• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Happens randomly while sailing afaik. Some people get them quick, for others it can take forever.
Hmm weird. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Hey the challenge that says get 100% of total synchronization - does that mean I have to get all optional objectives in missions?

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm weird. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Hey the challenge that says get 100% of total synchronization - does that mean I have to get all optional objectives in missions?

Yup.

They should make them optional (meaning not count towards completion %), or at least let you start at any checkpoint during the mission post-mission so you don't have to redo the entire mission.

Dawg

I was doing this story mission where the 100% objective was not getting seen while going through the jungle. Wasn't that hard, except for one shitty part.

When I finally completed it, second objective popped up: air assassinate a guy on his boat. I get up all high, target the guy and press square button. Right before hitting the target, my character does some fucked up thing where he jumps on a nearby ledge and then kills the guy. Didn't count as air assassination!

Since it was a story guy, the assassin cutscene pops up and I can't reload... I'm going to have to do the other objective again too, won't I?

Carbonox

Hey guys, wanna see what the XB1 version is like on PS4?

Go to a tavern and get drunk.

:lol :lol

Speaking of the tavern, I love how there is a trophy for getting so drunk you wake up in a haystack. Reminds me some great nights out when I was younger. No haystacks mind.

Kvik

I was doing this story mission where the 100% objective was not getting seen while going through the jungle. Wasn't that hard, except for one shitty part.

When I finally completed it, second objective popped up: air assassinate a guy on his boat. I get up all high, target the guy and press square button. Right before hitting the target, my character does some fucked up thing where he jumps on a nearby ledge and then kills the guy. Didn't count as air assassination!

Since it was a story guy, the assassin cutscene pops up and I can't reload... I'm going to have to do the other objective again too, won't I?

Don't tell me, Sequence 9? It happened to me too, except that My target happened to stop right by a patrolling crewman, and I actually assasinated that crewman first, then the target (Of course, It didn't count, and I had to replay from the top, since it already saved the game past the cutscene)

Dawg

Don't tell me, Sequence 9? It happened to me too, except that My target happened to stop right by a patrolling crewman, and I actually assasinated that crewman first, then the target (Of course, It didn't count, and I had to replay from the top, since it already saved the game past the cutscene)

Hah, no. It was actually in one of the early sequences, I believe chapter 4.

is the dlc out yet?

Not in Europe.

Dawg

Ah, must be the pirate hideout one. Some great vistas there!

I remember the rainbow vista from there, even took a pic :)

BbntO4WIEAAsU7U.jpg

Yup.

They should make them optional (meaning not count towards completion %), or at least let you start at any checkpoint during the mission post-mission so you don't have to redo the entire mission.
Yikes. That's a lot of work. Not sure if I can do it.

Teddified

Any gaffers tried out Freedom Cry? Be nice to hear some non-reviewer impressions

What I thought from another thread.

Played about 4 missions, then did all the side content/fully upgraded ship. It's pretty good so far, most of the optional areas are just a small island with 1-3 chests/secret though. The Blunderbuss is pretty cool, and the
Firecrackers
are different, but I don't see myself using them.

There's basically a small town with 3 plantations, then 3 plantations in the overworld, and a lot of smaller little islands with just collectables on them.

I'll finish the missions tomorrow since I think there are only 9 and I have nothing left to do but the missions.

Anything you wish to know?

Dysun

Sounds like more of the same, will wait to hear later on if the story missions are also similar to vanilla Black Flag or if they did anything unique with them.

Lima

When can you start Freedom Cry? Do you have to finish the main story sequences first?

Because I haven't finished the story on Xbox One yet and would then play the DLC on the 360 first.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I went from really loving the game to feeling the grind. Stuff like the boardings should almost be automatic, since there's no way to lose them, but it just takes just a bit too much time to do them. Especially for the two or three lower tier ships.

Still, dropping AC3 in the middle of the first few hours was a great idea, because I'm feeling the urge to do all the AC-related things again. I do miss the whole idea of the Brotherhood and being able to call infinite Assassin's to come and murder any target you want, but hey, they somehow managed to make the combat and the stealth actions even easier with the beserk darts. Good times!

Dawg

I do agree some animations should be skippable. Maybe it's just me, but I hate it when Edward finds another letter in a bottle and I can't skip the cutscene. But then you can skip the scene when you pillaged a ship and picked what to do with it. That small cutscene afterwards is skippable.

I think they should either remove cutscenes you've already seen or at least give you the option to skip them. I just don't like seeing the same thing over and over, it takes too much time.

SJRB

Gold Member
The "trick" about fast boarding is the swivel gun. Enemies always stand in the same spot on every ship, once you know where they're clustered you can often take out all 10 before your crew is even done reeling the ship in.

The downside is that this doesn't work with frigates and especially Man o Wars, simply because they're too tall.

NBtoaster

Where is the fifth templar hunt? I have the key from the story, havana, nassau and kingston. Can't find on the map where the other one is.

CyReN

Finally beat it.

This game saved the series for me, Revelations seemed like DLC potential and 3 was boring and Connor was annoying. Now onto the DLC.

AC2 > Brotherhood/4: Black Flag > Revelations > AC3 > AC1

Field

I just got the game on PS4 couple of days ago. It looks gorgeous. Do you guys feel the need to collect everything before moving on? I did that for the two first villages and small island but I think I will start hating this game if I don't stop that.

Toa TAK

Banned
Freedom Cry was pretty fun. The story is on the smaller scale compared to the main game, even with 9 missions I feel like there could've been more done. But it was good to play in a new environment with Ade and his new toys.

But what is in the box?!

Bebpo

Banned
I set my own ocd collection paths. Since the game is 12 sequences, I divide the map into 3rds and the sequences into 3rds and do 4 story sequences grabbing whatever's on the way and then do a third of the world map 100%, repeat three times.

haven't figured out a way to work the real world stuff in though, so will just marathon all that right before the very end.

SJRB

Gold Member
Freedom Cry was pretty fun. The story is on the smaller scale compared to the main game, even with 9 missions I feel like there could've been more done. But it was good to play in a new environment with Ade and his new toys.

But what is in the box?!

You already finished it? What the fuck, is it that short?

Teddified

But what is in the box?!

It seems the box looks just like the one Shao Jun had, if not the same one. As for whats in it, who knows.

As for Freedom Cry it was quite fun, I think it took me 4-5 hours to 100% it. There was some annoying Optional Objectives, like one that required you not to kill people while you conducted investigations. But overall it was determinately worth $10.

Hasney

Is there an easy way to get the crew recruitment trophy? Just letting my crew die on ship boarding right now to recruit more.

Dawg

Is there an easy way to get the crew recruitment trophy? Just letting my crew die on ship boarding right now to recruit more.

Not that I noticed, are you killing your own crew with the swivel? That'd be the fastest way to loose them.

I could be wrong, but I don't even think you need free space for it to count. I mean, you can still save pirates even when your crew quarters are full.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, Freedom Cry should've been the main game. Liberating a plantation and setting free slaves felt better than anything I did in the main game.

Adewale is great, music is amazing [same composer as the Remember Me soundtrack], the machette is much cooler than the dual swords.

One nitpick though: I don't speak French, Ubi. So I don't understand anything random NPCs say to me, or when characters use French sentences in cutscenes.

Kvik

I assume this is for recruiting 500 crewmen? Save every shipwreck survivor you encounter and don't use fast travel too often. I got the trophy by the time I cleared Sequence 4 (I admit, I raided plenty of Frigates already by then) so YMMV.

What sequence do you unlock rope darts in?

Sequence 11

I assume this is for recruiting 500 crewmen? Save every shipwreck survivor you encounter and don't use fast travel too often. I got the trophy by the time I cleared Sequence 4 (I admit, I raided plenty of Frigates already by then) so YMMV.

Sequence 11

...That's ridiculous. Thought it would be 7 at the latest.

Yeah, Freedom Cry should've been the main game. Liberating a plantation and setting free slaves felt better than anything I did in the main game.

Adewale is great, music is amazing [same composer as the Remember Me soundtrack], the machette is much cooler than the dual swords.

One nitpick though: I don't speak French, Ubi. So I don't understand anything random NPCs say to me, or when characters use French sentences in cutscenes.

I'm actually stopping missions because I want to free all the slaves. It is kind of weird freeing them from a slave auction, going around to knock a guy out from chasing another slave and the when I come back, there's now a cage with slaves spawned near the auction. I mean I knew it was widespread, but goddamn, the bodies from my original attack haven't despawned lol.

Edit: Also, Ade is just so brutal in his kills with the machete. I find myself mugging soldiers just to see his takedowns.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

That's when you enable subtitles.

Danj

Should I get this for PS4 (£17.99 sale + PS+ discount, + £10 PS4 upgrade) for £27.99, or will the PC version go that low in the Steam sale that starts today?

Top Bottom