• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

That's the thing I don't get. No industry out there can get away with this level of rudeness and incompetence.
Yeah, even more so when you consider the cost you're paying for it too. Plus I'm younger and bought a nice sorts car, like wouldn't you want to treat me well so I stay a customer of yours? Instead now I dread going there and wind up going elsewhere whenever humanly possible.

Edit: like imagine buying a watch, shoes, handbags, whatever for a fraction of what you paid for your car and getting the same service you get a car dealership. That place would be out of businesses in a month.

Alright, Asian-GAF. I'm heading over to South Korea in a few weeks to have an incredibly awkward family reunion with people that I have the inability to communicate with. My parents have also explicitly stated that they want to hook me up with some people they know over there.

I need places to go in Seoul that I can escape to. Preferably restaurants, but I'm not picky.

I'll also be heading over to Tokyo and Kyoto afterwards, so maybe some recommendations for places to visit over there would be nice too.

nampad

I am seen as terrorist by every racial group (other than my own or darker), asian people and white people have no problem calling me a terrorist straight to my face. or say I look like one.

My color has been so marginalized in society that the only people that comes to their mind is a former leader of a terrorist organization.

Do you even know how that fucking feels?

No and I guess it sucks. But only because you experience worse racism, that doesn't make my issues "ok".

People don't think about the stupid stuff they say even if they should know better and that is pretty much what I am getting at. And once again, I don't go around calling people that, I just said if I would be an idiot I would.

SRG01

Yeah, even more so when you consider the cost you're paying for it too. Plus I'm younger and bought a nice sorts car, like wouldn't you want to treat me well so I stay a customer of yours? Instead now I dread going there and wind up going elsewhere whenever humanly possible.

Edit: like imagine buying a watch, shoes, handbags, whatever for a fraction of what you paid for your car and getting the same service you get a car dealership. That place would be out of businesses in a month.

Exactly. It's not like they have a complete monopoly on what they do either. There are always other shops to get the work done.

I'm currently looking at a Mazda 3 or a Toyota Yaris. It's either I go with something a bit more pricey and fun to drive (Mazda 3) or something more fuel efficient that will cost me less over time (Yaris).

Of course, I could splurge for the Volt when it does come out, but it's $40k without incentives.

Got done with my first day of classes which consisted of Operating Systems and Intro to Networking, oh and I stood in the boiling sun for an hour to get a parking permit.

No HW yet but gonna read the first chapter of the textbook for each class, man this semester is gonna suck.

Exactly. It's not like they have a complete monopoly on what they do either. There are always other shops to get the work done.

I'm currently looking at a Mazda 3 or a Toyota Yaris. It's either I go with something a bit more pricey and fun to drive (Mazda 3) or something more fuel efficient that will cost me less over time (Yaris).

Of course, I could splurge for the Volt when it does come out, but it's $40k without incentives.

i has a toyota yaris srx! it's cute and awesome and fuel efficient and very zippy :D

love it~

clav

Problem is European + most luxury car manufacturers are now making their cars less independent shop serviceable because they require dealer computers for diagnosing. Things like oil dip sticks don't exist, and crucial parts that require replacement within 5 years are now the norm due to plastic construction.

Most Asian + American (at least Ford) cars have not gone completely down that road. Hybrids are somewhat there for some parts (e.g. keyless ignition systems).

Between those two cars, I would choose Mazda 3 for safety.

Oh my god, that car sounds perfect for your personality.

<33333
Yeah, that's pretty much what I would imagine she drives in my head. :lol

Any computer game recommendations? I'm playing through King's quest currently.

Edit: Bunny, let us know how the scooter turns out. I'm curious but too cheap to be the guinea pig.

SRG01

i has a toyota yaris srx! it's cute and awesome and fuel efficient and very zippy :D

love it~

My coworker used to drive a Yaris, and my jaw dropped when she told me about the turning radius. I'm driving a Lancer 03 and the turning radius is atrocious on this thing.

Problem is European + most luxury car manufacturers are now making their cars less independent shop serviceable because they require dealer computers for diagnosing. Things like oil dip sticks don't exist, and crucial parts that require replacement within 5 years are now the norm due to plastic construction.

Most Asian + American (at least Ford) cars have not gone completely down that road. Hybrids are somewhat there for some parts (e.g. keyless ignition systems).

Between those two cars, I would choose Mazda 3 for safety.

Yeah, I looked at the Mazda 3 and was surprised at all the reviews about its safety. It's a hatchback though... but the Yaris is a hatchback too.

Edit: Bunny, let us know how the scooter turns out. I'm curious but too cheap to be the guinea pig.

Do I even have to recommend MGSV? :D Although, I bought it full price in Canadian dollars :( Feels bad man.

You could also get the classic D&D gold box games on GOG too.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I would imagine she drives in my head. :lol

amg i love king's quest!!!! which one are you plaayinngggg?? :D

bunbuns, hahaha, yesh i love me my lil cars. they so easy to park, too ^_____^ what does bunbuns drive :O a .... a four-wheel SUV? a ... luxury sedan?.... a tank? batmobile?

^_______^

My coworker used to drive a Yaris, and my jaw dropped when she told me about the turning radius. I'm driving a Lancer 03 and the turning radius is atrocious on this thing.

Yeah, I looked at the Mazda 3 and was surprised at all the reviews about its safety. It's a hatchback though... but the Yaris is a hatchback too.

Do I even have to recommend MGSV? :D Although, I bought it full price in Canadian dollars :( Feels bad man.

You could also get the classic D&D gold box games on GOG too.

I'm waiting for my collectors to come for ps4. Still salty no pc limited edition. I forgot grandia ii hd is on gog! I hope it's still on sale.

Edit: missed out on grandia. Damn moving to a new apartment!
amg i love king's quest!!!! which one are you plaayinngggg?? :D

bunbuns, hahaha, yesh i love me my lil cars. they so easy to park, too ^_____^ what does bunbuns drive :O a .... a four-wheel SUV? a ... luxury sedan?.... a tank? batmobile?

^_______^

Literally the first one which is like dos or something? I've only watched friends play so I'm trying to play through them all so I can play the one that came out last year. I've really been getting into P&c a lot again.

And yeah little cats are incredible. Still miss my vw cabrio. RIP friend :(

I almost got a mini cooper or a miata instead of my current car because I wanted small.

I like how you get more classier, but then you threw a tank in there

a gal has needs ^___^ dont judge~

I'm waiting for my collectors to come for ps4. Still salty no pc limited edition. I forgot grandia ii hd is on gog! I hope it's still on sale.

Edit: missed out on grandia. Damn moving to a new apartment!

Literally the first one which is like dos or something? I've only watched friends play so I'm trying to play through them all so I can play the one that came out last year. I've really been getting into P&c a lot again.

And yeah little cats are incredible. Still miss my vw cabrio. RIP friend :(

I almost got a mini cooper or a miata instead of my current car because I wanted small.

little cats are incredible yep :D

ohhhhh the first one *___________* such memories :D i love the 3rd one and the 5th one, but they were all very fun :D

i love graphic adventure games :D if you like king's quest, i can rec kyrandia as well. very cute :D

Haha, nope, I drive a cute little Corolla. My next car is going to be the IS250 though. I like luxury sedans (the IS250 doesn't count, right?), but they tend to be too large. My dad drives a RX400... and it's really comfortable but I can't park it :(

Now I want a tank. @___@.

Or a Batmobile.

Or a car that produces mountains of cotton candy. I don't know what kind of car that is but I need it now.

If I buy it. I'm trying to not spend so much money. Been splurging recently, haha.

shhh, you're my guinea pig. You're not allowed to back out now!

:p

And why have you not purchased candy machine yet? You use it a lot more than you think you would.

a gal has needs ^___^ dont judge~

little cats are incredible yep :D

ohhhhh the first one *___________* such memories :D i love the 3rd one and the 5th one, but they were all very fun :D

i love graphic adventure games :D if you like king's quest, i can rec kyrandia as well. very cute :D

Sweet, I'll add it to my list :D

I want a comfortable self driving car even if it looks like a goddamn piece of junk on the outside. Imagine how amazing any normal commute would be. Hop in, read a book, take a nap, play some videogames, watch a show etc..

SystemBug

I want a comfortable self driving car even if it looks like a goddamn piece of junk on the outside. Imagine how amazing any normal commute would be. Hop in, read a book, take a nap, play some videogames, watch a show etc..
I want a self driving car because I don't know how to drive lol

SystemBug

/asiandriverjoke
Oh man lol.

I just kinda mainly walk everywhere. About 2 hours each day. Would be much less if I lived in an actual city and not some small town lol.

Have to go pick up MGS V today and I gotta walk like an hour to the closest store which has it :(

I'll buy a self-driving car when everyone else also buys them. I don't trust other drivers enough to be in a car that perfectly follows traffic laws when other drivers will just do whatever the hell they want.

Until then, I'm gunning for a Tesla.

Have to go pick up MGS V today and I gotta walk like an hour to the closest store which has it :(
It's really good.

Erheller

Should I start from the beginning?

If you have the time, yes, start from Metal Gear Solid 1 (Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 are more or less optional) and play every canon game in order of release.

That's MGS1 > MGS2 > MGS3 > MGS4 > Peace Walker > Ground Zeroes > MGS5

Peace Walker is a good PSP game, but a lot of people didn't enjoy it because of the handheld's limitations. You can skip it if you really want to and read a synopsis.

Alternatively, since MGS5 is about Big Boss, you can play only the canon games he's in: MGS3 > Peace Walker > Ground Zeroes > MGS5. You'll miss out on a lot of references and the like, but the plot will make sense (as much as an MGS plot can make sense).

clav

If you have the time, yes, start from Metal Gear Solid 1 (Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 are more or less optional) and play every canon game in order of release.

That's MGS1 > MGS2 > MGS3 > MGS4 > Peace Walker > Ground Zeroes > MGS5

Peace Walker is a good PSP game, but a lot of people didn't enjoy it because of the handheld's limitations. You can skip it if you really want to and read a synopsis.

Alternatively, since MGS5 is about Big Boss, you can play only the canon games he's in: MGS3 > Peace Walker > Ground Zeroes > MGS5. You'll miss out on a lot of references and the like, but the plot will make sense (as much as an MGS plot can make sense).
What system would you play them?

Erheller

What system would you play them?

Metal Gear Solid is on PSN, I think you can play that version on PS3, PSP, or Vita. Not sure about PS4. I think there's a PC version around somewhere, but I imagine it's difficult to get legally.

There's PS3 and 360 Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, which has MGS2, MGS3, and Peace Walker.

MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive. The PS3 also has the Metal Gear Solid: Legacy Collection which has everything from the HD collection, as well as MGS4.

Ground Zeroes and MGS5 are on both current-gen and last-gen consoles, as well as PC.

Basically, if you have a PS3, grab MGS from PSN and the Legacy Collection.
If you have a 360, get the HD Collection, but you'll be missing out on MGS and MGS4.
Then get Ground Zeroes and MGS5 on your platform of choice.

Sober

No, it is something you should feel horrible about enough to make it lower your self worth. It's seriously that good.
lol no, MGS might be good but it's good and that's about it.

I only played GZ and it was intriguing as a game, so MGS5 might be interesting too but I have little to no interest in it right now.

Actually I watched MGS1 to PW on youtube, felt like that was enough. Maybe I'll just watch MGS5 on youtube as well, play it later.

I mean people love it but if you're gonna pillory someone for not playing MGS that's a pretty shitty attitude to have, just saying. I have a lot of issues with some of the stuff like the dumb fiction surrounding the game and all that. I won't presume the judge the games on how it plays as a game as I haven't. But let's not pretend that the story to the games isn't just convoluted garbage most of the time, and it made sense to me all the way through. IMO Kojima needs an editor, or a better one. But I guess that point is moot now.

SystemBug

lol no, MGS might be good but it's good and that's about it.

I only played GZ and it was intriguing as a game, so MGS5 might be interesting too but I have little to no interest in it right now.

Actually I watched MGS1 to PW on youtube, felt like that was enough. Maybe I'll just watch MGS5 on youtube as well, play it later.

I mean people love it but if you're gonna pillory someone for not playing MGS that's a pretty shitty attitude to have, just saying. I have a lot of issues with some of the stuff like the dumb fiction surrounding the game and all that. I won't presume the judge the games on how it plays as a game as I haven't. But let's not pretend that the story to the games isn't just convoluted garbage most of the time, and it made sense to me all the way through. IMO Kojima needs an editor, or a better one. But I guess that point is moot now.
Lol MGS was doing things that most games weren't even doing at the time.

Sure its easy to look back on it and say "lol dumb" but at the time it was ground breaking.

It's like playing Ocarina of Time today. It kinda sucks but you have to appreciate what it did.

And the guy really was just being sarcastic.

Sober

I don't know if it's sad that MGS still doing seemingly more interesting things in that same space than games right now. Dunno why the game has to go outright and say, "The METAL GEAR SOLID team continues to ambitiously explore mature themes such as the psychology of warfare and the atrocities that result from those that engage in its vicious cycle." Seems a little odd to have to advertise that point, like people won't get it otherwise. But sadly, still better than most AAA efforts.

Also yes, I suppose I knew it was a sarcastic remark but these days I've honestly just been getting annoyed with being told and telling people what they must consume or it's off to the pillory because my word is canon or certain titles/franchise are sacrosanct/if you object you aren't a real X/Y/Z. Or maybe it's just because insomnia. Rambling now.

Goddamn at all these glowing reviews of MGSV. Gonna wait until the hype subsides before actually picking up the game. I'm disappointed at hearing about all the microtransactions bullshit going on.

I've never touched MGS3 nor MGS2 and couldn't find time to play Peacewalker. I don't think I'll ever be able to find time nor dedicate time to playing any of those titles. Hopefully there's a nice playthrough of MGS3 and Peacewalker on the youtubes..

SRG01

I can't even play MGSV for extended periods because it triggers my motion sickness. I even turned off camera shake, motion blur, depth of field, etc and I'm still getting nauseous :(

I can't even play MGSV for extended periods because it triggers my motion sickness. I even turned off camera shake, motion blur, depth of field, etc and I'm still getting nauseous :(
I switched between MGSV and Arkham Knight last night, and the drop in frame rate was really jarring. Like, to me, 30 fps looks fine if I just see it on its own, but it looks like a friggin' slide show when juxtaposed to 60.

Public Enemies was basically unwatchable for me
because it totally sucked; what a piece of shit movie. Johnny Depp and Christian Bale both phoned it in and didn't even have scenes together. But also
because it kept switching from film to camcorder, and the change in frame rate was disgusting.

SystemBug

So Asian gaf. What's up? How did your summer go? Any regrets? Any summer flings? Come guys and girls lets socialize!

I'm lonely

cdyhybrid

I had a summer fling.

Now my car sprung a flat tire on me when I have to go cat-sit for the next two weeks and I'm borderline broke until I get paid in two weeks.

Happy 70th anniversary on the Victory over Japan in WW2 to all my Asian Gaffers. Nothing against the Japanese Gaffers. It's your government and idiots that I hate. I don't hate Japanese people.

Of course there is no thread or twitter trend for this big event today.

SystemBug

Happy 70th anniversary on the Victory over Japan in WW2 to all my Asian Gaffers. Nothing against the Japanese Gaffers. It's your government and idiots that I hate. I don't hate Japanese people.

Of course there is no thread or twitter trend for this big event today.
Oh yeah by dropping two atomic bombs on civilian populations no less

zeemumu

Oh yeah by dropping two atomic bombs on civilian populations no less

The alternatives weren't much better. I can't place blame on the US government for going with that course of action and I can't blame Japan or any other country from thinking that it's terrible. But we didn't drop them because we were lazy.

Top Bottom