• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

SRG01

To destroy also came up with the Chinese dictionary I was using I believe it may be the case the royalty connotation is archaic (Probably has to do with Conqueror definition with it as well) since your right that most dictionaries only mentions it as a Surname and to Destroy.
Also it's not too surprising that the kanji has the same meaning; though grammar and pronunciation is different most single character words I seen are the same or they would be if the character was a traditional character.

Differences arisen when over the hundreds of years Japan simplified the characters but even those are now sometimes used in Simplified Chinese which I believe is probably the case with 刘.(though it may be also be reversed since well, I don't know any case off the top my head it's possible as well that Japan adopted the simplified character instead of the other way around.)

Japanese Kanji uses the traditional character :)

it's the worst

Instead of missing classes, I now dream about not teaching classes for an entire semester :p

Japanese Kanji uses the traditional character :)

Instead of missing classes, I now dream about not teaching classes for an entire semester :p

Oh sorry I assumed you was talking about it being interesting that Japan used a simplified character since if that was the case its just that some of the Chinese simplified characters used in mainland china was borrowed from Japanese Kanji. I learned Japanese before taking my Chinese Class and so I know many of the Chinese characters because of that but once you get into words that require multiple characters then Japanese and Chinese characters really start to take on different meanings.

Which is why It's a bit confusion for a lot of Chinese and Japanese when visiting their respective countries since quite a few single character words mean the same but without knowing the language it's impossible really to identify what words are single or dual characters.

I think someone with a pretty decent grasp of Chinese characters can get around fine in Japan, and vice versa. When my partner and I went to Japan, he could pretty much figure everything out because he can read Chinese. Because of that, we could figure out most of the signs.

Me on the other hand..... there was a lot of "engo?????" haha

Yeah you can for the most part since even some of the ones in which meanings are changed are only slightly so it still makes sense. That's why I said confusion instead of difficult ; they will be able to read most everything fine but occasions they will come across things for example like 汽車 which means in Japanese "train" but more on the lines of "Bus" in Chinese. Now the single character 車 that's in the above word does mean car in both languages.

Yeah you can for the most part since even some of the ones in which meanings are changed are only slightly so it still makes sense. That's why I said confusion instead of difficult ; they will be able to read most everything fine but occasions they will come across things for example like 汽車 which means in Japanese "train" but more on the lines of "Bus" in Chinese. Now the single character 車 that's in the above word does mean car in both languages.

汽車 means bus in Chinese? I've always used 公共汽车 or 公车 for bus (that's what I was taught). 汽車 means automobile or car.

edit- Nm, I get what you're trying to say here.

LOL how could I! You're so cute!!!

Pls know I'm just playing around, Septie!!! ❤

You = mah azn bro 4 lyfe ��
Yeah, likewise. =)

I don't know how srs people are taking that game (at least one person seems to be taking it real personally), so I'm just checking!

That reminds me, though. A while back I got some LinkedIn requests from some Asian girl from Australia, to whom I have no related contacts and isn't in my industry. Is that you? I know a few GAFers have found my email address somehow, so I was wondering.

RE: Kit Kat: I've never tried to cook them in the oven before. Wouldn't they melt?

Nu. Isn't me. :O septi so popular!!!

Was she from Melbourne?

Haha, ya ... Poor gorlak ;___; he just joined too. I genuinely feel sorry for him ;___;

From Mandarin Class today. I got better at the third tone so now the hardest tone for me to do is actually the first one since I have a deep voice and it the highest pitch I guess so it's very difficult for me to do.

Nu. Isn't me. :O septi so popular!!!

Was she from Melbourne?

Haha, ya ... Poor gorlak ;___; he just joined too. I genuinely feel sorry for him ;___;
I don't know. I tried to go through my contacts, but I didn't see her or remember her name. I just remember thinking it was weird that I would get that connection request at all, and she never messaged me or anything.

From Mandarin Class today. I got better at the third tone so now the hardest tone for me to do is actually the first one since I have a deep voice and it the highest pitch I guess so it's very difficult for me to do.
I have a relatively deep voice, too. Do you play an music? Try using A tone.

Yeah, likewise. =)

I don't know how srs people are taking that game (at least one person seems to be taking it real personally), so I'm just checking!

That reminds me, though. A while back I got some LinkedIn requests from some Asian girl from Australia, to whom I have no related contacts and isn't in my industry. Is that you? I know a few GAFers have found my email address somehow, so I was wondering.

RE: Kit Kat: I've never tried to cook them in the oven before. Wouldn't they melt?

FWz25tc.jpg

Dunno, bag seems to imply it won't.

Septie, override ends the day early by killing a player. I think. Alignments of the overriding player may or may not be disclosed. It's up to the game runner.

I don't know. I tried to go through my contacts, but I didn't see her or remember her name. I just remember thinking it was weird that I would get that connection request at all, and she never messaged me or anything.

I have a relatively deep voice, too. Do you play an music? Try using A tone.

No I haven't done any music. I will probably go to my lăoshī during her office hours for some Solo Practice on it.

Are you guys talking about that game you always play, YNNY? I seem to remember you mentioning it a few times, but my memory. Ack :(.

Oh? TERA? Nu... XD septie and I are playing a gaf forum game atm. It's stupidly fun.

Link is here: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1080623

It's kinda hard to explain but its basically trying to find out who's the wolves in the sheep skin... Sort of thing... Mmm I'm so bad at explaining waauuuu

Septie, halp~

Bunbun should join if interest!!!!! Would be awesome to play with bunbuns one day~~~~

❤

Are you guys talking about that game you always play, YNNY? I seem to remember you mentioning it a few times, but my memory. Ack :(.
It's Mafia, on GAF. GAFia.

Also, I went to STK tonight. Check out this huge steak:

STK_huge_steak_mosaic.jpg

I am so stuffed. I left in the rest of the pic for scale but mosaicked out my stupid face.

nampad

It's funny how the people who should know it the best are the ones who do the casual racism stuff all the time.
I went to get some Döner Kebab yesterday with my brother just to be greeted with "nihao" (we are not chinese) by the turkish guy. At one of my former clients the middle eastern cafeteria cashier liked to call me Jackie Chan.

I am sure they would like it just the same if I run around yelling "Allah Akhbar" and call them Osama Bin Laden.

SystemBug

It's funny how the people who should know it the best are the ones who do the casual racism stuff all the time.
I went to get some Döner Kebab yesterday with my brother just to be greeted with "nihao" (we are not chinese) by the turkish guy. At one of my former clients the middle eastern cafeteria cashier liked to call me Jackie Chan.

I am sure they would like it just the same if I run around yelling "Allah Akhbar" and call them Osama Bin Laden.
Because being called Jackie Chan is akin to being called a terrorist right?

I doubt they were doing it with bad intent.

People trying to be nice to you and your reaction is to straight up call em terrorist.

nampad

People trying to be nice to you and your reaction is to straight up call em terrorist.

I just picked the most famous middle eastern/arabic guy that came to my mind as an example, just like they do. Unfortunately, the choices are quite limited. Pick someone else if it suits you. Also, I don't actually do that because I know it is wrong.

And that Jackie Chan guy wasn't really trying to act nice. It was more of the making stupid jokes kind.

suzu

This is how people usually excuse diet racism. :p

SystemBug

I just picked the most famous middle eastern/arabic guy that came to my mind as an example, just like they do. Unfortunately, the choices are quite limited. Pick someone else if it suits you. Also, I don't actually do that because I know it is wrong.

And that Jackie Chan guy wasn't really trying to act nice. It was more of the making stupid jokes kind.

I am seen as terrorist by every racial group (other than my own or darker), asian people and white people have no problem calling me a terrorist straight to my face. or say I look like one.

My color has been so marginalized in society that the only people that comes to their mind is a former leader of a terrorist organization.

Do you even know how that fucking feels?

SystemBug

Hey y'all, let's not fight about who has it worse, yeah?

I think it's pretty counterproductive to try and compare which kind of person has it worse.

Kinda off topic, but someone told me they thought I was an Asian Baby Girl ahahaha. When I revealed that I was super into a) books, and b) gaming, she was super surprised.

Going to take that as a compliment :p

[Though, I'm pretty much the Geeky Asian Girl...]

you are right. sorry nampad

SystemBug

It's from the Fong brothers 15 types of Asian girls YouTube video.

:D

I also went through a dating AZN gangstas (both real and fake ones) when I was younger. I mean...they were hot, but honestly the one guy that was in prison was sweeter than many other guys. The other was an ass.

I only dated two guys that were in prison before though. Sample size is a little small.

bruh

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
In my high school / college days (like 1999 to 2007) in SoCal, the main archetypes were:
- Whitewashed Asian
- Azn Asian
- Nerd Asian
- FOB Asian

If you were confused by this and didn't know which one you were, you were probably half-whitewashed + half-nerd Asian.
I think nowadays the AZN pride Asians are on the decline, or merged with the EDM people.

I had no idea those categories existed and I live in an Asian enclave basically.

ME TOO :O

WOW

categories!!! so excite~ can... can i switch class later or will i get penalties

i wanna be the one with dual wield weapon

pls

^_______^

thankie for answers and clip. will watch once got off work <3

In my high school / college days (like 1999 to 2007) in SoCal, the main archetypes were:
- Whitewashed Asian
- Azn Asian
- Nerd Asian
- FOB Asian

If you were confused by this and didn't know which one you were, you were probably half-whitewashed + half-nerd Asian.
I think nowadays the AZN pride Asians are on the decline, or merged with the EDM people.

Man all we had in NY was regular American Asian and FOB Asian. You West coast people are so sophisticated with your Asian archetypes.

SRG01

The people at my car dealership are the worst. Good thing I'm getting rid of my car soon so I don't have to deal with this bullshit anymore.

All I can think of is family guy with this story. If only they were white so you could call them Ethan hawke.

i now have seen the yt clip and is educated on the aznbbygirl category

needs clips of other categories pls~~

https://youtu.be/qW1a3UOAIaw

This is the one backslash bunny was talking about and there one most people I know reference.

The people at my car dealership are the worst. Good thing I'm getting rid of my car soon so I don't have to deal with this bullshit anymore.
Yeah, I bought a new car that's pretty nice and my dealer still sucks. I really don't get why they all seem so bad. I haven't had trouble when I had German cars but other companies are terrible :/

SRG01

Yeah, I bought a new car that's pretty nice and my dealer still sucks. I really don't get why they all seem so bad. I haven't had trouble when I had German cars but other companies are terrible :/

That's the thing I don't get. No industry out there can get away with this level of rudeness and incompetence.

Top Bottom