• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
MirageDwarf said:
Yes. Easy way to get this is use smoke bomb and assassin's blade.

Thanks. You mean the Hidden Blade? No smoke bombs yet.
Then again, I haven't found a group of enemies large enough in any event. If I do manage to aggro to or three groups of 3, I can only get half of them killed before the rest start to flee. Bloody cowards. ;p

Foob

so i'm doing the assassination contract where i have to kill
10 guards (brutes?) in one minute
and I am having a hell of a time. I can't manage to get all of them within the time limit, even with hired help. I've been disarming and using their weapons, but is there a different tactic I should be using?

Baker

Banned
Mejilan said:
Thanks. You mean the Hidden Blade? No smoke bombs yet.
Then again, I haven't found a group of enemies large enough in any event. If I do manage to aggro to or three groups of 3, I can only get half of them killed before the rest start to flee. Bloody cowards. ;p
I got it after one of the early assassinations when an entire army is chasing after you. Instead of fleeing the area I just stuck around a fought for awhile. I didn't even know it was an achievement until it popped up, hehe.

Spasm

Foob said:
and I am having a hell of a time. I can't manage to get all of them within the time limit, even with hired help. I've been disarming and using their weapons, but is there a different tactic I should be using?
Here's what I did.
Hire some thugs, but press Y/Triangle to get them to stay back. Approach the group of brutes as anonymous, and poison a couple. Regroup with your thugs as the poisoned ones go nuts. As soon as they start dying, send in your thugs. While the brutes and thugs are fighting, you can stay anonymous and just assassinate the brutes one at a time
. Easy!

Ranger X

Foob said:

My fav ways of doing it:

- 3 smokebombs + hidden blade.

or

- Courtesans + Poison + Hidden blade (if you fear them to notice you drop a smoke)

Mejilan

Baker said:
I got it after one of the early assassinations when an entire army is chasing after you. Instead of fleeing the area I just stuck around a fought for awhile. I didn't even know it was an achievement until it popped up, hehe.

Good point. I'll wait until my next story assassination. That should be good for a hoot.
AC1 had that annoying Kingdom hub with TONS of enemies. I remember a base or installation of some sort in the western half with tons of respawning enemies. I must have killed something like 100 fools there before I finally got bored and left...

jett

D-Member
Foob said:

You could distract them with any of the various groups you care hire. But the real easy to do is wait until you get the smoke bombs

Zzoram

Ristlager said:
You are supposed to help me, not make it worse :(

If you really can only play one, then tell us what you prefer.

Did you ever play AC1 and did you like it? Have you ever played a Bioware RPG and like it?

Spasm

Question regarding one of the story assassinations where you're supposed to
kill the guy during Carnivale with your pistole anonymously, using the fireworks to mask the sound
. I haven't been able to do this. Tried a couple of times, and I always get notorious. Has anyone done this successfully?

Anyhow, I've moved on, but it'd be nice to try IF/WHEN they patch it so we can replay memories! :D

Holy crap did I hit a glitch last night. I killed an archer and right after he died another one respawned, and all of a sudden archers kept respawing from the exact same spot constantly. The space filled up so quickly, the massive wave of archers threw me off the roof. When I stood up I pointed the camera back up and it was raining archers who died as they hit the ground. Damn I wish I had my video capture hooked up downstairs, it was nuts. I quit shortly after that as I figured the game would crash at any minute.

jett

D-Member
Spasm said:
Question regarding one of the story assassinations where you're supposed to
kill the guy during Carnivale with your pistole anonymously, using the fireworks to mask the sound
. I haven't been able to do this. Tried a couple of times, and I always get notorious. Has anyone done this successfully?

Anyhow, I've moved on, but it'd be nice to try IF/WHEN they patch it so we can replay memories! :D

Well, maybe if you do it from a more inconspicuous location? Surely you're not trying in the middle of the crowd where everyone can see you? :p

UnholySpectacle said:
Holy crap did I hit a glitch last night. I killed an archer and right after he died another one respawned, and all of a sudden archers kept respawing from the exact same spot constantly. The space filled up so quickly, the massive wave of archers threw me off the roof. When I stood up I pointed the camera back up and it was raining archers who died as they hit the ground. Damn I wish I had my video capture hooked up downstairs, it was nuts. I quit shortly after that as I figured the game would crash at any minute.

:lol Holy shit I wish this would happen to me.

duckroll

Spasm said:
Here's what I did.
Hire some thugs, but press Y/Triangle to get them to stay back. Approach the group of brutes as anonymous, and poison a couple. Regroup with your thugs as the poisoned ones go nuts. As soon as they start dying, send in your thugs. While the brutes and thugs are fighting, you can stay anonymous and just assassinate the brutes one at a time
. Easy!

Here's how I did it:

- Hid in the hay near the first group, without triggering the time limit yet.

- Locked on to one brute, threw two knives very quickly before jumping out and running into the group.

- Threw a smoke bomb, did two dual assassinations immediately.

- By now the second group is on to me, so I throw another smoke bomb.

- I blink and it's all over.

Zzoram

UnholySpectacle said:

Glitches like that make games better.

Foob said:

I had a hard time with this and didnt have poison or smoke bombs. A simple way to do it is to hire some hookers and as they are distracted, get behind them and go to work on them with the assassins blades. I got 8 of them before they turned around. So fricking awesome.

Spasm

jett said:
Well, maybe if you do it from a more inconspicuous location? Surely you're not trying in the middle of the crowd where everyone can see you? :p
Well I was 'invisible' in the middle of a group of sluts... But yeah, maybe the middle of the courtyard isn't the best location regardless. :lol

tino

Banned
You know, I start to think not letting you replay the chapters is a conspiracy. Basically they are going to put it in a DLC package. Charged or not it don't matter.

They are going to release it a few months down the road, after the price drop and the bargain shoppers have brought from Gamestop. Making you keep the single-player game for a while, that's the whole point.

BeeDog

wat! My OCD seems to be satisfied, might get a Black Edt. copy tomorrow. :D :D :D I'll join you guys in the circlejerk, let's hope I won't be burned!

sangreal

Anyone know what the deal with the Show your colors achievement is? I've got the cape and I've visited every city but no achievement. I thought maybe it was because I didnt go inside the gates, so I went back to every city again and made sure to enter the gates but still no achievement. Do you have to do something special?

Sean

Banned
sangreal said:
Anyone know what the deal with the Show your colors achievement is? I've got the cape and I've visited every city but no achievement. I thought maybe it was because I didnt go inside the gates, so I went back to every city again and made sure to enter the gates but still no achievement. Do you have to do something special?

You have to visit the mountains area too (where you had the
carriage chase w/ Leonardo
).

UnholySpectacle said:

That happened to a friend of mine. He's found several game crashing bugs that he can reproduce at will. If you double-stab 2 guards in front of a codex room and then double-stab the other 2 while they pull their weapons out the game will crash every time. I told him he has a bright future in QA ahead of him should he desire to work 60 hours a week at minimum wage.

Mana Sin

Aaand the game froze once again. Always when I'm killing folk =/ I'm trying to get the trophy for 10kills in one battle w/o getting hit.

Ranger X

tino said:
You know, I start to think not letting you replay the chapters is a conspiracy. Basically they are going to put it in a DLC package. Charged or not it don't matter.

They are going to release it a few months down the road, after the price drop and the bargain shoppers have brought from Gamestop. Making you keep the single-player game for a while, that's the whole point.

Some of you have a really deep imagination. :lol
Knowing why the memory replay have been cut, I would be surprised to see it come back. I sure can't vouch for that statement of mine here because I don't know their real plans but hey, just saying it really is unprobable.

Valkyr Junkie said:
That happened to a friend of mine. He's found several game crashing bugs that he can reproduce at will. If you double-stab 2 guards in front of a codex room and then double-stab the other 2 while they pull their weapons out the game will crash every time. I told him he has a bright future in QA ahead of him should he desire to work 60 hours a week at minimum wage.

Sadly, the downfall of a large open-worldish game. That's pretty crazy though, I would have liked to see that. So far I'm bug free....(fingers crossed) Although I hit a fucking killer in AC2 where none of the missions would appear on my minimap. Weird as hell.

Sean

Banned
Mana Sin said:
Aaand the game froze once again. Always when I'm killing folk =/ I'm trying to get the trophy for 10kills in one battle w/o getting hit.

Go to the center of Venice, huge landmark with tons of guards, just make em chase you for a bit and throw smoke bombs and take two out at a time with the hidden blade. Very easy that way.

Ranger X said:
Some of you have a really deep imagination. :lol
Knowing why the memory replay have been cut, I would be surprised to see it come back. I sure can't vouch for that statement of mine here because I don't know their real plans but hey, just saying it really is unprobable.

We're gonna keep asking about it until we get official explanation of why this default feature was cut from game. :)

Ranger X

MirageDwarf said:
We're gonna keep asking about it until we get official explanation of why this default feature was cut from game. :)

I suppose that Ubisoft will handle this yeah if you guys are vocal enough :)

Mana Sin

Sean said:
Go to the center of Venice, huge landmark with tons of guards, just make em chase you for a bit and throw smoke bombs and take two out at a time with the hidden blade. Very easy that way.

That's where I'm at. I keep making stupid mistakes though, I need to get my head into the game. //Focus Focus Focus\\

Edit: This is OT, but when does my tag get changed to 'member'? This is my 300th post, and I thought you only needed 200 to get the change done. Ah well..

Ranger X

Imperial Hot said:
After you finish the story can you still continue looking for feathers and going for achievements.

Yes.
Only achievement you can't get when you're past a certain mission is:
kick a guard while driving the flying machine.

Mejilan

MirageDwarf said:

Even the PSP game (which features an Animus-like interface, though no Desmond Miles sequences) allows you to replay Memory Sequences.

It's a damn shame it was cut from AC2. ESPECIALLY if certain gameplay elements (like some of Leonardo Da Vinci's inventions) are one-time affairs! So far, the game has some amazing set-pieces, and it's a VERY long game to replay just to get to that point again...

Mana Sin

The long sword finisher where Ezio up-swings a guard in the crotch as his killing blow is quite amusing, though the sympathy pains made me wince.

If the patch won't re-add the replay feature, what is it likely to contain?

jett

D-Member
Mejilan said:
I imagine moreso bug-fixes over new features/content, no?

Hopefully a better framerate and less screan tearing for the PS3 version.

Maybe they should also get rid of that awful quincunx anti aliasing. :p

Filldough

Just finished the game last night. LOVED it. Still playing though... cant seem to stop, really one of the most enjoyable games I've played. Such a vast improvement over its predecessor, Ubi gets props for what they've done here. They obviously took the user comments from the previous game and made every attempt to address them in earnest and the end result is just a fantastic gaming experience. Cant wait for 3 to see how the whole things wraps up.

2009 might be one of my favorite years in gaming...

NZNova

Just finished DNA Sequence 6 last night.
The carriage chase with Leonardo, and the boat ride to Venice
. The whole
Altair memory of Acre after emerging from the Animus
was a really nice surprise for me as I wasn't expecting it at all. However, I'm a little stuck in there at the moment:
After the 'assassination target' runs along the rampart and closes the door behind himself, and the camera tilts up the tower, I find I can't climb up the tower. I get to a little balcony with a door and a wooden post sticking out above it but Altair just grabs he top of the door and looks up at the post rather than hopping up to grab it.
I messed about with it for a bit and eventually just went to bed. :lol

Mana Sin

If they could sneak in some new dyes or capes I'd enjoy that. I have a bit of an issue with freezing, but whether or not that is due to my Ps3 sucking at installing HDD data or not is unknown to me. I'd take technical improvements over new content though. There's always DLC.

eso76

I would have guessed it would sell considerably worse than its prequel due to weaker marketing campaing (or at least that's the impression i got) and the fact AC1 was a disappointment for a lot of people.

Glad to see it's doing good, it really deserves to. Current GOTY for me, i'm just loving it.

Ranger X

NZNova said:
. The whole
was a really nice surprise for me as I wasn't expecting it at all. However, I'm a little stuck in there at the moment:
After the 'assassination target' runs along the rampart and closes the door behind himself, and the camera tilts up the tower, I find I can't climb up the tower. I get to a little balcony with a door and a wooden post sticking out above it but Altair just grabs he top of the door and looks up at the post rather than hopping up to grab it.

300th person asking this :lol

You can jump left, right or backward after a walling.
In the case here, wall a little on the left that wooden pole and then at the top height of your walling, press jump + directional joystick right

NZNova said:
. The whole

Had the same problem. You can stand right below that post on the balcony and jump straight up. I think I was holding the one trigger button when I jumped. Can't remember which without a controller in front of me.

You aren't supposed to be perched on a ledge - just standing on the actual balcony below the post with the hanging light.

jiien

Valkyr Junkie said:

It's not just in front of a Codex Page rooms. I was doing a story mission, had to clear out an area, and there were four brutes there. So I walked up, double assassinated the closest two, the other two turned to me, and I double assassinated them. The game froze with my blades through their faces. Such an awesome point to freeze, but that was the second time I had the game freeze on me (other time was not in the same type of situation). Such a motivation killer. : (

NZNova said:
. The whole

Yeah. It's confusing. First thing people are gonna try is jump from either side towards pole. Something is wrong because Enzo never grabs pole this way. Try this. Stand exactly under pole and press jump.

Or this:

Ranger X said:

In the case here, wall a little on the left that wooden pole and then at the top height of your walling, press jump + directional joystick right

To be fair, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think this technique is explained anywhere in the game except in one of the tomb.

Mana Sin

Ranger X said:

I've done this twice so far, and I find that the easiest way to do it is to just stand on the ledge of the balcony directly across from the door and jump straight up. It's a guaranteed grab, and there's no risk of accidentally missing your mark and falling to your death.

Edit: Beaten :'(

Mejilan

I figured out the off the wall SIDE jumping on my own, since it was the only way to get a feather in the third area of Florence, IIRC. I don't remember being able to do that in the other 3D ACs, so it was pretty neat when I tried it out and had it work!

Top Bottom