• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Logged in last night when I got home and tried my Uplay passport again with absolutely zero issues. Even took me into the psn store screen to click "download" again.. so strange.

Also... bagged a white whale last night and uploaded the video to facebook fishing for haters :D

aro52

I am. I'm on 4 and missing the trophy for 2. I think I had this issue with Assassins Creed 2 on PS3 as well.

Pretty sure it has something to do with stupid Uplay. I remember seeing a network error message at one point (in-game; not a PSN message), that said I "couldn't use network features anymore". Did a reboot, replayed those last couple memories... nothing. I'm part Trophy whore, but not enough to restart the game entirely. :/

Do you actually feel like an assassin in this version or more like a Terminator? I've played AC2 and Brotherhood and they seemed really easy. I want something to go with BF4 and Resogun on PS4 but I'm hesitant.

Do you actually feel like an assassin in this version or more like a Terminator? I've played AC2 and Brotherhood and they seemed really easy. I want something to go with BF4 and Resogun on PS4 but I'm hesitant.

well you are more squishy than before I think, but you still feel a bit too badass ie: why the fuck do i need to stealth these sections at all?

BigDug13

Is there any possibility that Ubisoft will split this off into its own franchise? I really am digging the next gen Sid Meier's Pirates feel of the game and would love to see that aspect of the franchise explored more.

Not at the expense of still releasing AC games of course, but I really love this one, and the open world sailing is just brilliant.

aro52

Is there any possibility that Ubisoft will split this off into its own franchise? I really am digging the next gen Sid Meier's Pirates feel of the game and would love to see that aspect of the franchise explored more.

Not at the expense of still releasing AC games of course, but I really love this one, and the open world sailing is just brilliant.

The pirate theme is cool, but I'd also love them to do Vikings and Norse mythology next!

Kazerei

Banned

ACIV is also really easy. But IMO the stealth gameplay is alot better in IV, so if you want, you can try to remain undetected and pick everyone off one-by-one. Or you can just charge in there and slaughter everyone.

For folks that have played both the current gen and next gen versions, how drastic and noticeable are the differences?

I ask because my buddy is willing to lend me his copy of the 360 version for free. And the alternative would be buying a copy for my PS4. I suppose what I'm asking here is if the differences between the two versions are worth the 60 bucks.

EDIT: I have no interest in the multiplayer component if it matters.

For folks that have played both the current gen and next gen versions, how drastic and noticeable are the differences?

I ask because my buddy is willing to lend me his copy of the 360 version for free. And the alternative would be buying a copy for my PS4. I suppose what I'm asking here is if the differences between the two versions worth the 60 bucks.

EDIT: I have no interest in the multiplayer component if it matters.

its not 60 bucks worth of difference.

UrbanRats

So, I loved AC2 and Brohood, tolerated Rev, and hated (for the most part) ACIII.
Also wasn't a huge fan of the naval combat, simply because although cool, it was incredibly limited.

Do you think with this premise, ACIV (PC) is worth the 31€? What's the consensus so far?

To be honest i'm intrigued by the thought of fully open world (finally) but worried by the mention of eavesdrop missions, that in AC3 were particularly horrid (with that circle mechanic crap).

And since i won't be getting a WiiU with Mario 3DWorld, i'm half-thinking of taking this one as a cop out plan.

So, I loved AC2 and Brohood, tolerated Rev, and hated (for the most part) ACIII.
Also wasn't a huge fan of the naval combat, simply because although cool, it was incredibly limited.

Do you think with this premise, ACIV (PC) is worth the 31€? What's the consensus so far?

To be honest i'm intrigued by the thought of fully open world (finally) but worried by the mention of eavesdrop missions, that in AC3 were particularly horrid (with that circle mechanic crap).

And since i won't be getting a WiiU with Mario 3DWorld, i'm half-thinking of taking this one as a cop out plan.

The naval batttles are really cool now, a lot bigger in scope. Sailing the open waters and finding a target to hound through the lens of your binocular can feel pretty badass. The feeling of seeing something completely out of your league plowing through the waves, coming after you, is terrifying. It's easily the best part of the game.

I've only encountered a few eavesdrop missions so far, I'm more disappointed at the chase missions. If you're gonna include those, make sure your freerunning mechanic actually works right.

Zalman

I heard this is the best starting point in the series since the first game so I might finally jump into the world of AC.

Roto13

I heard this is the best starting point in the series since the first game so I might finally jump into the world of AC.

Well. This is the start of a new-ish story so it's a better place to jump in than 2 or 3 or the spinoffs. It's also a really good game on its own. If you're interested in playing the games as a series, though, you should probably start at the beginning.

But that's not necessary.

SJRB

Gold Member

It's true - it's the first game in the series that is no direct sequel. Some minor plot details might go over your head without knowing the previous games' story, but overall it's perfectly playable/understandable [as far as these games have an understandable story anyway].

I am wanting to get AssCreed IV, but am thinking of getting it on the WiiU and postponing the purchase of an Xbone till March.

How does it run on the WiiU?? So the graphics really aren't that much of a difference between X1 and WiiU?

Zalman

Well. This is the start of a new-ish story so it's a better place to jump in than 2 or 3 or the spinoffs. It's also a really good game on its own. If you're interested in playing the games as a series, though, you should probably start at the beginning.

But that's not necessary.
There are just too many games at this point. I generally dislike annualized franchises. A friend of mine also told me the first game is pretty repetitive so I really don't feel like playing everything. AC4 seems to be a brand new setting which is why I'm considering it.

Roto13

There are just too many games at this point. I generally dislike annualized franchises. A friend of mine also told me the first game is pretty repetitive so I really don't feel like playing everything. AC4 seems to be a brand new setting which is why I'm considering it.

Go for it, then. Aside from the Ezio trilogy, each game has its own standalone story that takes place some time in the past, as well as part of an overarching modern day story. The first "chapter" of that modern day story ended in the last game.

Mifune

Mehmber

Honestly, I would be surprised if there wasn't a Black Flag 2. Ubi loves its franchises and this way they would get 2 for 1.

Jtrizzy

Damn this game has me hooked, and I usually get sick of AC games after the first few hours. I'll probably be done by the time they do a performance patch (PC) if that even happens.

Zalman

Go for it, then. Aside from the Ezio trilogy, each game has its own standalone story that takes place some time in the past, as well as part of an overarching modern day story. The first "chapter" of that modern day story ended in the last game.
Sounds great, thanks for the info.

Xellos

I am wanting to get AssCreed IV, but am thinking of getting it on the WiiU and postponing the purchase of an Xbone till March.

How does it run on the WiiU?? So the graphics really aren't that much of a difference between X1 and WiiU?

Framerate on the Wii U version is (usually) OK out at sea, but gets choppy in the towns. It's playable but I imagine the X1 version is going to be a lot smoother.

Well I took the time to do all 30 assassination missions hoping that the pistol swords would actually shoot bullets...turns out all it does is add like 2 extra animations during executions and puff a bit of smoke around the blades when the animations pop up...so bummed :/

Derrick01

Banned
An hour in I feel I've made a huge mistake buying this thing. Hopefully it becomes more pirate, less assassin.

It does once you leave that first city. I just got to that point but I'm not finding the game to be that much better so far. I think the sailing from 3 really burned me out on it.

It does once you leave that first city. I just got to that point but I'm not finding the game to be that much better so far. I think the sailing from 3 really burned me out on it.
I've just arrived at Havana and hit this wall. Yup, there's that thing I've spent hours doing in previous games, there's that other thing I've done since the first one. Everything feels instantly familiar and rote so far. I feel at the start of Black Flag as I felt at the end of Brotherhood and 3.

If things don't change sufficiently I only have myself to blame though. I should've known better.

I've been having a blast with this game. I didn't like Revelations, and hated AC3. This game brings me back on the train. This world is pretty, sailing has never been this fun in a game, plenty of good shit to do.... and the stealth actually works again.

They really need to take the combat to the next level though, it hasn't evolved at all.

Lingitiz

I've been having a blast with this game. I didn't like Revelations, and hated AC3. This game brings me back on the train. This world is pretty, sailing has never been this fun in a game, plenty of good shit to do.... and the stealth actually works again.

They really need to take the combat to the next level though, it hasn't evolved at all.

It kinda feels like the combat is a step back from AC3, although it wasn't particularly great in that game either. I felt like the camera and animations flowed a lot better there, or maybe that's just because I preferred Connor's tomahawk attacks.

Derrick01

Banned
Good lord this game is even more boring on the open seas so far. I'm just traveling from one really tiny island to the next gathering whatever random and pointless collectible icon shows up on the map. The sailing and ship combat is still as basic as it was in 3 and I already feel like I've been doing it for 20 hours despite only being out there for 30 minutes. I've already boarded at least 4 ships and it's not dramatic at all because it comes down to killing everyone on the ship with the same awful swordplay that eventually boils down to countering and holding the stick forward to annihilate everyone else automatically. It's actually making me want to go to the next town even though I know it'll be more traditional AC with all of its problems over there.

And this is the game that "redeemed" the series to most people on this forum? How do you guys put up with all of this bad content?

Balphon

It's true - it's the first game in the series that is no direct sequel. Some minor plot details might go over your head without knowing the previous games' story, but overall it's perfectly playable/understandable [as far as these games have an understandable story anyway].

It's still a direct sequel. The larger plot thread that connects the series is put on the backburner in this one, but the modern day stuff is still unlikely to make much sense if you're not familiar with the series.

Likewise, the game mostly presupposes that you're familiar enough with AC3 to already know a lot about Edward without it having to tell you.

Kazerei

Banned
It definitely is which is why I can't see where all the "omg it's sooo much better than 3" comments are coming from. Maybe I'm still too early in the game.

The story missions are way better in IV and III. It sticks to what AC is good at, like tailing, infiltrating, and assassinating. There's too many tailing missions though. But none of the stupid stuff like throw 10 boxes of tea in the harbor, ride around on a horse with Paul Revere, and order lines of soldiers when to fire.

Also, the setting is more interesting. While the cities and towns don't have much variety, the Caribbean is really beautiful, whereas ACIII's Boston, New York, and the frontier were bland and boring.

My god the PC release of this game is buggy. The only reason I stop playing is when the game bugs out and I have to quit it. The first time tonight it was because my boat disappeared which made my crew and I hover in the air. I just had to quit because it kept going to the pause menu over and over and over again, despite trying to back out of it. Crappy optimizations aside, I can't play the game for more than an hour before something screws the whole thing over.

Disabling all HUD elements and sailing around blindly is really cool.. actually looking for things through the fog with your telescope. Saw a ship in the distance barely through the fog, kept getting closer and when it was finally clear it was a huge ship that would have kicked my ass and I spun out of there. Was really neat...

Top Bottom