know how some Chinese families like to force their kids into playing a musical instrument or some crap? I know several Gaffers here went through the same thing. I was having tea with my relatives and they were talking about how their kids (around 8 or 9 years old) are now spending weekends learning to play the piano and what not. The older relatives looks at me and says when I have kids, I should let them learn and develop some high class hobbies like that too. I basically told them hell no. I would never waste my time and money on something as useless as music. I want my kids to learn about science, nature, evolution, or technology. Look all the innovations in tech that are developed by Western people. When was the last time a revolutionary tech came out of China? All they do is make cheap knock off versions of other people's tech. What good is music? So they can become cheap pop stars? I think letting them learn some martial arts would be worth more than music. At least it'll help them develop confidence and athleticism. If someone tries to bully my kids, I don't think he can solve those problems by whipping out a piano. Plus, if they learn to play the piano, what good is it if they don't make use of it? If they perform, they're still just monkeys on a stage. High class monkeys maybe, but still monkeys. Even with martial arts, my kids would gain some real life skills if they don't fight on a stage like monkeys. If my kids learn science, they can become someone that can change the world.

That shut them up quick. They quick went oh yeah, that's some real ambition and thinking ahead, and then the quickly change the subject. I could see the embarrassment on their faces. It felt good.

NOTE: I do not actually feel that way about music/musicians/performers. I only said that to up the pretentiousness, and knock my relatives down a few pegs. With my kids, I would definitely not take them to music school, UNLESS THEY WANT TO. I would personally take my kids to the hall of science, museums, and just overall knowledge. I wouldn't force them to be "scientist" either. I want to enlighten their minds and not take lessons just because it seems high class. If they really love music, I would never stand in their way and tell them no. I so fucking hate Chinese elitism and flaunting their money to impress their friends and relatives.

Holy shit, I just came back from one of those too! Just with the nagging and crap.

To be fair, though, a familiarity with music and music theory does stimulate the brain and help with understanding mathematical concepts like fractions. It's kind of hard to not take them to music school unless they want to, because hardly any would. I didn't like some aspects of music school when I was a kid, but I didn't really know any better. Sometimes I wish I had done more so that I'd have a cool musical talent besides singing that I'm decent at in adulthood.

If I were in my parents' shoes, I would have had to introduce music to me in a different way to get it to stick better, but if they hadn't done anything at all, I wouldn't have even bothered with it in the first place.

To be fair, though, a familiarity with music and music theory does stimulate the brain and help with understanding mathematical concepts like fractions. It's kind of hard to not take them to music school unless they want to, because hardly any would. I didn't like some aspects of music school when I was a kid, but I didn't really know any better. Sometimes I wish I had done more so that I'd have a cool musical talent besides singing that I'm decent at in adulthood.

If I were in my parents' shoes, I would have had to introduce music to me in a different way to get it to stick better, but if they hadn't done anything at all, I wouldn't have even bothered with it in the first place.

Like I said, I only said it to up the pretentiousness. Besides, I know they didn't get their kids into music because they actually know it stimulates the brain and helps with math. It's a matter of having high class upbringing.

Zhao_Yun

My parents really enjoyed Teresa's songs a whole lot.

My parents still listen to her all the time. In fact I went back home on the weekend and got greeted by her music. My grandma likes to sing her songs in the morning as well.

My mom really liked to listen to all those famous Canto-Pop singers in the 90's as well when I was a kid (like Jacky Cheung or Leon Lai). I think I still know lots of their songs since I was exposed to them nearly every day lol.

My parents still listen to her all the time. In fact I went back home on the weekend and got greeted by her music. My grandma likes to sing her songs in the morning as well.

My mom really liked to listen to all those famous Canto-Pop singers in the 90's as well when I was a kid (like Jacky Cheung or Leon Lai). I think I still know lots of their songs since I was exposed to them nearly every day lol.

I went through the "Four Kings" phase when I was in middle school. For people not familiar or simply lurking the thread, the Chinese Pop singers were: Jacky Cheung, Leon Lai, Aaron Kwon and Andy Lau.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBNJCiQHU8

I'll admit that I used to listen to that song a whole lot too. PARA PARA SAKURA! <_<

StMeph

I went through the "Four Kings" phase when I was in middle school. For people not familiar or simply lurking the thread, the Chinese Pop singers were: Jacky Cheung, Leon Lai, Aaron Kwon and Andy Lau.

I have a cousin named Andy because my aunt was a huge Andy Lau fan. His brother's named Jay, but in that case I am actually not sure if it's related to Jay Chou or not. I suspect not, but I can't say for sure, either.

clav

God I fucking hate elitism and pretentiousness from upper middle class people.

Why? Do you really think that kind of behavior is exclusive to one particular group?

What are your impressions of people who buy nice things? What about Facebook and other social network media?

Why? Do you really think that kind of behavior is exclusive to one particular group?

What are your impressions of people who buy nice things? What about Facebook and other social network media?

People who buy nice things don't tell me I should buy nice things. I can actually make that decision on my own.

OHAI

why is it back to worky time :x noooooooooo

yaay food pron is back \o/ i celebrate you azngaf <3

re: stuck-up relatives, seductivpancakes and cow mengde, bleh! sounds like a tedious family gatherings to go through! :< family can put so much pressure on each other to 'perform' well (monetarily, socially, etc.) .... they dont realise how exclusionary and stressful they can be... x____x

Surprisingly, of all of my elders, the old ones from the old country, both my grandmas don't really give a shit about skin color.

Straight up "who cares?" and "as long as you like it." responses.

I know not a lot of people agree with me, but I rather be neglected than fetishized. I don't think either of them are good, just that one of them is slightly less awful. Again, that's just me.

jasonng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBNJCiQHU8

I'll admit that I used to listen to that song a whole lot too. PARA PARA SAKURA! <_<

You linked the wrong Aaron Kwok song, bro. I laugh every time I go back and watch this video because I used to look up to him when I was a kid. Aaron Kwok was the first celebrity I met.

y2dvd

Anyone been watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? Potential spoilers

They have an asian male character that's a love interest which is pretty cool. The only odd thing to me is he's supposed to be Viet, but sounds more Chinese. I'm sure the actor is asian-american though.

Anyways, highly enjoyed the show!

jasonng

They have an asian male character that's a love interest which is pretty cool. The only odd thing to me is he's supposed to be Viet, but sounds more Chinese. I'm sure the actor is asian-american though.

Haven't gotten that far in yet but I'm absolutely loving the show. I'm getting my 30 Rock fix and it feels so good.

Oh man, I wouldn't mind being Ellie Kemper's love interest. Daaaayum.

Edit: Wait a minute. He's a youtuber!

According to imdb
he's Korean

Hot Pot Buffet for dinner!

My favorite thing to eat right now in the winter is Mongolian hot pot (although Little Sheep has gone down in quality..went to this awesome place a few years back in Taiwan though, can't remember the name). You don't even need sauce for that because the broth is so good and hearty.

StMeph

I've never been a fan of regular hot pot, which used to be a problem because my mother loved it during winters. Boiling food is just about the most boring way to eat something, and then you're basically eating sauce because there isn't any flavor otherwise. Have you seen the caloric content of &#27801;&#33590;&#37233;? It's ridiculous.

That said, the super-spicy versions (&#40635;&#36771;&#37707;) can be really good with a good soup base.

I've never been a fan of regular hot pot, which used to be a problem because my mother loved it during winters. Boiling food is just about the most boring way to eat something, and then you're basically eating sauce because there isn't any flavor otherwise. Have you seen the caloric content of &#27801;&#33590;&#37233;? It's ridiculous.

That said, the super-spicy versions (&#40635;&#36771;&#37707;) can be really good with a good soup base.

That's the beauty of Mongolian hot pot (though I don't know the caloric content of the soup base). You have this hearty soup base and as the meat cooks, it absorbs the soup flavor. Also leftover soup can be taken home and used as a cooking base or even better, throw in some noodles and leftovers and you got yourself an awesome noodle soup.

That's the beauty of Mongolian hot pot (though I don't know the caloric content of the soup base). You have this hearty soup base and as the meat cooks, it absorbs the soup flavor. Also leftover soup can be taken home and used as a cooking base or even better, throw in some noodles and leftovers and you got yourself an awesome noodle soup.

this this this <3

i love mongolian hot pots <3 they are called little lamb here :D wheeeeeeeeeeee

It doesn't even have to be Mongolian, you can make your own soup base to cook your meat and vegetables with it. We use some chicken broth with some other stuff that I don't remember.

It doesn't even have to be Mongolian, you can make your own soup base to cook your meat and vegetables with it. We use some chicken broth with some other stuff that I don't remember.

Taste different....I love all kinds of hot pot..it's not the same as just putting chicken broth and some other stuff(well i guess what some other stuff is)

So I was talking to my cousin, who does not live in Australia and then I suddenly realise the divide between AsianAsian (Asians who still live in Asia) and AsianEmigrated... Basically, cousin revealed that she doesn't think I'm really all that Asian, ... she phrased it not like realAsian vs fakeAsian, but more like.... she feels that we are very, very different and, in her words, "I dont think you can feel at home anymore if you move back and live in Asia."

And then I noticed that this thread is mostly full with Asians who are living in America/Canada/Australia, etc. and it piques my curiosity with regards to ... is there a lot of AsianGAF who are still living in Asia? I wanna hear your voice, yoooo

Do you guys think there's a huge difference between Asians who live in Asia and Asians who has moved away?

Rainy

Banned
I think there is definitely some type of tangible difference. The culture that we grow up in, or spend a lot of time in, influences our viewpoints, beliefs, and our understanding of the things around us. So when you drastically change the environment those things change along with it. I kinda get what your cousin was saying.

Top Bottom